[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, gentlemen... I'm looking to create a secondary antagonist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: hqdefault-1.jpg (25 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault-1.jpg
25 KB, 480x360
Hello, gentlemen...

I'm looking to create a secondary antagonist for my D&D 3.5 campaign who would be similar to Mad Pierrot. His involvement in the campaign would seem perifrial but would be nearly impossible to defeat should he be confronted. I need him to be freightening enough so that my players will always have him in the back of their mind, wondering if he's lurking somewhere. I intend to use this character as a means to lead the players into the greater part of my campaign, in which their only hope for truly defeating him lies.

Tl;dr, stat me.
>>
>>46814725
Have you tried not playing 3.5?
>>
>>46814725
>impossible to defeat should he be confronted
The fuck do you need stats for then, fool? Why are you even running a campaign with this kinda shit? Just write a book, nigga.
>>
>>46814725
>impossible to defeat should he be confronted
>stat me

Stats: You lose
>>
>>46814725
>impossible to defeat
>use this character as a means to lead the players into the greater part of my campaign, in which their only hope for truly defeating him lies.

CHOO CHOO ALL ABOARD!
>>
File: The Dune Storybook 3.jpg (236 KB, 1176x1600) Image search: [Google]
The Dune Storybook 3.jpg
236 KB, 1176x1600
>>46814776
This.
>>
File: wizard separation.gif (949 KB, 275x275) Image search: [Google]
wizard separation.gif
949 KB, 275x275
I agree with the previous posters re: 3.5, but I'll try to be helpful.

I would suggest as backstory (if you don't have one already) a wizard who created a demiplane out of his own dreams and became trapped there. A projection of his dreaming mind sometimes appears on the material plane, throwing random spells, making devastating attacks, and occasionally spending a combat round picking flowers, crying for no reason, or chasing a stray cat. Attacks don't miss him, they pass right through him. This is better than giving him insanely high defenses, which are harder to justify and which the PCs will try to find some way to overcome; it should be clear to an intelligent player that this guy isn't an opponent to be slain, but a more complicated kind of problem.

So, make a list of actions (including spells, attacks, and wasted random actions) to roll on during combat.
>>
DM sort of did something similar by having an NPC stalk us with a car, in a medieval fantasy setting. We had to always be cautious about getting run over or hit.
>>
>>46814857
Nah, I wouldn't call that railroading. The character is not actively trying to kill the PCs, just causing a lot of mischief and mayhem. Their involvement would be entirely coincidental. They don't have to find out about him if they don't want to.
>>
>>46815417
If your plot doesn't revolve around this character then why feel the need to make him unkillable?
>>
>>46816904
He's not unkillable. If the players follow his trail then they'll learn enough about him to put him down.
>>
>>46817307
>only if they do exactly what I want will they succeed

Classic railroad bub
>>
>>46817307
Seriously, don't do this. You are clearly attached to the idea of this character. Just don't.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.