[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brave New Worlds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 54
File: 1460788608503.jpg (383 KB, 1280x1899) Image search: [Google]
1460788608503.jpg
383 KB, 1280x1899
Science Fantasy Setting working title

Previous thread
>>46703690
>>
http://sys.4chan.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fdocument%2Fd%2F176Jout3dMJF8K_PlIVAWKMtfnWjH4eATAx05emoo9LU%2Fedit%3Fusp%3Dsharing
>>
File: reinhardt-concept.3RpTQ.jpg (275 KB, 1165x1100) Image search: [Google]
reinhardt-concept.3RpTQ.jpg
275 KB, 1165x1100
>>
>>46776147

Neat, I heard mention of a doc so it's good to see someone has saved it.
>>
File: Astrolabe1.jpg (88 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Astrolabe1.jpg
88 KB, 800x600
If there is still interest, I've been reading through the previous topics and have a few lore bits to throw in and see if they interest anyone.

1. The Church of Celestial Guidance
- The religion of Sola finds it's base in Eryia and the main temple of worship is the Church of Celestial Guidance which is a city state built on the harbor of the to the Sea of Una. The Sola religion began as a belief and tradition among the fishermen and sailors of the city before it's desctruction and rebirth as a place of worship and a site from which many ships leave Eyria into the void beyond. The sailors who placed their faith in the movement of the sun, the moon, and the stars to guide them would offer prayers and and various beliefs they felt would protect them and over time many of these sayings and practices were written down and would evolve into the practices for the church of Sola. Several of the main attractions includes the Astro Clock which is a strange clock that tells no time but follows the movement of Sola and her children in the sky. Another, is the Astrolabe which is a product of early rune circuit technology and carried by the Ascended Watcher during ceremonies
>>
>>46776147
>http://sys.4chan.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fdocument%2Fd%2F176Jout3dMJF8K_PlIVAWKMtfnWjH4eATAx05emoo9LU%2Fedit%3Fusp%3Dsharing
>somebody saved my doc
I'm touched
>>
What's the setting in a nutshell? A summary in the OP would do a lot of good?
>>
>>46778766
My apologies, I was on a phone when i posted this. Not exactly the best way to writing paragraphs.

----------------------------------------------

>While messing around with runes, A Young Wizard accidentally discovers how to create Circuits, and after further experimentation creates both batteries and generators.

>This discovery kicks off a two century period of rapid development, and innovation. Heralding an industrial revolution, the invention of the microrune, Digitial transfer of information, and manned missions to the moon and the planets beyond.

>Intelligent life was discovered on the moon, as well as a thriving and habitable biosphere. Similar situations could be found the further they traveled. Colonization, and expansion was in full swing.

>The first discoveries were full of wonder and friendliness. What new wonders would the rest of the solar system bring? Intelligent Cephelopod's with biologic power armor, Dark Matter Ghosts, and Digital elementals.

>While the kingdoms of old spread their influence, Brave Settlers, entrepreneurs, or explores push out towards the new worlds. Dare you set solar sail to the lands in the sky?
>>
>>46778766
>student Wizard fucks up when copying runes for the thousandth time, accidentally invents the circut
>kicks off a few centuries of innovation and industrial progress, culminating in a manned moon landing
>turns out it's habitable... and inhabited
>It's a new age of colonization and exploration, as Eryia's nations are all resource hungry and proud
>are you a bad enough dude to sail the star-marred sea in search of opportunity and glory?
>>
>>46779043
BUT WHO DOES DARE PLY THE STARS?

These fuckers:
>Derrlon
Once a colony of one of the strongest nations on Eryia, it declared itself independent when said nation start purging itself in Hellfire.
>Grailea
Once a land whose people didn't really have a national identity, they were quick to develop one based on NOBILITY and HONOR when Palrod, that strong nation mentioned above, invaded. Now they've got banners hanging from every possible rafter and a sense of pride a mile wide.

TL;DR Knight!Murica

>Al'adul
Imagine if the Mongols hadn't burned down Baghdad, and the region didn't become a horrible, horrible place.

That's these fuckers!

>Moonkin
Subtly Psionic Cat/Rabbit people (And surprisingly enough, not as a fetish thing for once!). They live on the Moon.

>Sepiidans
Cephalopods gifted in Biotech (well, Biomagitech) who grow their own armored shells filled with a nutrient rich fluid. They worship what can best be described as personified evolution.

>Zarnd
Philosophical Narwhal VIkings. They live for centuries, constantly war with the Sepiidans, and send their young out into the world (and more recently, other worlds) to answer some philosophical question posed by their King.

>Kesar
Living out on the moons of a Gas Giant, they bootstrapped themselves into space when a comet laden with magical materials crashed into their Homeworld (Homemoon?). Unfortunately for them, their relatively primitive ships couldn't cross the vast distances between worlds so easily as they could between moons. So they hitched a ride on other comets, traveling with them as either city-states or raiders. Think triremes to the Eryian caravels. Except with spaceships that don't look like either.

>Cont.
>>
>>46779401
>Dark Matter Ghosts
Wraithlike beings that don't really interact with "regular" existence. Live beyond the Luminous Zone protected by the Sun.

>Encephalon Beings
As the microrune made mass networks possible across Eryia, the constant influx of maigc, information, and energy linked the thing to another plane of existence.

Fueled by the sudden infusion, a once minor and inert plane "next" to the treacherous Gate Realm became a dazzling "land"scape of knowledge and creatures made from data.

>Lich-Philosphers

A few centuries back some wizards decided that the only way they'd ever reach true enlightenment was by staying in the world where they could observe everything. So they invented Necromancy. And then one of them went evil, thousands died, the rest went underground for a few centuries, and once interplanetary flight was possible, they jacked a few freighters and fucked off to the edge of the system, where they could study (and in more than a few cases plot and scheme) to their heart's content.
>>
>>46779043
>>46778947
So this is a decidedly Nobelbright High Fantasy in space?

Like Spelljammer but with 1000% more magic technobabel?
>>
>>46779998

More or less. Throw in some Wagon Train to the Stars, and "There's Gold in them Thar hills!" for good measure
>>
>>46780155
How so?
>>
File: Bundeswehr.jpg (292 KB, 1094x1260) Image search: [Google]
Bundeswehr.jpg
292 KB, 1094x1260
Grailean Knights

Equal parts Special Forces and Shock Trooper, Grailean Knights are trained to be the eptomie what all of the Grailean armed forces strive to be. Brave, courageous, Loyal, honorable, and the deadliest motherfuckers alive. Becoming a Knight is a relatively long process. First one, must apply for training.

The common man must serve at least one tour of duty in the regular military, then serve a six month "Shadowing" period as a squire to a veteran Knight, that knight will determine if he qualifies for further training. While Noblemen can apply to be a Squire right away, this is the only privilege they gain in the program.

Once they are approved for further training, they go through a grueling 2 year training period, training in multiple climates, all sorts of weaponry and in the specialized used in Knight Armor. there is a 60% washout rate. and 10% fatality rate

Those that succeed Knight Training are granted the title of knight, and are henceforth considered nobility if they weren't previously. This can only be revoked by a written order by the king and queen.
>>
>>46780660

It's a setting that takes place at the height of exploration and expansion so it's assumed several years/centuries have passed but there is still plenty left to do as various factions are looking to stake their claim or just get rich.
>>
>>46780660
Virgin worlds ripe with untapped resources, unspoilt lands, and a shitton of living space.

>Born too late to explore the Earth. Born too early to explore space. Born just in time for dank maymays
>>
>>46780800
>>46780815
>>46779998

Only about 3-4 of the 10 worlds in the solar system are considered "Heavily populated." at least by human standards. This isnt even counting the myriad of habitable moons available.
>>
>>46780815
>>46780800
So the farther away from the center 9f expansion the lest Nobel bright things become? Cannibal aliens, giant monsters, violent solar storms, etc?

Does the setting have a BBEG?
>>
>>46779401
>Sepiidans
Octopus Senator Armstrong?

>Zarnd
Horned Liir without the pacifism?
>>
>>46780961
How many planets in the solar system again? Including the ones colonized and has any actually colonized neighboring systems?
>>
>>46781009

So far there is no set BBEG and there hasn't been any attempts to turn any of the made races/factions into them they can all be equally assholes at this point

>>46781064
So far there are 4 or 5 I think:

The setting eqvuivalent of venus/earth/mars, the ocean world, and a gas giant and the moon various moons that support life.
>>
>>46781009

Well as a general rule, i guess, the farther away from the sun you go, the more sinister/freaky shit gets.

As for an Overall BBEG? haven't thought of one. Might not nessiarlly need one per say. Exploring brand new worlds with their possibly hostile wildlife or natives, plus pissing contests between the various factions over settling or mining rights to a planet. Outlaws on the rim of settled space, preying on fortune seekers.

IF we give the GM some robust creation tools, they can make everything they need for a nice custom experience.
>>
File: file.png (161 KB, 777x1539) Image search: [Google]
file.png
161 KB, 777x1539
>>46775908
Oh hey. This seems interesting.

I drew a thing. I might be able to draw more things as I learn about this.
>>
>>46781659

pretty fucking neat.

We should probably come up with a few of the children who live outside of the Luminous Zone

>Auton the Tragic Stalker

Of Sola's children who live beyond her light, Auton is a tragic figure. Torn between the freedom of the Dark and the Joy of the Light, it is often believed that Auton wishes to make amends with her Mother but struggles with her guilt and the steadfast Aegis of her brother Hestod who was wounded by the antics of herself and her other siblings.

Auton has an odd orbit in the solar system that causes it to come nearer to Hestod and become somewhat visible to the careful eye of an astronomer. Known as the Stalker for he moves about freely in the Darkness yet can never overcome Hestod's Watchful Gaze.

During the time of the year when Auton is nearest there is a festival where those who seek redemption with those they have wronged will attempt to do so and in some nations is adopted as a sort of form of forgiveness if one confesses to their crimes in exchanged for lowered or less severe sentences
>>
File: file.png (266 KB, 1164x1227) Image search: [Google]
file.png
266 KB, 1164x1227
>>46781874
I feel like we could put a sort of asteroid belt and maybe rings after Hestod, to emphasize the impact and the sort of "Line in the sand" that is cosmically drawn.

I also feel that Hestod could really serve to have some major Edgar Rice Burroughs vibes going on.

Have another drawing anon.
Since Grailean knights were mentioned earlier in this thread.
>>
File: moon-kin.png (212 KB, 567x1456) Image search: [Google]
moon-kin.png
212 KB, 567x1456
another quick doodle for the thread.

Moonkin.
>>
>>46782055

Yeah, could help draw out the mythology of the Sola religion.

Hestod is the world at the edge of the Luminous zone and known as the broken gate for it is believed by many scholars and philosophers that many eons at creation, the Broken Gate was the left over bits from the formation of planets and moons.

Hestod is often buffeted by such ancient artefacts although they are usually so small as to be insignificant, there was massive crater found to exist that is believed to have left Hestod the lukewarm world it is now pelted by various meteorites and other celestial objects.

Hestod is popular with young warriors who will pray to him for strength in perservence and is the patron of Guardians and Soldiers alike in his unwavering devotion.

However, he is not very forgiving and won't allow any of his wayward kin to come back into the luminous zone in spite of his own injuries.
>>
>>46782468
That conjures quite the image in my head, of some godly figure, a stone warrior with just a broken off arm and hole in his torso, representative of the times he's been buffeted and pelted, and how he still stands now.

That said I'm a little unclear as to how... "literal" the mythology is.

Does Hestod exist as a god separate from the planet as a being? or does the godly mythology exist to explain how the planets are the way they are?

Do gods do stuff in the world a la DnD gods? or is it all sciencecy way of looking at mythology?
>>
>>46782621

It's just an pseudo religious explanaition for the way planets are. I think it was agreed upon there wouldn't be overt dieties in this setting although you could have aliens and other magic use beings who come close to it.
>>
File: file.png (241 KB, 836x1337) Image search: [Google]
file.png
241 KB, 836x1337
>>46782667
ah okay then.

I'm thinking whatever worlds the Zarnds, Squid jerks and Cordyans come from should perhaps orbit some grim and green looking gas giant. all the planets orbiting it having a bit of a recurring theme of being wet, gross, or cold. (Mushroom planet, water/Ice world, and perhaps a couple others).

Have good ol Hesod.
>>
>>46782621
It's intentionally unclear.
>>
>>46783013

Now that I think about it, we never did establish where the Sepiidan homewhere was. I suppose it could be one of the worlds outside the Luminous Zone. Close enough to have some sun but far enough away to be a somewhat cold water world with a warm ocean underneath sort of like One of saturns moons who's name escapes me at the moment.
>>
>>46781154
>>46781118

This creates a clearer picture of the setting. A big thing this project needs is factions. Not necessarily set factions but kinds of factions that we can make roll your own tables for.

Personally? I would approach this with a certain age of sail feel, with the bold factions venturing off from the heart of the known galaxy to bring the light of civilization. But they also have their flaws, be it zealotry, or xenophobia, or pride something that every faction has that makes them not 100% good, and the guys that are pure of heart and valiant in action are usually strapped for resources or kind rundown. Like Conquistadors versus friars.

For another roll table, worlds. Perhaps even whole systems. I would keep down the technobabel and crib from Destiny, having most stuff have simple, magical or quirky names. But I digress, worlds should feel either bountiful or barren, safe or alien. Some worlds can be evocative of the great sweeping fields of the Americas, while others can feel like exploring the depths of caves or barren peaks. A player should either feel a sense of wonder or fear by just looking at a planet.

Settling should also be a factor, since this is the Golden age of exploration. I think in certain areas we can toss out real science, only using it when we want. I think we should focus on the Fantasy part more than the science.

Tl;Dr greentext
>>Inspirational sources
>Destiny
>40k
>Warmahordes
>Eberron
>Spelljammer
>Way of Kings
>Renaissance/Age of Sail/Roaring Twenties adventure

>>Themes
>Comradery
>Isolation

As for bad guys, natives and wild beasts are an no brainer, but I think the environment should be just as great an enemy as sentient life
>>
File: file.png (332 KB, 700x325) Image search: [Google]
file.png
332 KB, 700x325
>>46783258
Ganymede, its an Ice ball with an internal ocean heated by tidal forces, at least thats the gist of what I understand of it.

How accurate are we aiming to be as well? Like should we go full pulp scifi and have every planet be habitable?
>>
>>46783592
If we could pull it off I think going halfway between hardcore grimdark and exciting noble bright, the tone getting progressively darker as one moves away from the relative galactic center.

Speaking of which, how much do we have on the planet of origin? I think we should work from there, outward
>>
>>46783663
Eriya and Luna seem to be the planet of origin. The doc opens about the first wizard inventing space travel there. so it makes sense for it to be the central bit.
>>
File: file.png (334 KB, 1362x956) Image search: [Google]
file.png
334 KB, 1362x956
>>46783723
I was brainstorming another race idea, and was debating on whether to have them native to say Auton for the whole "Outsider seeking redemption" theming or a planet further out due to their appearance..

Basically a race of good-natured Cronenburgs, each uniquely ugly as that they hide their bodies and faces from eachother, wearing masks and cloaks.

Underneath its just a real shitshow of eyes, holes, mucous, tendrils and general quivering smelly oddness that doesn't need to be discussed.

They are easily subjugated by bandits or perhaps other native conquerors on their world.
>>
>>46779545
Don't forget about "The Sect". They were added at the end of the last thread.
>>
>>46775908
Is it science fantasy if the fantasy element is God and angels?

Keep your fedoras off
>>
File: 01_groups.png (29 KB, 290x454) Image search: [Google]
01_groups.png
29 KB, 290x454
>>46783371
I see what you're getting at.

So far we've got this sort of dichotomy between the increasingly fleshed out Luminous Zone and the strange undiscovered regions outside it. I feel like having the solid "civilized" bedrock of the setting provides a nice foundation for it, while we could definitely do the faction/worlds thing you're talking about for the outer regions.

>I'm assuming that when you say "Factions" you mean things like expeditions or businesses or colonies or something

>>46784266
That's strangely endearing.

And sort of terrifying if you actually manage to get one angry.

>>46785452
Not according to most people.
>pic related
>>
>>46785671
Oh no, the setting absolutely NEEDS a civilized bedrock, a Tower, a Sigil, Ravnica, Coruscant, Imperial City, its Holy Terra, the origin of exploration, the spoke on which the wheel of tbe civilized world sits, a radiant sun that beats back the darkness.

The way I see the setting is that this is a reverse Apocalypse. Maybe this galaxy is Post-Great Filtering, and from the cradel of Eriya, civilization is just now beginning to get back on its it feet. Whether it wants to or not.

We could make a very purposeful departure from this very comfy Kill Six Billion Demons style Space Fantasy and present the half dead ruins of pre-civilization link something out of a Geiger+Lovecraft fever dream, all the comfort and warmth of Magic replaced by alien and ancient forbidden science, pure thought and cold reason lurking in their darkness. Otherwise it would be as wild as prehistory.

And when I say faction I literally mean any unified group. Grailiean Knights, Guilds, orders, sects, castes, races, conclaves, anything. This sort of autistic organization would probably only exist where the warmth of civilization lingered, and said factions, or parties composed of members of various factions would venture together into the deep for glory and Conquest.
>>
>>46786101
Wow, I'm super tired and not making sense.

Yes I believe we need a hub area. A central world basically, like the Last City in Destiny or Sigil.

Beyond the rays of civilization I am proposing here that things are either wild discovery or At the Mountains of Madness.

By factions I mean like 40k has factions.
>>
>>46786101
I think we're aiming for Single solar system at the moment.

>>46783723 Eryia (2nd world from the sun) is where the exploration started. If that is any kind of jumping off point.

But perhaps we don't want to turn the entire planet into a safe zone.

Perhaps an artificial satellite. Space station, or shining fantasy city. A space fantasy version of the Citadel from mass effect in orbit between Eryia and Hestod.

That way Eryia can have factions and less savorable stuff going on its surface.
>>
>>46786101
>>46786148

I like what's happening here.

Sounds like everything Destiny was supposed to be but never delivered on. I like the idea of reconquest. The apocalypse happened and but now those few hardy enough to survive it are rallying the survivors together to make something new, and trying to reconquer the darkened wilderness, to free their fate from the abyss, to fight back the night and usher in the dawn.
>>
>>46786341
Ah, but Eryia DOES have these things.

Palrod lies a mainly barren waste, its lands theoretically divided among the nations that defeated the Mad King, but in practice? Lawlessness and Salvage galore.

Grailea was founded by Knights crusading against Dragons, and who's to say they got them all?

One of the major things brought up in the first thread was that Runic Circuts made trade through the vast wilderness possible, and there are likely still areas, shrinking areas, of the wilds still out there.

Then there's the political and social plot hooks of the massive industrial cities of the great nations, complete with unemployment courtesy of Encephalon-Inhabited Golems.

Not to mention how those same major powers (the Threee Kingdoms?) are likely engaged in the friendliest Cold War you ever did see over the various small nations scattered across the map.

Plus like, if any planet is going to have ancient ruins, it's probably going to be the one that was at one point a High Fantasy setting.

I think something that's easy to overlook is that these are whole PLANETS we're talking about here.
>>
>>46781659
>>46782055
>>46782395
Art is now in the docs.
>>46784266
Do we want these as a playable race or as NPCs?
>>
>>46787378

Im thinking NPC. Nothing is more paralyzing to a new player than too many choices.
>>
>>46785671
If "factions" means "big organisations, corporations and political movements that constantly backstab each other", I'd say it'd be good in the Luminous Zone. Give it more stuff going on.
>>46787402
Yeah, we have enough playable races for now I'd say.
>>
File: file.png (187 KB, 970x826) Image search: [Google]
file.png
187 KB, 970x826
>>46787402
Artist here, I was about to say the same thing.

Mostly because "being monsterous" is cool for a player race. But the Pyth are also "hideous" and a little "pathetic" (Sort of where i got "Pyth" from).

They should be an oddity of a civilization that players stumble upon.

A race that has oppressors that need to be overthrown.

Or a species of creatures so different and strange that they alienate and disturb the heroes.

I do feel like they could use some oppressors then... unless its will be the less savory elements of Luminous Zone that oppress them.
>>
File: file.png (385 KB, 1109x1221) Image search: [Google]
file.png
385 KB, 1109x1221
>>46785671
>That's strangely endearing.
I like cute things what can I say?
>And sort of terrifying if you actually manage to get one angry.
Pretty much. I feel like it should be hard to make one angry. Easy to embarrass or frighten or browbeat, hard to make one angry.

When mad... I can't help but think of it being like that boar from Princess Mononoke or a boss from Bloodborne.
>>
File: FFXIV_2.0_Hyur_Artwork.jpg (268 KB, 1000x857) Image search: [Google]
FFXIV_2.0_Hyur_Artwork.jpg
268 KB, 1000x857
I'd like to talk about fashion for a moment.

I believe that the dress of the day is a three part mixture of Skin tight one piece jumpsuit, Casual modern clothing, and Medieval/fantasy leather outfits.
>>
File: 1792855-leo_concept_art.jpg (580 KB, 3508x2480) Image search: [Google]
1792855-leo_concept_art.jpg
580 KB, 3508x2480
>>46787787
That imaged mixed with something like pic related.
>>
>>46787787
>>46787802
I could see the fashion of the industries and peoples involved with space travel moving towards the jumpsuits, with the regular planetary stuff keeping to "conventional" fashion.

Well, except for the Sepiidans. Their form of fashion is basically their armor as well.

>>46787576
>>46787683
I am getting STRONG Blorg vibes from these guys.
>>
File: Sect Leader.jpg (6 KB, 189x267) Image search: [Google]
Sect Leader.jpg
6 KB, 189x267
>>46779545
>>46779401

They can be called The Sect (insectoid and religious).

Their religion/spirituality can focus on worshiping the stars, and their 'holy' work can consist of venerating the vastness of the galaxy by mapping and closely monitoring the little known distant galaxy, star alignments, and various distant disturbances in the cosmos.

They can be the culture/group that characters can go to which help (from their limited and religious perspective) give information on the galaxy beyond the solar system, since they have been monitoring viewing and worshiping the vastness of it for millennia.

Perhaps there is an ancient, savage and ruinous war being waged across the vast distances of space within the galaxy, which The Sect have been seeing slowly unfold for thousands of years, they see the destruction of stars and entire systems as the light dies and warps from certain sections of distant stars and systems.

The Sect are few in number, and very hard to reach, preferring the solitude of their temples set upon an asteroid/in a nebula/within a piece of ancient tech which floats unbound by planets, what ever works.

a nice addition to the system to have a race that's still very much a part of he system not "precursor" by any means, but which gives us as players/characters/creators a way of linking the system to the galaxy beyond, and The Sect fulfill that role. As 'watchers' as 'viewers' as 'star theologians' they have a vast collection of knowledge and image-information of the galaxy beyond the system, though it's all circumstances and biased they have made it their goal to monitor and document the movements of the stars beyond, while ignoring the goings on of the system they are actually a part of (our system).

unless any brillian/tg/entlemen are specifically against the idea, I feel like theres something good about adding a group that can connect the system to the vastness of the galaxy in an intermediary kinda way.
>>
File: 983562339_zps7e022f1c.jpg (64 KB, 712x1024) Image search: [Google]
983562339_zps7e022f1c.jpg
64 KB, 712x1024
>>46787855
>>46787787

Something like this maybe?
>>
File: file.png (217 KB, 533x917) Image search: [Google]
file.png
217 KB, 533x917
>>46787802
>>46787787
Just a quick last thing before I head to bed.

This look anything like what you were imagining?

>>46787855
Blorg?
>>
>>46787867

Well the way i see it. The further you get away from the core planets, the less well known/detailed you get.

These guys i see would be a plot hook for a specific adventure path. With maybe a paragraph or two describing them in the GM's section of the book.
>>
>>46787958
Beautiful
>>
>>46787972
They can still be a minor element within one of the core planet's moons.

And yes, absolutely intended to be a plot hook. I just wanted something available (minor though they may be mostly) that can connect our little system with the grander scale of the galaxy that surrounds us.
>>
>>46788009
I'm thinking either a secluded monestary/observatory on Hestod (or its moon if it has one), since its the furthest out of the Luminous Zone.

Or Venya, since something needs to be on that planet. Unless its maybe the Elesheph settling it.
>>
>>46788072
Derrlon is there, yeah?
>>
>>46788072
Wasn't there a proposition for an area called the Great Darkness last thread?
>>
File: Sect Observation Library.jpg (200 KB, 1032x774) Image search: [Google]
Sect Observation Library.jpg
200 KB, 1032x774
>>46788072
I like the idea of putting it on one of the Hestod moons, we can just give Hestod two moons after all.

Since The Sect don't breed, they are a slowly dying race. Mayb 1000 still survive, and 99% of these are monks that live, reside, and worship at the Temple of Stars.

This fits the motif, and also means they take up very little physical space.
>>
>>46788115
There was.

I have no idea what the OP of that idea intended but honestly the idea of The Great Darkness just has me thinking of reavers (firefly) which might be a step to far at this stage, since we're still coming up with primary races / planets and central governments / cultures.

But it's by no means a bad idea.
>>
>>46788211
It was me. The idea was for a place that embodied the unknown. A bit of mystery and paranoia. Plus widely unexplored because of how few stars there are, meaning it's harder to go to a system and restock supplies. Many explorers either need to bring a lot, or build a supply line.

The opposite would be something like a galactic core, where the reason people don't know much about what's there is that it's dangerous to travel on account of how dense the area is, and everything is hidden due to high luminosity and energy output, or black holes in the way for those that try to study it from the outside.
>>
>>46788264
I like that a lot, but if you check out >>46776147 for example you'll find that so far we're just focus'd on creating a single system, not a galactic community. Our races can't stretch their technological arms beyond this single star system, yet....
>>
File: Land1.jpg (111 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
Land1.jpg
111 KB, 620x465
>>46781659
Love it.

Keep drawing.

This setting needs more images, IMAGE DUMP!
>>
File: Land2.jpg (38 KB, 736x343) Image search: [Google]
Land2.jpg
38 KB, 736x343
>>46789514
>>
File: Land3.jpg (283 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
Land3.jpg
283 KB, 800x500
>>46789527
>>
File: Land4.jpg (430 KB, 1925x1080) Image search: [Google]
Land4.jpg
430 KB, 1925x1080
>>46789544
>>
File: Land5.jpg (479 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Land5.jpg
479 KB, 1920x1200
>>46789555
>>
File: Land6.jpg (766 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Land6.jpg
766 KB, 1920x1080
>>46789567
>>
File: Land7.jpg (993 KB, 1920x1245) Image search: [Google]
Land7.jpg
993 KB, 1920x1245
>>46789581
>>
File: Land9.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Land9.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
>>46789589
>>
File: Runic Weaponry.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
Runic Weaponry.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>>46789602
>>
>>46786341
>Single solar system
Why?

>>46786363
Exactly, with the same feelings of exploration and hope that Destiny wanted to imbue in the player.

>>46786524
>>46786341
Why does Eryia have to be unsafe? It's the home of THE technological revolution. In order to give Civilization a reason to push into the stars, Eriya should be mostly developed, a big urban sprawl like Ravnica and Coruscant, a shining beacon of Civilization.

And if we look at those settings they have plenty of danger, natural or otherwise.

>>46787787
I imagine the fashion of the Luminous Zone would be pretty ridiculous, keeping up with the fashions would be a quest in and of itself.

>>46788264
The Galactic core should definitely be the best recorded bits of the setting.
>>
File: Land10.jpg (268 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Land10.jpg
268 KB, 1600x1200
>>46789611
Feel free to ascribe one of the planets / cities in your mind with something within / one of the images if you find something.

I'd like to start creating an image file with planets, environments, and of course races that we can ascribe to things within the solar system / setting.
Images help give my mind a scafolding for imagination, I am getting older.
>>
>>46789629
>Single Solar System
>Why?

Well my reasoning was two fold,
One;
infinite possibility and choice is paralyzing. when given a chance to do everything imaginable, they tend to do nothing.

Two,
Mostly its to evoke Age of Sail feelings about it. Months at "sea" to unknown lands in your own solar system seems cool. Being able to move to another solar system via FTL in a week, feels like a cop out, the interesting locales you find are doomed to be one note, single biome planets that serve as a theme park ride before moving on.
>>
>>46789893
So it's like taking an entire fantasy world, and taking it up one notch instead of five.
>>
>>46789923

In a shellnut yeah.

This is a setting where humanity only invented electricity two centuries ago. The fact that they've already colonised 3 other planets and some moons since then means they're advancing at a break neck pace. I'd imagine in another century or two, they might look at going galactic, but they're not quite there yet.
>>
>>46781659

More planet/god lore if anyone is want to have them

Venya is the Eldest of the three children who live in her light. She is her mother's head priestess and seeks knowledge and hidden truths and is often prayed to by Scholars and workers of magic .

However, being always in the light, there are things that she may not see or noticed and may be the hidden dangers as she seeks wisdom and serves as a warning to those who revere her to always be weary and never let your curiosity overcome your sensibilities.

As the world closes to the sun, the Arid Deserts and torturous heat are Venya's Hallmarks but even here, life prevails and in certain parts of the world there are deep revines and canyons barely acted upon by wind so as to form giant outcropings of shade where humid and wet tropical forest florish.

When may set into the stars from Eryia Venya became a popular location to build a number of scholarly institutes and labrotories do in part to it's partially isolated nature and the belief that seekers of knowledge must be as rugged and enduring as their patroness

Sheam, The Dark Ambition
At the edges of the Sol System is the last observable planet in orbit. Rarely seen from Eyria until the expanse, It is in the Sola religion meant to represent Sola's First Child. While all her children enjoy her light there lingered a desire within Sheam to go beyond even knowing he would have to abandon his mother's presence. It was he who inspired this ambition in his Wayward Kin and set about the feud that would see Hestod injured and unforgiving barring them from the Luminous Zone forever with his vigiliance. What did Sheam hope to find in the Umbral Expanse? Hence why he represents defiance and, uniquely, the courage to go beyond the safety of the light.
>>
What are the origins of this universe?
>>
>>46791102
Generally speaking, high fantasy setting entered a technological revolution built upon magic.

For Gods, Cosmology, and higher beings, no idea. I think we're still in the early stages of that.
>>
>>46788162
Many travellers have ventured to the Temple of Stars, to seek the wisdom of the Sect regarding what lies beyond the Luminous Zone. The way is perilous, and few make it to the Temple. Of those who do, even fewer are prepared for the knowledge of what lies beyond. Few retain their sanity.

I'm imagining the Sect are psionic, and are genuinely just trying to share their knowledge, but to beings who've known nothing beyond one solar system and think a single sun is a god, finding out how huge the galaxy really is and that there's other galaxies makes them like walking TPVs.
>>
>>46791214
so industrial revolution
>>
>>46791309
Yes. Except they passed the 'industrial' part and are at the 'interplanetary' stage.
>>
File: warframe_by_exaxuxer-d8g248g.jpg (147 KB, 966x828) Image search: [Google]
warframe_by_exaxuxer-d8g248g.jpg
147 KB, 966x828
>>46787958
>>46787928
>>46787802
>>46787787
>>
>>46791271
>A few of them take it as a religious revelations, start worshipping the stars as well
>>
>>46791214
No no, I mean like Big Bang primordial origins
>>
>>46794007
That would be stuff relating to Gods, Cosmology, and higher beings. Still not well defined I think. Any ideas?
>>
So while all these planets are habitable, what about them makes them different from Eryia?

It was mentioned that Luna had these thick, dark, viscous seas and vast plains of silvery earth through which geysers of "Liquid Moonligt" erupt.
>>
File: file.png (129 KB, 507x325) Image search: [Google]
file.png
129 KB, 507x325
>>46795311
I think Hestod is a hard place to live. Chilly but dry and dusty. Having survived an impact and being right on the edge of the asteroid belt I feel that meteor showers might be pretty common too. Its also the last step before the proper Frontier worlds so I picture if there is civilization, its a bit of an edge or some grit from basically being a "harbor town", or lets face it cowboy esque bordertown.

Water exists but its deep underground.

I definitely some John Carter of Mars vibes from reading the description in the doc.

Pic Unrelated. Just a quick sketch.
>>
>>46795311
Well, the homeworld of the Sepiidans is almost 100% covered in water. The only inhabitable landmasses are the polar caps where the Zarnd live, which I imagine are either basically just huge icebergs or Fenris-style tectonic hellholes.
>>
So I was thinking, what if there was some threat on the Dark Side of Luna? A more dangerous species of creatures, maybe shadow warlocks who are weakened by Sola's light and thus seek to cloak all of Luna in eternal darkness. Call them something like the Shadowmasters. Since it turns out Darkweaver and Shadow Weaver are already being used.
>>
>>46796737

Maybe the moon kabbit people could fill that role as well? The ones who live on the light facing side would be the bog standard ones while those that live in the dark side are more predatory having perfectly adapted night vision. So instead of kabbit people you have cat/dog super versions of them. Their equivalent to White Walkers that they have to be careful of when there is an eclipse.
>>
>>46798158
Perhaps their shadowmancy is the "dark side", if you will, of lunar illusion magic. Rather than weaving illusions out of Luna's light and whispering dreams into people's ears, they call upon the darkness of the night and release the howls of a madman's nightmare.
>>
>>46796737
>>46798439
>>46798158
But what if instead of Nightmarish Horror, the (well shit, can't use Dark Siders, can I?) kabbits from the other side are all about LAW and JUSTICE in a very eye-for-an-eye way.

Ripping the truth from the minds of criminals, pulling a kool-aid-man on the Dreamscape in search of those who would hide from THE LAW.

Main problem is that their law code is basically Hammurabi meets Singapore: Harsh and Petty.

Comes with the more dangerous and less fertile territory on that side.
>>
>>46799942
The main reason I was going for the nightmarish horror angle was they have a society in which it is eternally light. They can't grow food, they have to kill for it. They can't get warm unless they use fire, which draws people who want to kill you and steal your food, or kill creatures and wrap themselves in their skin. The law thing could be possible in some kind of laws-of-nature-survival-of-the-fittest-esque way. Have them be enforcers of what they perceive as the rules of nature.

AND THEY'LL RUN WHEN THE SUN COMES UP, WITH THEIR LIVES ON THE LINE
>>
>>46800112
*eternally dark
It's late okay
>>
>>46800112
See, I was thinking in sort of a similar direction. Any society that would survive like that would need extreme discipline and order, a specific hierarchy and control of resources that would allow them to survive, to keep the Outside... outside.

A Hydraulic Empire kind of thing. A nation where power flows from control of vital infrastructure, in this case the food supply, and allows a single authority total control. They'd get their food by having those mole things consume the life underground, the fungi and such, and then eat the (presumably non-sentient) moles in turn.
>>
>>46800297
It could be that they have some belief in their own superiority as a species over the rest of the solar system because they've lived the way they have and built a society. Their entire lives consist of struggling to live and doing exactly what they're told, their mythology may state that it's because Sola and her children all hate them and even their own mother denies her their light so they're all ridiculously bitter, and so naturally they get a bit xenophobic and omnicidal once in a while.
>>
File: file.png (44 KB, 333x466) Image search: [Google]
file.png
44 KB, 333x466
So regarding the dark side of luna...

The dark side of "our moon" is just the side that we can't see because the moon is tidally locked to earth. we see the same face all the time.

Light still hits the dark side of the moon.

Now for one side of the moon to be eternally day and the other to be eternally night the moon would need to be tidally locked to the sun instead.

>>46799942
>kabbits from the other side are all about LAW and JUSTICE in a very eye-for-an-eye way.
am i in the ballbark or no? Frankly I'm just being a wee bit silly at this point. I'm up for whatever.
>>
>>46800424
That could work.

I was personally approaching them from the angle of Pride and "Only We were Chosen to endure" or "Luna sheds its Light on its weaker children. We can stand on our own while They must be coddled like infants. Weak willed, weak minds" They must be taught true strength and order."

>>46800569
years in the isocubes for copyright infringement/10

it's good
>>
>>46800569
Right, hadn't thought of that.

Well, never mind then.
>>
I guess the other side could just be a bit more barren.

Maybe something to do with the viscous seas?
>>
How do you guys feel about "Wild Space" being located in the Belt juuuuuust beyond Hestod?

Just a small, mineral rich, part of the belt, mind you.

>>46792190
Almost TOO fashionable.
>>
>>46806023

I think that was the idea in general. The way I see it Hestod is sort of like a wild west/John Carter of Mars type deal with it being like Earth from Cowboy Bebop as well (i.e. constant space debris falling on it) So It and parts of the Asteroid belt would be where you have pioneers and prospecters looking for shit to dig/find and get rich.
>>
Just realized something.

The rune circuitry is suppose to be solar powered right? I imagine if you went further then the Luminous Zone you're going to be hard pressed for power if you overextend your gear because it'll either take way longer to charge up or won't because you're too far away.

You could make a border planet like Hestod super important by providing an alternative resource that can keep your ship and your gear/magic topped off when you're exploring farther out.

Some kind of expy for coal? Maybe a rock that emits a bright light when burnt so you have solar funaces that shed like on exposed ruin circuits.
>>
>>46807252
>some ancient (real world) cultures considered Iron to be the Blood of the World
>Hestod has a deep wounds and craters from some kind of event
>Hestod is named after/is god in the Sola faith

DEEP VEINS OF MAGICAL METAL THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE BLOOD OF THE WORLD
>>
>>46807375
>is A god
Big typo there. My bad.
>>
>>46807375

>More radical members of the Sola Faith take great exception to mining on Hestod.but are fine with mining the nearby asteroid belt
>Problem is the mineral is more potent and readily plentiful on Hestod.
>They arn't backed by the Sola faith as a whole as the main branch back on Eryia stays mum for the most part
>There are occasional conflicts between Prospectors and The Guardians of the Wounded over mining

It just writes itself.
>>
>>46775908
We need some thread music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RUsJOMK2ms&list=PL7_8KJvbYl3QZ9UWdyYA6ByWXsu0M9TjS
>>
>>46808507
My taste is as terrible as it is semi-relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaUfpz3b1aQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu-zLip6tkI&ebc=ANyPxKryxGzl4jCrao6zLGz7PKZpmR1AdoHBrFnKDCKOwsk68SH8JXEB17ueG74jqTxVsYYsR4mjDqtjUrA8fzGCUbBcpAXu1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkRl84KdHcU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FmAUwojQcE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlCGZwc2A9M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VnkmacU6no
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKrk7qDNKuo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohmUNBvtvQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFkcAH-m9W0
>>
>>46793714
>>46791271
I wholeheartedly approve of this. Ina add it to the doc.
>>
File: Auton-Wishes-For-Mother-SOla.png (178 KB, 1762x1218) Image search: [Google]
Auton-Wishes-For-Mother-SOla.png
178 KB, 1762x1218
>>46781874
So I sketched a quick "Godly Visage" of poor ol Auton.

What do you guys think?

Anything else I should sketch?
>>
>>46809281
I like it, and the symbolism of the Belt and the Gate.

I did think the other side of 'er hood was teeth for a second.
>>
File: Moromite.jpg (8 KB, 236x234) Image search: [Google]
Moromite.jpg
8 KB, 236x234
>>46809281
Feel like drawing The Sect's last Temple of the Stars? (it's an observatory).

Also, I should get started on some other NPC races, since we only have the one at the moment.

What about a race of miners, who can relate to >>46807252 point about needing a secondary energy source (i really like the idea of burning a rock that emits light and calling the process a 'solar furnace btw)

These little guys can live their whole lives exclusively jumping from asteroid to asteroid in the belt mining the 'Solaris Rock' or w/e. They are simple minded, though not stupid, and are mischievous. They can often be seen racing each other in their small compact mining vehicles around the belt, often with deadly consequences for the racers, but to the amusement and cheers of the betting onlookers (often the bets made are not about who wins, but rather who crashes first etc...) they take life and death with a very candid touch.

We can call them Moromites and they can look like this, roughly

(drawanon, feel free to draw one of thees creatures instead if you want, however you feel they should look)
>>
>>46809281

The religion of Sola is probably my favoite part of thie world building so far.

maybe you can do>>46790370
>>
>>46809281
also, i really like these drawings, keep it up!
>>
>>46809439

Ha! Now we have the goblins of this setting. I could imagine some beleaguered Foreman slapping his forehead anyone one of them plays chickin with the mining equipment but can't afford to let them go because they do actually do good work and know better then to pull their antics on the humans.
>>
File: unnamed-3-600x337.jpg (49 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
unnamed-3-600x337.jpg
49 KB, 600x337
>>46809518
Are gobbos riding squigs okay?
>>
>>46809439
Furthermore, they live very short lives as individuals, but breed quickly, though because of their mischievous nature they often die in the throws of youthful exuberances, so rarely live to their life expectancy of 10 years.

They are easy to trade with, and have a love for things that go fast or things that squirm and wriggle (they love trying new food, and they eat their food alive, taking great delight in watching what they eat try to escape their mouths) they will obviously also trade for what ever we're going to decide the system's currency is (Which we should probably do actually?)

Easy to trade with does not mean easy to steal from, cross them and prepare to be swarmed by a hoard of small ships biting with laser cutters, and stinging with kinetic-diging moduels like a hoard of angry army ants.
>>
>>46809542

Imagine if one was imaginative enough to go to a Spiidan and ask it to make a literal living motorcycle. So now you have the fast lizard guy from Star Wars with handle bars and eats fossil fuels.
>>
>>46809582
love it. This setting is really growing in potential.

It's got a deepening lore (religious and industrial), a great set of interesting and not derivative races, and it's starting to be partially hilarious as well (yes, i was thinking of the Kabbits, who ever thought them up is a brillian/tg/entleman, tho also a very silly sally).
>>
>>46809439
So, I added Moromites to the google doc.

If any anon's have anything they don't like / want to add (constructively of course) please let me know and i'll happily amend things etc, after all this is a setting for all of us.

(full description in next post)

or if any anon's have any other NPC races they think would add to the setting feel free to post! if you're not comfortable / capable / too lazy to fully describe or denote your idea, I can certainly work to flesh it out for you.
>>
>>46809839

Moromites: These little guys live their whole lives exclusively jumping from asteroid to asteroid in the belt mining the 'Solaris Rock' (or whatever we decide the mineral will be called).

They are simple minded, though not stupid, and are mischievous. They can often be seen racing each other in their small compact mining vehicles around the belt, often with deadly consequences for the racers, but to the amusement and cheers of the betting onlookers (often the bets made are not about who wins, but rather who crashes first, how they crash, etc...) they take life and death with a very candid touch.

Furthermore, they live very short lives as individuals, but breed quickly, though because of their mischievous nature they often die in the throws of youthful exuberances, so rarely live to their life expectancy of 10 years.

They are easy to trade with, and have a love for things that go fast and things that squirm and wriggle (they love trying new food, and they eat their food alive, taking great delight in watching what they eat try to escape their mouths) they will obviously also trade for (whatever we're going to decide the system's currency is) ‘money’.

Easy to trade with does not mean easy to steal from however, cross the Moromites at your peril. If you do, prepare to be swarmed by a hoard of small ships biting with laser cutters, and stinging with kinetic-digging modules; like a hoard of angry army ants the Moromites will destroy you utterly, scrap your ship completely, and laugh wholeheartedly over a wriggling meal only minutes later when they tell their compatriots the (for them) hilarious story of how you wailed and writhed in pain as you struggled desperately to breath your last while you drifted out in the cold unforgiving vacuum of space.
>>
>>46809839

We should probably come up with more locations to add for each planet.

So far we have the Cloud city in one of the Gas giants.

I'm guessing there would be a major city/trade hub on Hestod as well. An idea for it would be called Boom Town. Taking inspiration from Dead Space where they have Macro Cannons that shoot meteors and prevent them from hitting the ship the town has was is essentially Stone Henge from Ace Combat as well as a giant shield that protects it but requires a massive amount of Solarite (maybe we can call it that) to burn in the Solar Furnace to maintatin so they only crank them up when Meteor showers become particularly intense.
>>
>>46809855
Thought I might continue posting / pasting what's already in the doc >>46776147 just regarding the races we currently have explored / created.

The Sect are an insectoid religious order whose religion/spiritually focus’ on worshiping the stars.

Their ‘holy’ work consists of venerating the vastness of the galaxy through mapping, monitoring and documenting the known galaxy beyond our little system; star alignments, and various distant disturbances that can only be glimpsed through flickers of light from this distance off in the cosmos.

They are ‘star theologians’ concerned only with what lies beyond, and care little for what happens in the system around them.

In their vast libraries are hordes of information about the galaxy beyond. Known by some as ‘the watchers’ or ‘the viewers’ The Sect are few in number, only around 1000 still live and breathe, and 99% of these are monks that reside, work, and worship at the last great temple of The Sect - The Temple of Stars, found on an isolated mountain top on one of the Hestod moons (since it’s the furthest area out of the Luminous Zone).
>>
>>46809893
I agree, locations would give the races / religions / whole setting some important context.

I like that whole idea, feel free to add it to the doc I posted above if you want. If not let me know and i'll happily do it for you.

Did you want to source an image you think is relevant to Boom Town? I can save it in a file for locations, which I'll actually start up right after I post more of the races.
>>
>>46809906
[Digital guys we haven’t named yet - suggested name: Indicinum, since they’re made of data so let’s make a pun on the Latin word for information]:

Strange entities encountered within the Encephalon, comprised entirely of digital energy yet capable of projecting themselves into physical forms. Little is known of these mysterious beings.
>>
>>46809940
Elesheph: A race of beings that live inside the solar mantle at the heart of the Luminous Zone.

Believed to be the oldest race in the solar system, they have bodies composed of some kind of super heated plasma contained within strange magnetic shells, and yet give off very little heat.

Those who fall in battle are known to violently combust and explode as these shells are destroyed.

Excitable, inquisitive and easily distracted, and seeing the younger races as their siblings, the Elesheph are friendly and personable with the younger races and are often found in adventuring parties.

They have short lifespans, barely living 30 years before their plasma cools.
>>
File: STN_Overhead.jpg (91 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
STN_Overhead.jpg
91 KB, 800x400
>>46809925

Sure, something like pic related I imagine
>>
>>46809949
[Fungal space elves - name needs to be decided, maybe Cordians as a reference to Cordyceps, since, y’know, mind altering borg-fungus]:

These creatures are a collective of fungal life forms that take over willing host bodies and integrate them into a hive mind.
(More probably needs to be decided on these guys, we don’t seem to have much yet.)

Feel free to add some thoughts on any of these (especially the unfinished / fleshed out races like this one) brillian/tg/entlemen
>>
Zarnd: A race of beings resembling hybrids of humans and elephant seals with the horns of narwhals, natives of the same world as the Sepiidans who live on the polar landmasses of the world.

They are a culture of warrior-philosophers, killing because they believe they have the right to rule due to possessing a magical orb-like artefact known as the Mandate of Kings.

Whoever holds the orb, the tribes of the Zarnd shall follow.

Their magic is shamanistic and viewed as somewhat primitive, conjuring the spirits of nature and of dead Zarnd warriors to fight alongside them.
>>
>>46809991
Sepiidans: A race of aquatic beings from the world of [name not yet given], a planet 90% covered in water.

The race resembles cephalopods, but are masters of bioengineering and build humanoid shell-like suits of bio-armour to wear off-world.

Their weaponry and technology is also alive, with mantis shrimp hammers and assassin snail dart guns as weapons frequently wielded by their kind.

While they aren’t enemies of humanity, they’re less close to humans than the Moonkin.

They worship a goddess named Darwa, an incarnation of evolution and natural selection, and their powerful biomantic magic reflects their belief in the importance of biological supremacy.
>>
>>46809991
Moonkin: A race of bestial creatures found upon Luna, the first alien race that humanity encountered.

They are vaguely humanoid, but with a great deal more body hair, bow-legged and with strange elongated horn-like ears that allow them to sense strong magical presences, although how this sense manifests varies from moonkin to moonkin - for some it’s a smell, others a taste, others a strange humming sound.

They are well integrated into human society, although are referred to as Kabbits by those who dislike them.

Their diet consists largely of a species of rodents called Selene Moles, often served fried. They worship the moon, Luna, as a goddess, and believe that she grants them their magic, the power to weave her whispering voice and her silver light into illusions and charms.
>>
To reiterate from the previous thread, a note on the state of robots/golems/androids (at least on Eryia):

Robots and golems are very complex machines that can fulfill a number of tasks and can be relatively versatile. However, given the deep intricacies of android and robot design, putting together a fully functinoal and autonomous automaton can be expensive. A common shortcut in lower-quality machines is to convince a spirit from the Encephalon to inhabit the shell, becoming the proverbial "ghost in the shell" and making the robot function.

However, when an android is good, it's REALLY GOOD. The highest-quality robots may as well be human, given the way they interact with others and demonstrate emotion; such a machine would pass the Turing test with flying colors. For example, the particular android seen in this portrait is notably articulate, graceful and kind in mannerism. She carries herself almost like a ballet dancer. While naturally multifunctional and versatile, this one excels as a medic. In addition, she has otable energy projection capabilities. Those "wings" on her back can fold out and project energy to grant her true flight, varying between gliding low to the ground or soaring high into the sky, depending on how much her wings fold out.
>>
>>46810016
Humans: Humanity was born on the planet of Eryia, and travelled to space successfully just a couple of centuries after the first Runic Circuits were constructed.

A relatively young race, they are possessed of an optimistic, inquisitive and explorative spirit in general.

Their magic largely consists of harnessing energies and using them as tools and implements, whether that be a circuit of runes and lightning or a hurled fireball.

This magic is powerful, but sometimes wild and dangerous.

That's all the races so far.
>>
>>46800569
>>46810016
Actually, are we calling them Moonkin or Kabbits? Or is Kabbit like a racial slur (not necessarily racist) for a Moonkin?
>>
>>46810069
"Moonkin" is the acceptable common term. "Lunar rabbit" or "kabbit" is a joke nickname.
>>
When some of the doc anons and other contributers get online i'd love to start the debate / discussion of cities, and magic again. We should start fleshing out the races theological purposes as well as their histories and alignments in that sense. (not in the boring "neutral" "good" etc... I mean actual alignments to the world around them, things they like, things they hate, generalisations of course) we can also start creating some subcarriers / animals mayb that live on each of the planets?

old thread which discusses much of the 'magic' or 'runes' is here

>>46721200
>>
File: The Orz.jpg (23 KB, 480x300) Image search: [Google]
The Orz.jpg
23 KB, 480x300
>>46810006

Can we make them like these guys? Maybe drop the spooky cosmic horror part of them?
>>
File: Spiidian.jpg (219 KB, 725x1101) Image search: [Google]
Spiidian.jpg
219 KB, 725x1101
>>46810225
Not sure how we want them to look yet, that's not a bad idea by any means.

Some of the art from the old thread regarding Spiidans were (ignore file name, slight miss spelling)
>>
>>46810225
They're not cosmic horrors. They're shellfish who live in man-sized bio-suits of shell armor.
>>
File: Spiidian2.jpg (225 KB, 704x1136) Image search: [Google]
Spiidian2.jpg
225 KB, 704x1136
>>46810225
>>46810244

I like your idea though, these images just showcase the idea of the Spiidan's 'living bio-weaponry and armour'
>>
File: 1349571763071.jpg (341 KB, 1094x1400) Image search: [Google]
1349571763071.jpg
341 KB, 1094x1400
>>46810022
What other notable robutts would be out there?
>>
>>46810251

I should have specified: I didn't know there was art of the Sepiidans rolling around. I was thinking of having Orz Technology be a reference for Sepiidans technology. The Orz in Star Control II have a cosmic horror aspect to them. I did not want that aspect to be part of the Sepiidans.
>>
>>46809991
>>
Great to see others updating the doc, I'm unfortunately not here 24/7 and I'm probably in a different time zone to most of you. Anyway, any thoughts on the suggested names for the fungal borg elves and the data creatures?
>>
>>46792190
>>
File: Hombrewing your pirate game.jpg (914 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Hombrewing your pirate game.jpg
914 KB, 1600x900
>>
>>
>>46815915
There actually is a planned sci-fi game by the guys who did Lords of the Fallen (that German Dark Souls knockoff) in the Sark Souls style.
>>
File: 1361661239469.jpg (96 KB, 485x750) Image search: [Google]
1361661239469.jpg
96 KB, 485x750
>>46810022
>>
File: file.png (249 KB, 520x1387) Image search: [Google]
file.png
249 KB, 520x1387
>>46809463
Alright here is a quick sketch.
I was debating on wether or not to make her younger? Considering we've sort of bounced back and fourth between youngest and oldest child. So I just settled on some laugh lines.

Otherwise was considering adding "green cracks" to her skin to symbolize the deep jungly outcroppings in canyons.

I wonder if Venya would have polar tropics/oceans? Since its close enough that it wouldn't really have Ice would it?

Sorry I passed out last night
>>
File: Venya the Sizzler.png (52 KB, 1858x1241) Image search: [Google]
Venya the Sizzler.png
52 KB, 1858x1241
>>46816587
I figure the poles would be relatively temperate, if not very fertile.

Barring any sort of oceans or wind patterns or those canyons, I figure the climate usually looks like pic related.
>>
>>46817113
The lines are just there for emphasis, if that wasn't clear.
>>
File: file.png (235 KB, 1272x954) Image search: [Google]
file.png
235 KB, 1272x954
>>46817223
>>46817113

Its entirely clear.
And also entirely adorable.

Gonna try my hand at the Sect HQ, and also maybe some sect visuals. Mostly going off stuff posted in the thread and maybe some "artificial limbs"
>>
So, fellas, are we going to work on a system any time soon? I believe before we agreed percentile dice, right?
>>
>>46819280

I know a lot of people probably arn't fans of EP but I do like their rolling mechanics so maybe something based on that?
>>
>>46819558
Never actually heard of it, and I do think the general vote before was in favour of percentile. Honestly, if it were up to me I'd vote for the ORE. Always been a fan of that.
>>
I suggest a core mechanic similar to Dark Heresy's, only with more forgiving combat.

d100 with target numbers.
>>
>>46820558
d100 it is, I guess.
So, what attributes do we want? I'm in favour of:
>Brawn - physical strength, toughness
>Dexterity - hand-eye coordination, aiming ranged weapons
>Agility - acrobatics, stealth
>Fighting Skill - skill using weapons in close combat
>Intellect - logic and academic knowledge
>Wits - intuition and insight
>Charm - social skills and natural charisma
>Willpower - courage and psionic resistance/power
>>
>>46822112
*magical resistance/power
Got a little too DH for a second there
Although theoretically different spells could work from different attributes, like maybe humans use Intellect and Willpower, moonkin use Wits and Charm and sepiidans use Wits and Willpower
>>
I sort of would like to put forth D&D 5e as a possible system.
>>
>>46822192
>>46822112

I like this!
>>
>>46822112

Character creation

You get 80 Points to add to your Race's base attribute with a max of 20 per attribute.

Humans start with 20 across the board
So an example of spending would be
Brawn 20+20= 40
Dexterity 20+ 10 = 30
Agility 20+ 10 = 30
Fighting Skill 20+20= 40
Intellect 20+5= 25
Wits 20+5= 25
Charm 20+5= 25
Willpower 20+5= 25
>>
>>
>>46828412
So I'm imagining the place being a mix of shacks, prefabricated buildings, and a handful of gaudy buildings. You know, because the Boom of a Boom Town gets to different people in different amounts.

That and the odd Shield Generator.

>>46822112
I'm not sure how that sorta point-system would work for the Sepiidans, considering their whole armor thing. Could end up shoving all their stats into mental stuff and buy a HUGE GUTS armor.

>this talk about systems

Oh boy, the thing I know nothing about!
>>
>>46833689
Well, we'd also be giving each race unique individual traits, like benefits from which of the Kingdoms of Men or Houses of the Moon you are descended from. The equivalent for Sepiidans could be their armour types.
>>
bump because this project looks cool
>>
>>46833746
Speaking of which, what Houses of the Moon are there?

Like, off the top of my head could have one that jumped onboard the Interplanetary Society train when the first ships showed up on Luna, another that's more focused on the visions it gets from adding certain reagents to the viscous seawater and a hint of liquid moonlight, those MUH JUSTICE ones from earlier, and maybe one somewhat influenced by the Kesar due to an old Comet-State's visit?
>>
>>46836570
And for that matter, what are the other Eryian nations beyond Grailea and Al'Adul?
>>
>>46838962

I was thinking of stealing some ideas from another /tg/ project some time back. Long story short there was a project about these various mercenary schools and their origins. I love all of them but the two that could fit would be the Hounds who were basically ran by !Big Boss and they ran their operations out of a super massive land tank fortress and another was a overthrown monarchy who placed a super emphasis on purity of blood because of reasons so the noble famlies were allowed to bear their children the normal way while most of the retainers and servent houses had to make new members via test-tubes
>>
TIME FOR MORE TERRIBLE IDEAS

>The Mallatine Union
In the distant past, the peoples of Andris carved a nation of Cyclopean structures and flowering art from the sinking marshes so common to the region. When it fell to civil war and invasion, the whole of it sunk back into the muck, save the far-flung Mallan Province.

Spending centuries as nothing more than a rump state, fending off larger nations and ravaging nomads by submitting what remained of Old Andris' wealth, it would be easy to write it off as a lost cause.

...Until the invention of the Runic Circut allowed for great trails to be blazed through the choking wilderness, opening up trade routes and allowing them enough breathing room to start dredging old cyclopean palaces from the muck that consumed them. The Union has reclaimed much of the former heartland of Old Andris', and now turns its eyes at the stars.

TL;DR Vestigal Empire turned not so Vestigal

>>46839449
I kinda like them as the semi-recognized contenders for the Ruins of Palrod.
>>
>we came this close to having Knight helmets in WW1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjYLnDKbTTg

But actually on topic, I don't think we've really talked about HOW people get from world to world. Sure, we've discussed how it takes weeks to months, and that there's rockets involved. but not about the ships themselves.

Kind of a problem in a space setting, yeah?
>>
>>46844467

Solar sails m'boy
>>
>>
Some things to consider. Mostly just keeping the thread alive but here's my idle thoughts.

>How Rune Circuits Rule the World
>Rune circuits influence everything. No gears, pistons, or any real mechanical parts. Everything is just overlapping/Slapped together/Interlocking/Floating plates and spheres with lines all over them. Why would one need cogfaggotry when one can create a perpetual motion device via magnetic runes or something

>It would look like Tron+Forerunner+Prothean+Destiny(Vex+Hive) with 40k at the lowest level of technology. This would influence dress and armour as things would become exceedingly intricate and or bulky as that gives more room for larger circuits which can do more things

>Data would be stored on scrolls or record like things, with seas of data stored upon elaborate tapestries composed of trillions of runes

>Projectile weapons fucking suck at anything smaller than a cannon or a rail gun like device. Everything else would be wand like guns or railguns.

>The world is inherently about programming magic now, hard science technical terms are fucking absent.

>Rune circuits emit light. That's why the Luminous Zone is luminous and Eyira is a literal beacon
>>
File: alien priest by matteospirito.jpg (91 KB, 636x900) Image search: [Google]
alien priest by matteospirito.jpg
91 KB, 636x900
>>46787867
Larger version.
>>
File: Space-Station.png (2 MB, 1942x992) Image search: [Google]
Space-Station.png
2 MB, 1942x992
>>46849376
thats a little bit of a shameless repost but i'm okay. its keeping the thread alive.

Got a little waylaid by real life. and just had a little trouble coming up with a real solid defined design for things.

But here is a Sect temple on a Hesodian asteroid.

Nothing final. I hope to really make it more grandiose sometime.

Landscapes are my weakness as an artist.
>>
Backgrounds. These are selected at character creation that give you discounts to certain abilities.

Factionless

Socialite
Warrior
Magic Adept
Craftsman
Criminal
Explorer
Pilot

Race Specific
Human Rune Engineer
Moonkin Mentalist
Sepiidan Biourgist

Faction Specific
Grailean Knight
(need some more.)
>>
File: 1460943030609.jpg (840 KB, 877x1728) Image search: [Google]
1460943030609.jpg
840 KB, 877x1728
>>46851008
>>
>>46848854
Love it except for the No-Gun thing. I think we've established that guns are a thing, effectively taking the usual place of crossbows and longbows in traditionally fantasy games.
>>
>>46828412
>>46822112

What would you guys think of instead of making Melee and Ranged Combat a skill rather than an attribute?

They'd still be tied to Brawn/Dex/Agility as an actual task, but you must be actually trained in melee/ranged combat to perform the task without penalty?
>>
>>46853471
I feel that by having it done this way, we can have different firearms and weapons use different statistics and then allow for more diversity and uniqueness between them.
Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.