[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a two-stroke motor driven sword more, or less dumb than the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 11
File: 4stroke_steamdriven_Gunblade.jpg (173 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
4stroke_steamdriven_Gunblade.jpg
173 KB, 1280x960
Is a two-stroke motor driven sword more, or less dumb than the gunblade of FF6?

Also, stat this weapon because reasons. Let me know what system you're using -- I only ever play 4E even when my party switched to Pathfinder
>>
>>46822382
Did you mean FF7?

6 was the one with Kefka.
>>
>>46822400
FF8 was the one with gunblades. FF7 was the one with Sephiroth
>>
Also, isn't this basically a Sawzall?
>>
File: PerfectlyReasonable.jpg (78 KB, 600x391) Image search: [Google]
PerfectlyReasonable.jpg
78 KB, 600x391
>>46822382
Yes I'm being facetious I've also played 3.5

With a bunch of idiots.

>>46822400
FFXII was the only one I ever played. Coworker likes to diss the gunblade so I knew it was around that time.
>>
>>46822412
Oh, ok. I stopped halfway through 7 and never went back.
>>
>>46822382
>Is a two-stroke motor driven sword more, or less dumb than the gunblade of FF6?
>filename clearly says 4stroke
>>
File: 2-stroke-version.jpg (107 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
2-stroke-version.jpg
107 KB, 1280x960
>>46822461
>filename

Sometimes I rename files.
>>
>>46822382
It's more dumb because at least the gunblade could be used as a blade, the added weight of the motor is going to screw with the basic ability to use it as a sword. Of course an ordinary sword is better than either.
>>
>>46822382

but what does the motor drive? is it also secretly a chainsaw or something?
>>
File: 6323-467075-20090301201230.jpg (19 KB, 564x548) Image search: [Google]
6323-467075-20090301201230.jpg
19 KB, 564x548
>Can I add a motor to a sword
Red Queen says hi
>>
>>46822692
The motor spins one of those hexagon things, which does something.
>>
>>46822692
I think it pushes the sword blade back and forth. Which is actually less retarded than the gunblades from ff where the gun part was loaded with a blank to cause the blade to vibrate. The weight of the motor is still a bigger issue.
>>46822713
Isn't that more jet/flamethrower?
>>
>>46822765
Basically, twisting the handle sprays gasoline, pulling the trigger/brake ignites the gasoline that's been sprayed on the blade and most likely the enemies too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCRqjX8MJvA
>>
>>46822862
That seems like a really good way to set yourself on fire.

Though I guess if you're the son of a demon lord that isn't as much of an issue.
>>
File: 1364501214866.gif (3 MB, 355x200) Image search: [Google]
1364501214866.gif
3 MB, 355x200
>>46822955
Yah it's not really a problem for the children of sparda
>>
File: IwKduEB.gif (2 MB, 302x230) Image search: [Google]
IwKduEB.gif
2 MB, 302x230
>>46822449
I don't have a reaction image for this much heresy.
>>
>>46822955
>>46823055
Would just like to point out that weapons with engines in them seem to be the standard for whatever religion Nero is a part of.
>>
>>46822765
>>46822862
>>46822955
>>46823055
It also propels Nero forward all on it's own, he can even ride around on a demon by only using the Red Queen by standing on a demon, sticking his sword through it into the ground, and reving up his sword.
>>
>>46823355
Whoops, forgot my link
https://youtu.be/RiCK2CVyL5w?t=3m55s
>>
>>46823280
That's the best part of that religion
>>46823355
Just the right amount of CUHRAZZY
>>
>>46823115
What the fuck is that gif, Jesus titty-fucking christ, I don't think I'm eating tonight
>>
File: 1461241183093.jpg (42 KB, 450x1073) Image search: [Google]
1461241183093.jpg
42 KB, 450x1073
>>46822592

I was actually tempted to ask this over on /k/, but does this hold true for aggressively large cross guards too? Like, any weird additional weight above the hand-grippy-stick section of the sword would merely unbalance the sword, and you'd need to add more weight to the pommel, making hte pommel the ideal location of any weird grubbings like a 2-stroke-chug-a-whirler like in op's sword.

>>46822722

I'd assume that the blade folds down to the side, and then twirls around the top of the handle like a giant grass strimmer.

>>46823115

halfway through 7 is that annoying bit in the primitive village where the entire game fucking slow right the fuck down and the plot has to start rebuilding all its lost momentum as you move towards sephiroph.
>>
>>46825038
>I was actually tempted to ask this over on /k/, but does this hold true for aggressively large cross guards too?
I'm no weapon expert, but cross guards tend to be (relatively) light. The largest concern with an overly large cross guard is probably it getting in the way, bumping, or getting caught on something unintended. With a cross guard that wide, your own body could end up unable to move out of the way when moving the sword to certain angles.

Also, beyond a certain point, increasing the size of the cross guard is fairly pointless. It just needs to catch incoming blades, not stop a charging boar. I guess that if they were too large, then the weight could end up unbalanced if you had a weapons clash and someone locked up to your guard.

TL;DR: An overly large cross guard would likely be a problem, but not because of weight.
>>
>>46825038
>cross guards
It's about the balance and weight. If it's well balanced? Not so much, unless it catches on clothes and other stuff.

Off balanced blades suck for extended combat, bigger weapons aren't made for extended combat - zweihanders are meant for killing something quickly and thoroughly.

>Chainswords

Chainsaws suck as weapons - the chain likes to buck during the initial cut, especially dull blades.

There's a reason chainsaws have the grip on the top - it helps the user keep the blade down.

>Two vs Four Stroke Motor

Go two. Wasteful, messy, shit loads of maintenance, but simple and a hell of a lot lighter.
>>
>>46822382

Swords aren't even very good weapons WITHOUT a motor.

I suppose a sword with a motor on it could make a better status symbol than a sword without.
>>
>>46822713
Maan I need to replay that game.
>>
>>46822382
>steam-anything
please don't
>>
>>46822862
that sounds grievously retarded
>>
>>46826338
Here comes the spearchucking defence force.
>>
>>46826338
>swords aren't very good weapons

Fuck off shill.

Spears are great and all, but nothing beats the portability and versatility of a sword. Except maybe a dagger but that's a shit weapon and an amazing tool.
>>
>>46822382
>>46822543
>>46822713
>gunblade
...That's a spinning rod with a blade.
Who are you trying to trick?
>>
>>46825038
>>46825992

Here, watch this to know about giant crossguards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOgw3Xr8rnE
>>
>>46830693
He was asking whether that mad contraption was better than the mad contraption that is FF's gunblade as described in >>46822765
>>
>>46823115
As a guy who played through a couple FF7 games, but wasn't invested enough to give shit about it, FF7 is pretty shit.
It has a lot of common problems for jRPGs - unskippable cutscenes, both in-battle and out-of-battle, retardedly long tutorial (or however you want to call it, the point is that you aren't given all the game tools until, like, 15 hours into the game), and excessive focus on the story.

That said, I enjoyed Final Fantasy 1 through 6, and some of the Final Fantasy Tactics games (not all of them, though). Oh, and Crystal Chronicles were pretty okay.

Honestly, if we're talking Square Enix, then I think TWEWY did it very close to being right - yeah, you are restricted from a lot of stuff which is not accessible until later in the game or even post-game, and the unskippable cutscenes in form of dialogues still persist, but the main component of the game - the battles, the clothes, the pins - are actually extremely fun.

I can not imagine a single Final Fantasy game after the sixth one where you could just completely stop with progressing the plot and just battle with monsters and evolve your pins/materia/classes/whatever, because it's fun as fuck.

That's the problem with the latest Final Fantasy games - they are not engaging and way too protracted.
>>
>>46822382
Less. I can at least envision what the fuck this stupid thing is supposed to do. Gunblades are retarded even in Imaginationland.
>>
>>46822382
>Leaveitallbehind.mp3
>>
>>46822382
>Gunblade of FF6

Saged, blocked, reported, FBI notified, mom called, thread hidden
>>
>>46833767
What sub unit of the FBI deals with nerds with criminally low power levels?
>>
File: dmc4_special_edition-Lady.jpg (43 KB, 470x259) Image search: [Google]
dmc4_special_edition-Lady.jpg
43 KB, 470x259
Reminder that in Devil May Cry even basic humans can be ABSOLUTELY CUHRAYZEE!
>>
>>46822382
Maybe if it was a boxer engine design, the block was the guard, and it went high RPM without somehow blasting through fuel it MIGHT be useful is some sort of vibroblade-esque action but thats a LOT of power you're working against in your swing and there's no good way to control throttle unless you have some vulnerable as fuck cable going to your offhand.
>>
File: t5.jpg (45 KB, 450x365) Image search: [Google]
t5.jpg
45 KB, 450x365
>>46825038
>I was actually tempted to ask this over on /k/, but does this hold true for aggressively large cross guards too?

Guards can have decent amount of mass in them, as with a full baskethilt for example.

What's important in such cases is that everythign plays together. The balancing on the blade itself, the mass of the guard (and where that mass sits in the case of baskethilts and whatnot) and the mass of the pommel all affect balance, and as such they must all come together to produce a good result. Taking a well balanced sword and adding a much lighter or heavier guard will both result in a not so good balance.

That said, things can of course go too far. If the guard of a single handed sword weights in at a kilogram on its own, then Hephiastos himself isn't going to get that thing to a sane total weight and balance. For less ridiculous examples, exactly where we can start drawing the line is something I won't try to put any kind of number on. It's certainly going to vary with the sword.

It should perhaps also be mentioned that pommels and IIRC guards alike have ended up hollow at various points in history, as fashion asked for more volume than the balancing liked.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.