[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a system that allows you to make up classes/skills/races
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 14544544104801.png (137 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
14544544104801.png
137 KB, 557x605
Is there a system that allows you to make up classes/skills/races as you go along?

I want to run a game styled after Overlord (the anime/webnovel series), but one of the main points of the setting was the VAST number of different classes, races and abilities available to the player characters. Rather than actually trying to stat out 700 different races (that's the actual estimated number provided in the series), I figure it would be easier to take a "make things up as I go along" approach.

So is there anything that I can adapt into an Overlord game? Or should I just start home-brewing my own system?
>>
>>46863946
Wouldn't any point-based system like GURPS or Mutants and Masterminds do the sort of thing you're looking for?
>>
>>46863986
Potentially, though to be completely honest I don't know terribly much about either system.

Something more gameplay-oriented than simulation-oriented would probably be the best choice, as the series plays with the idea of similarity to D&D in some respects.
>>
>>46863946
>Is there a system that allows you to make up classes/skills/races as you go along?
Gurps alien allow race crfeating
>>
>>46863946
I set a template for a class, vaguely based on other MMOs.

A class is determined by its description. A definition, an excerpt from a fictional/historical character of this class, and a short(1-3) list of core ideals. If it doesn't have these things, it's not detailed enough to warrant a class.

A NEW class grants x abilities over the course of its progression
Taking the next "tier" in that class grants x-2 abilities over the course of its progression, but these always further play into strengths rather than shoring up weaknesses.
You also get 1 unique skill based on the class you "main", working similar to LoL passives in how subtle they are in effect.

As for "stats", I'd rather restrict that to equipment so things don't get all muddled.
>>
Definitely should use something looser with how you make things. It might be best to look into some of the more generic japanese TTRPGs for that, but I haven't really looked into SRS and such so I'm not sure on that.
>>
>>46863946
Different versions of Fate and HeroQuest had options where you could have "empty" starter skill slots and only assign a skill there when it became relevant to the story. The player decided their character would be good at that particular thing right there, since it hadn't come up in the game yet.
>>
>>46863946
The system the world uses is literally DnD 3.5 you tit. They even have a character buy tenser's floating disc.
>>
>>46870326
It works nothing like D&D in terms of character building. IIRC the class system was built around an extensively-branching class system that was divided into "job classes" and "race classes." With a level cap of 100, you could in theory take 1 level of 100 different classes.
>>
>>46871145
You just described D&D3e.

There are even "race classes", both with the Paragon racial class (which increases the racial abilities of the character) and with the race-exclusive classes. D&D3e is normally assumed to stop at 20th level, although there's nothing preventing a character from getting more standard character levels up to that. 100th level will just have an absurdly high HP, not to mention some very high stats and an absurd gold total.
>>
>>46871592
It's different, though.

In YGGDRASIL (the MMO they play) your race *is* your class in some respects, and the system is designed to allow you to refine your race and job though three or four branching trees.

Not to mention that the stats in the game are shit like Physical Attack, Magic Attack, Agility, etc.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.