[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some more obscure miniatures games you like? Pic related.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: Ghar-Battle-Squad-600x315.jpg (50 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
Ghar-Battle-Squad-600x315.jpg
50 KB, 600x315
What are some more obscure miniatures games you like? Pic related.
>>
File: 2013-02-16 13.18.39.jpg (353 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
2013-02-16 13.18.39.jpg
353 KB, 1600x1200
>>46769950
People actually like that? All I ever hear about it effectively 'meh'. No strong commitment to it either way.
>>
File: batgroup.jpg (623 KB, 1170x1280) Image search: [Google]
batgroup.jpg
623 KB, 1170x1280
Does this count?
>>
>>46770454
It probably should, I've seen people picking up the models but never playing outside of conventions.
>>
File: IMG_20140404_193053.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140404_193053.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Pic related
>>
MERCS
Heavy Gear
World of Twilight
Bushido
Godslayer
>>
>>46769950
How does it play? The Isorians are making the game tempting, and the fact it uses units rather than individuals like Infinity is a selling point for me, but it is a British Game from Nottingham, and those tend to be all playing like it's 1995...
>>
>>46772985
Bolt Action in Space.
>>
>>46772985
It uses the order dice and pinning mechanics from Bolt Action(which I think are wonderful), but changes things up from there. It uses a d10 roll-under system instead of d6's, throws in some other dice for various things, units has a full set of stats(whereas in BA the only stat a unit had was their ranking which then determined how hard they were to hit and their morale).

I think it's a pretty solid game, if a bit fiddly at points. The core of the system is solid, though, and worth checking out.

I just wish the Algoryn skimmers hadn't come out looking so shit.
>>
>>46773059
Okay, now assume I have no experience with Bolt action. Does the wierd random activation gimmick lead to unbalanced turn structure? Like, is activating 2-3 units in row a massive advantage? And second- the pinning mechanics- am i right in thinking that it makes any sort of agressive playstyle impossible as it keeps you in cover almost constantly?
>>
>>46773165
My problem with it is that in a world of so many good sci-fi games, why bother playing yet another 28mm squad-based system with no real hook to it in setting or gameplay?

Or if there is a hook, why despite my asking since before it came out, and not just here, has no-one managed to come up with one? It's so painfully 'yet another X' game.
>>
>>46773273
"yet another squad-based system" is actually something that's been missing. For the last 5 years or so, literally everyone has been shitting out skirmish games out to try and get on that sweet Infini-wagon, while 40k has become pretty much the only squad-based SciFi around. Tomorrow's War I suppose, but it's more 15mm and purposefully almost without background to keep it a sandbox. So yeah, while perhaps there's one or two almost-dead games out there, GoA seems to be the only game in town if you want 30-40 models per side and not 40k.
>>
>>46772369
huh. That looks interesting. Is that some kind of... magical rioting simulator or something?
>>
>>46770059
I've read that the rules are good enough to proxy with other models

>my 40k models will finally see use!
>>
>>46773319
Kickstarter has shitted out more than enough "40k but better" style games and somme of those have even delivered. Maelstorm's Edge, for example.

As for my obscure games of choice:

EDEN
Helldorado
Deep Wars
Relics
>>
>>46773543
Not that I don't believe you, but outside of Malestrom, which you reminded me of, I can't name a single thing.
>>
I wonder what the hell ever happened to Mercs. One of my FLGS buddies was demoing it in early 2013, and I liked the distinct mechanical effects for outflanking and having high ground, but all I ever hear of it any more is off mentions by /tg/.
Probably doesn't help that I left that area shortly thereafter.
>>
>>46773273
I can only think of a few squad based sci-fi games at 28mm.

Warzone
Gates of Antares
Warpath

And maybe some people want a sci-fi game that isn't a bloated mess if bullshit like 40k, which makes GoA a good choice. Or maybe people like the fluff, rules and models so they play it. There are plenty of reasons people play it.
>>
>>46773328
It's a cyberpunk setting, the tiles are the only safe places a model can occupy and can be shifted and rotated by various abilities.
>>
>>46773601
Let's see:

Total Extinction
Afterlife
Warzone Resurrection
Alien vs. Predator
Terminator Genisys
Thon the game
Rogue Trooper

Not all these were success. Left out many that were too close to skirmish games (such as Dark Potential) and I'm not sure whether all of these are squad based (couldn't bother to investigate)
>>
>>46774409
Oh, and Warpath ofc.
>>
>>46774409
Wait, was Total Extinction ever released? Same with Thon, beyond some random 10 miniatures of heroes? Warzone is obviously right, and Rogue trooper probably, but I am almost sure AvP is a boardgame, not squad based wargame. Anyway, it does look more like KIA list than choice of games to play save for two or three.
>>
>>46774409
Problem is squad based stuff for 28mm is a big commitment with a marketplace that's being sat on by 40k. Models have got to be good, there's got to be choice, there's got to be a good visual style so it's not just 40k stuff, and production of the required amounts of miniatures isn't cheap.

It's really no wonder most of the equivalent rules sets are based on 15mm miniatures with the option of using 28mm, and that 28mm sci-fi is the land of the kickstarter'd skirmish game with a small selection of character miniatures.
>>
Well, I've never played it, but Helldorado has an interesting setting.
>>
>>46774619
Total Extinction got shafted by its subcontractor, if memory serves. But yeah, as with most Kickstarter funded games, after the initial hype dies, so does usually the game. Even if the company delivers the goods.
>>
Stargrunt ll is great fun as an alternative to 40k that actually has such things as "tactics" surpressing fire" and "cover that actually does something"

Song of blades and heros is your dudes: the game

I'm not sure if frostgrave counts as obscure, probobly not anymore

Dystopian legions, the skirmish game set in the dystopian war setting

Uncharted seas aka !not man o war
>>
>>46775192
I've been looking forever for a copy of SG2 or Tomorrow's War. Do you have one to share?
>>
>>46773603

Apparently it's actually pretty good, but it's kind of severely mishandled by the company that makes it. These are the same people who continually think it's funny to put their dog as a contributing member of the design team.

They've got a track record of kind of fucking things up, but they do deliver with pretty decent product once the initial failures are very prominently highlighted.
>>
>>46775372
I have mine is print, never found a pdf
>>
>>46775642
Shame. I'd like to try it before I buy it, but seems like nobody ever scanned it.
>>
>>46775372
SG2 should be available for free on GZG website?

And here's the other, uploaded ages ago by some kind anon: http://www.mediafire.com/download/orhpas4xo3dmc91/tw+-+tomorrows+war.pdf
>>
>>46775989
Thanks a bunch for that!
>>
File: image.jpg (744 KB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
744 KB, 1936x1936
>>46769950
I've been interested in Antares for a while. Picked up some Ghar Outcasts at Salute this year. Not sure on the rules yet but the models are lovely.
>>
>>46769950

Warzone Resurrection
Dropzone Commander
EDEN
MERCS
>>
File: Aerial-Battle-Group-2014.jpg (108 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
Aerial-Battle-Group-2014.jpg
108 KB, 1000x666
Dystopian Wars. If not obscure now, it won't be long.
>>
File: bigbattle2.jpg (826 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bigbattle2.jpg
826 KB, 1920x1080
>>46773165
>al gore
>boring into asteroids
>like termites
>dem bluddy orrible puns

Still, with Priestley on board, how bad can it b-

>proprietary dice

FUCK!
>>
>>46779649
D10 is hardly proprietary. And the "order dice" are literally just fancy chits you could replace with bottlecaps as they're simply action tokens, not for rolling.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.