[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>that awkward moment when you find out the goblins/orcs/cultists/vampires/ect.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8
File: 1405290747619.png (228 KB, 500x271) Image search: [Google]
1405290747619.png
228 KB, 500x271
>that awkward moment when you find out the goblins/orcs/cultists/vampires/ect. you've been mercilessly slaying are actually decent people trying to make the most of things
>tfw you don't give a shit and you just want to kill them because that's the easiest option
>>
>>46816103
>tfw you don't give a shit and you just want to kill them because that's the easiest option

Easiest option? I had to trudge through miles of filthy swamp, scale down a buried ruin and then fight an army of mooks just to spend the last three hours trying to brute force the most retarded puzzle lock in human history. Fuck you...I'm killing something today.
>>
This happened in my setting's history. They slaughtered and enslaved the goblins, after killing their creator and leader, and it took them over 200 years for someone to realise they were actually not inherently evil. Every race (except dwarves who didn't give a shit) felt a little embarrassed for a while, and gave them a chunk of land to start their own civilization. They still act like slaves.
>>
File: 1453646166358.png (793 KB, 1165x619) Image search: [Google]
1453646166358.png
793 KB, 1165x619
>it's a "the monsters that have been attacking you are actually good and you should feel bad for fighting them" campaign

I think that's more cliched at this point than orcs or whatever just being irredeemably evil.
>>
>>46816103
If you make your "decent living" by killing and looting then you are not being Decent.

if the vampires live off of cow blood and such from livestock they raise or purchase then who am i to attack them? but if they steal cattle, or god forbid kill humans, then they are criminals and ought to be destroyed.

if the setting has a powerful legal system then i will arrest them, if possible.

in one game i arrested an entire warren of goblins and had them chain-ganged to the regional jail.
>>
>>46816460
>in one game i arrested an entire warren of goblins and had them chain-ganged to the regional jail
Fun!
>>
>>46816441
This cliche has been going on for years but I curious if the game Undertale made it more popular? That's pretty much what the game is.
>>
File: javert.jpg (14 KB, 443x295) Image search: [Google]
javert.jpg
14 KB, 443x295
>>46816496
my character from that campaign was an inquisitor based on pic related.
>>
>>46816103
> that moment of relief, that you didn'T kill all the monsters and they rally to you as support to shatter the sphincter and ass of that faggot who tried to manipulate everyone against eachother because he spends too much time on cun/tg/ranula, the shi/tg/ourmet restaurant of grimdark elegan/tg/entlements.
> the moment we all come insde him and he literally inflates, then explodes from all the cum and is infected with a myriad versions of Super-HIV, which also rallied to my cause after gaining andvanced sentience.
> we say no homo in unison.
>>
>>46816540
Mary Gentle did it with Grunts! a fair bit ago, and in fairness her Orcs aren't really qualitatively worse than a lot of the other people around. Some of the Halflings are horrid little sociopaths that eat intelligent people and slit throats without a second thought too, for instance.

Some of the more heroic "heroes" are pompous jackasses for that matter, too. Orc Ball is still pretty barbaric, granted.
>>
>>46816103
>are actually decent people trying to make the most of things
This is what SJWs actually believe.
>>
>>46816665
usually bullshit, but sometimes its true. sure a street urchin is a criminal, but having them all pegged as evil is misguided.
>>
>>46816103
>not having goblins be the reincarnated souls of children who had their souls fed to the mcguffin, and are trapped in an endless cycle of muder, death and rebirth.
>>
>>46816365
So, um, I have to tell you something about your setting...
>>
>>46816540
Undertale is an interesting case of it because it makes it absolutely clear from the outset that this is the case. "Nobody has to die" was the game's tagline but apparently an eternity of being trapped inside a soulless flower doesn't count.
>>
>>46816540

Nah, it was basically the new status quo by that point, anyway, at least if you're beyond the most plebian of pleb tiers.

Anyway, regarding the main thread topic, the thing is that the idea of good v. evil is a pretty recent thing. In ancient pagan/paganesque societies, peoples may have thought of themselves as superior to others, but they really didn't think in terms of what we'd call good and evil. Other people were just other people, and you knew they were just trying to get along and do their best in the world the same as you, but they were them and you were you and if it came down to us vs. them then fuck them. You didn't champion your own people because you thought the enemy was evil, you did it because you had bonds of loyalty and obligation to your own people. If your people had something important to gain from killing other people, like land or food or salt or whatever, then it was sword meets face time.

Take the ancient romans, for example. If someone they conquered had some good shit in their culture, technology or art or whatever, then they took it for themselves. There are even reports of roman soldiers stealing the city gods from their enemies and taking them back to rome, promising them temples and feasts and games in return for not being mad their old home got sacked. They didn't think their enemies were evil, just in their way, and were just huge enough assholes to not care that they weren't intrinsically bad people.

So, why shouldn't adventurers be the same? Maybe those goblins aren't bad people, but if they're causing problems for the kingdom you're loyal to or if they're sitting on some resources you need for a war with another kingdom or whatever, well, why not send them to meet their gods, and let a superior civilization use what they're putting to waste?
>>
>>46816103
>>that awkward moment when you find out the goblins/orcs/cultists/vampires/ect. you've been mercilessly slaying are actually decent people trying to make the most of things
That's the case with most evil people. Even Hitler was a decent person doing bad things, really.
>>
File: hipster-358479_640.jpg (106 KB, 457x640) Image search: [Google]
hipster-358479_640.jpg
106 KB, 457x640
>Ugh, traditional fantasy so mainstream.
>In MY setting, the "evil" races are just misunderstood free spirits whereas the "good" races are misguided imperialists fueled by religious zealotry, jingoism, and capitalism.
>Demons aren't "evil" they're just extreme advocates of freedom in all its forms.
>Angels are basically Nazis, just like all religious people in real life.
>>
File: heelempire1.jpg (234 KB, 760x596) Image search: [Google]
heelempire1.jpg
234 KB, 760x596
>>46816841
>>
File: heelempire2.jpg (205 KB, 760x596) Image search: [Google]
heelempire2.jpg
205 KB, 760x596
>>46816841
pic related
>>
>>46816540
No, what popularized it was orcs in WoW and it's not stupid or bad trope because it makes much more sense than always chaotic evil races. Problem with it is that sometimes it's overdone and thus ends up being accidental or intended "good guys are bad guys" inversion that's pretty much on same retardness level with "bad guys are just bad guys" type of stuff.
>>
File: final_fantasy_gudjob.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
final_fantasy_gudjob.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>46816884
>>
>>46816540
I doubt it since only hipsters, furfags, and furry diaper inflation fetishists bought that game
>>
>>46816868
Pretty much, most people justify to themselves that they're doing the 'right' thing no matter the heinousness of their actions. Of course, if what they're doing is also harming others than that's plenty reason to kick their teeth in and tell them to cut that shit out.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.