[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exotic Tabletop Cuisine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: fightfightfightfight.jpg (141 KB, 796x461) Image search: [Google]
fightfightfightfight.jpg
141 KB, 796x461
Hey, fa/tg/uys and ca/tg/irls, I've been doing some world building and I've a seemingly simple question that has caused me some real trouble. If I was to include a civilized shark (or any anthromorphic species, really) people into my pirate setting, would they eat fish? What about other non-humanoid sharks? And this led to new questions, concerning other animal-humanoid species and what they would eat. How do you blokes handle this issue? Do Thri-Kreen not eat bugs? Elves are already vegan, so it wouldn't be a stretch.
>>
>>46867095
Sharks eat fish already. Don't see why that would change.
>>
File: port.jpg (304 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
port.jpg
304 KB, 1600x900
>>46867215
But if they are "awakened" and have higher order thinking skills, might they consider a carnivore lifestyle barbaric?
>>
File: tumblr_m6i3fmtubD1ra6hngo1_1280.jpg (92 KB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6i3fmtubD1ra6hngo1_1280.jpg
92 KB, 1280x544
>>46867095

If humans have no problem eating their lesser-evolved brethren, why should fish-people?
>>
>>46867296
Not all humans are murderers.
>>
File: 52gTWMI.gif (4 MB, 696x528) Image search: [Google]
52gTWMI.gif
4 MB, 696x528
>>46867346

This is true. But I fail to see how it's relevant.
>>
>>46867296
Apes eat monkeys, you know. Sometimes even alive and in very gruesome way.
>>
>>46867438
In theory, an anthromorphic species is going to be more in line with nature, and murdering a school of fish just for a meal, when a shark can eat something else seems in line.

>>46867469
Apes are almost humans. True anthromorphic species would be more in line with nature.
>>
Unless theyre some kind of faggot hippie sharks I dont see why they wouldnt eat fish.

If anything they might think the idea of not eating fish is ridiculous since theyre clearly the apex predator and thus rightfully able to eat them, survival of the fittest and all that.
>>
File: Z6YPN.jpg (445 KB, 475x3887) Image search: [Google]
Z6YPN.jpg
445 KB, 475x3887
>>46867592
>more in line with nature

So they'd be all the more inclined toward eating other critters, because nature doesn't give a fuck.
>>
>>46867710
Holy shit. This is photoshoped, but still...
>>
>>46867095
If you assume a human level of sapience and cooking ability then you're already well into culture over biology. The whole point of cooking is to extend the range of things you can eat, or make things you don't like the taste of more palatable.
>>
>>46867286
no, for basic biological reasons. Humans are omnivores, so some can choose to abstain from eating meat. Sharks are carnivores through and through, so they're only ever going to eat meat. If anything, awakened shark-people would put an immense value on exotic meats like beef or mutton.
>>
File: Shark mermaid with ray pets.png (409 KB, 500x539) Image search: [Google]
Shark mermaid with ray pets.png
409 KB, 500x539
>>46867286

We have pretty high thinking skills, and that only made us even more willing to organize our meat-eating. We made a whole industry of it.

If anything, the more civilization advances, the more meat they eat. For an all-carnivore race, it would probably mean some sort of super-meat. Soul eating, perhaps? They'd still eat meat, but those who eat meat and not souls are equivalent of our "vegetarians": they think soul-eating is environmentally unfriendly and/or unhealthy, and consider themselves superior for merely murdering people instead of eating their souls too.
>>
>>46867095
They'd eat hamburgers
>>
>>46867286
Friendly reminder that there are species of sharks that will eat eachother while in the womb.
Also, almost every species of fish will willing eat any already dead fish if given the opportunity.
>>
>>46868438
>implying carnivore humans are using higher order thinking skills
>implying vegan isn't the more intelligent practice
>>
>>46868529
>womb
Sharks give live birth?
I thought they laid eggs?
>>
>>46869138
Some have egg pouches, but it's mostly live births.
>>
>>46869138
Sharks get pretty crazy with that.

Some give live birth, just like mammals.
Some lay eggs, just like you expect.
Others produce eggs, but the eggs hatch inside the mother while the young are partially developed. The young then finish developing inside the mother before being born.
>>
>>46869949
And some of those live birthers will consume their siblings in the womb.
>>
>>46867095
Okay, first, belonging to a biological order is not the same thing as considering the entire order the same as yourself. Sharkfolk eating fish would be no stranger than Humans eating cow; the two are completely different. Even in a case of Sharkfolk vs Shark, it would just be the same as Humans vs Monkeys.

And hell, some humans have eaten monkeys historically as well.

>>46867286
>might they consider a carnivore lifestyle barbaric?
A diet is not a lifestyle. If they are carnivores, that means their body processes meat and cannot process vegetables. Carnivore sharkfolk (or carnivore anything) would not consider being a carnivore strange, because any weird cults around not eating meat would've starved and died long ago.

If sharkfolk are omnivores and can choose between eating meat or not eating meat, then the sharkfolk which choose to become vegetarians would probably be about the same as humans which choose to be vegetarians. You might see a few less vegan sharkfolk, mainly because vegetables don't grow in the middle of the ocean as readily as fish do, but on land they would be about as likely.
>>
>>46872437
>A diet is not a lifestyle.

I know some vegans who would like to have a word with you.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.