[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So other than the Black Templars are there any other Space Marines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: SneakEntersTheThread.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
SneakEntersTheThread.webm
3 MB, 960x540
So other than the Black Templars are there any other Space Marines that worship the Emperor as a god?
>>
>>46753905
Does your mother know you're wasting hard drive space with awful webm's?
>>
>>46753951
answer my question bitch
>>
>>46754047
Every space marine
>>
File: 1458979676399.png (198 KB, 531x636) Image search: [Google]
1458979676399.png
198 KB, 531x636
>>46754128
Incorrect!
>>
>>46754047
Fuck you I won't do what you tell me.
>>
>>46754128
It's been stated that the vast majority of Space Marines don't view Big E as a god. That's why the sisters of battle don't like them
>>
>>46753905
Steel Confessors.

They have a holy trinity, Omnissiah is his spritual knowledge form, Emps is his physical form, and Ferrus Manus is his greatest prophet.
>>
>>46753905
Yes. A good number but still a minority. The Fire Angels, the Red Hunters, the Fire Hawks, the Black Consuls, the Star Phantoms, and a bunch more. I recall seeing a list that had been compiled and there were roughly 35 chapters.
>>
>>46754297
>Ferrus Manus is his greatest prophet

why the fuck would anyone believe that? Ferrus Manus was a low tier primarch
>>
>>46754337
Not to the Mechanicum he wasn't. And the Steel Confessors were made by the Adeptus Mechanicus in secret. However, when this was discovered, the Steel Confessors had to retake their vows of allegiance to the Imperium over the AdMech, but the culture still remained.
>>
>>46754304
Add to that the Adulators, the Angels Revenant, the White Consuls, the Doom Eagles, and the Red Scorpions.
>>
Don't the Spacewolves also? The Allfather?
>>
>>46754481
The Allfather is not a god. He is the greatest of warriors.
>>
>>46754517
But he has priests, or is Fenrisian worship more shamanistic?
>>
>>46754557
It's zoophilic.
>>
>>46754184
The SoBs are just jealous that they're not allowed to enter their boys-only club because they can't into gene-seed
>>
>>46754557
All chapters have priests. That doesn't mean they all worship. The term priest is not being used in the divine definition by the space wolves. Simply as an expert in a particular field.
>>
>>46754557
The tribes of Fenris are shamanistic, that's part of the reason between the beef between the inquisition and the space wolves.
>>
It really varies from Chapter to Chapter. By the 41st millennium there are very few Chapters that follow the Imperial Truth. But they don't all worship the Emperor as a god, either: it really depends on the individual chapter cult.

The fact that most Chapters are religious, even if they don't see the Emperor as a capital-G God, suggests that they see him as a man who became a god, or as a divine ancestor invoked alongside the Primarch.
>>
>>46753905
Word Bearers
>>
>>46753905
Alpha Legion
>>
>>46755109
We don't know that
>>
File: Mystery.jpg (33 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Mystery.jpg
33 KB, 250x250
>>46754763

This, probably.

The cult is older than "chapters" and has its roots in legionnaires treating their Primarchs as demigods who, in turn, revered their own Magical Space Father as - at least - the equal of any 'gods' the Warp could produce. Any Marine who didn't regard Emps as a living God would certainly keep their heresy to themselves.

This would have remained true right up to the Heresy.
>>
>>46753905
god what's wrong with his fingers
>>
>>46754337
BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT THE BEHEADED PROPHET INSH'EMPEROR
>>
>>46756550
>fingers

Trotters
>>
>>46753951
Spot the butthurt neckbeard.
>>
File: index astartes.png (506 KB, 242x1110) Image search: [Google]
index astartes.png
506 KB, 242x1110
some might

the majority don't
>>
Only the cool ones.
>>
File: consider the following.jpg (29 KB, 605x328) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.jpg
29 KB, 605x328
>>46754184
Yeah I hear what you're saying, but the problem is GW says one thing and then writes another. Astartes are supposed to strong independent marines who don't need no imperial cult, which is true, but they still act religious toward the emperor.

In pretty much all of the long form fiction about space marines, most chapters are portrayed as deeply religious. They constantly spout platitudes like "the emperor protects!" and meditate on muh emperor and have internal monologues about how good things happened and I wonder if the empruh done it. Chaplains are viewed as priests, and greatly respected because they're so zealous about the emperor.

So sure, GW *says* marines don't worship the emperor, but come on man, they totally fucking do. They're sucking his cock all the time. They just do it in their own way and disregard the imperial cult.
>>
>>46757748
The entire Space Marine concept is based around the idea of ascetic warrior monks. They worship Big E, just not as a deity. To them he's like the Buddha. Awakened, divine, enlightened, whatever you want to call it. But still just a man like the rest of us.
>>
File: codex space marines.png (615 KB, 492x1088) Image search: [Google]
codex space marines.png
615 KB, 492x1088
they're still deeply religious organizations, just in a different way
>>
>>46753905
I strongly suspect that all or most of the csm chapters see the emperor as a god, but don't worship
>>
>>46757849
fair enough, although I would say that's too much of a generalization. some chapters are more practical about this, while others, not just templars, view him as a bit more divine. there are several instances in some BL books like the ultramarines omnibus where the ultras attribute their success in battle or instances of insane luck to the emperor's intervention. that sounds pretty godlike to me.
>>
>>46757917
Psychic powers are a very real thing in 40k that every space marine will understand. Big E was the most powerful psyker in history, period. He doesn't have to be a deity to still influence events ten thousand years after being on life support.
>>
>>46753905
>/v/ versus PS4 games.webm
>>
>>46757933
at what point does "being a super psychic who knows all and sees all that can intervene in events on the other side of the galaxy through time and space" stop being "just a man" and start being a god though?
>>
>>46757748
Chapter cults are a thing. Every chapter has their own beliefs, practices, customs, etc. It is the job of the chaplains to oversee and upkeep these things.

But usually when we're talking about chapters worshiping the Emperor as a god, we're talking chapters that are members of the Imperial Cult, who have accepted the "good word" that the Ecclesiarchy spreads.
>>
>>46757970
Because the space marines existed back when that man went around telling people that gods don't exist. They were pretty big on that idea back then.
>>
Hey while we're on the subject, has anybody ever written any novels or fluff with the Emporer himself as the main protagonist, and how things looked from his perspective?
>>
>>46757973
>>46757994
I know all this. Still don't see how viewing the Emperor as an omnipresent being with intervention powers isn't placing him as a god by definition. Demigod? He's not "just a man" to anyone in the galaxy. There's no other just-a-man anywhere near his power level. He's vastly more powerful than greater daemons.
>>
>>46757970
space marines can spit acid and eat flesh to see someone else's memories

The Emperor being super duper stronk isn't going to change their mentality. He's always been super duper stronk. They've seen him when he was alive and well, or even interred in the golden throne's life support.

>>46758040
>Still don't see how viewing the Emperor as an omnipresent being with intervention powers isn't placing him as a god by definition
Because they don't worship him as one? He's their Buddha.
>>
>>46757970
In a universe as fucked up as 40k the only difference between a man and a God is belief. I mean, shit. If you're unlucky and born with an evolutionary defect you can have the literal personifications of emotion manifest monsters inside your head without your control. It's a weird ass universe where weird ass things happen.

The Emperor was all-powerful, omnipresent, and omnipotent, much like our own deities, but at the same time he was a human being. Some people choose to believe that Big E is deific, most space marines don't. That's all.
>>
>>46757604
Spotted it.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.