[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mecha Tabletop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11
File: marco159b.jpg (169 KB, 1170x990) Image search: [Google]
marco159b.jpg
169 KB, 1170x990
What's the easiest to learn mecha game out there? I'd like one that focuses more on the mecha systems and combat, but if it's got combat skills for the pilots when out of the cockpit, that's good too.
>>
>>46823908
Giant Guardian Generation if you want weaboo, Chrome Strike if you want urban warfare and guerrilla jungle action.
>>
>>46823908
>Cthulhutech

Do black people get stealth bonuses in your game like the space drow?
>>
Battletech and Mechwarrior are worth a look
>>
>>46824152
I gave a player a +2 circumstance bonus at night when he asked for it.
>>
>>46824079
Chrome Strike sounds more like what I'm aiming for. I'll see if I can find a .pdf.

>>46824169
Which one of those two is easiest for players new to tabletop to pick up? I've been playing for a few years, but my new group has only been playing for a few months.
>>
>>46824306
http://dukefluffyproductions.blogspot.com/2015/01/chromestrike-09866.html?m=1
>>
>>46824306
Battletech is technically a boardgame, which should be easier to pick up but isn't really an RPG. Mechwarrior is a true RPG with great production values, and is worth looking at.
>>
>>46824325
Cheers.
>>
>>46823908
Well, there is Jovian Chronicles if you want gundam esque mecha battle without usual gundam bulshit.

Or, can go with gurps, im sure there is the rules somewhere.
>>
File: terranova_map_heavy_gear.jpg (977 KB, 2600x1350) Image search: [Google]
terranova_map_heavy_gear.jpg
977 KB, 2600x1350
>>46823908
Heavy Gear D6:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K6m56dGFijSkNpdHBoek5yeE0/edit

Gears of Peace River: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K6m56dGFijUUpqUDBPYjU1aDA/edit

Gears of the North: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K6m56dGFijZ3JPZU9HbUtLSVE/edit

Gears of the South: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K6m56dGFijQkJlZHpkUGtROU0/edit
>>
>>46823908
Strike! is great for squad based tactical combat, and although a generic system, it's quite well fitting with mechs.

You'll have to come up with your own justification for powers instead of the other way around (as in instead of having "Flamethrower: deals 2 damage and burns enemies" you got an ability that does 2 damage and burns enemies that you may want to fluff as a flamethrower or an ignition beam or something), but for mechs that should be really easy.

Also a very simple system to learn.
>>
>>46830297
>Strike!
No.
>>
>>46830211
Does this have anything to do with the videogame Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri?
>>
>>46830314
>No.
Yes.

Or you could just explain why not.
>>
>>46830330
Absolutely nothing, actually.
>>
>>46830383
What a shame.
>>
>>46830399
>shame
Fuck you, Heavy Gear is awesome.
>>
>>46823908
Pity those designs were wasted on that system and that their mechanical line failed to launch.
>>
>>46830422
Where did I state otherwise?
>>
>>46830627
Ignore him, he is just upset that his local scene is dead.
>>
>>46831482
Pretty sure there isn't an HG scene at all outside of Canada.
>>
>>46830333

I think people are just getting tired of Strike being suggested in every thread for every game. It's getting as bad as GURPS advocates.
>>
>>46832952
And at least the GURPS suggestion actually holds water.
>>
>>46832952
While that's true, I think it's relevant here.

I find it to be especially appealing for mecha, as long as you don't want don't want "real-mecha" style simulation (or don't mind adding it in as a module).
>>
Putting in a WIP for vehicle/mech creation.

Could use some testers to see which method works or feels better.
>>
I still say Silcore now that I've transcended simple 'murrican ideals and grasped the glory that is Complexity rules.
>>
>>46823908

Rifts. Or robotech if you want less magic.
>>
>>46834786
Robotech from what I hear kinda came out of the gate like a wet fart. is that true?
>>
>>46836709
Robotech RPG Tactics still hasn't delivered on their second and third waves of minis that were supposed to be released years ago.
It seems that the vast majority of the game's minis aren't available in online stores any more either.
From what I've read, the game's balance is a mess as well.

In addition, it's looking like Palladium is trying to work together with another publisher on another Kickstarter using their IP to get enough money to continue actually doing things.

Simply put, that debacle proved once more that it's never a good idea to give Palladium money, since it's run by an egocentric idiot who can't actually produce decent games or properly manage a business.
>>
File: make anime great again2.png (354 KB, 577x622) Image search: [Google]
make anime great again2.png
354 KB, 577x622
>>46823908
How do we make Cthulhutech great again?
>>
>>46823908
I've been running ChromeStrike and it's really fun, but you kind of have to make some things up on the fly. It's not a finished system.
>>
>>46833800
I'll try it. Standby.
>>
>>46823908
I want something that has Gundam style mechs, that carry their own firearms/melee weapons, or have on-board weapon systems.

Anything that works for this? I have CthulhuTech and I might just run it as a mecha game.
>>
>>46836989
Don't forget that the kits released so far are needlessly complex and have on average terrible mould lines. Each model is more comparable to an average Master Grade Gundam model kit instead of a tabletop model and splits large sections into unnecessary components. This weakens the structural integrity of the mofel, increases build time and are generally a pain in the ass to put together.
>>
>>46830297
Stop shilling Strike!

Why does /tg/ keep on shilling Strike!?
>>
>>46840758
Shut up nerd
>>
>>46838839
That should be fine. It works decently for that, just don't mix levels.
>>46840758
Not him, but because it's something /tg/ has a hand in creating and is well set for tactical combat. Stop seeing boogeymen where there are none.
>>
>>46841724
I'll probably do that, then. I wish they had more selections of mecha to use though. The core book is kinda boring in mecha designs.
>>
>>46838839
Lunar Reckoning 69.
>>
>>46833023
Yeah, for mecha I'd heartily recommend it. It'd be shit for a Call of Cthulhu replacement or Apocalypse World replacement or something, though. If your game's going to be combat heavy and silos people into roles, and can handle weird powers, Strike would be good.
>>
>>46824079
Chrome strike is pretty awesome, after reading through it.

Nice and rules light, with lots of customization.
>>
File: space_wizard_real.jpg (2 MB, 883x1280) Image search: [Google]
space_wizard_real.jpg
2 MB, 883x1280
I'm partial to Mekton Zeta, personally, though it isn't even remotely easy to learn considering the crunch involved in Mek-making. Still a great system, for all its 90s jank.
>>
>>46841724
I'd contest that "decently, " but yes, it works. Though lack of some pretty basic things, like mecha customization, will make it inconvenient to use.
>>
>>46844558
It's just like GURPS, don't humour them.
>>
>>46843716
It could technically work as very light *World style narrative game if you don't use any of the other modules. But it'd be a kinda shitty one.
>>
>>46837120

Reboot the gameline and do it WoD style where each book is dedicated to a specific style, so street level/cultist, Tager, and mecha/Engle are better fleshed out.
>>
>>46842348
You are only using the core book?! Get the pdfs from here or legally. You need Vader Mecum for the rules fixes and more mecha, at the very least.
>>
>>46843742
My group had a lot of fun removing mechakebab.
>>
>>46823908
Does anyone have the Cthulhutech PDFs?
>>
>>46847378
http://www.4shared.com/folder/gMcKn438/CthulhuTech.html
>>
>>46847424
Thanks mate.
>>
Cthulhutech has an awful, broken, almost unplayable system. I don't understand how anyone here is recommending it at all.
>>
>>46847696
The card mechanic in Vade Meccum is alright.
>>
>>46847696
Because there is potential in the system and setting. An Anon wants to run it, so some of us will help them try.
>>
>>46848642
>there is potential in the system
No, there really isn't.

The setting has potential but only works if you port it to a completely different system.
>>
File: Lasers and Feelings Cyberpunk.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Lasers and Feelings Cyberpunk.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46823908
Best system I've ever seen for mecha is 4e for combat/mechan, and pic-related for out of combat/pilot.

Needs a little willingness to refluff, but almost no actual house rules.
>>
>>46851590
>Best system I've ever seen
Haven't seen a lot of mecha systems then, eh?
>>
>>46851698
Quite a few, and the overwhelming majority are either clunky modular simulation-fests that spend way too much time differentiating the Vas-Tech 3x4 missile pod and the Dobs Indusrty 5X2 missile pod, or lame Rifts-Esque "trade numbers back and forth until someone runs out of numbers" game. Neither simulates the actual feel of the mecha genre. 4e actually does.
>>
File: 1399571194175.jpg (227 KB, 1240x786) Image search: [Google]
1399571194175.jpg
227 KB, 1240x786
>>46852214
>the overwhelming majority are either clunky modular simulation-fests that spend way too much time differentiating the Vas-Tech 3x4 missile pod and the Dobs Indusrty 5X2 missile pod, or lame Rifts-Esque "trade numbers back and forth until someone runs out of numbers" game. Neither simulates the actual feel of the mecha genre. 4e actually does.
>>
>>46852290
Is there an actual argument here, or..?
>>
>>46852367
People who hate 4e hate it and any mention of it irrationally, even when it's taken out of the genre it was poorly shoehorned into and into a genre it's actually suited for.
>>
I like a lot of stuff about Dragonmech, although it needs radically better rules. Integration into normal D20 kind of ruined it.
>>
>>46841724
>it's something /tg/ has a hand in creating
/tg/ never wrote Strike!
>>
File: Mini_Six.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Mini_Six.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46830211
D6 and more specifically Mini Six are just great for mecha games. I run a OC Gundam campaign with Mini Six and some added stuff from Star Wars and D6 Space for my friends and started planning a Macross one for shits and giggles and it works surprisingly well.
>>
>>46852428
>People who hate 4e hate it and any mention of it because of how painfully dull it is, even when it's taken out of the genre it was poorly shoehorned into and into a genre it's also poorly shoehorned into.

Fix'd
>>
>>46852543
>People who suggest Mekton Zeta
>Calling anything dull

Nigga please
>>
>>46852528
>yet another generic d6 system

Might as well use Tri-Stat DX at this point
>>
>>46853156
>yet another generic d6 system
WEG D6 is pretty much the grandfather of all "generic d6 systems."

>Might as well use Tri-Stat DX at this point
Just because one game uses the same kind of die as another doesn't mean they're even remotely the same, do you seriously think that WoD plays the same as L5R or that TRoS plays like either because they both use d10s? Or that D&D and Rifts are the same because they both use d20s to make attack rolls?
>>
>>46853156
>Might as well use Tri-Stat DX at this point
Well, considering that BESM uses tri-stat, and has built-in mecha rules....
>>
>>46844956
That's actually what they are doing right now, but since they aren't changing he core mechanics much I doubt people are going to turn 180 on the game. If they leave out the creepy rape stuff I'll at least check it out
>>
>>46848418
You've actually used that? I was legit curious about it seemed way less all over the place than poker dice
>>
>>46853380
It shifts tone a bit more in the player's favor, but Cthulhutech is about fighting the gribblies back so it doesn't feel wrong.
>>
>want to run Chromestrike
>have no idea about how r20 works
>dont have time to make eloborate maps/icons anyway and I doubt just playing on white fields with unit counters would be fun for anyone
>>
File: Impassable.png (88 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Impassable.png
88 KB, 2000x2000
>>46857470
http://www.rptools.net/downloadsw/

Download TokenTool. You just drag and drop images onto it then hit save and it makes them into fancy tokens. As for maps, I've used generic icons like pic related for terrain (this one in particular was impassible terrain for a Battle Century G game). For a map background you can just change the color to fit the general terrain (green for grasslands, grey for city, etc) or find a generic background image to use or something. Really it doesn't matter so much as long as you're descriptive with everything. Another trick I used was to overlay a transparent scanline image over my maps to make it look more like a tactical battle screen which made the terrain icons a lot more fitting.

Image editing skills are a plus but you can easily set up a good looking game without much effort.
>>
>>46852487
I tried to play Dragonmech, and found out that a 5th level barbarian could fight mechs easily... ugh.
>>
>>46853360
>leave out creepy rape
>/tg/
I think you need to take your disgusting liberal SJW shit and get out.
>>
>>46858300
To do that, you would have to change the entire MO of the Deep Ones that they've had since the thirties.

>Body horror shouldn't make me uncomfortable!
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.