[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Werewolves have gotten boring. How do we make werewolves more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 28
File: frank_frazetta_themoonsrapture.jpg (348 KB, 921x1200) Image search: [Google]
frank_frazetta_themoonsrapture.jpg
348 KB, 921x1200
Werewolves have gotten boring.
How do we make werewolves more interesting?
>>
>>46904597
Each and every one of them is a loli.
>>
>>46904597

Werewolves are always shamanistic animals, until the full moon arises, and they become humans - going to nearby villages and impregnating the females so that they can create more lycans.
>>
>>46904597
Every time they transform, their sanity erodes a little bit more, and there's a risk of them being stuck in that shape permanently.
>>
>>46904597
Switch over to wereboars
>>
File: fake awooo.jpg (99 KB, 900x1560) Image search: [Google]
fake awooo.jpg
99 KB, 900x1560
Werewolf women have shaved/waxed legs even in wolf form.

This was illustrated in a webcomic called "Theri There," but the website is down.
>>
Depends on the setting.
>>
By going back to basics. By reminding ourselves that being a Werewolf is supposed to be a CURSE not a SUPERPOWER.
>>
>>46904774
Literally only this
>>
What happens when a human female werewolf breeds with a human male weretiger?
>>
>>46904972
You get a wigger.
>>
Watch Brotherhood of the Wolf (the movie that Bloodborne took most of its inspiration from), and then make werewolves cute ōkamimimi with fluffy lupine ears and tails.
>>
>>46904774
The opposite of this. Movie werewolves are cursed, but in folklore werewolves were generally wicked sorcerors who used magic to transform into a wolf and indulge their cannibalistic urges.
>>
>>46905063
I had no idea Bloodborne ended with "surprise, it was a lion in armor all along!"
>>
File: Werewolf_2.jpg (239 KB, 1252x973) Image search: [Google]
Werewolf_2.jpg
239 KB, 1252x973
>>46904597
>make werewolves great again

Return the things that made it a curse
>involuntary transformation
>no control in wolf-mode, just violent rampage
>no memory of what happens in wolf-mode
>murder and eat people you love in wolf-mode
>wake up in a pile of leaves, bones, and entrails, possibly in jail
>get killed by monster hunters
>if word gets out of your affliction, then you get lynched while in normal form
>>
>>46905144
>Oh satan, I beseech thee, make me better at eating people, for though now I am well capable of doing so, in the form of a wolf I would do so much better
>>
>>46904730

What about WereBoers?
>>
>>46904649
Shut up stupid.
>>
>>46904597
>Werewolves have gotten boring.
To you.
>How do we make werewolves interesting.
Subjective answer. You're welcome.
What do you find interesting? Do that.
>>
>>46904597
Werewolves are universally women. The women are constantly pregnant with their wolf form, growing from nothing to full term over the course of the month. At the full moon, the wolf-beast rapidly finishes it's growth and tears it's way from itself/it's mother. The wolf must then eat enough to afford the growth of the woman inside of it, and then she tears her way back out at first light.

>>46905063
It took inspiration in armor, but that's about it.

Most of it comes from Lovecraft. At least in the second half.
>>
>>46905063
Bloodborne took visual inspiration from it, but that's about as deep as the inspiration actually gets there.
However, apparently the next Witcher DLC is taking heavy inspirations from Brotherhood of the Wolf, which of course most reviewers told that by CDProjekt had no idea what that was.
>>
>>46904972
What happens when a human female werewolf mates with a wolf male werehuman?
>>
Turn them into Wherewolves.

They're regular wolves, but you constantly forget where they are.
>>
File: 1442598132254.jpg (202 KB, 900x825) Image search: [Google]
1442598132254.jpg
202 KB, 900x825
This is now a possible origin for the Queen in Red and her Huntsmen from a previous thread.

They are the Huntsmen. The court of the Queen in Red.

They are seldom seen directly.

They are rare. Very rare. They is in fact only one place they can be found when they aren't out hunting and that is in the dark forest in an old longhouse half sunk into the earth. The roof is turf and the windows are small and high. It is warm inside because of the fire in the center. There is usually something cooking over the fire. The flames don't seem to illuminate as much as they should and its hard to see the walls.

Tall shapes move in those shadows. Its hard to make them out. You get an impression of something tall and athletic and the eyes reflect the ligh of the fire like those of a beast would. They follow you at all times. There are many eyes in in the dark.

The queen sits at the other end of the hall to the door with the fire between you. She is tall and slender with well toned musculature. Her face is sharply featured and her green eyes are not so much cruel as uncaring. Her hair is red but sometimes silver. Her only clothing is an old cloak the colour of freshly spilled blood and a simple silver pin.

You never see them about in the world. Not properly. Nothing but quick glimpses and only those rarely.

You can buy their services sometimes if you want someone or something dead.

The bodies get torn apart and the bones have gnaw marks on them.

The price for their services is often strange. They have no need for coin but sometimes ask for stories, maps, all your memories before the age of 4, the colour of your hair, a nice meal or someone to fix the roof. Sometimes they don't ask for a price at all.
>>
I would play around with the duality aspect.

Man vs. Savage Nature.

In their human form the werewolf struggles with the duality they possess. Either give into the savage animal within that desires to run on pure, basic instinct, or find a way to control the beast within and maintain a shred of humanity.

The strength of the were creature would be based on how much control the human gives their werewolf side. Giving full control makes the werewolf an alpha among others. Trying to limit or control the beast inside makes the werewolf a beta among the pack.

While going full Alpha gives the werewolf access to strength, agility, and enhanced senses. They don't have the access to the human's intelligence or logic.

Betas can think and figure problems out but don't have to the enchanced strength or hyper senses of the alphas.
>>
>>46905530
>Most of it comes from Lovecraft. At least in the second half.
It's weird because it's Gothic Lovecraft, which usually lie in the opposite direction of one another.
Lovecraftian Horror is usually about how alien things and the unknown disturb us and cause us fear.
Gothic Horror is about how the monster is too much like us for comfort, and represents some of our more base failings as a species.

While Yharnam definitely has a shitload of weird Lovecraftian shit going on, most of the divulged information and info in-game points to ultimately human beings being 100% responsible for every awful thing happening in the city and the Great Ones are more like accidental facilitators at best which explains why almost all are non-hostile at first.
>>
>>46905636
>human beings being 100% responsible for every awful thing happening in the city

How does that track?
>>
>>46904649
He said MORE interesting, adding fap-bait doesn't automatically make anything better.
>>
>>46905040
underrated post
>>
>>46904597
Werewolves are actually hyper-intelligent but prone to fits of rage when transformed. If left to their own devices, a werewolf can produce a lot of useful technology for their local community.
>>
>>46904597
Werebeasts, not limited to just wolves
>>
File: pic related.jpg (55 KB, 515x720) Image search: [Google]
pic related.jpg
55 KB, 515x720
>>
>>46905144
So the original idea was not a curse but evil people seeking to empower their evil further, makes them make more sense as villains and not tragic victims
>>
>>46905425
The saddest ones are the ones who come clean if they discover it themselves before the town, offering to be lynched by the town for their crimes
>>
>>46905530
Giger? Is that you?
>>
>>46905606
What about those who manage the whole split personality merge?
>>
>>46905972
Unknowingly, the person who kills them inherits the curse.
>>
>ctl+f CofD, WtF, Forsaken, nWoD
>no results
It's like nobody finds playing as magic werewolves who fight demons from animist hell, other werewolves and people possessed by swarms of animal spirits interesting any more
>>
>foppish steampunk werewolves covered in gears
>>
>>46904730
TOO SUBTLE!
>>
>>46906042
I love this
>>
File: 1459408984652.png (102 KB, 700x1013) Image search: [Google]
1459408984652.png
102 KB, 700x1013
>>46905636
>Gothic Horror is about how the monster is too much like us for comfort, and represents some of our more base failings as a species.
Tbh that's the point of werewolves right there, representing the part of us that causes problems without considering the consequences.
It's like the old saying, "you've got a penis and a brain, and only enough blood to use one at a time" it's not literally true but it is very close to the truth. There's a prefrontal cortex (your human brain) that uses logic and reason to rationally consider the consequences of your actions and whether you'll achieve your long term goals. However, you also have a Limbic system (chimp brain) that ignores the consequences and just wants instant gratification, it's the part of your brain that tells you to sleep in bed longer and makes you miss an important appointment, it gets you in pointless arguments where you achieve nothing by trying to win, it makes you cheat on your spouse in an incredibly obvious way.
Afterwards you're often genuinely confused about why you thought that such an idea was sensible in the first place, or how you keep fucking up with the same mistakes repeatedly.
It's because your limbic system, the werewolf, wakes up and it'll ruin your life if you don't control it.
>>
>>46906056
No we dont
>>
Dunno why, never really thought werewolves were very interesting. Kinda liked them in Underworld, but that's it really.
>>
>>46905695
>>46905489

Whooooosh
>>
>>46905425
What if instead it was like an STD and could spread the curse by sex?
>>
>>46906894
why
>>
>>46904597
Werewolves overcompensate and more fully embrace their civilized human side. Werewolf society having lots of unspoken and codified rules, committees and a tricameral legislature, a king, president, and prime minister.
>>
>>46905478
South Africa. There Boers
>>
>>46906077
Too doubles 4u
>>
>>46907179
That's actually a really neat idea. The real curse of being a Werewolf is having to deal with the red tape it requires to do anything.
>>
>>46905063
Bloodborne didn't take any inspiration from that shitfest, it took inspiration from 18th/19th century fashion in general.

Tricorn =/= Bloodborne
>>
>>46906062
So Worgen, basically.
>>
>>46904689
>Every time they transform, their sanity erodes a little bit more, and there's a risk of them being stuck in that shape permanently.
That's pretty good to be honest. Depending on the ruleset of course.

My suggestion, every time they transform, their sanity erodes a little more, and there's a risk of them going insane :Lovecraft:
>>
>>46904597
How have werewolves gotten boring? They're barely the focus of any fiction anymore and literally every story they are the focus of does shit completely different.
>>
>>46907659
Anon's probably upset they've been getting so much screen time. Twilight, Lost Girl, Bitten, Being Human, etc.

There are hundreds of beasties in the MM. If werebeasts don't appeal to you, don't use them. If werebeast plot hooks don't interest you, don't follow them.
>>
>>46904597
how about if the werewolf curse only effected wild wolves, every fullmoon affected wolves absorb the soul of a deceased human & then transform into that human.
The human will appear as they did when they were the same age as the wolf (once you convert dog years to human years) & they retain all of their knowledge & memories they had when they died.

if there are a lot of cursed wolves then the people of the nearby villages could probably use this as an excuse for a festival & party with the deceased every full moon
>>
>>46905449

metal af
>>
>>46904597
>Frazetta

The GOAT. Oiled up Vallejofags can get fucked by the master of fantasy composition.
>>
File: worgen_hunter.jpg (77 KB, 550x745) Image search: [Google]
worgen_hunter.jpg
77 KB, 550x745
>>46907624
If Worgen were more like pic related, I might actually like them.
>>
>>46904597
Multiorgan tumor that slowly "transforms" the body, slowly killing the victim. If the disease won't kill you (good luck with that), then you are still slowly changing into a mindless beast. A literal beast, meaning slightly oversized wolf.

This way you cut out all the "fun" bits of werewolf and leaves pure horror. Because it's a nasty curse that will ruin your life. Thus you are removing the standard magnet for all kinds of no-lifes that would love to play this - there is nothing to play now and no fun in it. It's a death ticket.
>>
>>46905375
>Lion
It wasn't a lion in the film, anon. Nice you've paid that little attention to miss the part when they say it was some strange creature from darkest parts of Africa and most definitely NOT a lion
>>
How do you like your transformations, /tg/?

American Werewolf in London painful, physical mutations? Or more folkloric ones, ritualistic transformations like the application of ointment and wolfskin?
>>
>>46906042
>Unknowingly, the person who kills them inherits the curse.

I don't like it. If you want that person infected for the story, then you could just have him get bitten by the werewolf by accident.
>>
>>46908232
This.

Had similar thing going in my homebrew. Basically lycantropy worked like a disease. Each full moon the patient was going all werewolf, but in the same time cancer was starting to eating away the body. Each time after full moon, some traces were remaining. More and more of them, while the beast form during the full moon was also getting less and less humanoid.
After certain point the patient in human form was deranged mess of randomly picked human and wolf bits, absolutely unable to function properly and on its own, while the werewolf form was in the end a massive wolf.
If the patient didn't die out of the body going through absurd changes (try to sustain a body with half of the organs that don't match) and for whatever reason didn't commit suicide, the final effect was a wolf twice the size and with intelligence of a really well-trained dog.
For good.
>>
File: van-helsing-werewolf-o.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
van-helsing-werewolf-o.gif
2 MB, 320x180
>>46908408
Personally I liked the way it was handled in Van Helsing, with the werewolf literally ripping its way through the human skin.

That movie was a fucking trainwreck, but it was the best kind of trainwreck.
>>
File: laughing frenchmen.jpg (55 KB, 800x441) Image search: [Google]
laughing frenchmen.jpg
55 KB, 800x441
>>46906745
>I-I was only pretending to be retarded!
>>
>>46909414
>tfw I really enjoy this movie

The sets and art design were great fun, and the tie-in game had no right being as good as it was.
>>
>>46909631
I just realized you're right, holy shit.
>>
>>46909631
It's really one of my favorite movies. I wouldn't call it "good", but it seemed like everyone involved had so much fun making it that I can't hate it. Plus I'm a sucker for old-school gothic horror.
>>
Transgender Werewolves
>>
>>46904597

Go with Robert E. Howard werewolves.

Demons that used to posses wolves and turned them into monsters to fuck humans up, but then humans killed off those monster wolves so now the demons possess any suitable vessel, humans being most convenient.

Also if you kill the host while it's fully possessed the demon jumps to you because you're a worthier vessel.
>>
>>46905681
Byrgenwerth, but especially the Churche, for mucking about with the blood of Gods/going Unit 731 on the Fishing Hamlet caused the spread of the Beast Plague (through cursed/tainted blood) and likely called the Great Ones to "Earth"

tl;dr Fear the Old Blood. For God's sake, Laurence, fear it
>>
>>46904597
Werewolves are a myth. The reality is a lot worse.
>>
>>46912392
Do enlighten us.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (54 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
54 KB, 1280x720
Were-centipedes.

Lycanthropes are smalltime compared to entomanthropes.

Image not for the squeemish.
>>
>>46905695
>loli
>fap bait

Fucking pedophiles man.
>>
>>46905478
no he said WereMoors
>>
>46905144
Seconding this, also placing them in a low-fantasy setting like Conan where a magical giant wolf the size of a shetland pony that can't be killed by normal weapons is a horrifying and unstoppable creature that can only be killed by direct group action (insert picture of hundreds of peasants killing a dragon here) or a straight up HERO with a special sword or some shit.

Also, make them weak to something other than silver so your players don't metagame. Use the blood of hanged men or something like that, or "WolfsBane" but nobody knows what plant it is or where to find it. It's in the Werewolfs den, sleeping there is the only way for the sorcerer to change back for example.
>>
>>46904597
More Were- forms, but stupider

WereSlime
WereMoth
WereOctopus
WerePidgeon
WereStoat
WereYak
WereWere
>>
Start using other kind of wereanimals.
>>
They're scared of vacuum cleaners and distracted by frisbees.
>>
File: large[1].jpg (103 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
large[1].jpg
103 KB, 500x500
I like the idea of making it more tragic, more of a curse than a superpower. Make it analagous to substance addiction. The sufferer can choose to become a werewolf whenever they want. Maybe they drink a potion, or use a magic spell, or just allow themselves to stare at the full moon. But almost every time they transform, it's by choice. And much like when under the influence of certain drugs, they retain some degree of self control, but it is hampered by an increasing bloodlust boiling away inside them. Eventually, they give in to their animalistic urges, mauling and raping in a feral rage. But with just enough of themselves left inside of them to sort of "rationalise" their actions in the heat of the moment. If someone were to ask the werewolf why he just murdered that innocent man and ate his entrails, he reply "because I was hungry". And of course, when the effect wears off and the sufferer transforms back into a human, they'll remember most of it, as if it was in a drunken haze, and that's when the guilt will set in. But try as they may, they just can't stop doing it. They'll become addicted to the rush, to the freedom of being powerful and wild and letting go of all their social and moral inhibitions. Now that's a curse.
>>
File: werewolf.png (108 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
werewolf.png
108 KB, 800x600
For a setting I was working on, I made a new take on werewolves. The actual, true werewolves are not beasts, they are spirits. Humans cursed by nature spirits for pissing them off. Every full moon, the human would transform into the spirit of the wolf, which ended up being a mass of some element or piece of nature, the most common being air spirits, thus werewolves most common appearance are giant banks of fog with a wolf head and the occasional paw. These true werewolves have control of their mind, but are veered heavily towards beastly thoughts. The normal werewolf, big, hairy, fanged beasts, are actually lesser werewolves, created via a person ingesting some part of the true werewolf, and being cursed by lycanthropy. These lesser werewolves have no control of themselves, but will follow the command of the true werewolf.
>>
>>46905932
Where wolf???
>>
They shed everywhere.
>>
In an old campaign setting
Lycanthropy was a curse, once that shows up in a tiny percentage of humans naturally. The kingdom has developed a way to detect lycanthropy in newborns and takes them away. They are then trained to control their abilities. Those that can't are painlessly executed. The ones who pass go on to become the royal guard of the King, his royal guard dogs.
>>
>>46910479
Hell, most of the Great Ones don't seem to be harmful except by accident.
Rom actively concealed Yharnam from the maddening affects of the Hunter's Moon.
Mergo died stillborn and when asked to grant the School of Mensis eldritch knowledge they wanted it granted it, though being frail humans their brains immediately got fried.
Kos never seems to have done ANYTHING except die and have her child taken and dissected.
>>
>>46913231
>loli
>short for lolicon
>japanese contraction of Lolita complex
>Lolita complex - sexual attraction to prepubecent girls who have sexualised behaviors
The term loli specifically refers to sexualised little girls you asshat.
>>
I just want werewolf lore were it makes you go into heat desu

Also, I've yet to see attractive female werewolves
>>
>>46914057
Liru
>>
>>46914245
I mean she's cute but she's just an anime girl with some animal attributes, I want something that's a convincing wolf form that manages to be attractive without becoming grotesque, but no relying on furry tropes.
>>
"Hey, there kid. Sorry, I had to take over your body real quick. I'm so hungry."

"What? What the heck? Where am I? Did that wolf just talk?"

"Oooh, yeah. Look, you're new to this, let me clue you in. I'm you... the other you... the beast, I guess you could say. I'm your Id, given form by the curse."

"Curse?"

"What, you think you're gonna get in a fight with a slightly-humanoid tiger and just walk away unscathed?"

"He took a chunk out of my arm!"

"Trust me, that's kinda unscathed kid. Anyways, look, we've got two ways we can work this. One: you treat me like a curse and a horrible burden and I'm gonna pop out every month or so on the full moon and eat everything not tied down, living or pre-cooked."

"Option two?"

"You pat me on the head, say good boy, and we become partners. I'll keep you safe, you keep me fed."

"So... constantly switch you in to let you eat?"

"Ooooor, give into the instinct! Eat what you want, run with the wind, grab that Carmella and show her what a werewolf can do in the sack!"

"But I'm dating Cindy."

"Alphas get all the girls, mate. Cindy AND Carmella. Think about it. Oh, and while you're thinking, you might want to think up a good alibi for this meal we're having."

"Why? What is it?"

"Your abusive step-dad."

"Oh."
>>
>>46914273
ur a furry
>>
>>46914312
no it's a transformation and mind break fetish sue me
>>
File: scaryworgen2.jpg (184 KB, 860x571) Image search: [Google]
scaryworgen2.jpg
184 KB, 860x571
>>46908206
You get were-chihuahuas that yelp like hyenas in combat.

fuck, I hate those things. So much. I don't get how they could drop the ball that hard.
>"Look, a good design."
>"too pretty, change it"
>"okay, how about this?"
>"what the actual fuck, blizzard? CHANGE IT BACK"
>"too late, we're shipping in a week"
>"FUUUUCK"
>>
File: Raksha.jpg (98 KB, 405x405) Image search: [Google]
Raksha.jpg
98 KB, 405x405
>>46914273
You see the ne Jungle Book yet? The animals look realistic as shit for being cgi and yet on top of that, they have very human faces that are expressive as hell

what I'm saying is Raksha is prime WILF
>>
>>46914386
Animals with human eyes is just uncanny.
>>
>>46914310
That's pretty fucking gay anon, you could write for Stephanie Myers.
>>
>>46914386
You went right past "furry" and straight into "oh shit nigger what are you doing"
>>
>>46914610
don't blame me man, I'm just delivering what >>46914273 asked for, which was "something that's a convincing wolf form that manages to be attractive without becoming grotesque"
>>
>>46914641
> Furries don't want to fuck animals

Do you still tell yourselves that?
>>
File: More alpha than you.jpg (6 KB, 189x266) Image search: [Google]
More alpha than you.jpg
6 KB, 189x266
>>46914641
> Not posting based Shibani, the handsome Gorilla
>>
>>46914970
I can't speak for furries, for I am not one.

I just like shit that I think is attractive. I mean fuck if you drew a toilet with nice tits and ass it'd probably get me going too
>>
>>46915000
shit that is one handsome gorilla

check'd
>>
Add some element of sympathetic ritual and/or providence to it, different ways for different cultures.

Have your loup-garou-like sorcerers and witches, adopting the form of the wolf to serve their dark patrons. Have your Vleslav of Polotsk, granted by the Powers That Be the form of the wolf, that he might better protect his kingdom and people. Have your ulfserkr, wearing the skin of the wolf to become impervious to fire or blade in battle. Have your Thiess of Kaltenbrun, who takes on the form of the wolf to combat demons and monsters on their own level of strength, sent to do so by his god.
>>
>>46913743
There wolf. There castle.
>>
the only way i can see werewolves being cool again is if they are removed from modern media for at least a year to be brought back in a more classical sense
>>
Lycanthropy is a curse spread by wolves. A bite from a wolf will slowly change you over time, until the next full moon, whereupon you turn and kill everyone and everything you can in a rage.

Killing an animal taints the meat and killing a human curses them as well. On the second night of the full moon, the human victims rise and turn to werewolves themselves, killing more and more. Their victims rise on the third night.

Once the full moon begins to lose its power, by dawn on the 4th day, the undead revert and will not rise again, while the original carrier for the curse lives on, if not killed, turning again on the next full moon.
>>
>>46904597
Well according to your picture, they now transform upon witnessing woman's bare buttocks.

To make things interesting, lets make lycantrophy very widespread but subtle, undetectable until the transformation happens.
This results in society with very strict laws on female nudity - because any random ass in view can cause several werewolves to erupt in the crowd and infect more people.

To make it full erp lets rule it that if the first transformation hits when you're already balls deep between those buttocks, the knotting creates a bond which lets the werewolf retain their wits, or perhaps allow the woman to control him. However, anal is also considered taboo, resulting in it being a very rare event.
>>
I find werewolves to be one of the dullest of mythical creatures. Part of this is because they've been done so many times in so many ways that they feel like a very known quantity. It's hard to be original with such a popular concept. The other part is that you can have all the philosophical musings on "the beast withing us all" that you want, at the end of the day werewolves are pretty straightforward, just big beasts that are hard to kill.

But perhaps I'm just jaded. I'm sure there's inventive ways to use this stock fantasy monster that I'm unaware of. So tell me, /tg/, have you had a particularly interesting or original take on werewolves in any of your games?
>>
File: The Thing.jpg (3 MB, 2422x3132) Image search: [Google]
The Thing.jpg
3 MB, 2422x3132
>>46916540
I've always had the feeling that werewolves can be made much more interesting by playing it closer to The Thing and going for a murder mystery approach.

Its quite annoying that people tend to tone down the werweolves are people that mutate thing and just use them as big dumb monsters.
>>
>>46904597
Strap a bunch of guns and metal plates to them?
>>
>>46906434
He's talking about bloodborne here not werewolves specifically.

The strangeness of the juxtaposition of gothic with lovceaftian horror.
>>
>>46913964
Amygdala was an old one too right? What were they aboutm there appears to be more than one.
>>
>>46913969
rekt
>>
>>46904597
Make them victims of a nanotech virus.
When they transform, they become mechanical abominations.
No matter their form, they are completely controlled by the nanotech hive intelligence.
>>
File: 0911.jpg (351 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
0911.jpg
351 KB, 750x750
>>46904689
>>46905425
>>46904774
Seconding all of this as hard as I possibly can.

>>46904597
Make the werewolf equal parts tragic and horrifying. Bonus points if you have another figure manipulating him from the shadows. Hiding the afflicted person, protecting his identity, maybe even convincing him that he's on the verge of a cure, all while secretly deploying him as an unwitting weapon of mass destruction.

Really play up the brutality and gore in this thing's wake. Make it clear that this isn't some potential ally that needs rescuing or a bad ass antihero in the making. This is a sad, sick man and a truly terrifying monster.
>>
>>46904597
Make them a female only curse and waifu tier.

They won't be more interesting, but we all will love it anyway.
>>
>>46905540
I thought it was going to be about vampire.

Don't really mind either way, the Projekt's not let me down so far and I loved the last dlc.

Evil David Beckham is a surprisingly good anti-villain.
>>
>>46916665
>Its quite annoying that people tend to tone down the werweolves are people that mutate thing and just use them as big dumb monsters.
Maybe because that's what werewolf is in most myths and folklore? A mindless beast that is on a rampage. Alternatively someone who voluntary changes into one (wolfskin, rituals and what not) to be on a rampage.

I get your point, hell, this is very useful plot hook to use in games, but I don't see any reason to blame people for doing what's pretty much prevailing picture from the folklore, myths and thus - pop-culture. I literally don't know a single non-furry who try to take werewolves as something else than dangerous, primal and simply animalistic in the sense of mindless beast. And I'm running games for past 13 years with around 700 people so far (forever GM + job at youth centre will do that to you), so let's say this is "normal" reaction people have toward werewolves.
>>
>>46904597
Old West setting. Our heroes have to rob a train to get enough silver to kill a whole tribe of werewolf Indians.
>>
>>46916540
>Be Slav
>Everyone is putting diaboł in everything
Please tell me how werewolves are the dullest thing ever, when you have forest spirit/devil in EVERY. SINGLE. FUCKING game. At this point I'm amazed it's still not a meme in Poland about having scenarios with diaboł, that's how annying and obnoxious it is.
And most of the time GMs are dead-sure they are doing something fresh, new and creative.
>>
>>46918246
I realise that a werewolf is a big dumb beast that likes killing, but my point is that people tend to treat werewolves as fauna as opposed to people under the effects of a curse.

For example, it would be interesting to run a game where the party is trying to deal with a werewolf running amok in their community and since it is far too powerful when its a big slavering monstrosity, they can hunt down and kill it while its in its weaker uncursed form. Thats the sort of thing I'm talking about.
>>
>>46904597
So in the World of Darkness, there's a ton of different kinds of werecreatures, right? Like, think of an animal and there's probably a were-version. And each of them have 5 forms, one of which is just a giant version of the animal.

So here's the twist: orca whales don't actually exist. They never have. Orca whales are just a tribe of wereporpoise that decided "fuck these other forms" and just stay that way all the time.
>>
>>46904597

They are wolves which became humans during the Full Moon.
>>
>>46918285
But anon, that's... um...

Wait, you are saying in your area/country/culture/whatever it's not the standard procedure to deal with werewolf? As in "track the cursed person, kill them as far from the full moon as possible, be a hero"
Now THAT is an interesting cultural difference
>>
File: werewolf.jpg (110 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
werewolf.jpg
110 KB, 1280x720
>>46904597

Werewolves are insane/ravenous wolf spirits that seek to murder as many people as possible.

They don't turn people into werewolves. Rather, after they have tasted someone's flesh and blood, they;re able to assume their form. This allows them to infiltrate human communities, escape retribution, and leads to the misconception that ones' family member/friend has become a monster, when the monster is actually masquerading as any number of family members/friends.

The enigmatic moon prides itself on being the greatest trickster. It changes shape in the sky, sometimes appears in the day. Sometimes changes colors. Sometimes decides that it will blot out the sun and make day into night.

Maybe it's because the moon prefers good natured trickery, or that it abhors competition, or werewolves feel repentent when looking at it, or that it just likes mucking with werewolves, but whenever it moonlight falls upon a werewolf, it reveals the monster's deception. (especially) During a full moon, all but the mightiest werewolves are forced to shed their human disguises.

Silver- or moon iron- has a similar effects on werewolves.
>>
>>46918365
>moon iron
The fuck is moon iron?
>>
What if it's not a curse tied to a person but a lunar ghost/spirit that can enter the body via wounds (say an animal bite)

Being strongest on the nights around the full moon towns fortify against monsters who are more likely to be posessed hunters and farmers that live away from town and more likely to be bitten.

People mistakenly hunt and kill the people that got possessed for the night of they work out who it was, not realising that they just have to exorcise and banish the spirits.

Once the wound heals the spirits access to their body is gone but they might believe they are still cursed with lycanthropy.
>>
>>46918356
I haven't seen it employed like that in quite some time
>>
>>46918427
It's how you deal with werewolves in my folklore, since they are absolutely untouchable in the beast form.
Imagine how many absolutely innocent people ended up lynched, hanged or on a stake because of it in the past
>>
>>46918392
>The fuck is moon iron?
Iron inscribed with moon runes :^)
>>
>>46918392

It's supposed to be a not so creative alternate term for silver. Or iron mined from the moon. Or meteorites.
>>
>>46904597
Bloodborne was the first one to do it well in a while
>>
>>46904972
You violate the lanity and the pack beats the fuck out of you for dicking a cat.
>>
Werewolves Superheroes.
>>
>>46913246
That fucking Obama is a wereMoore I tell you whut.
>>
>>46913469
I bet you sick fucks would play a game dedicated to hiding in anime girls' underwear drawers as wereUnderwear.

Fuck I just gave away a good kick starter scam idea.
>>
>>46908414
and
>>46916665

are officially stolen
>>
>>46906023
They become the Great Wolf, only one or two in a generation.
>>
>>46908284
it was tho

they show it. lion.
>>
>>46920836
So you are not only deaf, but also blind?

It wasn't a lion, you dumb nigger. It wasn't a lion on the screen. It wasn't a lion in the script. It wasn't a lion in concept sketches nor during animation process. It's also not a lion in the book upon which the film is based.

So take that stick out of your ass and deal with it - it wasn't a lion.
>>
>>46904597
Werewolves only become human under moonlight. No, not full moon, during full moon they become greater beasts, but every night other than full moon they are normal people, and at the break of dawn they become Werewolves again.

Would call them Dawnwolves or something.
>>
File: qDGfubM.png (2 MB, 1280x1022) Image search: [Google]
qDGfubM.png
2 MB, 1280x1022
Were-opossum
>>
>>46904597
Vampires and werewolves as one creature. The more blood and flesh they consume, the more they behave and look like intelligent vampires, but if they don't eat enough human, they lose sanity, become feral, metamorphose into their monstrous forms, and hunt humans. They return to their humanoid forms after they've eaten enough.

Silver, full moons, weakness to sunlight, weakness to garlic, and other folklore about werepires is generally bogus. Just cut their heads off and burn the bodies.
>>
>>46915692

BEAT ME TO IT YOU SON OF A BITCH!
>>
File: 1456635507721.jpg (115 KB, 634x876) Image search: [Google]
1456635507721.jpg
115 KB, 634x876
>>46915000
>posting small image

You mirin' or what?
>>
>ctrl+f
>No Dog Soldiers

Anon, you disgust me.
>>
File: Spoon you fucking psycho.gif (1 MB, 550x315) Image search: [Google]
Spoon you fucking psycho.gif
1 MB, 550x315
>>46922615
This anon knows what's good

Still, the werewolves in Dog Soldiers are pretty straighforward and classic in all aspect. It doesn't make the film any less awesome, but can't qualify into making things fresh or new.
Aside maybe the concept of being trapped and besieged inside werewolves' "den"
>>
File: 1391289102252.jpg (122 KB, 750x580) Image search: [Google]
1391289102252.jpg
122 KB, 750x580
>>46904597
>How do we make werewolves more interesting?

The problem is they're just one dimensional Jekyll/Hyde characters.

Make them less retarded.

1) Wolves aren't rage machines.
2) The guy who wrote the original paper on "alpha" hierarchy in wolf packs regrets writing it, none of it actually represents wolves in the wild.
3) They have tightly knit nuclear families and can care for the sick, wounded, etc
4) They can be curious, they can play, they can be friendly, etc.

Literally there has never been a single werewolf piece of fiction that didn't violate most of these if not all of them.

A real movie/book about an outbreak of werewolves would be very strange and full of confused emotions and actions.
The other problem is that. Hard to do well.
>>
>Turn into werewolf wen aroused
>Teenagers around puberty spend more time as wolf than man
>The elderly can't change at all without medicinal help
>>
>>46923150
So basically Cat People but with wolves?
>>
File: req - werew.jpg (4 MB, 4355x3056) Image search: [Google]
req - werew.jpg
4 MB, 4355x3056
>>
>>46905495
This is a brainstorming thread. The idea is to provide ideas so that he can choose the ones he likes.
>>
File: 1260987433513.png (435 KB, 687x929) Image search: [Google]
1260987433513.png
435 KB, 687x929
I like my werewolves to be utter monsters. They're the embodiment of everything bad in humanity- rage, violence, hunger, destruction, lack of self control. The worst trait of their human personality is exaggerated; wrathful people become murder machines, envious people want to tear down and destroy etc. With great effort you can stop transforming on full moon, but the slightest trigger will set you off.

Oh, and you can remember what you did when you were transformed. What's worse is that you can remember enjoying it.

Lycanthropy should be like a cancer of the soul, eating away a person's humanity until they're worse than a beast.
>>
>>46921010
not him, but it was a lion. trained from cub.
>>
>>46918666
There already is a VN like that.
>>
make them sexy, little to no fur and more human, and they run on all fours :3
>>
>>46923210
Is that from that metal as fuck vampire comic?
>>
>>46905063
I saw this once, 12 or 13 years ago. The only thing I really remember from it was that cool scene where that guy is fighting with this really cool bone whip-sword.
>>
File: ferd-orugh.jpg (72 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
ferd-orugh.jpg
72 KB, 480x800
>>46927800
Yeah?
>>
>>46928158
damn it i meant chicks man!
>>
werewolves are the greatest because theyre literally the pinnacle of the freedom of natural order, literally unfettered by morality only kill or be killed, unhindered by emotion, they are savagery in its purest form and they revel in it

people forgot this and theyre now meme-heroes thanks to fucking twilight

>tl;dr human-doggos are humans suppressed primal urges free to run rampant
>>
>>46918648
Yeah, he turns into a Muslim every time there's a crescent moon.
>>
>>46923034
So we need more noble werewolf knights fighting to defend their family and friends.
>>
>>46923034
The polar opposite of where I'd like to see it go but to each their own.
>>
>>46904597
Out bigger boobs on them. Also take off some fur.
>>
>>46916808
Amygdala isn't weak to lightning or +kin damage like all the rest
just sayin
>>
Actually make them monstrous instead of angsty teen escapism or blatant furbait?
>>
>>46928621
you, i like you
>>
>>46906056
to me it's evidence that werewolves are a pretty limited concept by themselves, and you need to add a bunch of unrelated crap like WtF's whole shamanism angle to make a moderately interesting game out of them.
>>
>>46905554
That's... actually terrifying.
>>
>>46928621
No! Bigger dicks! And more fur!!
>>
>>46909498
He's right though, he was clearly parodying the obnoxious "shove lolis into everything" meme.
>>
I read from a previous thread that in Ireland there are several origins about werewolves.

One that stuck out was that every seven years (or months, idk) the curse would be passed couple to couple. So a man and wife would suddenly become werewolves for a few years (or months) and after that they would become human again while another man and wife acquired the curse.

There were a couple more that were interesting but that's the only one I remember.
Oh, and Irish werewolves weren't evil or anything but seen as protectors. Kind of like how some native American communities still see skinwalkers as protectors and not some evil spirit that haunts people.
>>
>>46904649
[AWOOOOOOOO intensifies]
>>
>>46904597
Maybe use one of the other dozen ideas about werewolves?
Maybe take one of the several themes that werewolves have and run with it?
Maybe just play something different than werewolves for a little bit?

I'm not sure how they have "gotten boring" in the first place, so I'm not sure where to help you.
>>
>>46916808
Amygdala's definitely Kin-like, but so are things that used to be human once.
Given how MANY of them there are and how largely they seem to protect places (usually places directly related to Mergo) or actually just teleport you to others (except usually just the process of seeing them explodes your brain), I think they might be the Great One equivalent of...well, dogs or something.

The Brain of Mensis IS a Great One that and she (yeah, it's a she) seemed hostile, but seeing as when you kill her if you do the Make Contact sign she gives you something anyway, maybe it's just that her STARE is just inherently harmful to human beings.
>>46928695
There was also a LOT of them.
Great Ones are all singular beings from what we've gathered from items and the sparse lore, and there's six or seven running around Yharnam on the Night of the Hunt.
>>
>>46916373
>Well according to your picture, they now transform upon witnessing woman's bare buttocks.
Oh come on, everyone knows Werewolves transform by looking at a full moon.
>>
>>46928946
>clearly
If that makes you feel better. Loliposters are so retarded that a parody of them seems genuine.
>>
>>46930403
What if it was all just a big joke the entire time?
>>
>>46927878
Vampire Chevalier Requiem
Or some combination of those words.
>>
>>46930420
"I was only pretending to be retarded!"

Wasn't funny then, isn't funny now. Find a new joke.
>>
They have to use wolf skins to transform
>>
>>46904597
werewolves and vampires are a surprisingly broad topic. I like almost every aspect of both, as long as you don't go the twilight road.

my personal fav examples of werewolves are MTG/Underworld
>>
>>46909631
this movie really was great. fantastic casting.
>>
>>46929108
Calling bullshit

All the Navajo out here consider skin walkers evil witches to the core
>>
It must have been awesome before sperglords started trying to classify monsters

In traditional folklore there were multiple origin stories and descriptions
>>
File: 1400346086631.jpg (95 KB, 704x731) Image search: [Google]
1400346086631.jpg
95 KB, 704x731
>>46904597
Tits & Ass.

Cue all the nipple-jokes that Blizzard included for female worgen.
Too bad they fucked up with the chihuahua heads so badly.

Seriously though,
the "developing new race" thing was kind of interesting though.
Pretty much every 'new race appears from nowhere' in stories relies on portals, aliens, etc.
Disease/mutation is rarely used.
The book "I Am Legend" for example, though that was with Vampires.
Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.