[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happens if a genestealer infects a space marine? Is the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8
File: Stealer_Helmet.jpg (55 KB, 873x542) Image search: [Google]
Stealer_Helmet.jpg
55 KB, 873x542
What happens if a genestealer infects a space marine? Is the gene seed tainted or does it just sit there?
>>
In the word bearers second book a berserker was infected and he asked to be killed because he could feel himself changing
>>
>>46813675

As >>46814034 says. That particural Word Bearer was executed by his blood brother because a possessed Techno Magos said the taint is irreverible. So yea.
>>
>>46813675
This happened in the fluff. To a Grey Knight and a Blood Raven in two separate stories.

The Hivemind takes over the marine and uses them as puppets.
>>
>>46814492
>Techno Magos said the taint is irreverible

....but the Tau are said to have developed a cure for the genestealer infection. They should have taken him to Tau space.
>>
>>46814592
>Tau in 30K
Is you serious nigga?
>>
>>46814669
Tau players ain't that bright.
>>
>>46814669
The Word Bearer books happen in 40K.
>>
>>46814695
>>46814669
How did you get 30k from that?

>>46813675
The Grey Knight's (audio)book has a Paladin? get infected, he gets mental on his brothers but manages to hold it back long enough to tell the MC to kill him.
>>
>>46814695
Brighter that most.

When anon said the Word Bearer second book did he mean the second book of this series?

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Word_Bearers_(Novel_Series)

Which happen in 40K?

Going by what we know from Pharos, we can assume there were no Tyranids in the galaxy in 30K.
>>
>>46814714
>How did you get 30k from that?

Imperialfags are just utter retards sometimes.

Anyways, the audiobook you are referring is called "Incorruptible".

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/known-unknown-eshort.html

This is a similiar story except the afflicted marine has totally succumbed to the mind control.
>>
>>46814592
>Believing the Tau
May the emperor's mercy grant you peace.
>>
>>46814779
>tyranids in 30k

Nope
>>
Any good Genestealer short stories out there? It strikes me they'd be great fodder for a creepy sci-fi horror story. Some off-world mine worker gets infected, takes a little generous paid time off work, is trying to have a kid with wife, and the story spirals downwards from there describing the mental changes the parents go through, the secret birth of the hybrid, capturing people for it to breed with, meeting other infected, the growing cult, really get into the religious aspect of it, the Patriarch Genestealer coming forth to the hidden cult, becoming bigger and bigger until a Hive Fleet begins closing in, the parents dying in the rebellion to weaken the planetary defenses.

Could make a really good sci-fi story. Warhams might be dumb, but it's individual parts are full of great ideas. I'd write it if I was more confident in 40k lore.
>>
>>46814669
>nids in 30k
>>
>>46814822
Can you read English? Where did I say there were nids in 30K?
>>
>>46814887
Then who was genesteal?
>>
>>46814933
Their where genesteelers on some moon can't remember what it was called but they Imperium thought they were a unique species
>>
>>46815236
Ymgarl. They WERE unique until retconned into being Tyranids.
>>
>>46815322
That's not true.
>>
>>46815322
Really huh, guess I haven't kept up on the fluff to much.
>>
>>46814859
To be fair, Nids sent vanguards so long ago that many became semi-native lifeforms.

So a Nid vanguard fleet in 30k isn't that absurd so long as it is small and maybe just a single kind of Nid, like a genestealer.

>Marines find strange bioship
>board
>genestealers
>>
>>46814592
Allowing some stinking Xenos to poke around inside your soul. Aliens infect your spirit as surely as any daemon. Contact with xenos techno heresy will irreversibly contaminate your immortal soul, you will be forever tainted and will fall short of the grace of the Emperor. You would be replacing one infection with another. It is better to die for the Emperor, pure and whole, than to live for yourself.

This is what the Imperial Creed dictates.
>>
In Space Hulk novel the space marine was changing but it didnt have direct effect on him since the geneseed is stronger than the infection.
>>
>>46814592
>Possessed Techno-Magos

There's no reason to believe the Mechanicus in certain areas hasn't come up with a cure, but by no means is that sort of thing widespread in the later 30,000's and 40k.
>>
A chapter the had fallen to s stealer cult rather than to chaos could be a neat modeling project.
>>
>>46815431
But yeah, he was pretty changed on looks so they had to kill him with flamethrower.
>>
>>46815398
Oh wait, Word Bearer. Replace everything I said about the Emperor with Lorgar/Dark Gods. And remember: It is better to die for the Dark Gods, whole and complete, than to live as a blasphemy. The Dark Gods are jealous Gods and will brook no competition.
>>
The Deathwatch comic has a Marine fall to the taint of the Genestealer cult and is used as a puppet to fight off the other Deathwatch marines from claiming a bio-weapon against the Tyranids.
>>
>>46815336
Then provide me some material to educate me, anon.
>>
>>46815450
Damn, I wish this was a thing...
>>
>>46814752

>Going by what we know from Pharos, we can assume there were no Tyranids in the galaxy in 30K.

Genestealers are considered vanguard forces of the Tyranids, and they've been floating around for millenia before the Tyranids proper showed up. At first it was assumed that they were separate alien entities entirely, and originally they were, but they were later merged into the Tyranid Codex with fluff reiterating as much.
>>
>>46813675
>What happens if a genestealer infects a space marine?

It would be extremely painful
>>
File: Tinfoil_Hat_Cat.jpg (26 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Tinfoil_Hat_Cat.jpg
26 KB, 400x300
>>46815795
Or... Maybe the Genesteelers WERE a separate species but the Nid's absorbed them and kept their abilities the same
>>
>>46815342
From what I've read you're right, they were called the Ymgarl, and had tentacles, then were retconned into Ymgarl genestealers, who apparently GW hasn't finished deciding what they actually are, i saw an old blurb about ymgarl and a newer one about "ymgarl genestealers"
>>
>>46814592
>....but the Tau are said to have developed a cure for the genestealer infection. They should have taken him to Tau space.
This happened in 30k. The Tau were basically cave-dwelling cannibal rock-worshippers at this point.
>>
>>46816541
I am glad you read the rest of the thread and noticed it was already clarified that the novel happens in 40k
>>
>>46813675
>Not BrotherYorrick.jpg
YOU HAD ONE JOB
>>
>>46814701
so some chaos marines just make a diplomatic journey out to tau central and request some help? that is even dumber, good work.
>>
>>46815667
Ymg genestealers were mentioned first in the 5th ed nid codex. There was no retconning.
>>
>>46815795
The Tyranids only become aware to the galaxy mid-way of the HH.

If Tyanids had eyes inside the galaxy before Pharos exploded, then the destruction of the artefact and its consequence wouldn't be portrayed as a big deal.
>>
>>46814752
>>46815795
>>46820454
It's been implied that the Nids have been in the galaxy before a long time ago (either a vanguard force got there long before the main hive fleet, or the Nids to the Mass Effect Reapers thing and kill everything in the galaxy, then retreat into the intergalactic void to wait for more life to appear). Catachan Devils, the Kraken of Fenris and the Ymgarl Genestealers are all supposed to be remnants of those Nids that have since gone freal without the presence of the hive mind and evolved into different forms.

The Hive Mind likely wasn't aware of their existence, since they're not synapse creatures and aside from the Ymgarl Gensetealers seem so far removed from normal Nids they probably aren't part of the hivemind anyway,
>>
>>46814592
I'm sure that's what they'd like to think.
>>
>>46820385
Ymgarl Genestealers are from the original Rogue Trader and aren't even implied to be Tyranids until 2nd edition.
>>
>>46813675

In Deathwatch, Marines are immune.
>>
>>46815799
You're a big guy
>>
>>46814592
>but the Tau are said to have developed a cure for the genestealer infection. The
Have you ever see them return? That's right, it's just a slogan for quietly and voluntary kill them off camera, they never had a cure anon, that's how they gain your trust.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (100 KB, 573x415) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
100 KB, 573x415
>>46814592
But anon, there is already a cure. Just deply something to biologically screw them back to normal.
>>
File: Picture 1.jpg (591 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Picture 1.jpg
591 KB, 1920x1080
>>46821399

This.

The proto-nids of the time were called "Zoats." Before GW did what they do and fiercely defended Giger's Alien IP as their own, concept art for Ymgarls didn't much resemble the modern incarnation beyond "six limbs." Now, they fiercely defend Lovecraft's IP as their own with the plastic Cthulhu-headed "Ymgarls."
>>
File: 211.jpg (645 KB, 1141x1708) Image search: [Google]
211.jpg
645 KB, 1141x1708
>>46820003
https://twitter.com/adembskibowden/statuses/360531894951092224
>I can't wait to write the scene where the Tau send their very first ambassadors to Abaddon, to discuss the Greater Good.

>>46824714
>Its head is a simple tube full of slobbering tendrils and sharp inward-pointing teeth.
>Its head is a simple tube
>a simple tube
>tube
It's too late.

>>46815861
They were always called Genestealers, but originally originated from "one of the moons of Ymgarl". Even then, you can see the term "Ymgarl Genestealer" was in use, referring to the original/"pure" strain. Their reproduction was also somewhat different and certainly not a ripoff of anything else.

As the rest of the setting was fleshed out, i.e. massively and repeatedly retconned, still within 1st edition, so the Genestealers were too. White Dwarf changed Genestealer babymaking to be a bit less fatal, basically how it is now, and introduced the concept of Genestealer cults. Which then became Genestealer clans, because "Genestealer cult" was redefined to mean a cult - I mean, clan - whose Patriarch had pledged himself to Chaos (purely as a pragmatic decision, mind). The Ymgarl origin was removed: Genestealers were now stated to be "a race of aliens from another galaxy who seek to conquer the Imperium from within". Or their true origin and purpose were unknown, depending on which article you read, but either way they were extragalactic and big on breeding.

Then they were merged with Tyranids, and returned to having originated from the moons of Ymgarl, except this time it was an in-universe belief - a belief proved wrong when Hive Fleet Behemoth invaded and was seen using Genestealers as shock troops on Macragge. Genestealer cults lost their Chaos affiliation, though the now-Chaos-free cults were still willing to ally with Chaos forces, solely out of self-interest on both sides, since they were willing to use all the allies they could get (not very many).
>>
File: 61.jpg (564 KB, 1150x1618) Image search: [Google]
61.jpg
564 KB, 1150x1618
>>46827160
[cont.]

When the Genestealer plastic kit was redone in 4th edition, the feeder tendrils head (one of several alternate heads in the box) was included both to tie in with the Lictor and in reference to the original Rogue Trader Ymgarl Genestealer. The feeder tendrils biomorph was among the heap of options dropped in the 5E codex, but it did inspire the artwork of the new Ymgarl Genestealers (though if you compare the art to the regular tendril head they're actually far from identical), which were turned into weird on-the-spot body-morphers deliberately abandoned by the hive fleets that encounter them. Since 6th edition they no longer have rules either, except as a Bio-Artefact relic, but their fluff has remained in the form it took in 5th.

>>46826320
The proto-nids of the time were called Tyranids.
>>
>>46827160

...is that a rust beast?

Rogue Trader was a weird fucking game
>>
File: 210.jpg (579 KB, 1147x1704) Image search: [Google]
210.jpg
579 KB, 1147x1704
>>46827221
Gotta shift that lead.
>>
>>46814847
there was a short story, I think in Deathwing, that had a imperial assassin infiltrate a genestealer cult and she ended up just living with them forever....or was killed I can't remember
>>
>>46827380
I really like that cudbear; too many death world fauna are so over the top that you wonder why the Imperium doesn't just capture a bunch and toss them on a planet to kill everything.
>>
Anyone remember what difficulty FFG gave for curing a Genestealer infection? I think it was somewhere along the lines of "doable with a good medical suite and an experienced surgeon"
>>
>>46827217
>though if you compare the art to the regular tendril head they're actually far from identical
Yeah, that illustration looks amazing. The modeled head looks like a genestealer messily eating spaghetti
>>
File: Ouroboros_Stealers_04.jpg (58 KB, 394x600) Image search: [Google]
Ouroboros_Stealers_04.jpg
58 KB, 394x600
>>46831328
The dreaded Spaghettistealer.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.