[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good call sign for an Imp Guard mechanized regiment,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 1428298258425.jpg (208 KB, 600x429) Image search: [Google]
1428298258425.jpg
208 KB, 600x429
What's a good call sign for an Imp Guard mechanized regiment, /tg/? Not the name of the unit, like the Vendorband Fifth or whatever, but a simple call sign that could be said easily over the radio.

My Only War players are going to be relying heavily on armor support for the next leg of the campaign, and I'm looking for kickass call signs at the regimental, battalion and battery level.
>>
>>46791668

Play up the cavalry image maybe? Cataphract xy, paladin xy, cavalier xy, or lancer xy perhaps.
>>
>>46791668
Well depending on the strategy used, they could be any thing. A pincer move may have their unit's callsign as "Hammer" and anvil, or if it's an ambush it could be "lurker", "overwatch", etc. If it's for like a straight charge, the names could be something like "Lancer", or for fire support the names could be "Longbow", or "Heavy Rain".
>>
Wouldn't you use callsigns for individual armored companies, not the whole regiment?

Still, pettiness aside, try "the Emperor's Fist" or "Drumluggers." The latter referring to the metal of an oil drum and how the barrels of the tanks are going to tear apart the enemy.
>>
Slightly unrelated, but for radio terminology, telling the regiment to go Krieg gardening would be neat.

(better landscape those trenches to perfection before your commanding officer shows up!)
>>
>>46794053
>sowing seeds = laying traps
>granary = HQ
>harvest = large amounts of casualties
>>
>>46791668
Callsigns need to be distinct to limit radio confusion

Ideally, they should also be nonindicative of the true purpose of the unit or task
>>
>>46791668

Grox Lead, Grox 1, Grox 2, etc.
>>
>>46794432
This.
Most RL callsigns tend to be distinctly not awesome as a result, because their production process went like "close eyes, open dictionnary, put finger on a random word", so the enemy cannot guess what they mean.
Most counterexamples come from officers with an inflated ego, or grunt nicknames that went viral.
Example of the latter : The italian Carro L3 was officially nicknamed Arrigoni (tomato soup manufacturer) on italian radio messages, because of its "incredible" armor.

If you want something to simulate that with 40k vocabulary :
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Special:Random
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Random
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Special:Random

Results not guaranteed.
>>
>>46794665
One example in 40k fiction that I can think of is Dead Man's Hand - the name of five Sentinel drivers who act as scouts for a Cadian regiment in Cadian Blood. It's the name of a card hand that their commander always loses to when gambling, and gives no indication of their role as a scout or support unit.
>>
>>46794665
>people always thought lone wolf was cool
>we used that for guys likely out on their own and seven degrees of fucked
>>
>>46795149
two aces and two nines, that hand is, actually.
>>
OP here.

A lot of the units I've worked with tend to have call signs that lean towards the self serving. My old arty unit was named Renegade on the radios, the infantry battalion was Iron Man, the tankers supporting us were Nightmare, and so on.

The idea for my players is that they are already a lean, mean, nid chomping machine with practically no equipment going up against unfathomable odds. The mechanized regiment on the other hand is completely green, and has almost no idea how to work most of their machines, much less how to use them effectively. They'll be fighting with them as much as with the nids.
>>
File: military-communication[1].jpg (23 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
military-communication[1].jpg
23 KB, 300x279
>>46797264
>fighting nids

Well then, you have a few options if you want to play up the joke. For example:

>Orkin
>Sulaco
>Flyswatter
>Pest Patrol

Or you can have them be complete treadheads:

>Nitro
>Octane
>Big Wheel
>Road Warrior

Callsigns are self-assigned, so you want the regiment to be grossly over-inflating their competence, either in general or against the enemy for the campaign.

Bonus points if you can nudge the players towards a callsign that has a mocking synonym which can't be discerned over vox conversations.

>Renegade one, this is Orkin two. We have you on visual.
>Roger, Porkin two, Renegade one. Reading you to our-
>What was that?
>Return, Porkin two, this is Renegade one. Do you have vox problems?
>Uhh...no, Renegade. Send orders.
>>
>>46797264
>Lunchboxes
Metal boxes rolling around that are little more than food for nids.
>The Cavalry
>Captain Reserve
A play on 'kept in reserve' - both self-serving, in that they would be kept until the last moment, and an insult as they might intentionally be held back.
>Treaddeads
>Bugbiters
>>
I like to go to wikipedia, choose a random mythology, choose a random article, and bastardize the spelling. I've also done it by going to a random article and choosing the first noun in the article. That second one turns out pretty weird, though, and players tend to be unsatisfied with it.
>>
>>46791668
Just have the callsigns of individuals be weird random bullshit like truckers use. Chesspieceface, big Duluth, rabid child, etc.

Man I hope somebody gets this reference.
>>
File: EoT.jpg (57 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
EoT.jpg
57 KB, 250x250
>>46795443

The "dead man's hand" is named after the legendary Wyatt Earp, murdered at a poker table while holding two pair: aces and eights - traditionally, all black suited.

The more you know ...
>>
File: AAA.jpg (994 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
AAA.jpg
994 KB, 1920x1080
>>46791668
>guard mech

Calls would be dependent upon the regiment, but generic examples might include something like Progenium Actual [for HQ], which could monitor several battle groups:

Scion Able [Baker, Charlie, etc]
Aquila One [2, 'tree', etc]
Deltic Alpha [Beta, Gamma, etc]
Pius Xray [Yankee Zulu, etc]

Basically, choose a regionally-relatable sign and language-appropriate numerators.

Good luck.
>>
>>46797808
based off of lunch box try Lima Bravo one
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.