[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mtg prices are too damn high
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 6
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 160x90) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 160x90
baby jace 80$
avacyn 50$
goyf 150$
liliana 115$
and the list goes on and on
jund costs more than 2000$ usd these days.
and when they can be reprinted, they aren't and if they are, they are rare shifted from UC>R R>M so that the prices don't change anyway.

Who do they expect is going to spend that sort of money?
What about the people still working at McDonalds that love the game, eventually it will simply become too expensive, and they will lose interest and quit.

Soon the game we all love will become a hobby for only those with the biggest wallets.

all of this because wizards has been protecting the investment fags.
Good thing they have a new president at wizards, then again, shifting management usually isn't a good sign to begin with.

Oh, and I haven't even fucking mentioned the fakes being printed that are slowly nearing perfection, or the amount of stealing that goes on, just so people can actually play, or the price gouging at LGS.

I'm not the only one bitching about prices either, just take a look at some of these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej34H1pabOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzrjdSbcmic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnh6DjQ4KMk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnG6yO1_seM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BParRYs-HPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edq9Kcww3CY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5VGd-W3OiE

There is a legitimate problem with this game.
>>
>>46813025
Eternal formats aren't for everyone.

Just go play limited twice a month.
>>
>>46813025
>being a Jundshitter

Sympathy levels 0%
>>
inb4 "lol poorfag just get a job"
>>
>>46813025
I wish legacy wasn't so fucking expensive. I just want more duals to kill with my wastelands and ports.
>>
>>46813025
>What about the people still working at McDonalds that love the game, eventually it will simply become too expensive, and they will lose interest and quit.

nothing of value is lost
>>
>>46813025
MTG is a trap
They print money, then later tell you what you paid for is illegal
This forces you to buy more of their printed money

Friends don't let friends play MTG
>>
>>46813025
why do you care?

it doesn't take a deck full of Avacyns or Tarmogoyfs to beat the autists you play every week at casual FNM
>>
>>46813929
my weekly FNM contains people who regularly cash at Opens and GPs, as well as at least one player that Top 8ed the most recent SCG Invitational.
>>
>>46814058
then find a game store that caters more to your level of ability
>>
>>46814058
sounds like you'll have more fun at a different store.
>>
>>46813672
Can't tell if you're a modern player or a yugioh player
>>
>>46813055
>Just go play limited twice a month.
Or build a cube.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 478x349) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 478x349
Just get better luck and buy packs.

>tfw half a dozen expositions were pulled building my first deck from a fatpac
>>
>>46813025
Maybe go outside instead?

Read a book? You can get them from the library for zero dollars.

Play chess or backgammon or a hex and chit war game?

You're complaining about a game built entirely around skinner box techniques, that's intentionally designed to bleed money out of people with few other social outlets.

It's like complaining about how you can't afford your beanie baby collection because they keep releasing new beanie babies.
>>
>>46814885
>expositions
>>
>>46814885
>half a dozen expositions from my fatpack.

U wot m8?
I am not sure what makes you sound more retarded, the fact that you call them expositions or that you honestly expect us to believe you got 6 in 9 packs.
>>
>>46813122
Cry harder Tronbabby
>>
>>46813025
The C in CTCG is cancerous to the competitive aspect.

Until they sell EVERY card direct to consumer at a realistic price (pennies), the collectors will ruin it for the competitors (that aren't billionaires).
>>
This is why I play miniatures games

Once you have the models for an army, you don't need to replace them every year
>>
I've never understood the reluctance to reprint cards. WotC is not making any money off the second-hand market, when they very well could be.
>>
>>46818781
there are multiple reasons. for one, most reprints are not interesting or exciting to most players. high profil reprints are the only ones people care about, and doing them routinely would make it so they aren't high profile anymore, they have to hold off somewhat to maintain interest in their own product. part of the reason is that they have settings, themes and asthetics for each block that wouldn't support willy-nilly reprinting. there could be tarmogoyfs on every plane in the multiverse, but if you think there should be, you've gotten your wallet so bothered it's interfering with your brain. thirdly, chronicles. chronicles was a set if reprints, right in the heels of their first printings and it caused an uproar. collectors hated it, it sold poorly and it's the reason we have the reserve list. they've seen what happens when they're too liberal with reprinting, and they'd rather wrestle the demon of the secondary market the hard way than risk flooding the game with reprints as the means of its own destruction.
>>
>>46813025
>baby jace
>$80
You got my hopes up but it's like $6.
>>
>>46820706
http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=1141701
nvm not 80$ hes 90$ on star jew games now.
>>
>>46816088
Somebody had to have a pull like that, and I'm willing to believe we live in a universe so shitty that it was this asshole. I mean, hell, I pulled 2 from a fat pack, in the only non-prerelease product I opened that set.

The pack was a gift, and I gave away the expeditions to the friend who bought it, because I am a fool.
>>
>calling Flip-Jace "Baby Jace" when there's already a Baby Jace
>>
I wish magic cards were cheaper too but if enough people are willing to spend $150 on a goyf to satisfy the people trying to sell a $150 goyf, then the price of a goyf simply is $150 and there's nothing you can do about it

There is no "should" for prices in a free market
>>
I'd love to be able to buy 100% real looking fakes if I could. I don't give a shit about the secondary market or the stupid prices.

Anyone know a place I can get tournament legal looking fakes?

Modern was made because legacy was too high, now they are near the same. Fuck em.
>>
>>46823034

I fully support the production and distribution of fakes

But you should be warned that they usually don't hold up under close attention so they'll only pass in fnms and such so long as you don't draw attention to them
>>
>>46823034
I buy proxies of cards that I feel are ridiculous in price, most of my deck is real, but I'm the only one playing it and I'm not selling them so whatever. Played in a GP when my deck was half proxies. No one knows or cares. They are in sleeves anyways.

Also there are few to no pro players that don't proxy or use fakes. If you don't think that it happens almost 99% of the time at tournys you guys are morons.
>>
Almost my entire dual land manabase is Chinese proxy. Had a couple judges look them over for me to make sure I didn't get "scammed" and it passed all tests.

Feels great man.
>>
File: 1450583535470.png (244 KB, 300x414) Image search: [Google]
1450583535470.png
244 KB, 300x414
>>46814648
Build a cube
Proxy the lands
Live the dream of best magic
>>
>>46821236

Probability of it happening is around 1 in 58,808,723,645 (Almost 59 billion).

For reference, the probability of winning the British National Lottery is a little better than 1 in 14 million.

So no, somebody didn't HAVE to have a pull like that.

Probability of pulling at least 2 in 1 fat pack is around 1 in 645 which isn't beyond the realms of believability . .
>>
>>46818516

>implying price is driven at all by the collector market beyond the restricted list
>>
>>46823271

Pros will use fakes when testing but they're not stupid enough to bring fakes to a tournament where thousands of dollars are on the line and they get penalised for having proxies. I pay attention to cards and keep an eye out for fakes when performing deckchecks and I know this is common practice.
>>
>>46823783
Tell that to the countless pros that do use fakes in tournys. It's 2016. Making 100% copies of stupid cardboard cards is literally the most insanely easy thing to get right.

You are a moron.
>>
>>46823783
Your eyes are shit. You can't tell the difference between a legit copy and the real thing. It's not possible as they are perfect copies.
>>
>>46823783
The funny thing is that proxies could be really good right now and you would never know, cause then they would be seen as the real deal.
>>
>>46824011
They are.
>>
>>46823783
>pros use high quality fakes that aren't distinguishable from real cars
>for practice only

hahaha
>>
>>46824782
>cars
>>
File: IMG_0643.jpg (983 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0643.jpg
983 KB, 1200x1600
When you see this card, you only know it's a fake because I tell you. With regular usage and in sleeves, you'd never know. Never. Stop kidding yourselves. Like I said earlier it's 2016. You think every scene in every city somehow has a playset of every fetch land???

At some point the ignorance has to stop. Yes I'm sure you feel annoyed dumping 1k into your deck, you don't have to defend yourself.
>>
Magic is only for the top 3% or so. Most people who weren't rich and played quit years ago. Thank Mark

I hope the guy gets MS. Magic is more expensive than enthusiast future proof PC gaming
>>
So play on Cockatrice
>>
>>46821133
>not knowing which Jace is baby jace
>>
>>46824956
Play on untap.in and you'll never get bored with magic ever again. Your competitive lust will be sated and you an enjoy some casual with friends.
>>
>>46824956
I want to play constructed in person for a realistic price. Nothing less
>>
>>46824950
Sad but true. Magic is reaching a bursting point. They are making a lot of money right now, but when anyone realizes for the price of Jund they could get a top of the line computer with 5 or 6 games brand new... VS 75 cards in a game where they can get banned from play or restricted... It's just idiocy. It's not even subjective, spending 2k on Jund is asinine for any mature adult, even if they have "jobs" they realize how important money is to not spend it on cards.
>>
>>46822710
>Actual Baby Jace slowly becomes a real phrase
>>
>>46824936
700$ standard decks convinced me to use counterfeits. Modern decks costing the price of a gaming pc is fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>46825194
>Spending money on one hobby is ok but on another is not

Holy shit, its been a long time since ive seen retardation reach this level.

If people want to spend x thousand dollars on something they find entertaining, why not let them? Not everyone has the same interrests as you.
>>
do none of you trade? I would think that 80% of expensive cards are acquired through trading. I traded something like.... 15 random cards to get the last few cards for my sideboard.
>>
>>46825524
>I am going to spend $X,000 on cardboard rectangles
>No, buying fake cardboard rectangle copies of those expensive cardboard rectangles for $100 is bad.
>>
>>46813025
Literally nothing stopping you from just playing kitchen table Magic with some friends and cheaper cards.
>>
>>46813025
>baby jace 80$
Proxy: $5
>avacyn 50$
Proxy: $5
>goyf 150$
4x proxy: $15
>liliana 115$
>Proxy: $5
>>
>>46820706
He means flippy Jace
>>
>>46825880
Goblin guide playset is 20 for perfect proxy.
>>
>>46825646
Nobody ever wants to trade the expensive shit, even if you have other expensive shit. I look through the trade binders at my LCS. No fetches, barely any Modern staples. Even if you do find them they don't want what you got most of the time.
>>
>>46822860
its more of a self imposed availability bottleneck, paper magic cards should be around the same value as MTGO cards.
>>
ITT: just buy fucking proxies

>you probably have them already :^)
>>
Where can I buy perfect proxies?
>>
>>46813025
Standard is pretty cheap now if you don't play blue/coco.
>>
>>46829560
None exist, but you can get sets with 50%-75% that can pass as real in sleeves. The "perfect" is just marketing and scare tactics, only a few of the proxies out there look exactly right and there are none I know of that feel right.

Still good enough to be worth it, most are $1-$2.50 a card so even a 50% usability rate is well worth it. Check dhGate and Alibaba.
>>
people have made proxies with the magic thing on the bottom too?
>>
>>46813025
Are they, really? Sure, it's ridiculous to spend $250 on one card, but it's for small rich people, almost like cars made of gold and shit like that.
Why don't you play with your friends or at the local store? There must be people there just like you, wanting to have fun, not wininning at all cost.
The expensive decks are expensive because people use them at tournaments to win money. There are so many more cards you could use.
>>
>>46818516
Yeah fuck cards, we need more Collectable Trading Games. I wanna swap beaver pelts damn it.
>>
Proxies are far from perfect, but you get decent enough ones often enough now, that you can pass off as real during normal play. Unless the card has some glaring issues, nobody is going to look at it that closely.

They are going to get better, though, because the counterfeiters only have to gain from improving. At a certain level of quality, we are going to reach a tipping point and the entire market is going to crash simply because you cannot be sure anymore if your cards are genuine.
That was the entire point of the glittering holo thingy at the bottom of the cards, to make it harder to forge them. Thing is, most value lies in older cards than that, so the older prints of the cards will go up in flames anyway.
>>
>>46825646
The /tg/ crowd seems to be mostly people who don't actually have cards. Trading/buying cheap is the most efficient way to get in, but that takes patience/any amount of money
>>
>>46831133
Nah, the problem is that most people (so, most fa/tg/uys) don't want to trade. They just sit on their cards and never give anything away fucking ever.
>>
>>46831133
>>46831165
Or you live in bumfuck nowhere were 90% of people are casual standard players. If I wanted Collected Company or Archangle Avacyn, I could have a dozen of both by the end of the day.

If I want Stony Silence or Relic of Progenitas, I might as well go dig a hole.
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 400x477) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 400x477
>Tfw foil goyf is 500.
>damaged
>>
>>46813025
>competitive formats are the only formats that matter

Why is this idea so prevalent on /tg/, especially among Modern players? So long as casual drafters and Standard players exist people will keep on opening packs, which is all Wizards cares about. It doesn't matter if your decks become worth $1,000 or $10,000, Magic is not going to die just because you personally have a problem getting money for something you don't even have to play. You don't NEED the Tier 0 deck of the season just to play the game.
>>
>>46824782

Where did I say the proxies they used were high quality? They print off the card on printer paper and stick it in a sleeve with a basic forest or some shit.
>>
>>46831426
Consider the following: There is only a single LGS hosting sanctioned events with prize pools in the only major city of my country. That means every single hyper-competetive shitter from my country gathers there.
If you want to win or even only want to have fun, it is not possible to compete unless you go balls to the wall with your deck.
>>
>>46829125
>Nobody ever wants to trade the expensive shit

Do you trade anywhere other than FNM? People trade expensive stuff all the fucking time, your problem is either a shitty local meta or a shitty trades folder. Probably both.
>>
My infect deck have around 50% proxy (4 conflux hierarch, 2 inkmoths and 3 spellskites).

I had the inkmoth playset but decided to sell 2 of them when they spiked at 40$ each believing it would flop. Biggest mistake of my life.
>>
>>46832038

Where did you buy your proxies? How acccurate are they comparing to the original?
>>
In 10 years, if people are still playing magic, there will be so few people playing vintage that they will have to reprint Power 9s.
>>
>>46832059
Hierarch are pretty good looking from a sleve. Only problem I found was the Conflyx symbol gold color looks pretty clear if you look close enough.
Inkmoths problem is the lower border and the Land font looks like it has a shadow.
Spellskites looks okish, same problem like inkmoths but in the name's artist.
As long as you dont play it in high level tournaments like a GP or even in a qualifier, you will be fine.

Bought it from aalibaaba
>>
>>46832169
Wizards couldn't give any less shits about Vintage
>>
>>46832311

As an older player who sold his Moxen when they were at a crazy price of around ~300ea, I do feel a bit slighted that unless I give up a years worth of mortgage payments, its unrealistic for me to get back into Vintage.
>>
Damn, I've been playing magic since first ravnica. Never thought some cards I got from trading and buying cheap like bob or tarmogoyf would cost a lot later years. Left in Alara and came back in innistrad.
With things going like this, I ask myself if I should sell my jund deck and card pool aand leave this game for good.
>>
the problem with all you retards is that everyone wants the exact same cube
>>
>>46824936
>When you see this card, you only know it's a fake because I tell you
You sure? Doesn't look fake to me. I can't see a rosetta pattern in the letters or the border. Can you post a pic using a jeweler's loupe to show the rosetta patterns more clearly?
>>
>>46824936
there's not enough space between the period after LLC and 223

disqualified
>>
>>46833774
in fact, I don't even think there should be a period. none of the scans I'm seeing have them.
>>
>>46832497
Leave the game and give me your cards plz, I will make good use from them.
>>
>>46824936
Why the fuck are the comma before and the period after LLC there? Neither are on the real thing.
>>
>>46818925
> tarmogoyf was originally a rare
>got bumped to mythic when it was reprinted in 10 dollar packs
>there is literally no reason it should be a mythic other then wotc being a bunch of kikes
>>
>>46835738
It's powerlevel
The reason its because of tarmos powerlevel. Same with Vendilion and bob
>>
>>46835738
>>46835982
Mythic rarity shouldn't exist desu.
>>
>>46836191
But we need to protect Limited, goym!
>>
>>46813025

I don't know where the fuck you people buy your cards, but in MCM Jace is around 55, avacyn 28, goyf 115 and liliana around 80 yuros. Expensive, sure, but not as expensive as you say. Don't non-europeans have anything resembling MCM?
>>
File: goldnightfuckingcastigator.jpg (48 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
goldnightfuckingcastigator.jpg
48 KB, 265x370
>>46836191
>>
>>46836535
>Goyf is 115 bucks

What the fucking fuck fuck. That would have been ludicrious in LEGACY seven years ago.
>>
>>46836535
We got places like tcgplayer, but nothing exactly like MCM where it is individuals selling directly. There's pucatrade, but that is more trading instead of direct buying. Most places to buy are actual stores. Might have something to do with demand; MtG is very much an American game.
>>
>>46821236
The exact combination of every fatpack is some extremely high number, and they happen every single day.

Just because baby spent his allowance on a fatpack and didn't get this lucky doesn't mean you should call him a liar
>>
>>46835738
>why do businesses want to make money
>>
>>46818925
>Let's go back to zendikar with eldrazi!
>Don't reprint goblin guides
>Don't reprint Inquisition of Kozilek

>Let's go back to Innistrad
>Don't reprint snapcaster
>Don't reprint Liliana

??
>>
>>46818925
Wasn't the problem with Chronicles that it had NO reprints and was pretty much a shit set all around? Also, the situation twenty years ago doesn't compare with now in any way.
>>
>>46838871
Snapcaster at least has the excuse of them not doing flashback this time around.
Gonna be real bummed out if EM doesn't give us Liliana of the Veil. I already know I'm going to be disappointed, though. They're too scared to put something like that in Standard.
>>
>>46831523
>Wah I can't compete at car races without a racing car
Find a different hobby.
>>
Black core cardstock proxies are really the way to go for local tournaments. Double sleeved, with a matte outer sleeve, and nobody can tell the difference when it's upside down and across the table.

Just make sure you don't come into your LGS with a brand spanking new deck composed of expensive as fuck cards you've never talked about acquiring or trading for. Unless you're one of those finance bros who still comes to play after work—then it's believable.

I also make sure the legacy cards are shuffled a bunch of times: who's really going to put out for a mint condition beta volcanic island? There's no need to be playing with that.
>>
>>46825880
Good luck getting passable Avacyn fakes. Dual faced with a hologram...don't think they can do that yet.
>>
I'm more in upset at power creep between editions
>>
>>46832169
I honestly believe Wizards wants to kill paper Legacy and Vintage and move them online only. The reserve list only helps confirm that belief. And the fact I can buy a decent number of legacy decks online for less than standard decks.
>>
>>46825524
It's not "This hobby is okay, this hobby is not". A game console and one game that runs me about 440 dollars (assuming I buy second-hand. Singles are second-hand usually, so this is a fair assumption) gets me a lot more game out of it than the same amount put towards competitively playing magic. To use the most expensive example in OP, 440 is a little less than 1/4th of the Jund deck. So either 1 whole game (And technically the ~400 dollars of that second-hand PS4 are diffused over every game I ever buy for that PS4) or 1/4th of a game (technically 1/8th, but we're going to ignore that the other person needs their own deck as well)
>>
what else do you expect from a TCG ?

LCG master race.
>>
>>46836663
Point?
>>
Guys I did it, I sold my jund deck and got around 2000$ (no fetchlands included).

The only stuff left is the pieces for banned Splinter Twin. (Fetch, remands, snappy, bolt, etc).

I'll just sell them too. I mean i'm not playing mtg anymore nd I dont care about keeping my cards to sell them in some years cause I have a good job earning enough to live decently.
>>
>>46841083

>good job
>live decently

Pick one you filthy pleb.

Also who in the fucking world would sell expensive and raare cards?
Yeah fuck off and go back to your boring life
>>
>>46840311
I wonder why, though. Really.
It can't be because they don't want to balance for it, because they don't do any playtesting for Modern either.
If it's because they can't support it because of the Reserved list... then that's just dumb, because the only one upholding it is WotC themselves. When even SCG of all places calls for it to fall, you know it's doing more harm than good.
>>
>>46841140
If he doesn't want to play competetive Magic anymore, why shouldn't he sell that shit? If he actually has a good job, he can just rebuy a new deck five or ten years down the line.
>>
>>46818516
This is why I play fixed deck games.
>>
>>46839316
With madness in SOI, she's crazy. You know they won't do it.
>>
>>46818516
Actually, I think this wouldn't be a bad strategy for a CCG company.

Sell sealed product as usual.
Make every card orderable through your website at 5$ a pop. Emphasize the value of sealed product to vendors, while keeping the game accessible and secondary prices in check.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.