[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wqdt/ - Weekend Quest Discussion Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 20
File: WQDT.png (24 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
WQDT.png
24 KB, 700x700
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QM's. Posters looking for advice on tabletop games should look elsewhere.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/x6BqaJ7r
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you are a QM, simply post your Twitter here to have it added to the directory. Spamming your quest twitter with non-quest related tweets may result in its removal from the directory.

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics and politics)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anime)

>QM
What made you start QMing?

>Player
What got you started playing quests? What was the first quest you participated in?
>>
>>46738130
>What got you started playing quests?
Civ quests of dubious quality.

>What made you start QMing?
Escapism.
>>
>making a new thread right at the end of sunday
>>
I have another.
>QM
Why do you suddently disappear for 3 months without leaving any traces?
>>
>>46738329
>QM
Because I'm a terrible human being. Also because life tends to get busy and as much as I enjoy running quests, life takes priority. Begrudgingly.
>>
>>46738329
Anon, I...

Life. Life reasons. Life comes first. If I could QM eight hours every other night of the week, or even just for one weekend, I would.

I mean it.

But, life, y'know? It's the thing that doesn't go away even should you wish it to.
>>
>>46738329
Life. Life finds a way.
>>
>>46738329
> Why do you suddently disappear for 3 months without leaving any traces?

>without leaving any traces?

Because I don't get paid for this, and you're also kind of terrible, Anons. Some of you are alright, don't come to /tg/ tomorrow.

Seriously Chans are shit formats for quests.
>>
File: 1448861265303.gif (980 KB, 500x325) Image search: [Google]
1448861265303.gif
980 KB, 500x325
>>46738574
>>46738535
>>46738593
>>
>>46738739
>using tumblr gifs
>saving tumblr gifs
>>
Whoever posted that manga before I fucking love you this is great.
>>
File: 1410358487578.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1410358487578.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>46738759
>>
Planning to run Harry Potter and the Deadly Dungeons (tentative title) this week.

The ruleset I plan to use is Swords and Wizardry
>>
>>46738931
I've been considering running a HP quest. I'm torn between one set in Hogwarts or a Post-Hogwarts Hit-wizard or Auror theme. They'd play very differently, obviously. Probably, anyways.
>>
>>46738931
You suck and your quest sucks and I'll participate in it until you give up because I'm desperate.
>>
>>46738931
>>46738992
Ah, not saying that in an attempt to steal your thunder, by the way. Just as an aside.
>>
>>46738993
I am rolling up random dungeons and Jacquaying them to be less lnear
>>
>>46739020
The concept of this is essentially "What if Harry Potter were a 1st level D&D wizard?" in the vein of the B/X "Fellowship of the Bling" campaign.
>>
>>46739297
I can dig it. There's a good chance I'll check it out. If I run the one I'm thinking of it'll be quite different. For one, it's unlikely that Potter will be in it at all, or if he is then it'll be a brief cameo, and most of the other established characters will be more or less the same. The exception, of course, being several of the teachers if it's set in Hogwarts.
>>
>>46739297
This is going to be great. The randomly generated title of this dungeon is "The Tomb of Terrible Death."

I spent a few minutes rerouting it for better exploration, and a few more redoing some of the traps to better align with the theme conjured by the name.
>>
People, at the time I started writing, were not making the kind of stories I wanted. The few that did had a little twist, or do a little dumb gimmick which ruined the tone or went against the choices of the players.

Or worse: They would just disappear one day and leave me with basically nothing. Every quest I was reading stopped completely at one point or another. Of those, only one legitimately 'ended'.

I just wanted stories I could get invested in, so I made my own. That might be dumb because I can write the consequences to my own stories, but it's worked out so far.
>>
>>46739861
BRRROOOOTHHHERRR
>>
>>46738130

An autist's drive to built worlds and fuck around with religion and language. As well a profound lack of talent to do anything actually useful with those interests. Also I'm a sad sack of shit.
In other news, Cetic Monk Quest is going up in just a couple minutes.
>>
>>46738992
Run Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.
>>
File: press.png (433 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
press.png
433 KB, 640x800
>>46739861
>People, at the time I started writing, were not making the kind of stories I wanted.
>>
Not sure if players are wrestling with the choice or I went to far into the edgezone and everyone fucked off.
>>
>>46740356
Methods of rationality. I'm only passingly familiar with that. The suggestion I'm picking up from this is basically have a muggleborn that applies science to all of their magical lessons?
>>
>>46740356
t. Spacebattles
>>
File: sickened but curious.jpg (25 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
sickened but curious.jpg
25 KB, 500x374
>>46740444
What happened? I'm intimately familiar with the feeling.
>>
>>46740444
Questuim? Not Questium?
>>
So last near the end there seemed to some hate for the MC of shadows of zeon, did something go down? I'm only like 20 threads in I don't want waste more time if it shits the bed later on
>>
>>46740565
I made it up on the spot.
>>46740546
King is in coma, you are his bastard and captain of his guard. You just broke the news to his princesses. Put him out of his misery y/n ?
>>
>>46740655
If you are into really overboard harems, power fantasies, and the MC being Jesus in a Gundam setting than its for you.

I read it for a bit but dropped it when the MC fucked a kid, a decision the players had no control over since it was a 'drunk roll'.

The AU is okay though.
>>
>>46740729
Ah. Well. I can understand the choice paralysis there.

There's a lot riding behind that.
>>
>>46740812
Oh guess I don't need to read that quest anymore
>>
>>46740812
>the MC fucked a kid
>implying this is somehow a negative
>>
>>46740941
Not for me personally.

If it's for you, all power to you. You should check out the quest.
>>
>>46738130
>What got you started playing quests?
It was the most noticeable thing beyond DnD, 40K and other repeating threads
>What was the first quest you participated in?
Probably MaidQuest? I liked the episodic ADVENTURE.
>>
>>46738130
>What got you started playing quests? What was the first quest you participated in?
Three kingdoms quest.

RIP
>>
File: imperial noble.jpg (17 KB, 236x356) Image search: [Google]
imperial noble.jpg
17 KB, 236x356
>>46741070
We had one of these? I must have missed it. That makes me sad.
>>
>>46741103
Consider yourself lucky you didn't get invested just for it to end.

It was fun though. You can still read it if you want, just expect an abrupt ending.
>>
>>46740729
That's a really fucking big decision right off the bat.

Shit, my first few threads only have character defining choices and "where fuk u go/dafuk u want" choices.

I mean, I guess it's an interesting choice to give the players narrative control over what tone and direction the remainder of the quest will take immediately but still it's sort of intimidating.
>>
>>46741103
don't worry, it fell to hot blooded shonenry
>>
File: Feel mannequin.jpg (30 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Feel mannequin.jpg
30 KB, 640x480
>want to make a quest about my homebrew
>felt like since it was a big crossover, it'd be lots of fun
>was starting to imagine how fun it'd be to have the quest character running amok in the world
>since the homebrew had a rule that one character's action on anything affect the game's universe for all others, I was really excited to see what they'd do
>I'm not confident enough in my writing to do it
>>
>>46741901
>felt like since it was a big crossover, it'd be lots of fun
this is what concerns me.
>>
File: HUGE GUTS.jpg (476 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
HUGE GUTS.jpg
476 KB, 800x800
QMs, what were some stupid decisions your players made that you loved writing?

>"Okay, here's this drug that in order to work you have to light on fire and swallow it whole. It gives you a few stat bonuses, and here's some alcohol. It also gives you bonuses, at the cost of some minuses, and it's manly and cool to drink it. What do you want to take?"
>"WE WANT TO HAVE BOTH."
>"... Both at the same time?"
>"YES."
>their faces when
>my face when
>QMC's face when
>>
>>46738130
>>QM
I like writing, but I often get bored of my own ideas
>>
>>46741941
Well, to be honest, there's a bit more to it, but it all comes together when you get to see a Koopa protect itself from a super sayan's full power ki blast by retracting into it's shell.
It's got a shitload of stupidity and then some, but hell if it isn't a fun setting.
>>
>>46740812
The QM's stated his hatred for the MC and the harem hijinks on multiple occasions, most recently today, and at one point near the end of the original quest he even had his literal self-insert cameo killed by the MC. Even made the joke about it being "The Death of the Author".

It's actually a little surprising he didn't drop it altogether.
>>
>>46742007
My players are usually too busy trying to be clever to be stupid, but they instated mandatory orgies and a no pants law that informed some later plot points and I don't regret it
>>
>>46742007
to be fair, alcohol burns quite cleanly and quickly. You'd only get burns all over your insides as opposed to carbonized poisons in your gut.

>>46742087
>Koopa protect itself from a super sayan's full power ki blast by retracting into it's shell
concern intensifies. By 2 orders of magnitude.
>>
>>46742166
Here's the thing. In this world, you could as a player, choose to be a Koopa. Now why would you do such a thing? The reason would be that they have an absolutely invincible shell.
Similar stuff was put in place for most races.

There's a story reason too, and even though posting extremely end game spoilers for my homebrew here would probably do nothing bad, I still won't do it, just because I'm paranoid.
>>
>>46742087
What's next? Will Ranma make an appearance?
>>
>>46742383
I've never seen Ranma 1/2, so that's doubtable.
There's at least two characters named after anime I've never seen roaming the world, thanks to my friends though.
Pretty sure by now, they're pretty far from the character they were supposed to be at character creation, though.
>>
So I kinda disappeared completely without a word for about a week and half due to a personal crisis followed by university exams. I was only just starting out a quest, having done 3 threads. It hasn't been very long, but I feel like this place moves on really fast.

How likely is it that a quest will be able to resume again smoothly?
>>
>>46738130
>>Player
Archer Quest
Died at around thread 3 but ended with the MC exploding some huge berserkers dick with a kick.
>>
>>46742344
I'm sorry, but I just can't accept that kind of interpretation that is popular for crossovers. From my perspective, it takes away the core meaning from the character concepts and throws away any sense of immersion.

>>46742454
there's the other issue, as you are ultimately limited by the variety of media you have consumed, and I'm not comfortable with shoehorning in a character that other players haven't heard of if I cannot translate the core aspects that make that character's themes meaningful.

But do as you like.

>>46742603
a week and a half is not long. Perhaps long enough if your quest did not have impact to the players participating, but there is still hope. Run it quickly, or your chance will soon disappear.
>>
>>46742603
Instead of asking us why don't you tweet out your return and see how many people come back.

Also don't go goddamn radio silent if an unexpected hiatus comes up. It takes like 10 seconds to give your playerbase a heads up.
>>
>>46742648
Isn't a Koopa actually invincible while in it's shell?

I mean, I do throw out character concepts entirely for other shit, like Dimentio actually being some random super powerful guy pretending to be him., The hadouken being one of if not the strongest move in the whole game and Bowser working a bit like a mob boss that hasn't forgotten about the princess but hasn't done anything about it in a while, but I'm kind of confident in the Koopa thing.
>>
>>46738329

I just wasn't having fun anymore.
>>
>>46742799
it's invincible in game mechanics, but if that translates to INVULNERABLE TO EVERYTHING FOREVER, and more importantly if that's used as a major plot point, I do not gain the same feeling of "awesome" that I'm sure you do.

Off the top of my head: gas attacks, a shell can't block that. Heat/energy? I know it can block a fireball, but the mario games are kinda iffy on continuous attacks like a focused beam cooking the insides of a container.

I understand that this sort of thing is fun for some people, so do as you like.
>>
>>46742799
>Isn't a Koopa actually invincible while in it's shell?

Mario jumps on them just fine, and that stops them. POW blocks knock them off screen, still. So clearly they're not immune to explosions.

I think blue shells and baby Yoshis are the only legitimate invulnerable thing in Super Mario World. POW blocks don't phase them.
>>
>>46742980
Now that you're pointing it out... I don't think it actually blocks mario's fireballs while in it's shell. Not in any mario games.
Oh well, it's not like my game takes place in mario games
>>
>>46742799
You do know Newgrounds already exists right
>>
So, is this all too weird a setting for /tg/?

Vegeta is currently in a team with a PC, what remains of the ginyus are on another team with other PCs, tons of other PCs i'm too lazy to list, but they all have teams, powers and inventories.
There are tons of 'off' characters that are from anime or video games, but aren't quite themselves, either from different experience or simply being incorrectly created by an unknown force.

Seeing the reactions I got so far, this is not the kind of stuff y'all want to play, is it?
>>
>>46743237
How old are you?
>>
>>46743237
>Vegeta is
I tapped out
>>
>>46743237
Not for me personally, but you might get people.
>>
>>46743237

This doesn't sound like a great fit for /tg/, to be honest. A mash-up of a few settings is one thing, but this sounds dangerously close to Mahou Shonen Quest levels of self indulgence.
>>
>>46743237
There have been DBZ quests, 3 concurrently running at one point a few months ago.

If it means anything to you, there's also been jojo quests and such.

But I haven't personally been to any of them. They probably don't hang out in wqdt.
>>
>>46743250
>>46743251
>>46743259
>>46743306
>>46743355
I've figured it wouldn't work as well in quest form.
Guess I'll just keep it to the table.
>>
Healer quest-pitch guy here

I swear I will make it someday. I really do.
>>
>>46743484
you fucking better you tentatively glorious motherfucker
>>
Gonna start up Atelier Quest in a few weeks. You're an alchemist helping to get a border town back on it's feet after a war. Make potions, bombs, weapons, food, build your workshop, make friends, have a good time, shit like that.

I'm an artfag, so I'm trying to make some stuff that would be fun to augment the experience. A lot of my aesthetic for this particular quest is journal-ey type stuff, like performing alchemy from recipe books, finding plants from field manuals, shit like that. Pic related, but not my work. I'm wondering if anybody has good recommendations for other tabletop systems that have cool artbooks that go with them, Monster Manual type shit but for worldbuilding? Or hell, even just cool Monster Manuals that aren't commonly known
>>
File: 1450242179376.png (296 KB, 850x1100) Image search: [Google]
1450242179376.png
296 KB, 850x1100
>>46743554
>journal-ey type stuff
I would like this very much.

But the closest I've got to that are these adventurey cards that someone dumped a while back.
>>
File: Vast tracts of land.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Vast tracts of land.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
Looking for some advice on a new quest starting up soon.

If you run a Quest based in an established setting how much opportunity should you give your players to screw around with the plot? In this setting even minor changes could send everything off the rails, but I don't want to shoehorn the players into abiding by the plot. Especially because plot-wise their homeland gets fucked up.
>>
>>46743976
Depends, is it the same universe with the same characters or a spinoff?

Either way, the answer is to reject useless meat
>>
>>46743976
If you're going off-canon, make that clear.

Some would suggest not interacting with canon characters at all so you don't get mired in "THIS CHARACTER WOULDN'T DO X ACTION".

Other than that....WHY is it important to use the established setting and not just serial numbers filed off?
>>
>>46744128
>Other than that....WHY is it important to use the established setting and not just serial numbers filed off?

Not him, but brand recognition to get a playerbase easier is one reason. Less world building required, making it easier for newer QMs and writers to get into QMing is another.
>>
>>46743976
ayy ho, you starting that Alterac quest up famalam?
If so, let the players wreck canon.
>>
>>46744206
Were you attempting to write English, anon?
>>
>>46744325
Da grammar wyte man tryna keep us down

Seriously though, if I am a newbie at questing and want to keep stuff fluffy but not too crunch heavy, how do I go about it?
>>
What are some good names for Harry Potter meets D&D?

Harry Potter and the Lethal Labyrinths
Harry Potter and the Deadly Dungeons

Beyond those, I'm rather stumped.
>>
>>46744398
Harry Potter: The Dungeoning
>>
>>46744385
Don't have much crunch? You as the QM have control on how many mechanics are in place in your quest. If a mechanic is unnecessary, don't include it.
>>
>>46744398
Terrifying Towers?
>>
>>46744398
Harry Potter and the Dragon Dungeoning.
>>
>>46744420
I have never been a QM before and my understanding of mechanics is shaky at best.
>>
>>46744398
Hogwarts and other Hogwash
>>
Rolled 54 + 10 (1d100 + 10)

>>46744495
Try d100s best of three with modifiers in place that are positive or negative depending on the situation.

Example for combat scenario.
>Roll 1d100 + 10 (+20 Holy Weapon vs Undead, -10 Swamp hindering mobility)

Pretty simple system that you can adapt to anything that you feel needs a DC.
>>
>>46744495
I prefer the 3d10 system, it has various ways to do it.
>>
>>46744495
Go and be a player in an active quest before you QM. It'll help.
>>
>>46741901
>>felt like since it was a big crossover, it'd be lots of fun
Try Spacebattles.
>>
File: settingmaker.png (251 KB, 1597x1178) Image search: [Google]
settingmaker.png
251 KB, 1597x1178
>>46744529
I approve.
>>
>>46744738
But you can't write anything more than PG-13 unless you're a mod, then you can write rape and gore to your heart's content as long as it is presented in a "negative light"
>>
Anybody remember the Deltora series of books? I've been thinking it'd be cool to do a quest based in the that world.
>>
>>46744398
Harry Potter: It Ain't Me in Fantasy Fucking Vietnam
>>
>>46744551
huh, thanks.

>>46744608
I will look into it.
>>46744671
Oh, I have done that before.
>>
>>46743545
Don't worry. I have the first post written, even.
>>
>>46745167
Just write it man, I bit the bullet half-cocked but I don't regret it at all.
>>
>>46745206
to be fair, I've got enough material to write the starters of 2-3 different quests, but I never have any 6-8 hour chunks of free time.
>>
>>46745245
Bullshit, just do it when you get home from work/school one evening.

Shit do it on the weekend or friday, I have a hard time believing you don't have any time.
>>
>>46745268
there's this thing called homework, anon. And fear of failure, I suppose.
>>
>>46745312
And you have Homework due on Friday evening?

Stop making excuses and do it
>>
File: 12133523414.jpg (50 KB, 500x564) Image search: [Google]
12133523414.jpg
50 KB, 500x564
[Next lewdbin is about halfway done. Should be ready later this week, workload permitting]
>>
>>46745206
>Just write it man, I bit the bullet half-cocked but I don't regret it at all.

I should, but I'm Running other quests at the moment and will get to it when time frees up.

Hopefully soon. Hopefully.
>>
>>46743484
Well you better hurry, because when my quest wraps up I'll be writing a quest where you play the party healer/support for an adventuring group.
>>
>>46745461
Keep me posted on how that goes.
>>
>>46745513
It'll be a long time. And knowing my players the MC will be a huge cumdump.

Please beat me to the punch so I have an excuse
>>
>>46745437
AM?
>>
>>46745586
Nah, he didn't tell the other QM that he needs to read Ruby Quest to be a QM.
>>
>>46738329
I had a freakout over being doxxed. I got over it and came back though. I felt super guilty about abandoning my players who have always been so nice to me.
>>
>>46745646
How do you go about being doxxed in the first place? Did you let slip a little too much personal info?
>>
>>46745646
I've never been concerned about being doxxed. I've mostly kept shit out of my internet anything. The worst that would happen is that people would figure out what country I'm from, from what times I run and such.
>>
>>46745561
Well, I'll try to get it started before that happens.
Chuckles, right?

>>46745586
Different QM.

Also I'm still not sure if I should make it final-fantasy based. The only reason I would want to right now is because of the huge number of images I could use.
>>
>>46745695
I don't think you'll want flat JOB CHANGING in the quest at least, too gamey. But it's not like FF-based really means anything when the settings all vary so much.
>>
>>46745666
A certain QM was found out to be a lesbian camgirl. Not sure if same poster.

Remember not to get too detailed about your personal life, people.
>>
>>46745732
Oh of course not. If anything I would just use the jobs and nothing more.
>>
>>46745620
What an arrogant cunt.
>>
Does anyone else get frustrated when a QM screws the MCCAIN even when you roll/vote as weĺl as possible?
>>
>>46745970
if you're talking about cats, then I thought it was okay.
>>
So Hoboking from Hoboquest is alive and PapaN s rebooting Heretical Love quest with a sequel.

Are the golden days of questing coming back?
>>
>>46746104
>So Hoboking from Hoboquest is alive and PapaN s rebooting Heretical Love quest with a sequel.
Literally who?

>Are the golden days of questing coming back?
Not yet.
>>
>>46746160
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/21008795/

This guy.
>>
>>46746185
Literally a who?
>>
>>46746218
Why must you ruin my happiness anon? I still love you though.
>>
I wanna be the QM guy from a few weeks back with a question.

I've noticed that every JoJo quest I've seen puts the player in a JoJo or Zeppeli equivalent, but would people be interested in playing someone more akin to Hermes or Koichi with either no JoJo equivalent or an indirect one akin to 4/6 Jotaro?

Is it bad that I got spooked into doing a fanfic quest instead of an original setting?
>>
>>46747087
>I wanna be the QM guy from a few weeks back with a question.
Then good luck with that.
>>
>>46747087
>>Is it bad that I got spooked into doing a fanfic quest instead of an original setting?
Yes
>>
Should I run my new quest today/tomorrow or next weekend? What do you guys think?
>>
>>46748436
Do it while you're still motivated
>>
You hear that, Zach? I want to start a Deadly Premonition quest.
>>
>>46749300
It had one good character and you're going to butcher trying to bring that one good character to life don't do it you suck.
>>
File: Spookbuster.png (77 KB, 542x535) Image search: [Google]
Spookbuster.png
77 KB, 542x535
>>46747087
>Is it bad that I got spooked
Yes.
>>46748436
Whenever you have most time.
>>
>>46749919
>Whenever you have most time.
I'm a NEET so that's whenever...
>>
Has there ever been a good crossover quest?
>>
>>46750593
yes, but largely not serious.
Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.