[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quick! You have ten seconds to name the shittiest hipster RPG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 29
File: fo9LAs7.gif (4 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
fo9LAs7.gif
4 MB, 400x225
Quick! You have ten seconds to name the shittiest hipster RPG in existence! Another 10 seconds if you can explain why in a few lines!
>>
>>46934370

>Pathfinder
>I only play it ironically
>>
Dungeon World

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ns2hU3VblFk
>>
>>46934370
F.A.T.A.L. played ironically.

Anal circumference isn't better when ironic
>>
>>46934370

gurps
>>
>>46935090
>virt
>>
>>46934379
It's shit, and literally just D&D with some houserules, but not hipster.
>>
>>46935142
FATAL played unironically can be fun.
>>
>>46935225
Isn't it almost unplayable, meme character creation aside?
>>
>>46934370
A place to fuck each other.

http://buriedwithoutceremony.com/aplacetofuckeachother/

>Another 10 seconds if you can explain why in a few lines!

It's a game literally about lesbian sex. That's it.
>>
>>46935341
(You) get bonus points for it being /u/shit. Holy hell.
>>
>>46935198
But he's right.
>>
>>46934370

13th Age

It's unnecessarily complicated, feels gamey like 4e, as well the book crams the default setting into everything.

That and it makes the same mistakes as 4e with the same Christmas tree magical item syndrome that 4e had
>>
>>46934370
Engine Heart

It's Dungeon World, but worse.
>>
Eoris essence

it's ridiculous unplayable bullshit but I want it anyway indicating it's hipster as fuck
>>
>>46938049
>ridiculous unplayable bullshit
Isn't it similar to WoD with d20s instead of d10s?
>>
Apocalypse World
>If you and another character have sex...
>>
>>46934370
D&D
>>
>>46938307
>D&D
>hipster
>>
>Pathfinder
>I'm a 16 year old fox girl who uses blood magic and can learn spells from eating peoples brains
>>
>>46934370
Dungeons and Dragons

Bad rules and a playerbase that's attracted to it because it's the only P&P they've heard of it.
>>
You poor sweet summer children

You know nothing of the GOLDEN COBRA

http://www.goldencobra.org/submissions.html

>Rose Tattoo is a story-focused scenario about non-conformist characters who are suffering consequences of their live choices. Players are creating their stories, with its rises and falls, which led to the current situation. In each case, the character's story will also consist of some personal, important thing that keeps him on course, represented by his tattoo – an anchor (important thing in life) or a rose (true love).

>The Aftermath explores changes in privilege, power and social expectation due to a short-term physical injury. This mobility impairing injury causes long standing effects social effects, and changes relationships. Using the spoon metaphor, the aftermath explores how one injury changes the lives and relationships of everyone involved.
>>
File: imagine_RickardElimaa.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
imagine_RickardElimaa.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Take the time and watch someone on the street. Who is that person? Where is she going? What happened in that
person’s past that shaped who she is today? How is she like when she’s talking to her friends? Is there a special moment waiting that will turn her life around? What will she do when she will come of old age?

I remember when I did that, trying to come up with answers about someone I didn’t know, and I got that tingling sensation in my gut as if I was riding a roller coaster. The same feeling I got the nights when I lay back in a field, watched the night sky and wondered how vast the universe really was.

A mundane world.
A peaceful place.
Telling instead of acting.
We do this together.
Break the routines!
A story emerges.
No conflict!
We tell to find out.
No pressure. Relax!
Be aware of each other.
We’re all unique. Nourish that.
Tell the first thing that springs into mind.
If you draw a blank, lean back.

Imagine

This is what Imagine will do to us.

We’re going to follow several modern, fictive people and give them depth by
both exploring their memories and to see their hopes and wishes come true.

Time and space will disappear as we become immersed in this fiction together. By sharing and contributing to the fiction we will build a fellowship as we create a collective memory. The rest of the text will show how to tell a collaborative story to accomplish this.

Start by presenting your name and then pick one line below and read it out loud. Pass the list around and let everybody do the same thing. Enforce these things in play!

“I promise to …”
“… be open to learn how to appreciate this game.”
“… leave a blank mind of where we’re going.”
“… keep the world ordinary and peaceful.”
“… support the other participants and their ideas.”
“… ask and discuss if I’m unsure of anything.”
>>
>>46935258
It's not unplayable, just has massive rules bloat. It honestly reminds me of playing 3.5
>>
>>46938816
Hipster claiming the popular thing is hipster.
>>
>>46938956
Holy shit we have a winner.

It takes people watching and makes it an unbearable group activity with oddly specific rules and touchy feely nonsense.
>>
>>46937788
>the same Christmas tree magical item syndrome that 4e had

Confirmed for illiterate.
>>
>>46934370
Pathfinder.

Unbalanced combat (combat maneuvers) , overpowered classes (mage, rogue) and trans iconics.
>>
I mean sheesh if I want to literally get c u c k e d by a game Ill play Depression quest
>>
>>46935225
>So, what'cha playing anon?
>Loli elven girl with 3 years old that was raped at 5 years old, it just works. Small anal circumference
>So, how do you attack the evil king?
>Slap him with my oversized dick
>>
>>46934370
Ten seconds? I name "anything by white wolf".

Why: It's a company doused in pretentious hipster and it seeps into all their products. They don't just make *games*, they make *tools for having a conversation about the nature of humanity* blah blah blah.
>>
>>46939031
>pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
Confirmed for mongoloid
>>
>>46935090
HOW THE FUCK DOES VIRT HAVE NINE SUBSCRIBERS
>>
>D&D
Shitty game, shitty system, only persists out of having been the first.
Stuck in the public eye, and the go-to choice for hipsters.
>>
>>46939651
People pay money to watch circus freaks
>>
>>46939574

Wow you almost swayed me with that. But White Wolf's clichéd undergrad lit crit douchebaggery actually predates hipsterism by more than a decade.

It's close, but IMO it is clearly Eclipse Phase. A shit tier game for shit tier people. They take a pastiche of ideas that have been done before and which the writers don't understand, then tackon psykers and superpowers. Then wrap it in what has to be the shittiest asshole fanbase I've ever seen.

At least White Wolf did something new.
>>
>>46934370
Gurps
>>
>>46934370
Noumenon

Unbearably pretentious. It's high school philosophy and "muh deep symbolism" the game. It doesn't even bother to explain its bullshit to the GM because, let's face it, the author can't. It's all ultimately meaningless.

The gimmicky resolution mechanic is sorta neat though.
>>
Vampire: The Masquerade or Requiem.

Magnet for the 'Dark and edgy' types.
>>
>>46935182

Seconding this.

Convoluted as fuck rules, sooo many books, just niche enough to pass as hipster-tier 'before it was cool' bullshit wankery, and its designed to be used for any genre so they can bring it up ALL the time.
>>
File: WarmthGoldenCobra_WendyGorman.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
WarmthGoldenCobra_WendyGorman.pdf
1 B, 486x500
how about a LARP literally about knitting circles

Once everyone is happily knitting (or crocheting), and is settled with their tea or cinnamon roll or hot cider, whoever is facilitating this event should begin the discussion of warmth. A complete list of warmth related discussion prompts is at the end of these instructions. The facilitator must begin by sharing what they turn to in times of physical coldness. If I were the first facilitator of this activity, I would share that I love nothing more than my soft purple cat blanket, and drinking hot cider with cinnamon whiskey in it, perhaps while reading a nice fanfiction.

The facilitator will then pass the sheet of warmth related discussion topics to the person sitting next them. This person will read the next question/topic aloud, and then pass it along to the next person, if there is one, and so on and so forth, passing the sheet around in a roughly circular manner. If someone is unable to put down their knitting for fear of losing a stitch, a more confident knitter can hold the sheet in front of them, so that they may read without disturbing their stitches. If someone merely needs a few seconds to finish a
row, be gracious. Allow them to finish before starting the next question.
>>
I'm not sure anyone in here actually knows what hipster means. Calling literally the one single mainstream RPG a hipster one...

Failed thread, except for the people who mentioned Imagine or Eoris Essence.

I'd submit Nobilis myself
>>
Wisher theurgist fatalist
>>
>>46940856

I considered posting that, but I'm not sure it counts, since it was probably satire.
>>
File: wtf.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
wtf.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46940856
Forgot the description. It is nobilis but more pretentious. Here is an article on it http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/pleasingfungus/wisher-theurgist-fatalist/
>>
>>46938286

I'm biased because I really like Apocalypse World and personally really enjoy sexuality ad romance as themes to be explored in RP, but I never saw this as an issue. Every one of the "specials" is a small, one-line effect, that gives mechanical consequences to one of the most important parts of the human condition. I've seen it work out really interestingly, especially with the Brainer, where the free deep brain scan can reveal important information.

It's not like it tells you to play anything out, and my group has fades-to-black in other systems. I can see it being an issue if people are really immature about it, or awkward about sexuality in general, but I guess it's just not a game to play with people like that.
>>
>>46934370
Time Wizards.

You know exactly why it's hipster.
>>
>>46940772
Sounds cozy
>>
>more people saying Dungeon World than Apocalypse World
>nobody mentioning less popular games by the same people like In A Wicked Age

As an actual RPG hipster who would gargle Vincent Baker's cock given the chance, I am very disappointed in you /tg/
>>
>>46934370
Hipster? Anything by Jenna Moran.
>>
>>46941988
In a Wicked Age and even Poison'd aren't that bad.
>>
>>46942065
Definitely, I like them a lot.

I'm just mad about people posting Dungeon World when Apocalypse World is RIGHT THERE. It makes me think they've only heard of D&D and D&D clones. That's just sad.
>>
>>46942104
This is a thread for shitty games though, so I have no idea what's your problem with it.
>>
I think the best part of this entire thread is discovering what a bunch of anons think hipster means. Shit's hilarious.
>>
>>46942186
My bad. I read the OP wrong. I thought it was for the most hipster game, not the shittiest hipster game.
>>
>>46940692
The base rules aren't convoluted, I read through its core book once and wondered why this meme exists in the first place. If you can play 3.finder you should have no problem with gurps. It's kind of a shame that gurps was made to encompass everything because the game itself is well designed. If it became focused on one genre, meaning no six gorillion advantages to choose from, and dropped a few optional combat rules then it would be lauded desu.

Maybe I can pull a Paizo and do exactly that. I still wonder how they got away with plagiarism.
>>
>>46935198
He's right about dungeon world, it's one of the worst systems.
>>
>>46943201
They looked at what was under "fair use" and took it.
>>
>>46943267
The thing about fair use is that it won't protect you from being sued it only saves your ass in court whilst being sued. I guess Paizo had the money to spare to duke it out for a few months in court though.
>>
Nicotine girls.
>>
>>46943201
Open Game Liscence. Paizo wasn't the only group to just release 3.5 over again. Wizard encouraged companies to do so with the OGL.
>>
>>46934370
for my choice i submit wraeththu, the game is utter shit, you even need hipster dice to go with your shitty hipster game, the players who play it won't shut the fuck up about it when you actually find one, and the worst past is people somehow like that shit, i don't get it, its just completely ass no matter the direction you look at it.
>>
Fate.

It's like a rules lite game only you take all the abstractness and attach overly complicated and unnecessary rules on top of it.
>>
File: FeelsGoodManYoda.jpg (129 KB, 500x341) Image search: [Google]
FeelsGoodManYoda.jpg
129 KB, 500x341
>>46934370
I just came to this thread to thank OP for making me feel good about myself for not being able to answer his challenge if given all the time in the world.
I don't know any hipster games and have never played a shitty rpg.
>>
File: 20000keks_under_the_sea.png (533 KB, 459x612) Image search: [Google]
20000keks_under_the_sea.png
533 KB, 459x612
>>46935341
>Make a playlist of sad lesbian music ahead of time
It's comedy gold though
>>
File: Character Sheet INSANE.jpg (601 KB, 2000x1560) Image search: [Google]
Character Sheet INSANE.jpg
601 KB, 2000x1560
>>46938079
Oh, it's so much more than that.
>>
>>46943733
Not gonna lie, I actually want to understand this sheet and play a game with it for some reason.
>>
>>46943733
i'mma be honest, but i kind of want to play that because the character sheet looks legitimately good to me.
>>
File: Arduin Eternal.jpg (290 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Arduin Eternal.jpg
290 KB, 1600x1200
>>46934370
Arduin Eternal

>Why?
No one has ever heard of it because their own shitty NDA's prevented them from advertising their own product.
>>
>>46943733

It looks like White-Wolf and Pendragon tried having kids, Only to discover they were related.
>>
>>46943811
>their own shitty NDA's prevented them from advertising their own product.

I need to learn more about this story.
>>
>>46938049
Gonna need a rulebook, mate.
>>
>>46942195

'Hipster' has multiple conflicting definitions

Maybe it's a regional thing? To me hipster = people pretending to ironically enjoy shitty things like PBR and indie music, and ridiculing anyone who earnestly enjoys anything, especially anything popular

IMO the people who said 'playing FATAL ironically' are right

The people who said 'Pathfinder' are hipsters
>>
>>46943811
Is it good, or at least not shit?
>>
File: the-more-you-know.jpg (139 KB, 561x370) Image search: [Google]
the-more-you-know.jpg
139 KB, 561x370
>>46943865
There are hipsters within every subculture. They're the ones who are part of the subculture in order to increase their status, rather than because they sincerely enjoy it. (Some may enjoy it, but this is not the *reason* they participate.)

You can recognize these hipsters because they'll always have more merch than you, will always claim to have been into it before you, will feel the need to lecture you on why you don't *really* understand the lore or the art, etc.

In mainstream conversation, "hipsters" are just that, hipsters of the mainstream culture. Their clothes and interests are exaggerated variants of the norm. Dressing casually became common, so they started dressing like bearded mountain men. Vintage fashion became popular, and they grew handlebar mustaches to match their bowties. Shitty beer was the norm, so they found the shittiest beer they could.

The whole "irony" thing came to view because there's no other way to defend choosing to participate in a lifestyle you don't especially enjoy-- they just enjoy the satisfaction of participation, not the content of the lifestyle itself.
>>
File: ParanoiaJimProfit.jpg (191 KB, 600x790) Image search: [Google]
ParanoiaJimProfit.jpg
191 KB, 600x790
>>46934370
Paranoia.

Because we definitely need to play a game that actively encourages the GM to be an ass-hat who thinks he's always right, along with a politically correct cyberpunk that insists it's edgy. (So basically Deadpool)
>>
>>46943843
Arduin Eternal was in production around 2007-2009. They had a a ridiculous NDA everyone involved including their playtesters had to sign. Their big plan was to shock the gaming community with a return to this "classic" d&d knockoff.

The NDA prevented even mentioning the name of the product the playtesters were testing, so you had people talking about this big new thing and then not mentioning another word about it. People assumed they were talking about D&D 4rth edition which was in development at the same time.

To make things worse and in an act of supream stupidity or paranoia, their NDA also applied to the publisher, so their own publisher wasn't allowed to advertise until release and it was vague enough that they didn't even bother.

So a "game changing classic" was released without a word and in the middle of WOC's 4rth edition media blitz.
>>
>>46944147
When the fuck does paranoia ever consider itself edgy? It's almost purely supposed to be taken as a joke.
>>
>>46944169
That's what makes it edgy. What's more edgy than >IT'S JUST A PRANK BRO
>>
>>46944205
senpai do you understand what edgy means
>>
>>46944205
Anon, you have very bad sense of humor
>>
>>46944006
It's good if you're obsessed with charts for everything. The GM guide alone is nearly a thousand pages long.
>>
File: Laughing Filthy Assistants.jpg (108 KB, 511x590) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Filthy Assistants.jpg
108 KB, 511x590
>>46944147
>taking Paranoia seriously
>politically correct cyberpunk that insists it's edgy. (So basically Deadpool)
>>
>>46944156
>their NDA also applied to the publisher, so their own publisher wasn't allowed to advertise until release

Did they really think they were such hot shit that they wouldn't need to advertise? Was this a willful failure, or the result of supreme stupidity?
>>
>>46944147
Oh wow. You really have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>46944147
Politically correct? Edgy? What the fuck are you talking about?

Paranoia is, and always has been, an exercise in McCarthyist absurdism and pitch-black humour. If you're taking it seriously, you're playing the game wrong.
>>
>>46944156
Now that's funny
>>
>>46944301
I guess, they believed DnD nostalgia is such hot shit people will run at them with open arms they
>>
>>46938809
Space Marines learn things by eating people...
>>
>>46938927
No. NOOO

Captcha pls
>>
>>46943733
I seriously thought this was a Burning Wheel character sheet for a bit.

Not that it's "the shittiest hipster RPG in existence" or anything, but holy shit is it needlessly convoluted and finicky and full of bad design.
>>
>>46941491
¡Los Magos del Tiempos!*
>>
>>46944614
The Wizards of the Times?
>>
>>46944668
Shit its been a while, theres no s at the end, is there? Fuck.
>>
>>46944711
Yeah. You probably mixed up the rule with adjectives, which are plural when the noun is plural.
>>
File: character sheet.png (158 KB, 1120x1156) Image search: [Google]
character sheet.png
158 KB, 1120x1156
>>46943733
>that sheet
>>
>>46938809
Sounds pretty cool, dunno how you'd roleplay that though.
>>
File: Cs_booklet_r5(1).pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Cs_booklet_r5(1).pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46944788

Here's the official Burning Wheel character sheet for long campaigns. You're meant to print it out double-sided and staple it together as a booklet.

It occurs to me that looking at a character sheet is a pretty good way to find out what you're in for.
>>
>>46944913
You'd need the GM to enable you to do it effectively.
>>
I showed this thread to a friend and he said Call of Cthulhu. We are no longer friends.
>>
>>46935258
>Isn't it almost unplayable,
It IS unplayable
If you are an adult you must generate your job at random.
You also decide your starting stats at random.
And the third thing that make the game unplayable is that some jobs have stats requeriments
>>
What is more complex, fatal or gurps with all ultra realism rules on?
>>
>>46944982
>implying he's not right
>le lovecraft meem for getting your fake nerd on even though you don't know the fucking difference between an elder thing and an outer god
>system nobody ever uses except for CoC because it's a shit 80s relic, for that hipster cred
>>
>>46939651
there are youtube bots that get inscribed at random channels to make themselves loooks more real.
they even make random comments and etc...
>>
File: 1431217487741.jpg (383 KB, 1600x1248) Image search: [Google]
1431217487741.jpg
383 KB, 1600x1248
>>46943733
>not posting the vehicle sheet
>>
>>46945200
So it is playable with a bunch of luck (and rerolls allowed).
>>
File: 東方浣腸録.jpg (24 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
東方浣腸録.jpg
24 KB, 360x270
>>46945255
Tell that to the Japs.
>>
>>46945309
Galapagos syndrome
>>
File: virt ban.png (113 KB, 1149x313) Image search: [Google]
virt ban.png
113 KB, 1149x313
>>46935090
>>
>>46945255
Friend, the system is a percentile system, which is still commonly used.
>>
File: HA Smith.jpg (16 KB, 289x295) Image search: [Google]
HA Smith.jpg
16 KB, 289x295
>>46944788
>Rape Dungeon Cleanliness: Right Mess
>>
File: [knifehands internally].png (252 KB, 1076x1080) Image search: [Google]
[knifehands internally].png
252 KB, 1076x1080
>>46944147
>He actually played Paranoia Straight
>>
File: 1423915374474.jpg (28 KB, 278x417) Image search: [Google]
1423915374474.jpg
28 KB, 278x417
>>46944147
>politically correct cyberpunk that insists it's edgy

I can't tell the difference between bait posts and genuine stupidity anymore.
>>
>>46945430
Not taking a side, but to be fair, the CoC percentile system is functionally different from most others.
>>
>>46945430
A particularly clunky example of one with some pseudo-D&D aspects to it. I'd go so far as to say 40k RPGs have a better percentile system than BRP.
>>
File: 1456255583693.jpg (116 KB, 409x393) Image search: [Google]
1456255583693.jpg
116 KB, 409x393
>>46944788
>Problems
>Bitches
>Problematic Bitches
Be still my sides

>Backs Watched
>Straight Shots
>Conserved Ammo
>Deals with Dragons

Shouldn't this be in Shadowrun?
>>
>>46945551
>Shouldn't this be in Shadowrun?
There are a lot of references to other systems on this sheet.
>>
>>46945225
gurps for the sole fact that if you use all the ultra realism rules from all the splats, and a few optional situational stuff found in a magazine, in just the same edition you'd have hundreds of contradicting rulesets making a literal unplayable game.
>>
File: Bryson-Springs.png (149 KB, 465x225) Image search: [Google]
Bryson-Springs.png
149 KB, 465x225
>>46945482
>>46945491
In all fairness I haven't played the 40k RPGs but I assumed they were more or less the same. I still don't think CoC is a 'hipster game'. I play it because I like horror and the writings of HP Lovecraft and his Kalem Club.
>>
>>46943733
Jesus that's a sheet. But I see emotional damage. If you know about this game more than the sheet, can I build a character designed to punch(or your favorite method of hurting people, either is fine) people in their feelings?
>>46943758
I second this, I'm guessing it's the same appeal as Steel Battalion might have: that's a zillion different buttons and as such it's really unique. I especially like the attribute bubble, it gives a nice visual portion to your numbers. Assuming that's what you're supposed to do with it.
>>
>>46944536

Which parts of Burning Wheel are bad design?
>>
File: CoC Dark Lite.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
CoC Dark Lite.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46945695
You know you can play in Lovecraft's world without shitty rules, right?
>>
>>46945805
You can punch people in the feels in any game, anon. This game just happens to measure and track the damage rather than shoving it all into a box marked "social roleplaying" that the rest of the party ignores.

Short answer: Yes, yes you can.
>>
>>46945929

I really tend to enjoy systems with dedicated social conflict resolution mechanics, like Fate, Burning Wheel, and derivatives like Torchbearer.
>>
File: LasersAndFeelings.png (310 KB, 1250x986) Image search: [Google]
LasersAndFeelings.png
310 KB, 1250x986
>>46945992
I wish there were more of them.
>>
>>46935090
>30 to 3 downvotes/upvotes

Instantly dismissed.
>>
>>46945200
You know that all of what you said also applies to WFRP, right?
>>
>>46945200
what happens if you don't have the stats for your randomly rolled job?
>>
File: 674px-Average_character_sheet.png (125 KB, 674x600) Image search: [Google]
674px-Average_character_sheet.png
125 KB, 674x600
>>46944788
>tfw you started the "make a character sheet" fad
>>
>>46945821
Burning Wheel is cumbersome as fuck. There's a huge amount of rules for everything, and everything has these slight variations to the main mechanics so you have to keep checking how anything is supposed to work. Pretty much every rule, every different thing, has something that throws you off. It's full of exception based design (very bad one), up to and including individual skills.

Everything is full of hard-to-remember modifiers, individual exceptions and just clunky game design. For example, in combat you have a lot of different actions, and they all interact with each other differently (Actions are picked in the dark and revealed simultaneously) and work differently. And your character might have any number of different things that might or might not affect these, also.

Doesn't help that the formatting is really not that good. And on top of that, a lot of the rules just feel inefficient in general. It's obviously a system that came to be through a lot of play and was never tidied up or tightened in any real way.
>>
File: charsheetreturns.png (311 KB, 1024x2000) Image search: [Google]
charsheetreturns.png
311 KB, 1024x2000
>>46946958
I remember contributing to this one.
>>
>>46945291
I was going to make a joke about how this sheet for vehicles gives them a Seduction skill but what really caught my eye was

>Mind Skills - Keenness

Even on a living thing, literally what the fuck does the Keenness skill do?
>>
>>46946584
https://youtube.com/watch?v=VhNp_mA5ltA
>>
>>46945255
>le lovecraft meem for getting your fake nerd on even though you don't know the fucking difference between an elder thing and an outer god
What?

>system nobody ever uses except for CoC because it's a shit 80s relic, for that hipster cred
I used CoC because I wanted to try running some horror games and I needed something that looked similar enough to D&D so as to not scare my Pathfinder junkie friends who thought that D&D was the easiest system to learn because it was the first one they played. I've tested them out with Unknown Armies and the new Delta Green rules because they're more streamlined but they seem to like CoC the most for horror games. We play it because it works for us.

Who the fuck plays old rpg systems for "hipster cred"?
>>
>>46938927
>>46940772

oh god yes. Thank you for bringing back the FUN

>>46943733
>>46945291
holy shit snacks that vehicle sheet.

Let's see here

Wraithu was not mentioned-- that shit is full on god awful and is basically "fanfiction.net the all girls gay love rpg"

Rifts: because holy shit I liked it back when I was in college but then I tried playing it and holy shit that was a clusterfuck.
>>
What about that one RPG, Gang Rape? I don't think I have the PDF saved.
>>
>>46940772
This isn't for me, but I like that it exists.
>>
>>46945255
>even though you don't know the fucking difference between an elder thing and an outer god
>implying Lovecraft's monsters were ever meant to be categorised in the first place
>>
>>46947812
Someone mentioned that they just spelled it weird.
>>
>>46943248
What's wrong with Dungeon World?
>>
>>46947812
>Wraithu was not mentioned-- that shit is full on god awful and is basically "fanfiction.net the all girls gay love rpg"

alright, but why is it bad?
>>
>>46948224
>>46935090
>>
>>46946820
>what happens if you don't have the stats for your randomly rolled job?
thats is what makes the game "crash".
also the game says nothing about rolling another char if that happens.
What makes matters wrong, is that if I remember you must explain your char to dm, his story and etc..
>>
>>46946694
>You know that all of what you said also applies to WFRP, right?

>all of what you said
only the 3 things together makes the game unplayable, since you get a job you wont be allowed to get, since you dont have the stats needed to have it, you wont also be able to change the stats to fit on the job or change the job to fit on your stats since both are rolled at random.
>>
>>46945677
>in just the same edition you'd have hundreds of contradicting rulesets making a literal unplayable game.

>have hundreds of contradicting rulesets
Thats why I said only the ultra realism rules, you wont use rules for gun-fu with realistic shooting rules
>>
File: tom and jerry shotgun.jpg (38 KB, 680x593) Image search: [Google]
tom and jerry shotgun.jpg
38 KB, 680x593
>>46944156
This is the only way I can think to react to reading that.
>>
>>46935090
Christ so much of this is stupid.

>every single roll is of equal difficulty, a master swordsman is just as hard to hit as an untrained peasant
THIS is the big glaring flaw with Dungeon World, and what ultimately holds it back

>character customization, leveling up, etc.
The point of Dungeon World is that the primary focus of character customization is what moves you pick as you level up. The problem is that everyone of the same class starts the same, before branching off in different directions, which is why two people aren't supposed to play the same class.

>Advancement is pointless after getting +3 to your primary ability score, because you can't advance anymore
>having a +4 or +5 is overpowered
Hence why you can't advance past 3 in your 'primary ability score', it would be overpowered. And again, the main point of advancement in Dungeon World is getting new moves when you level up, not increasing your stats. Not to mention that you have multiple stats that can be useful and important for your character.

>damage by class
Some classes aren't SUPPOSED to be good in combat, that's the point. The real issue with this is that weapons have basically no bearing on combat. Using a fuck off big crossbow or something has no real difference to slapping someone

>bonds
that's why you create bonds DURING play

the rest mostly just absolutely retarded complaints, either purely subjective or just moronic.
>>
Headspace. Terrible terrible system. The GM is basically powerless.
>>
>>46935341
Sounds like the /tg/ favorite, Car Lesbians.
>>
>>46948339
I've heard it's godawful, but also rare and while not valuable, nobody who'd scan it for the internet has bought a copy because fuck spending 40 bux plus shipping on it. As such, I do not know what the precise mechanics *are* and I'd love to find out, but not 40$ love to (especially as I'm a britabong and fuck international shipping)
>>
>>46952542
I am uploading a copy I got on /tg/ now. Prepare your anuses for Flower-Penis action.
>>
>>46952332
>THIS is the big glaring flaw with Dungeon World, and what ultimately holds it back

I mean you can do a lot with refusing tests or adjusting the consequences to failure, but ultimately I basically agree that being able to slap on a -1 penalty would be really handy sometimes.

In AW Baker was just like "yeah we tried the +1/-1 thing and it didn't help us out as much as we thought and it's a bit of a hassle so we stopped using it but you can if you want" but then the DW authors enshrined it as some kind of inviolable law for some reason.

> The real issue with this is that weapons have basically no bearing on combat. Using a fuck off big crossbow or something has no real difference to slapping someone

Depends how you define "real" difference, but I think there's a fair bit of difference speaking as a HEMAfag. In fact, it's because I'm a HEMAfag that there's a lot of difference - the rules specifically encourage me to say what happens in fights rather than putting all the emphasis on abstract formal systems. If you know about fighting and apply what you know then it's probably the most realistic combat you'll get this side of Riddle of Steel.
>>
>>46952413
Car Lesbians is played for laughs though. From what I understand APTFEO is supposed to be a serious slice of life lesbian rpg.
>>
>>46952332
>every single roll is of equal difficulty, a master swordsman is just as hard to hit as an untrained peasant
>THIS is the big glaring flaw with Dungeon World, and what ultimately holds it back
So the books clearly did a fuckall job of explaining this, because no one ever mentions it, but how you make a roll more difficult is you make them roll twice. It's in the GM's section AND the example of play "this guy's actually really good at using a sword, you'll have to roll defy danger just to get in range without getting your hand chopped off", "until you do something to stop the ninja from running around, it's impossible to melee attack him."
But no one seems to have noticed that shit, guess they should have explained it five times instead of four.
>>
>>46952805
I think basically everyone who actually plays DW mention it all the time. It's usually the people who read it and freaked out that miss it.

I do think it'd be nice to use +1/-1, some kind of rerolling a die or dice, or so on instead of just adjusting consequences, requiring multiple tests, or refusing tests sometimes.
>>
>>46952805
It probably mentioned it fine, you just got bitchniggas that really love to strawman out the ass about DW for some reason.
>>
>>46952366
What? How the flying fuck is the GM basically powerless?
>>
File: For Instance.jpg (40 KB, 129x162) Image search: [Google]
For Instance.jpg
40 KB, 129x162
>>46952686
Wraeththu, the pdf. Enjoy your flower-penises.

https://mega.nz/#!3t0AgCYA!DPxYf4NTR7Lu4IVVC9RToLNwuSzaEZO60kyWoTDcPsU
>>
>>46934370
Hackmaster
>Lol, let's make mechanics for literally everything.
>>
>>46952332
The complaint in his other video is that it's not actually rules lite or narrative and is a 400 page long slog whereas World of Dungeons does it in 3.
>>
>>46934370
Eoris.
Look at the character sheet
>>
>>46939501
Stop calling my cock a weapon, Mark.
It's the spiked cock ring on the cock that's the weapon.
You don't put on brass knuckles and say you're attacking with your fists. God!
>>
>>46935090
I hate virt but goddamn him, he's right on most of these points. DW is even worse than FATE.
>>
>>46949578
Thats why you just the jobs youre not qualified for out of the list or just reroll if you hit one.

I dont even play FATAL but that just seems like a fucking common sense thing to do, in any system with those kinds of rules. I mean, come on man.
>>
>>46953187
Same. I have to agree with him on how 5e handles saves, feat pussyfooting, and ability score caps. It's a shame he's such a cunt though.
>>
>>46953035
Thanks anon. Time to stick my dick in a jar of honey, because it's flower dick time.
>>
>>46953107
Looks dank
>>
>>46953369
>>46953369
I got called out for agreeing with him in one thread.
I explained that if he said water was wet, I'd agree with that too.
It doesn't change the fact that literally 93% of his posts were pointless caustic shitposting.

Not saying agree with that video because I don't care to watch it.
>>
>>46934370
GURPS

Trying to shove a system into anything is stupid. People who try to use pathfinder or 3.5 houseruled for anything they can think of get shat on, for good reason, and so should a whole system dedicated to that.
>>
Will Wheaton
No explanation needed
>>
>ctrl-f "The Window"
>no results

Y'all niggas disappoint me.
>>
>>46934370
Unknown Armies
>>
>>46946978

Are you talking about the original and Revised? Because Gold is definitely much cleaner.
>>
>>46943645
Congratulations you're one of them.
>>
>>46938927
I would play this.
>>
>>46939673
Hipsters have been around since the 1930s...
>>
>>46934370
Vampire the Requiem for being stupidly edgy without actually understanding what fear and self-loathing are really like. Changeling the Lost does everything Vampire does, but better.
>>
>>46952905
for a while people loved DW, but since "it's popular therefore it sucks!" is /tg/'s rally cry it then became the cool thing to shit on. Gotta get those internet popularity points for the anyonmous image board after all.
>>
>>46957673
>Congratulations you're one of them.
Hipster game or shitty rpg?
Oh! You mean a hipster.
Because only hipsters are uninterested in hipster games and shitty rpgs?
>I was not learning or playing shitty hipster games before not doing it became mainstream.
>>
>>46955836
Give a blind man a machine gun, point him in the direction of a close target and tell him to shoot in that general direction all day and he'll probably hit it a couple times. Occasionally despite being the biggest shitlord sperg I've ever witnessed he is accidently correct about something. Pure coincidence. He spits shit up on practically everything so it's only a matter of time that he did it to something that was worthy of it.
>>
>>46957825
That's such a hipster thing to say.
>>
>>46957809
It's great for running short campaigns (3-8 sessions) and one-shots. It's good when your party's meant to be filled with capable adventurers who would be around level 3-7 in a D&D system. It's not very good at high-level adventures or extended campaigns. It's terrible at anything other than D&D-style adventuring and questing (for example, social or exploration focused games).

I find the system very easy to create homebrew content for. Moves are designed to be simple and stand-alone, with one or two upgrades at most. This makes multiclassing easy and pretty balanced to be honest.

A lot of the hate for PBTA games came from a now-permabanned member of 4chan, he basically brought Dungeon World (and his desire to rape elves) up in every thread he participated in. Since he left pretty much nobody talks about the system anymore, it's good at its niche and shit at everything else, just like pretty much every other system that isn't GURPS.
>>
>>46956750
The thing with GURPS and other generic systems is that the mechanics are so uniformly solid that it's much easier to homebrew. Armor works more like you imagine it would, the 3d6 cuts down on RNG quirks, no classes, no races, and everything works like a straight up skillcheck 99% of the time. But like all generic systems its real problem is that it always feels like GURPS, a decently designed game, but fuck these three extra mechanics from the relevant splat doesn't make it play any differently in the end be it Scifi, Modern, or Fantasy. It gets old.
>>
>>46945908
I didn't actually.
>>
>>46957895
Please, I was unironically not being a hipster before it never didn't become cool.
>>
>>46958346
You still see people shitting on it with objectively wrong shitflinging that he started, though. I don't really like the game all that much, but seeing stuff that's literally proven wrong every time parroted time and time again just. Fuck! There's plenty of actual problems, TALK ABOUT THOSE. Don't strawman, you fucks!
>>
>>46934370
Monster Hearts.

Trans/Furries that can force you to fuck them despite not being gay or into fetish shit.

Supposed to be about "finding yourself as a young adult" but instead of getting outside and actually experiencing shit you sit around and pretend to be morally superior to fictional strawmen slash your friends.
>>
>>46958791

I'm not sure if your GM really understood the point of the game.

That's the exact kind of behavior that fucks over your power economy in the future.

Also, I'm going to say Traveller 5. Nothing quite says "I'm a modern and improved RPG" like being incomplete, incomprehensibly formatted and lacking any proof reading.

I'm not talking "Get an editor you fucks", I'm saying there's tables that need restarted from scratch because there's feedback loops in them.

Also I have a special hatred in my heart for any system that explicitly lacks examples. They don't even have canon races statted.
>>
>>46949637
The thing is that there's more than a few overlapping ultra realism rules. I think most of them are concerning vehicles and stuff though.
>>
>>46958346
What do you think are some good systems for exploration focused games?
>>
Anything produced by The Forge/GNS Theory crew and the exceptional fucktard known as Ron Edwards.

Holy fucking shit you people posting relatively well known and codified systems aren't even in the right ballpark on the right planet as these guys in terms of sheer hipster fuckery. They made fucking Adam Koebel look like a sports news reporter by comparison.

I think the last post on their website is mid 2012 so it's probably a bit before a lot of people on /tg/.

How did The Forge die again? Didn't they fucking implode and cannibalize themselves over what games count as indie and what don't? Shit flinging contests about stupid baseless design theories thought up by people who have no idea what they're talking about?
>>
>>46959216
Not him, but I think anything that handles hexcrawls without shitting the bed will do.
>>
Fantasy Craft.
>>
>>46959216
What do you mean by exploration, exactly? If you want a game that's all about the journey, I've heard good things about Ryuutama.
>>
>>46959311
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>46959359
I mean by exploration whatever he means by exploration.
>>
Dogs in the Vineyard probably.

>>46959311
It's a d20 fantasy game that really fucking liked the character building meta from 3.5.

That's like the opposite of hipster, you're not actually trying.
>>
>>46934370
5e

It's a bland tasteless game that's all marketing, and no substance that's played by people who pretend like it brings back the spirit of a game that they never actually played, but claim to have been playing since before it got popular because they downloaded some retro-clones.
>>
>>46959507
You're terrible at this.
>>
>>46959381
It's d20 that really doesn't bring anything new to the table.
>>
>>46959248
currently smoking: Swine tears

- RPGPundit
>>
>>46934370

Unknown Armies.
>>
>>46959533
Doesn't have to be new. Sometimes the point is to finally something right after all the bozos who came before got it wrong or to be the best of a certain kind of thing. That thing being high fantasy d20. I don't know if it succeeded but I rarely hear things about it.
>>
>>46959216
AD&D. The Wilderness Survival Guide is a wonderful thing.
>>
Okay this might be the wrong thread for it, but what is a GOOD system to play a game that's filled with shitloads of anachronisms?

How do I make a plot where a rogue, ranger, wizard, bard etc. Have to find out that robots replaced the king with a simulacrum, and they drive around in a nice card, but visit cities from 13th century
>>
>>46960136
GURPS. TSR D&D has a few modules kind of like that (S3, DA1-4, Tale of the Comet), but GURPS' default setting (Infinite Worlds) is multidimensional bullshit with all the tech levels you can think of.

SavWorlds, FATE, etc. should also do it quite happily.
>>
>>46960154
Don forget Rifts
>>
Eoris.

2D dot charts for stats.
>>
>>46960154
Thanks
>>
>>46943830
underrated AF
>>
>>46960136
TORG did it back in the day. No idea if the new edition is any good.
>>
>>46938967
No, it has STATS bloat and rule HOLES.

It doesn't have any rules for distance or movement for example.
>>
>>46953117
But you do say you punch him ergo you still say you cockslap people.
Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.