[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plight of the poorfag.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: hobo2_edit.jpg (26 KB, 425x320) Image search: [Google]
hobo2_edit.jpg
26 KB, 425x320
What's a new/poorfag to do /tg/? Warhammer looks hella cool, but GW looks just as jewish. MTG seems affordable enough. One off board games are a little pricey but that could just be me.
I checked 40K General's OP figuring it would have a pastebin with Hot Pro Tips on how to counter GW's nickle and dimeing but the only thing they had was an official FAQ link. Which could obviously tell me to purchase a 65 dollar Canadian box of unassembled unpainted plastic giblets. So I assume 40K fans just take the dicking?
What's a new/poorfag to do?
>>
>>46807977
Ebay is your friend. I found a pretty sweet Night Lords army on the (relative) cheap.
>>
>MTG seems affordable enough
MTG is dominated by a secondhand market that is just as Jewish as GW.
>>
>>46808096
I'm pretty casual with CCGs though. I just buy packs and make decks. I used to be big into Pokemon but the powercreep got ridiculous.
>>
Play table top rpgs. Magic is a never ending money suck and war-hammer has a massive payment up front. its relatively cheap and easy to start, and its very social.
>>
>>46807977
Print and paste on cardboard. Cut out and base. Play. Done.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>46807977

just play board games or android netrunner
>>
>>46807977
>>46808096
>>46808526
>>46808650
Casual MTG is affordable enough
Also best format
>>
MTG is totally affordable as long as you don't get into being super competitive.

For example, there's a format, Pauper, where you're limited to making a deck with only common-rarity cards. You can make most decks for around 20 bucks.
>>
>>46807977
What parts of tabletop gaming interest you, OP? If it's the game itself, there are several solid rulesets for free online, and scans of most that are not free? If it's the painting, then you can start with craft paints, and painting is a respected art form in the western world. Is it the modelling? If so, there are model kits and multi pose boxes from a variety of manufacturers covering from historical to far future. Is it because you think it looks cool or you want to play what your friends are playing? Then Ebay, Barter town and local sales are your best bet.
>>
>>46807977
cheh out 40 killteam both the gw and the HoR variety

its 40k with a handful of minis
>>
File: Kill Team Rules v3.1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Kill Team Rules v3.1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46810832
HoR Kill Team is really fun, it's what we do. The good part is that it doesn't take as much space, necessarily, either. Here, have a PDF
>>
>>46807977
Tabletop RPGs potentially have nearly endless novelty if you keep refreshing the subject matter, switching up who GMs occasionally, and perhaps get access to a bit of new blood in you gaming group every handful of years
Free TTRPGs are available, although as your "rite of passage" you'll probably want to try something like D&D, which you can find a free "basic version" pdf of online.
I don't personally like D&D too much, but people are different.
I personally suggest taking something simple, maybe even RISUS (although it's geared toward short and simple adventures) and just adding some rules to it yourself over time to make things interesting.

MtG is pay-to-win and cycles out cards so you can't use them in normal tournaments after a relatively short time.
A decent deck is hundreds of dollars if you're lucky.

Warhammer forces you to buy new models due to introduction of new shit and intentionally making the power fluctuate with "balancing changes". Something new is going to get crazy stats, and something you used to rely on is going to get nerfed to shit, or taken out of the game completely. That way, if you want to win at Warhammer you'll have to keep buying new stuff.
I'm assuming 40k, because in AoS whoever has the bigger army just wins since they removed balancing from the game. I'll assume you understand how stupid that is.
>>
>>46807977
Pirate RPG books and play those.
Alternatively, and this probably requires you to have friends, get some wargames that you can play with generic models (hella cheaper than GW shit) and play those.
>>
>>46807977
AHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.