[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The Kingdom has a finite number of gold coins >All gold
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
>The Kingdom has a finite number of gold coins
>All gold that does not reside in one of these coins has been magically tainted
>>
>>46839482
You don't really need gold for anything, so I think they're going to be pretty fine with it.
>>
>>46839482
...Well, kind of?

Rather, there are coins from Generic Ancient Super-Magic Empire that, while most are kept either carefully sealed away or tracked and registered by various orders, some caches might still be found here and there. While these coins are indeed smelted and forged from gold, their value goes far, far beyond their mineral content.

Simply put, the coins were trapped to 'eat' magic. Any spell cast in their vicinity has an 80% chance of being redirected into the coin instead, and if left too close to enchanted items, the coins can actually begin eating away at the spells embedded in the objects, rendering them inert and ultimately useless (if still high-quality).

Even more fun, about a third of the coins have a more sinister trap laced onto them that's undetectable by normal means, that causes them to not only 'eat' magical spells, but build up a charge from doing so, then explode without warning afterwards.

And this, my friends, is why, if you're planning to genocide your magically inferior slave-states while taxing them into oblivion, you don't let them know about it years in advance, because they make money specifically to fuck you over with after they're dead.
>>
>>46839482
There is no gold.
All the currency is beads made out of reinforced glass. The beads are transparent and contain holes in them, so you can chain them.
Their value comes from the fact that government-produced glass is extra clear, and the only one that can be used in good optics.
>>
>>46839482
As a wealthy subject of a neighbouring kingdom I'm justifiably miffed at the king of Gildenburg and his wizards for laying a curse on all the gold in the world. It's brazen economic warfare.
>>
>>46839482
Wouldn't that have crippling economic consequences eventually?
>>
File: Argent.jpg (580 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Argent.jpg
580 KB, 1920x1080
>>46839482
>crippling economic consequences

Not this shit again. Magic makes something out of nothing. That's its whole shtick. So, settings with magic never, ever need money for anything because WTF would you need to buy? What could you NOT magic for yourself? Start your bean-counting bullshit THERE and get back to us.
>>
File: 1375370689210.jpg (67 KB, 282x341) Image search: [Google]
1375370689210.jpg
67 KB, 282x341
>>46839482
>All the gold is actually silver
>All the silver is actually gold
Wizards, I'm telling you!
>>
>>46840260
Only if you stick to gold coins as currency, or a gold-standardized currency. The minute the realm realizes it can use some other good as its standard of value, it'll start doing so, because a non-growing value standard both fucks the common man over and severely limits the ability of nobles, guildheads and other big forces to accumulate wealth.
>>
>>46842458
Only if everyone knows how to magic + how to cast said spell
>>
>>46842458
>>46842639
And only if you've got shitty do-anything magic.
>>
>>46839482
Just use more silver coins.

>>46842458
>Everybody is a wizard
>Magic is the same in every setting.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.