[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The first page of a wizard's spellbook is traditionally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7
>The first page of a wizard's spellbook is traditionally left blank

For what purpose?
>>
Nigga, that's how most books are.
>>
>>46854236
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>46854236
Paper/Vellum/Parchment cartel want you to spend more money on their shit than you need.
>>
>>46854254
What compels you to make this meaningless post? Are you infected by a meme or something?

Well, the cure for that is realizing how stupid you are. Go on, develop a sliver of self-awareness.
>>
>>46854236
It's the table of contents which the wizard will get around to writing any day now, they swear
>>
they keep it empty because once they totally learn wish they'll write it there to say its done and so that he can easily open up the book and be like "look you simpleton. I can cast Wish!".
>>
>>46854380
Damn nigger rpgs are a genre not one fucking universe

You don't like hearing it, well, you're assblasted

For some the first and last page could be blank to symbolically seal the magic within from leaking out with a total void that magic can't leak through, others may have it be a tradition started by an eccentric but innovative wizard who popularized the spellbook

It literally depends on the setting
>>
>>46854236
The dye from the book cover tends to bleed onto the first page.

What, you wanted some fancy magical/cultural stuff? See >>46854254
>>
>>46854449
Everything depends on the setting.
It's a pointless statement that essentially is the equivalent of a person asking you how much something costs, and your answer is only that it depends on the currency.
Or if someone asks you what temperature they're supposed to bake their cake at, and your response is just that it depends on the elevation.

The only information you're really offering is that you can't be bothered to offer anything actually useful, but that you still are compelled to post about what might alter the conditions of the question as if anyone didn't already know that.
>>
>>46854236
For certain useful spells
>>
>>46854236
To sign the book as his owner.
Duuuuh.
>>
>>46854236
Tradition.
>>
>>46854646
The people should ask better questions, provide more context.
>>
>>46854646
no. If not for some exceptions, the Crunch does not depends on the setting
>>
>>46854380
I could ask the OP the same question.

What compels him to make a meaningless topic? Is he infected by a meme or something? Well, the cure for that is realizing how stupid he is. Go on, help him develop a sense of self awareness.

The "single line of green text"---discuss format is a meme, and 90% of the time, depends on the setting contains all valid answers to OPs question. If you want interesting discussion, try asking a question that isn't boring as shit or so easily answered by "depends on the setting".
>>
>>46854708
???
>>
Protection.
As the spell caster, so are the spells and powerful spells tend to be ever so slightly self-aware, since most wizards are arrogant, intelligent and curious the spells tend to wander within the book, like pets in a kennel.

And the most powerful of them can escape, if they find their way to the cover, discover there's an entire world outside the book and want to join it, in the same way a mage might become enraged and determined to escape if he found out his entire world was a construct, created by a greater force to hold him and harvest his power.
But a blank page is somewhere words aren't and thus stops them from exploring further, after all spells are set in ink and so that page is somewhere they can't go, it blockades them from the Cover (which no doubt has a title or ink on it) and so from the world outside, leaving them entirely unaware there's a world beyond their own.

Books are prisons for spells and a blank page is a wall.
>>
>>46854870
>>46854918
Are you genuinely stupid? It seems you are.

The question doesn't specify setting because not everyone is familiar with every setting, and more importantly it is a question that can be readily adapted to any setting if the answer is good enough.
The idea is to ask a question that anyone can participate in if they have a good idea, or know of a good idea, or simply have something genuinely interesting to say that might interest people to look into a game, book, or other source of inspiration.

If the question bores you, then don't answer. Being snide and admitting that you don't have anything interesting to say is something you should only do while wearing a trip code so that people can filter your posts in the future. There's really no point in hiding behind being anonymous while being a dick, just because you're upset that people aren't quite as autistic as you are.
>>
>>46855144
I'll trip up for these topics if the people who make them adopt a universal trip, or other filterable criteria.

Until then, "depends on the setting" is a valid answer. If you want to have an interesting discussion on /tg/, contribute something interesting.
>>
>>46855223
Please, adopt a trip if you think it's a valid answer and you're not just being a senseless dick who gets upset that people want to engage as many people from as many different games who may have interest in a question that's hardly tied to a single setting.

Take pride in your posts.
>>
>>46854676
I've always preferred Sepia Snake Sigil.
>>
>>46855144
Because if you honestly were asking for that, indicate as such in the OP pic.

>How do you do/prefer:
>>x
>Gimme your setting's take on:
>>y

You say that what you desire can be insinuated from the OP, and I would have to disagree considering you needed to post this. There's a relatively large leap in logic from a single greentext line to all this.
>>
>>46854236
Firetrap.
>>
>>46856100
Why is everyone except you able to understand without little difficulty? Hell, even you understand, but are just being deliberately obtuse and needy.

Please, just stop trying to defend the meme. It's pointless, passive aggressive, and is largely just a combination of people thinking they're clever for pointing out what everyone already knows, and people hoping to stifle or limit conversations that are not quite as dependent on any setting as they might imagine.
>>
>>46855144
Are you so stupid to think that these one line of greentext and a reaction image if you're lucky are in any way constructive or interesting?

If there's a pointless question, you give it the answer it deserves. Since we have no context or information to go on, the only answer you can expect is "depends on the setting".
>>
File: 1460172593073.jpg (29 KB, 178x334) Image search: [Google]
1460172593073.jpg
29 KB, 178x334
>>46855046
Great.

Now I have to run an adventure that takes place in a Wizard's spell book, with personified spells lurking inside a prison formed of chapter breaks and margins. Complete with all sorts of awful puns like the prisoners hiding information tattooed onto the soles of their feet, and the secret to unlocking the full potential of the spell they dove into the book to find is located in a vestigial organ in that spell's gut.
>>
>>46856624
Who are you?

Who. Are. You.
Who are you.
Where's your gavel? Your wig? Any badge of office?

Who died? Were you elected?
What are your qualifications?
>>
>>46854236
Well dnd wizards can only cast spells in their spellbook so presumably its useful to have space for one of you need to cast a specific spell, like say the one to lock up the BBEG
>>
>>46856624
If it's a pointless question in your eyes, than don't give it an answer and move on. Or, adopt a trip so that people can recognize what kinds of threads you personally think are pointless, so you can end up as a great joke for all the people who aren't stupid.
>>
>>46856624
>I lack imagination, understanding and creativeness, but I still can be an uptight asshole atacking people with passive-agressive pseudo-criticsm instead of joining the brainstorming or just leaving them on their own if I don't like it.

You are an example of the worst things of /tg/ both the board and the hobby.
>>
>>46856566
>>46856566
>Why is everyone except you able to understand without little difficulty?
I do believe that's because of your concerted efforts to drive off everyone who doesn't.

>Hell, even you understand, but are just being deliberately obtuse and needy.
I understand your explanatory post, but none of that can be inferred from a single line of greentext. I even gave suggestions on how to solve the problem, easy ones that take a fraction of the greentext's length, let alone the explanatory post that you seem to be ready to type out whenever someone pokes the obvious holes in the OP.
>>
>>46857141
>I do believe that's because of your concerted efforts to drive off everyone who doesn't.

What does this even mean? I actually had to reread it several times to try and figure out what in the world you are trying to say, because every time I think I have an answer, it seems literally too stupid for anyone to actually come up with.

Are you trying to say,
that there is a concerted effort,
to drive off everyone who isn't,
able to understand,
with little difficulty,
that when someone makes a statement without specifying the setting,
that they are asking for more of an answer than "it depends on the setting"?

>the obvious holes in the OP.
What holes? What are you even talking about? Where is the confusion? You are literally just making things more confusing by pretending that there's any ambiguity, dishonesty, hidden agenda, or sinister ulterior motive behind a simple opening post that asks for opinions and ideas about a topic that is not necessarily tied to a single game or setting.

Really, this little "debate" has gone on long enough, alongside the continued defense of a meme that has lost any shred of purpose long ago.
Pure and simple, it's just a dumb thing dumb people do because the only time they ever feel clever is when they see someone mention something without specifying the setting and recognize that the setting may play a role in the answer.
>>
>>46855259
>Take pride in your posts.

Oh look, it's this ancient cancer again.
>>
>>46856795
None of that is relevant on an anonymous imageboard.

If you cant't figure out something as simple as that, go back to spacebattles where you can whine to a mod about your hurt feelings.
>>
>>46857522
You seem to be the only one so agressively autistic to have an actual problem with the phrase, however, which is doing far, far more to drive people away from the thread than one offhand post that only seems to get your back up alone.
>>
File: 1438400338161.jpg (74 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1438400338161.jpg
74 KB, 1080x1080
>>46854646
>Getting this mad

You must be a spontaneous caster.
>>
>>46857522
The wonderful thing is that your autism storm has completely killed the thread, making the whole thing a pointless exercise. This is what such shit threads were always fated for.
>>
>>46854380
Try specifying a setting in your OP if you don't want to hear it.
>>
>>46854236

A blank page is actually how you represent the spell that makes a book into a spell book via magical runes.
>>
>>46857786
Or "in your setting, why is [x]"
>>
>>46856795
I'll have you know I'm the rightful King of America, living in exile in Finland.
>>
>>46857639
>missing the point

How's that autism?
>>
>>46857786
Why? Let's take this very thread as an example.
Explain what specifying a setting would add to the conversation.
>>
>>46857885
It would allow for a specific, verifiable answer to the question in the OP, allowing for a concise, useful thread unlikey to attract the storm of assburgers that it did.

If a brainstorming session was what was being asked for, then the post should have specified intead of leaving a vague, half-formed question that resulted in a storm of bullshit directed at someone indicating a need for clarification.
>>
>>46857732
>>46857781
Spare me. Let's not play around, and actually look at the problem at hand.
"Depends on the setting" has been reduced to essentially shitposting at this point.
Passive aggressive shitposting. On a point so trivial, so misguided, that it's embarrassing.

You insist on shitposting, because of flawed ideas built around misconceptions and passive aggressive misdirected anger.

For what goal? Do you really think people are going to change their ways, when it's rather clear that you are the one in the wrong? There's no way to justify yourself, and without that, all your "efforts" are just counterproductive. Your insistence on pushing your meme in place of actually having ideas and personality ultimately turns you into little more than a sad spiteposter, and that is the worst form of self-punishment.
>>
>>46857860
That's his line, not yours.
>>
>>46855259
And then you'll have 10+ more anons still using it. I hope you aren't dumb enough to think it:s one person.
>>
>>46858090
We exist in the age of google. If you want an answer relative to a setting, there is a wiki for just about every popular setting, and google for the rest. A specific answer also ends the discussion right and simple.

> then the post should have specified intead of leaving a vague, half-formed question that resulted in a storm of bullshit directed at someone indicating a need for clarification.

You don't need to specify the obvious. At what point do you think anyone actually wants to hear the reply "it depends on the setting" as if that were the answer they were looking for?

The only "storm of bullshit" that occured here came from someone who is not only so stupid that they didn't realize that "depends on the setting" was a meaningless response, but that they tried to defend that response.
As you now insist as well.

Stop this joke already.
>>
>>46858180
You do realise you're literally the only one who gives the slightest fuck about this, right?

All you're accomplishing here is to paint yourself as a sad, angry autist who's killing a perfectly decent thread with needlessly verbose rats against some imagined slight.

Stop embarassing yourself.
>>
>>46858320
>The only "storm of bullshit" that occured here came from someone who is not only so stupid that they didn't realize that "depends on the setting" was a meaningless response, but that they tried to defend that response.

No, it's pretty much all you.
>>
>>46854236
It represents the infinite potential of knowledge. Leaving the first page blank reminds wizards that no matter how many spells, techniques and powers they acquire, there is always something else to learn.
>>
>>46858318
That hardly changes the point.
One or ten, if you think it's a valid answer and not just being a senseless dick who plans on embarrassing themselves, use a trip.

But, since it's not a valid answer and is only used by senseless dicks interested in embarrassing themselves, it's more of a rhetorical request.
>>
>>46858321
Please, I already asked you to spare me with these little games.

You obviously care enough to try and defend your meme.
Stop pretending that you actually care about this thread, because if you did, you'd recognize that it's hardly being killed by this side discussion. Hoping to silence someone who's calling you out on your shit isn't really quite so simple.

Now, if you honestly worry about this thread, shut up, since there's really no way to properly defend the stupid "depends on settting" meme, as you must have realized.
>>
>>46858416
Right now the only "senseless dick" I can see is you, with this absurd rant against a phrase that seemingly mortally offends you, for reasons that only you seem to conceive of as realistic.
>>
It's for quick notes.
You'd be surprised by how useful it is to have an emergency piece of paper when you need one.
>>
>>46858507
You really are utterly full of yourself, aren't you? It's really quite astounding.
>>
>>46858519
If the phrase can't be defended as anything other than shitposting, that ends this discussion.
>>
>>46858507
There is no meme. It's nothing more than your own paranoid delusions. Noone else regards it in the same obsessive way you do.
>>
>>46858570
That would assume there's anything about the phrase that needs defending in the first place.

You, on the other hand, are worth the tiny amount of effort spent infuriating and taking you down a peg.
>>
>>46856728
There's a game like that on steam. Paper Sorcerer.
>>
>>46858544
It also saves them from that agonizing moment of sitting in the outhouse, reaching for some toilet paper, finding it gone, and realizing the only paper in a hundred yard radius has world-altering arcane secrets etched into it with hundreds of golds worth of ink.
>>
>>46858595
>>46858640

The point was already addressed.

>>46854646

Sorry, but the discussion is now closed. Your meme is worthless now.
>>
Only one person ever disagrees with you, Anon. You are never in the wrong. You always outnumber the wrong. You are right. You are right, and anyone who disagrees with you is a flawed person riddled with the philsophy of that website you don't like, and the political party you don't like. Your posts are quality, and the posts of others are not.
>>
>>46858658
Any good?
>>
>>46858570
As someone who didn't give a shit about this, after reading this thread, you've actually inspired me to use "Depends on the Setting" far more often. It's the only answer cunts like you deserve.
>>
>>46858707
Its on steam and you never heard of it. That should tell you.
>>
>>46858718
>spiteposting

This kills the meme. Go forth, and help who you despise.
>>
>>46858755
>kills the meme

But Anon, memes never die, they just take on new forms.

Then again, that depends on the setting.
>>
>>46854236

- Room for that explosive rune
- Bookbinder says it works better, refuse to explain why and wizards, who often feel no obligation to explain magic, utterly appreciate that rule.
- Representation of what life was like before apprentice mage; reminder there's more to life than magic.
- Traditionalists do it as a joke because it means the non-traditionalists traditionally DO put a spell on it, making them "an almost open book".

- safety mechanism for when visiting young relatives sneak in and drawn on book in craysons to surprise you (and you actually like your relations and find that endearing enough to not want them possibly maimed).

Make with the interesting answers /tg/.
>>
>>46859315
>-Traditionalists do it as a joke

I can see them doing it as part of a "Honor among thieves" kind of thing, where they all agree that they should all keep the first page blank, but they all keep secret information written on it in invisible ink because they all assume that everyone else thinks that they are too respectable to ever break such a tradition and deface the first page.
>>
>>46856566
>Why is everyone except you able to understand without little difficulty?

You answered your own question there Anon

>deliberately obtuse and needy.
>>
>>46858755
>help others who don't have any worth to you
fuck off, SJW
>>
>>46855046
is this a pratchett-ism?
>>
>>46857837
but in my setting, [x] isn't
you might as well ask why the sky is orange
>>
what the fuck is going on in this thread
>>
File: 2016_01_28_10_11_35.gif (3 MB, 460x246) Image search: [Google]
2016_01_28_10_11_35.gif
3 MB, 460x246
>>46861405
This entire thread is concentrated autism.
>>
File: 1405128804581.png (157 KB, 449x478) Image search: [Google]
1405128804581.png
157 KB, 449x478
>>46861506

Any thread when anons call each others SJW is deffo "on the spectrum"
>>
>>46861535
Tfw Canadian
Your post hurts me, anon.
>>
File: 1418279765689.jpg (16 KB, 369x329) Image search: [Google]
1418279765689.jpg
16 KB, 369x329
>>46861589
>>
>>46854236
So the ghost of the dead wizard can write a creepy message in blood at the front of his spellbook that says something like "DO NOT OPEN IF YOU VALUE YOUR SOUL".
>>
MMMMMMM Failed thread! Delicious!
>>
>>46863905
But if he's written it on the blank first page, haven't you already opened it?
>>
>>46864259
Yeah, it's a pretty good ghost prank.
>>
>>46855870
I'm partial to Scalamagdrions myself, but those are a close second.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.