[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone ever made a MtG roleplaying game? I don't mean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Craw Wurm.jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Craw Wurm.jpg
32 KB, 223x310
Has anyone ever made a MtG roleplaying game?

I don't mean an RPG set in the MtG universe, I mean one using the rules of the card game as a jumping off point.

I ask because I started working on some rules last night, and I want to make sure that I'm not wasting my time.
>>
>>46774734
Also, if people are interested I'm willing to post what I came up with.
>>
>>46774734
>I'm not wasting my time.
kind of late to be worrying about that bro
>>
>>46774734
I'm rather sure that if someone has they would have posted it before, a lot. And people would give it a lot of shit as well, whether well deserved or not. So. God Speed OP.

That said, if you go through with it. Try and go with a more non-class system of things. A lot of characters in MtG don't fit in D&D classes well. It might be better to go with something more Fate-esqe and put things ontop of that to make it deeper.
>>
>>46775102
Yeah, that was kind of what I was leaning towards.

I've never played FATE before, but I was thinking that there could be different feats that would either let you directly damage opponents, improve your ability to cast certain types of spells, or buff your creatures. As you grew more powerful you gain more of them.

The main thing I'm having trouble with so far is trying to figure out how mana would work from a roleplaying perspective. What I'm thinking is that planeswalkers start out with a single mana bound to them, gradually gaining more as they "level", and so especially early in the game they need to use latent mana in their environment to cast more expensive spells. I'd like to make mana an environmental resource that needs to be managed (e.g., if the characters are fighting in a swamp then there's only so much black mana to go around), but I'm having trouble figuring out how to adjudicate this.
>>
>>46775292
Considering that's how magic works in MtG Lorewise, that would be the thing to do, for the most part. That's why you 'tap' lands. If you want you can have it that when you start out, depending on your character you get a 'Color' it can be one of the five or a split (Representing multi-color that can be spent on either color of those kinds of spells) and you get mana based on level based on those colors on your turn, with other, ambient mana being your 'colorless' for those costs. You can have it be a roll to see how much ambient mana is in a place and have it 'regen' a bit at the beginning of every other round. Some places maybe not regenning all of the mana, or some places that regen at the start of each round (Like pre-Eldrazi Zendikar.), I'd imagine that for a low level party casting at most 3 mana spells every other turn that 10-15 ambient mana would be the norm and overtime they'd rely on their own resources more then the plane unless they're going for an X cost ritural or something. At least, that's how I'd do it I'd guess.
>>
>>46775502
Ok, so maybe something along the lines of "roll a D20 to determine starting ambient mana, every turn X mana regenerates"? That sounds like a good starting point, I'll just put that on the back burner.

Lorewise, how does summoning creatures work? Because one other thing that I wanted to do was add a rule that if a creature is killed, it can only be summoned a number of times equal to Mana Cost minus the higher of Power/Toughness.

The idea is to encourage people to try to keep their creatures alive, develop some sort of connection with them, and also make overcosted cards not quite so shit.
>>
File: hoard of dice.png (249 KB, 400x480) Image search: [Google]
hoard of dice.png
249 KB, 400x480
>>46774734
A couple of guys from my playgroup say they brewed and tested a couple of sessions of a MTG RPG using the cards once. I haven't heard if they made any progress (although I doubt it; they're both very fickle and very overburdened by their jobs) since then, but I know for a fact that there's no way they've put anything to that effect up online.

This thread reminds me; I'm going to have to ask them about this next time I see them.
>>
>>46775684
Lore on that is a bit different. Most creatures are actually just faux representations of the thing. Like say for instance you summon a monastery Swiftspear, you don't summon the actual one. Just a copy that is given life via mana. Same goes for legendary creatures and planeswalkers. They are just copies of the ones you got to know. The better you know them the better the copy would be, in that sense. You'd have to know who Jazal Goldmane (Like had tea with the dude a bit) is or you'd just get some average leonin. At least. That is how I remember it worked. I'm guessing that is part of why Planeswalkers in story rarely summon creatures. The MtG lore threads are probably more informed on that front. You could just sort of do your own thing there though. Its not that hard and fast of a thing I think.

That said, system sounds good on that front.
>>
File: 33 - UF1Ct.jpg (140 KB, 1402x1024) Image search: [Google]
33 - UF1Ct.jpg
140 KB, 1402x1024
>>46776854
>you don't summon the actual one. Just a copy that is given life via mana.
Funny, I actually considered doing it that way.

I think what I'll do is have it be that they create their own version of a creature, and that will be there's unless it dies. I'm keeping the other things because I think they'll be good roleplay fodder .
>>
>>46775684
Sounds like commander
In terms of lore, a summoned creature is actually a copy of an existing creature shaped out of aether. Before the mending the creatures were actually pulled from their plane and bound to the summoner
>>
>>46776854
Planeswalkers are actually the exception to this. When you summon a Planeswalkers you are actually calling on a Planeswalkers you have a relationship with to come and help you. That is why you are using loyalty counters; it is the degree to which the Planeswalkers is willing to help you.

Btw OP 1d4chan has an mtg rpg system that is decent
>>
>>46774734
I really want to develop the same thing! If you have stuff written down, please share.
>>
>>46777189
Ah yes. I forgot planeswalkers were players as well technically. My mistake.
>>
>>46777189
Thank you for pointing me to this! A lot of the stuff that they have there are ideas that I wanted to implement as well. They did a great job with getting all the different races and planes down, so well done.

>>46777336
The only thing that I really would add is that I wanted to make mana cost a stat that isn't just prohibitive, but something that can be a boon in certain situations. I alluded to it when I talked about creatures, but I wanted to do something similar for the other types of spells. For example, making the mana cost of instants and sorceries the number of turns that they stay active for, or something along those lines. It sort of gives a reason for why people might use those spells and creatures in universe, and expands the number of useful cards that a player can have.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.