[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do the other people at the table "get" your characters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8
File: 1460481178007.png (820 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1460481178007.png
820 KB, 1280x720
Do the other people at the table "get" your characters?
>>
>>46777263
No, they see the disguise, not what's underneath. And that's okay.
>>
Nobody in my party gets me!

Ugh! Omg mum, this is just... like... who I really am!'

I'm going to my room!
>>
>plays a ng cleric who just wants the world to be less dangerous for the common man
>is viewed as a nice mace-wielding priest with a bunch of holy glow effects who rarely gets upset

Yeah it pretty much adds up.
>>
If nobody at the table gets to see what's on the 'inside' of your character, it's the same as there not being anything.
>>
File: hideki kamiya glasses incident.jpg (253 KB, 588x2767) Image search: [Google]
hideki kamiya glasses incident.jpg
253 KB, 588x2767
>>
>>46777325
What this guy said.People only see the most basic elements of my characters and draw their own conclusions.

My rogue was LG, very concerned with fairness and justice. Never stole a single coin from the party, always spoke very politely, refused to lie to friends or benefactors.

But to the party, he's just the rogue. He's a sneaky dishonest guy that steals everything that isn't nailed down.
>>
>>46777263
No, because they don't get subtlety at all, and whenever she let's the disguise slip the just think I made a mistake, or something.
>>
>>46777263
For some reason, people don't get my characters, whether they be Lawful Good northmen from a different society with different laws, or Nazi Ted Bundy with fire powers claiming to be lawful evil but doing a lot of non-lawful things. I'm just doing what my character would do, guys!
>>
No, because I have a skill and power set that's designed for investigation instead of combat so I'm labeled as 'batman'
>>
My paladin, who is a happy smiley bro-tier little adorable bundle of optimism and justice, just found out the dad he's been searching for for the past year or so is a cruel, despicable executioner who kills people because they annoy him.

The rest of the group has all come to the conclusion he's gonna be emotionally tormented and captain the S.S. Daddy Issues from here on out.

Nope. Doesn't give a shit. Far as he's concerned, Killy McMurder didn't raise him and thus doesn't count as "Dad." Of course, try to explain that and they all think he's putting on a facade to stay positive.
>>
>>46777865
Oh and finding handjob propositions distasteful apparently enforced that.
God forbid my PCs a closet homo
>>
>>46777992
Don't you know, anon? Being gay is a character archetype, not a mere trait! You can't be both gay AND an interesting person!
>>
>>46777899
Interesting. Even if he is not your character's dad, how will you deal with him? Will you be dragged along by the group to deal with it or confront him on by your own choice? Will you try to change his ways? Will you smite him for great justice? Or ignore him and move on to other things?
>>
>>46777263
Considering my character's deep dark secret is that he used to be a supervillain and none of them know his real name, probably not. Also I don't know if they even know his fake name for that matter, it's come up but idk if they remember it
>>
>>46778097
Said paladin follows a god of LAW, so he doesn't really have much of a choice except to let the dude get away with his shit since, well, he is the royal headsman. Political immunity granted by a literal god-king is kind of a bitch.

If said headsman breaks the law, however, his arse is getting buried. And nowhere does it say in his code that he has to stop the party from goading the headsman into an aggravated assault.
>>
File: tumblr_mmlp01bjxB1qzdpr4o1_500.gif (940 KB, 500x287) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mmlp01bjxB1qzdpr4o1_500.gif
940 KB, 500x287
Nope.

Picture related.
>so you're French Mulan?
>you're a lesbian?
>you're a turbo-feminist?
>>
>>46777325
>>46777700
>>46777712

This, all of fucking this.
My group treat my character like he never did nothing right, having formed their interpretations of him from shit so random, it makes me want to strangle them.

For the record, my character managed through some really risky deals and calling favors to become the richest motherfucker in the party. If he wasn't deathly afraid that these guys would eat their own fingers unsupervised (thought may be unfounded) he'd just trap them in a building, set it on fire and retire on an island gulping down margaritas. Also, I have provided our only non-illegal job that didn't involve murder.

But no. Apparently, my character is an uncharismatic drunkard criminal that can't keep it in his pants. Because of one incident that involved alcohol, women and crying, because his life got obliterated about an hour before, that's what they get from me. I don't even know where the "criminal" angle comes from. Especially ballsy from the same shits that are so into bloodspilling, they might as well become vampires.
>>
>>46778764

One thing I've noticed in Rpg groups is that killing is just not a blip on their radar. Yeah, we just accepted a job to go and murder several sentient beings in exchange for gold, but that mean thing you said to someone that one time makes you the bad guy.

I think I managed to turn that dynamic by introducing a newbie adventurer who wasn't a stick in the mud but at least realized the value of life even if we're paid to kill them.
>>
My character's backgrounds and motivations are simple and straightforward, so my fellow party members (who all have complex backstories and secrets and hidden motivations) routinely attribute my decisions to secrets they don't know yet, or completely misinterpret my character's personalities.

The best part is that when I tell them "My character is just trying to complete his mission, the objectives of which I have explained in detail, I'm basically just some fucking guy" they think it's a misdirection.
>>
Former group and no.

The best part is that while I explained to them that because my class reads "Scum" it doesn't mean that I am a thief and extortionist, because through a careful build, I made myself a law enforcer.
No, that's it. I am lowlife scum, they get to throw insults slightly more generic than npcs in a JRPG and bully me because of my "social status." Because cops are so not respected, apparently.

Last time I played Dark Heresy with random autists instead of people I know.
>>
>>46778862

I feel ya on the killing thing. My group assumes that my character is just out to make friends and sing hippie druid songs together in the forest. They came to this conclusion because I role play with NPCs for information and try to capture people alive when possible to (brutally) interrogate them. I just want to experience more than mindless combat is all...
>>
File: RnGEd93.jpg (45 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
RnGEd93.jpg
45 KB, 600x800
No. They see a bear of a man who glowers a lot, speaks rarely, simply, and honestly, and can flip from "Grumpy blacksmith" to "Engine of destruction" when required. And that he's Good, if not necessarily nice.

They don't know that he's adventuring because he lost everything that mattered to him, or that his rages are grief-powered, or that every selfless gesture and act of bravado is at least half out of a lack of concern and self-worth. They don't know that his true mindset is pic related.

And while I'd like to explore and resolve it, he'd prefer it stays that way.
>>
>>46780615
You just make me think of the big burly mofo who'd find some place to be alone and cry inside only to get interrupted by some curious kid.

And then later the party sees you giving him a piggy back ride down the streets laughing and talking and being a dad and then you get watch the other player's faces when they figure it out.

Plus the mental image of this huge hulking warrior doing something so silly amuses the hell out of me.
>>
Not really. But I think that's because the game so far has comprised of me trying to act sensible and in character, meanwhile the other two pc's act like unstable morons with a death wish, yet their insanely lucky rolls keep allowing them to get away with it, and come off looking awesome at the same time.
On the occasion that I too have tried to join in on the ridiculous aw soreness of the other two it has consistently ended with me near death and not having achieved much for my trouble.
>>
File: 1460239808064.png (58 KB, 333x286) Image search: [Google]
1460239808064.png
58 KB, 333x286
No matter how many things I 1 shot with a power attack lance charge or how many times I and my horse willingly soak up damage, the whole party seems to think my cavalier is useless and shouldn't be allowed to make tactical choices or important decisions. Also I'm apparently the party douche bag because I'm of the Order of the Cockatrice and want an even share of the loot even though I've never asked for a greater share. They just read the Order description and think they know my character inside and out.
>>
They don't
>>
>>46777263
Yeah. He's a jesus-freak for avacyn, and I've done a pretty good job conveying that idea through roleplay.
>>
File: reeeeeeeee.png (112 KB, 492x375) Image search: [Google]
reeeeeeeee.png
112 KB, 492x375
>>46777580
This.

I've played with too many fucking manchildren who think their dark & edgy Lone Wolf type is special because they've got 8 pages of backstory, even if all the character does is sit in the back of the inn, brooding.
>>
>play a flamboyant gnome obsessed with the notions of heroism and bravado
>get recognized as such
fühlt gut mann
>>
>>46781696
You poor fucking man. That would fucking kill me to be in.
>>
Reading this thread makes me realize how lucky I am to have a group of players that is pretty understanding of characterization and all mostly try to make their characters unique

Even if you can eventually recognize who's playing them from similar tropes their characters all share (Knight swordsman, elf with a sharp tongue, vague waifu-bait, the guy who's there because it's his job, etcetera)
>>
>>46781696

Im sorry man, that blows.
>>
>minotaur barbarian searching for his lost tribe/family
>tfw just a big cow with a hammer
>>
>>46781696
Jesus that sounds rough

I feel like I've been so lucky with my group, I've never dealt with any of the faggots I read about on /tg/
>>
>>46777263
That's a very promising template
>>
I'm not sure if they do. One of the other players is more boisterous and kind of takes charge, even though in character I'm the one who's acting with the most initiative/selflessness. We're all loaded up with CHA(playing 5e, I'm a Sorcerer, he's a Death Cleric, his wife's playing a bard with 8STR and 9DEX) and don't really have a heavy, so he tries to solve everything with charisma checks, which I'm just not into.

We're a three-player group running Hoard of the Dragon Queen, though, and I asked the DM about making a barbarian to play as a second character so we can have more options than 'let's talk our way in/out of this.'
>>
>>46778342
Chevalier D'eon?
>>
>>46786912
Rose of Versailles, actually.
>>
Tiefling warlock disguised as a human noble who is becoming the richest man in the world through various manipulations of the global economy and lots of things like war profiteering.

They see
>Le evil devil man 666

He's really trying to control and own everything because he thinks he can buy friends and acceptance (tieflings are hated in our setting) and deep down he's terrified that when he dies his soul will be claimed by hell and no one will care.
>>
>>46786991
Maybe you could try getting him into a Good-aligned religion and donating to the church, if the opportunity arises.
>>
>>46777263
No one has caught on that my Thrallherd is secretly a cute girl.
>>
>>46777263
The other players understand my current character enough to know he's an paranoid wizard with a pseudo death wish, and to keep out of his aoes.

That's all I need from them.
>>
File: Time for Sad.png (300 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
Time for Sad.png
300 KB, 500x378
>>46777263
Recently, not really, and it's sort of been a problem. I GM a lot, and my party members I think have trouble not seeing me as the GM even when I'm playing. So, when I play, I play the kind of characters I love. Ones who are balls to the wall, outhouse rat crazy. The problem is, my friends don't seem to understand this, and they still treat me like I'm the voice of experience and reason, and they should follow my lead.

So I'll be playing a crazy shirtless old man who lives in the woods and hits people with a stick. Or a delusional bard who is constantly eating hallucinogenic mushrooms and talking to himself. Or a drunk, trash talking egomaniac. Or a whacked out Malkavian. And I say and do crazy things, but then they all go along with it, even when I say to them OOC that I'm playing a maniac and they should probably just ignore me, the way they ignore other players when they play crazy as fuck characters and make idiotic suggestions.

But they follow me into these terrible disasters, and then they get mad at me for ruining things for them. And I just don't know, man. It makes me feel like even when I'm a player, I can't really have fun, I still have to be the one guy at the table who is taking things seriously and being everyone's babysitter. It's frustrating.
>>
>>46785255
fühlt SICH gut AN, mann
>>
File: 1454776244399.jpg (35 KB, 643x500) Image search: [Google]
1454776244399.jpg
35 KB, 643x500
>>46777325
Would anyone care about your character without their mask on, however?
>>
>>46786940
Is it good?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.