[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blades in the Dark
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10
File: Blades in the dark.jpg (13 KB, 400x159) Image search: [Google]
Blades in the dark.jpg
13 KB, 400x159
Has anyone tried pic related? The concept sounds cool, running some shady thieves guild sort of gang deal. I was thinking of buying the .pdf but I wanted to hear your opinion of it first.
>>
>>46792377
I looked at it in passing, but my groups gone off playing RPGs
>>
File: thief.jpg (50 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
thief.jpg
50 KB, 620x350
>>46792833
I'm sorry to hear that. No impression of it?
>>
>>46792841
nothing worth noting. looked kind of nifty....
>>
File: blades in the dark.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
blades in the dark.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46792377
have the quickstart
>>
>>46793069
Thanks famalamadingdong
>>
>>46793069
>The port of Duskwall, like every city-stronghold of the Imperium, is encircled by crackling lightning-towers which create an electrical barrier that spirits cannot pass. By law, all corpses are incinerated with electroplasm (to destroy the spirit essence within). However, wealthy citizens, heretics of the spirit cults, and the criminal element often arrange for a spirit to escape destruction at the crematorium. Rogue spirits and the illegal spirit essences derived from them are rich trade for the black market.

That's pretty damn cool.

I bet someone will adapt this to Dark Souls in 15 minutes.
>>
>>46793523
nah, there are better systems for that.
>>
>>46793523
Apparently, there's gonna be (or are already?) alternate settings planned for the game, from what I've read. Duskwall seems cool enough though with that Dishonored/Thief feel to it. Which isn't strange since they namedrop them as inspirations in the quickstart.
>>
File: Blades in the dark v6.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Blades in the dark v6.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46793069
>>46793168
that's out dated. here is the last version
>>
>>46793811
Wow. Almost double the pages. Thanks.
>>
So has anyone actually tried it?
>>
>>46793811
It looks kind of unnecessarily complex and gimicky at places. But I might be just spoiled and biased towards other systems. Or not used to stuff like that.
>>46793952
Not me.
>>
>>46794102

It's actually very simple and fluid.

>>46792377

Played a few sessions of it, seemed really cool and I can't wait to play more.
>>
>>46793952
>>46794102
I haven't tried it yet. I guess it is a big change for someone who is used to play mechanic-first games like D&D. Everything seems handwavy.
>>
>>46794132
I don't suppose you've got any storytime (big or small) to share?
>>
>>46794182
Yes. This is it exactly. I started with AD&D back in the day, then got into GURPS and Vt:M. Now I just read systems and only play Warhammer FRP once in a while. I'm old.
>>
I'm having difficulties downloading this PDF, could someone megupload or 4share it?
>>
>>46794712
You mean this >>46793811 one?
>>
>>46794728
yes that, or the core book if you have it.

but the quick starts what I wnat...
>>
>>46794255

Not much of a storytime about the game, more a generic "That Guy" story. Don't remember the names of all the "classes" so I refer to them by more generic terms.

>Group is a ragtag bunch coming back to Duskwall, returning to their old haunts to face their past:
>Me, a orphan ganger now grown up whose siblings were murdered by a rival gang. Group leader, "face."
>A PTSD smuggler/rifleman. Our hunter.
>An insane clockwork-obsessed alchemist, Whisper, I guess? Tinkerer.
>An ex-whaler who hears the song of the whales, was shipwrecked, possessed by a ghost and a demon and almost lobotomized. Good-natured and kind but nervous and fugly.
>Our Cutter and That Guy, a psycho killer who is following my guy around because he's like a retarded dog and I'm his owner.
>And finally, an old, angry lady who is our mastermind and tactician. Spider if I remember quickly.

>Group is trying to get started and conquer some territory, this has us shaking down a local shopkeeper to make him work for us and reveal us information about the other local gangs.
>The people from the other gang show up
>Situation gets tense naturally, but still civilized
>One of the other gang's goons shoves my character
>That Guy takes this as a cause to start beating up people with a fucking sledgehammer
>All hell breaks loose in the tiny shop
>Our rifleman who was perched outside gets spooked and fires at one of the goons that are still outside, kills one, injures another who crawls behind some cover
>That Guy then rushes out to the crowded street where the injured goon is hiding and says one of those things that render the whole table instantly silent:

"It say my character has dynamite."
>>
>>46795028
Oh lord.

How did combat feel? I haven't had time to read all of the quickstart.
>>
>>46795123

You basically roll, and most of the time someone gets fucked up real quick, real bad. Most of the time you want to have nothing to do with a violent approach unless you have the element of surprise.

Unless you're a Cutter, who are really good at killing stuff, or you have an insane luck with the dice.

TLDR; I like it because it's simple, gritty and bloody, and can end in character death very easily if you just take the murderhobo approach. There are also plenty of things you just can't fight.
>>
>>46795655
Would you say a gang centered around just being thugs and robbing people be effective? Or does it favour the sneaky Garrett type of criminals?
>>
>>46795715
It depends on how you do it but sure. Actually the Breakers crew type is that. Killing however has some serious implications since it increse heat and the ghosts of the victims can haunt you after.
>>
>>46795028
So what happened next?
>>
>>46795715
>>46795824

Our group were breakers, I think, but we played more like 1920's era mobsters. We did smuggling, racketeering and collected protection money.

We were actually more "good" than most Blades groups probably, since our prime goal was to restore the run-down area of our youth, make life better for the common people and to kill the ghosts of our pasts. While we were definitely an evil, murderous bunch, we had noble goals we pursued the only way we knew how.

So basically, we avoided killing when we could.. although I have two more stories about That Guy I can relate if you want:

>Demon Summoning 101
>Orphanage Hulk-Out
>>
>>46795920
>if you want

This is /tg/, we always want
>>
>>46795920
Why not both?
>>
>>46795911

Fortunately, we managed to dissuade him from throwing the stick of dynamite after a lengthy discussion. He did throw some choking powder and then almost got himself shot by the injured goon. Unfortunately, only almost.

>>46795996
>>46796028

As you wish. I will tell these in chronological order:

ORPHANAGE HULK-OUT

>Group is infiltrating an old abbey/orphanage/hospital that is now the base for the other gang from the first story.
>Just scouting and trying to steal some of the whale oil they are smuggling for our alchemist
>They also have the daughter of the shopkeeper from the first story, who we want to save in order to get his loyalty
>Come in by a boat, sneak in from the waterfront entrance into some kind of a cell block (maybe actual rooms once?)
>Sneaking really well, all dark, suddenly hear footsteps ahead
>That Guy decides his character is bored of sneaking, shotguns a Rage Vial (exactly what it sounds like) and goes to town on the source of the footsteps, who turns out to be an old female caretaker of the abbey
>Literally tears him limb from limb with axe and hand
>Starts howling, running around the place, alerting everyone, tearing the place apart
>All attempt at stealth is blown
>Unfortunately for us, the other gang were Occultists and they summon a spirit they order to geld us.
>Spirit spooks one of us to half-death
>Our crazy whaler manages to pull off a desperate action to prevent the spirit from bending us over and fucking us in the ass with a hot iron rod
>My character is running in the abbey cellar, hiding from the howl-mad Cutter, finds the daughter in one of the empty wine barrels, grabs her, covers her eyes and sneaks out like I was playing fucking Amnesia: the Dark Descent, trying to avoid the insane Cutter who is now a blood-soaked monster
>Everybody gets out, unfortunately Cutter does as well and gives us a shit-ton of heat.
>>
It's basically Dishonored RPG, but they didn't want to try and get the license so their setting is a shitty knockoff that just replaces a few names. Look, Thief and Dishonored are both badass games conceptually and in terms of setting and lore. Just bite the bullet and either acquire the license or be a fucking rebel and use it without permission.
>>
>>46796239
>>46795996
>>46796028

And now, DEMON SUMMONING 101

>We're back at our hideout, spending some downtime
>We need to get inside a local crematorium because reasons, but it's heavily guarded so we're still on the fence about it
>That Guy gets the idea that he should summon a ghost because that would somehow help (???), my character sees him doing this and tells him to stop this stupid shit and never do it again.
>My character is brooding and moody, goes to visit his childhood crush, finds out that instead of becoming a singer like she wanted, she's a whore and is being fucked by the fat fuck of a guy who basically was responsible for killing my character's siblings and friends. Also kills a man and gets some heat, so naturally he's mad as fuck when he comes back.
>While he was gone, That Guy went into the cellar, started cutting himself, made a bloody circle, gathered all the weapons in the place there, stripped naked, furiously masturbated, cut himself some more, 'cause "he only told me not to summon a ghost lol"
>Old Lady and Alchemist only ones at the house right now
>Go to find That Guy because they need him for something
>Find him in the cellar, horrified, try to stop it
>That Guy decided that the demon (who wasn't yet even mentioned by the GM) tells him to kill them both
>Attacks them, fight ensues
>Our ex-whaler gets there, whacks That Guy in the end with a crowbar. Multiple times.
>My character comes back, finds That Guy tied up and bloody, rest of them explain the situation to him
>Pissed as fuck, tell our hunter IC to take That Guy behind the house and shoot him and then to drop his body near the Crematorium.
>Others disagree, don't want to kill a party member OOC.
>Agree we can't let him free anymore though.
>Compromise on giving him to a mental clinic to be lobotomized/experimented on for pocket change.
>I agree with this solution

And that was the end of That Guy's Cutter.
>>
>>46796516
Did he continue playing? Or did he quit the group?
>>
>>46796599

Unfortunately, he's friends with one of the other players who is a cool guy, and the DM and the other players won't kick him. I've spoken with them multiple times that he is shitting up the group, since all his character last two sessions, max, before they suicide/murder-suicide or attack party members or in some other way cause serious harm to the party.
>>
>>46796419
Are you dense?
>>
>>46796419
>Just bite the bullet and either acquire the license or be a fucking rebel and use it without permission.

Before the KS flooded him with money, I doubt Harper could afford that and "being a rebel," in this circumstance, would just result in a C&D with a possible lawsuit.
>>
>>46796662
It's just a matter of time until you get fed up with him and leave the group yourself. I'd start looking for another group if I were you.
>>
>>46792377
Yes. It's actually quite good. The only thing I would probably change is how slow advancement is.
I would change the number of advances needed to kick a skill up to the number of dots you already have in that group, capped at the maximum number. So making it easier to diversify. Because there really isn't any incentive to do so now.
>>
>>46796419
>Just bite the bullet and either acquire the license or be a fucking rebel and use it without permission.
You sound like you're in high school, or are kind of a dummy. I hope it's high school, because time can fix one of those.
>>
>>46792377
I actually bought the PDF after years of downloading everything in sight. Frankly, even incomplete it's a better RPG than most of the shit that's out there.
>>
File: rasmus v6.png (375 KB, 1210x923) Image search: [Google]
rasmus v6.png
375 KB, 1210x923
My group has been playing it for about a year now, shortly after the KS finished. We've been enjoying it.
>>
Also, have the first stretch goal official hack for the game to surface. "Blades Against Darkness" turning it from criminals to treasure hunters/tomb robbers.

Vaguely Dark Souls/Darkest Dungeon flavored. Still rather raw and unrefined.

>UNLOCKED ($60,000): Blades Against Darkness. Get your dungeon-crawling fix with this total reskin and new playset for the game! You are a tomb robber — desperate for coin, driven by a thirst for knowledge, on a quest for your inscrutable deity, or, perhaps, just crazy. One way or another, you’ll take almost any job that comes your way. The Gods know there is plenty of bloody work to be had in the dark passageways below the earth. Damn little is honorable. Most all of it will get you killed. But you just might make it out alive... and rich. By Dylan Green.
>>
>>46804330

> REmove skovlan
>>
>>46795655

This sounds relevant to my interests.
>>
>>46800909

I have two other groups, so I'm pretty set.
>>
File: Somewhat Pertubing.png (186 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Somewhat Pertubing.png
186 KB, 600x450
>>46804413
Neat.
>>
File: bloodbrew.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
bloodbrew.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I HAVE A QUESTION TO THEM AS PLAYED THIS SYSTEM.

do you think it could handle my homebrew setting?

>document
>tl;dr
it's heavily inspired by bloodborne, filling the gaps in with Lovecrafts eldritch horrors and some more typical fantasy monsters like warewolves and strigoi
>>
>>46812137
and now, having finally gotten back to reading Lovecraft and finishing "Herbert West, Reanimator" I feel like I should include an encounter themed or inspired off of it...
>>
>>46812657
The decapitated officer with the wax head is a pretty iconic image, I'd probably do something with that.
>>
File: 1350518598108.jpg (64 KB, 1000x830) Image search: [Google]
1350518598108.jpg
64 KB, 1000x830
>>46812696
the words "corpse legion" also struck me strongly

I perhaps should ask, to those who know the system.

how well do you think this could run something set in the Cthulhu mythos?
>>
>>46812763
I feel like it would probably handle mythos themes and creatures pretty well by substituting them into the system in place of ghosts and demons, but I don't think it would do the standard mythos 1920s era very well.
>>
File: 1274751168843.jpg (16 KB, 409x233) Image search: [Google]
1274751168843.jpg
16 KB, 409x233
>>46813195
thats okay, my setting is more in tune with Bloodborne in that respect, Romanesque and gothic architecture, swords and bows as common as pistols or rifles.

how does the game handle crossbows?
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.