[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls Board Game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 21
File: vs dancer.jpg (484 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
vs dancer.jpg
484 KB, 1440x1080
neat

http://www.polyhedroncollider.com/2016/04/dark-souls-board-game-preview.html
>>
Might be good, but I'm more interested in the storytelling and evocative setting of Dark Souls and eliciting that feeling of melancholy exploration than I am in the boss battles (which are also mostly fun). Since he said that's what was lacking from the preview, this isn't doing much for me.

I'm also concerned about the economic and space requirements of a game with not only 10cm figures but a different deck for each.
>>
>>46729382
Eesh, that preview confirms I am only getting it for the miniatures because that gameplay sounds exactly what I feared: hard because of rng bullshit rather than needing a good interplay of control and planning.
>>
>>46729642

I'd guess it's much the same as Kingdom Death, which is much the same with different decks for large monster figures.

I'm wondering if you could play this on a large board cluttered with terrain, it could be a great cooperative skirmish game.

I'll probably only invest for the minis, though. There's some I absolutely would love to own without having to sculpt them myself, and they can be useful in other games.
>>
File: 533-2-1424803313.gif (288 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
533-2-1424803313.gif
288 KB, 300x300
>>46729382
NITO MODEL WHEN?!
>>
I just want the miniatures. I guess I would consider using it for one my prospective campaigns which is based on Souls, but I think it will work in D&D, and my players are vehemently opposed to new systems.
>>
>>46729382
It's not Dark Souls unless you can stand inside your enemy's square and roll every two seconds.
>>
>>46730508
This looks like it's based on 3, so might have to wait a bit
>>
File: B9UClSSCcAACIOK.jpg orig.jpg (298 KB, 1365x2048) Image search: [Google]
B9UClSSCcAACIOK.jpg orig.jpg
298 KB, 1365x2048
>>
File: OS.jpg (88 KB, 1000x581) Image search: [Google]
OS.jpg
88 KB, 1000x581
>>46730508
Nope, these were the first things they showed off.
>>
>>46731576
>>46731436
fucked up reply
>>
>>46731436
They've shown off Ornstein and Smough miniatures already, though.
>>
>>46731576
>>46731588
>>46731607
Both of those armor sets are in Dark Souls 3, though.
>>
File: 1458892378690.jpg (21 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1458892378690.jpg
21 KB, 400x400
>>46729382
>Dancer

Fuck that thing.
>>
>>46729382
To really capture skill based combat I think it would have to take a page from vlaadas mage knight.
>>
Goddamnit I'm trying to save money, but Dark Souls miniatures are like a siren song to me. Fuck.
>>
File: someone will defend this.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
someone will defend this.webm
3 MB, 960x540
will they include rules for getting killed by an attack that misses you by five feet?
>>
>>46734389
S H O C K W A V E S

But seriously, DaS2 was fucking awful
>>
>>46734436
It really was not a bad game, it just had to live up to das1. I played it first and really enjoyed it, but playing one later I realized it really didn't compare, but I still enjoyed it in isolation.
>>
I'm really disappointed by this. It looks like a generic dungeon crawler which misses out on one of the key points of the Souls games by including randomness. I was really hoping they'd do something interesting with the license, a new experience based on the same source material. The X-COM game really nailed that element, IMO.
>>
>>46734484
This is giving me ideas to make a fantasy skirmish game of around x-wing size where you play 2 or 3 or 4 guys and action cards and have to manage your stamina or something though.

That seems like fun.
>>
File: 1334011696278.jpg (433 KB, 666x1000) Image search: [Google]
1334011696278.jpg
433 KB, 666x1000
>>46734461
Dark Souls 2 was crippled by the whole soul memory mechanic and the lack of memorable bosses. It was still a fun game and I played through it a few times, but it just didn't have the longevity of DS1.
>>
>>46734558
>>46734461

I agree. I enjoyed my time with DS2, but a lot of the design decisions were really dumb (enemies stopping respawning and Adaptability being two of the worst IMO) and the setting just wasn't as evocative and interesting as DS1.
>>
>>46734558
I really enjoyed the design of some bosses, but their presentation was usually flawed and there was more than one moment where I was really upset by a certain design choice. Some bosses were really cool and well designed like the demon of song or freya or smelter daemon or the lamia dullahan but were often ruined by being terribly easy or being presented in a shitty arena and don't get me fucking started on bosses being used as regular mobs later on or the fucking double dragonrider and the dragon you fight in the first few hours you kill without missing a beat, and there were plenty of boring unmemorable bosses like dragonrider, the last giant (who you didn't fight for a pretty long time into the game by das1 standards) the old iron king, gluttony daemon ect.

I think it was however, overall a good game, it just suffered from having such a strong cult following wanting another game on par with the first.
>>
File: Smough_Concept.jpg (503 KB, 1280x967) Image search: [Google]
Smough_Concept.jpg
503 KB, 1280x967
>>46731576
Something about Smough's helmet head-crest irritates me, and I'm not sure what it is. Its not that far off the concept art.
>>
>>46734766
>gluttony daemon

Gluttony demon bugged out for me... he barely even tried to attack. Beat him without taking a single hit, wasn't sure if he even WAS a boss or just some miniboss thing.

That said, The Lost Sinner is a boss I'm quite fond of both fight and concept wise.
>>
>>46734461
Level design was trash though. And 3 is living up to 1 admirably right now so it wasn't an impossible task.
>>
File: 1398978015466.jpg (297 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1398978015466.jpg
297 KB, 1680x1050
>>46734766
Compared to Gwyn though, Nashandra was such an underwhelming fight. Like Gwyn wasn't some giant monstrosity you came to hunt, he was a fucking god with a sword that you fought in such an incredibly symbolic setting. When you fought Gwyn, you felt a real connection between Gwyn and your plight. In DS2 Nashandra just doesn't even compare. I didn't even really understand her significance until my second playthough.
>>
>>46735092
This pretty much. DaS3 is what I expected DaS2 to be
>>
>>46735092

I don't think Dark 2 generally has bad level design. It's just... I think Dark Souls likely has some of the best level design in any game, ever, and it used it to create such an interesting and evocative world. Dark Souls 3 is doing an admirable job of following in its footsteps, but I don't think it's quite the same level of perfection and artistry.
>>
>>46735003
Was he the one where you hit the overhead pot with an arrow and essentially instantly win?
>>
>>46735003
That's just gluttony demon being gluttony demon

He's a fucking joke.
>>46735215
>compared to das1...
there is your problem
>>46735232
>>46735245
My only problem is that it's REALLY REALLY digging hard into my nostalgia pockets, and if I wanted to play bloodborne I would.

Shit like Aldritch is just lazy.
>>
I think my problem with DS2 was just that it seems forgettable.

The only thing I really remember from that game is the DLC ice castle thing, because that was an interesting level with an interesting final boss, and the extra level was incredibly cool with the blizzard and the like.

Other than that, I can't really remember anything specific about it.
>>
>>46735454

The DLC was the strongest part of DS2, by far. Eleum Loyce was amazing, but I also enjoyed Shulvah and the Sunken King DLC. The Iron King was okay, but I found it less interesting than the others. With the exception of Sir Alonne, who was awesome. The Alonne Knights were one of the visual highlights of DS2 for me. I really enjoyed the idea of western style knights in plate using armour and swords inspired by a much more traditional eastern Samurai. It was a cool blend and worked well, IMO.
>>
>>46735274

Pretty much. The idea for the fight is that he chases you around and you knock down pots full of corpses to distract him and get your hits in. But it turns out he's just a lazy fuck and barely attacks anyways.
>>
>>46735499
Yea, that's how I felt as well. Like, I can go look up the levels and remember stuff, but so many of them were just so boring.

Like the whole cove with the ghost ship thing. It feels like it should be really interesting, but it just didn't have any really interesting enemies, or even a really interesting boss.
>>
>>46735650
I legitimately did not even notice the pots, and beat him even though I wasn't paying attention and got swallowed which removes all your equipment

again, joke boss
>>
>>46735744
What you don't like generic hollows and generic dogs and a boss who get's repeated as a normal mob like 1 level later?
>>
>>46735777
I did not. The prison was sparse as hell as well, with a boss fight that just felt bland.

Hell, even their deep level was boring as hell, now that I think about it. The most annoying part was just smashing all the damn statues that spat poison, once you found out you could set the pools on fire none of the enemies posed any threat at all.
>>
>>46735853

Did you play base DS2 or Scholar?

I played it for the first time recently, so I picked up Scholar of the First Sin. It was still okay, not great, but apparently Scholar is a significant step up from base DS2.
>>
>>46737285
Base, I think. I did all three DLCs, I know that, but if Scholar was after that, then I didn't do it.

Like, I don't regret my time playing DS2. But I've played every game in the series, staring with Demon's Souls, and it's the only one I really don't remember anything more than patches of. It just didn't leave a presence like the others did.
>>
>>46734525
I'd play that desu
>>
>>46737363
And I'd play you
>>
I really like the lore about the Ivory King. He has a great king who redeemed a woman made from the merest fragment of Manus with his love. Best king, best knight.
>>
It feels vaguely relevant, so I'll post it here. Upon hearing about a Dark Souls boardgame, I had my own idea/pitch for a more interesting tabletop take on the Souls universe.

Dark Souls: The Game of Lords. Each player takes the role of a primal Lord, possessing one of the Great Souls that let them shape the world in their image.

With the power of your Lord Souls, your weapons, your arts and your skills, you shape the world in your image, erecting mighty fortress, empowering your followers and putting your mark on the world... But always, The Fire Fades, taking more and more of your might to maintain.

I like the idea of it being a mix of Cooperative and competitive gameplay. All the Lords need to work together to face off great threats, yet each also has their own agenda, driven by their Lord Soul to fight for a certain goal.

To change it up, however, I'd add in extra races and 'classes' of Lord, although I think you'd have to keep the four Lord Souls set, Light, Dark, Life and Death.

The core 'Races/classes' (with better, more Souly/lordly names) would be Knight/God (Gwyn), Witch/??? (Witch of Izalith), ???/Undead (Gravelord Nito) and Renegade/Human (The Furtive Pygmy).

Extra options would be Dragons and Giants for races, among others, and more 'classes' like Sorceror, Cleric, Barbarian, etc. I feel like it could be cool, building your own fading world anew, creating the cities that will eventually fall to ruins, raising up lieutenants who will eventually go mad or otherwise become bosses for the eventual chosen undead to struggle against.
>>
>>46737559
so Risk with actual game design? I'd buy it
>>
File: 56pyEog.gif (300 KB, 350x464) Image search: [Google]
56pyEog.gif
300 KB, 350x464
>>46737408
>>
>>46737585

I was thinking more economic focused than Risk, although war and military might would of course be a part of it. I just think it'd be interesting to also do the side of Souls games we don't see, the rise of great kingdoms and the creation of all these fabulous cities we only see after they've fallen to ruin. It'd also be interesting to try and capture the essence of the Souls games in a very different format, that struggle to succeed and the inevitably of defeat on a much grander scale.
>>
>>46737762
that doesn't sound like a board game.
>>
>>46738087

Why not? There've been board games that cover the scope of human history or the lifespan of a fantasy world. A game of the rise and fall of a cycle of Lords wouldn't seem outside the realms of feasibility.
>>
File: 1460610914221.jpg (169 KB, 705x1133) Image search: [Google]
1460610914221.jpg
169 KB, 705x1133
I'll pledge of I can get this guy as a scale model miniature.
>>
>>46738221
what you're describing sounds a lot like Small World.
>>
>>46738248
waifukiller/10
>>
>>46738266

It'd certainly be worth taking some ideas from, although I'd possibly tend towards something less straightforward. Small World is a great game, but it's very focused towards the broad strokes, while I'd want to tell a more detailed story of a single age of fire.
>>
>>46729382

Sounds like a completely awful dicefest.
What a shocker.
>>
File: zorg.jpg (22 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
zorg.jpg
22 KB, 400x300
>>46737585
>so Risk with actual game design? I'd buy it

It's called Risk Legacy.
It is everything you hoped and dreamed for.
>>
>>46739140
But Risk legacy is fucking terrible?
>>
>>46739140

Risk Legacy is fantastic... And thinking about it, you could actually incorporate Legacy mechanics into that idea.

Each game is a new Age of Fire, with remnants of the last still lingering in the world, but the Lord Souls passing to new vessels. Great events might mark the map permanently, like the sparking of the Chaos Flame or the touch of the Abyss.

>>46739344

Risk Legacy is the best version of Risk that exists. If you despise Risk utterly, I can understand not liking it, but it takes a generally underwhelming set of mechanics and makes them compelling through gameplay innovations and the sense of progression as you shape your own wartorn world. Pandemic Legacy is a step up though, since it adds the same bells and whistles onto a set of actually good mechanics.
>>
>>46739344

Risk Legacy is fucking awesome.
You're just mad because you don't have any friends to play it with.
>>
>>46739412

Because I played Risk Legacy with them.
>>
>>46739387
>Risk Legacy is the best version of Risk that exists.
That's like saying a shit smear is better than spraying the wall with diarrhea. It's still shit and it's still not even trying to get into the bowl.

We get it. You guys think magic markers are an amazing game innovation and your "dick city" is le ebin maymay levels of funny.
>>
>>46734525
X-wing movement templates and attack templates, no dice at all.
>>
>>46740302

So you know sweet fuck all about how Risk Legacy works then? Good to know you're talking out of your arse based on a dislike for a related gut distinctly different game.
>>
>>46740563
Making Risk based on VPs shortens the game greatly, but it's still Risk at it's core. Monopoly would be better if it played in 15 mins, but it wouldn't be good.
>>
>>46740433

I've been playtesting an orbital combat game a lot like that.
>>
>>46740302
>>46740714

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

But it's wrong.
>>
Don't give a shit about the game and won't play it
Will pay whatever they want for the minis because I am a big idiot
>>
>>46729382
Yeah that's just what this fucking board needs, another excuse to talk about that trash
>>
File: 1458569134174.gif (2 MB, 400x332) Image search: [Google]
1458569134174.gif
2 MB, 400x332
so how would they handle Invasions?

>playing with your friends at the Tabletop game shop
>you and your friends having a good time
>yfw suddenly some asshole comes to your table, takes a seat and pulls out his red mini
>>
>>46742543
Wow anon, you don't like a popular thing!

You're so fucking cool oh my god
>>
>>46742939
>tfw his shitty giantdad build dies to your max bleed Lord's Blade flip ninja shenanigans.
I don't even need a friend.
>>
>>46743084
So I'm looking the way the rapier looks in DS3, are there any good builds for them?
>>
File: catarinaonion.png (2 MB, 800x735) Image search: [Google]
catarinaonion.png
2 MB, 800x735
>>46738248
Its pretty likely with all the kickstarter rewards and stretch goals that are bound to happen. I'm also hoping for onionbro or Creighton.
>>
I wouldn't mind the dice too much if it was strictly an opposed role sort of thing where "did the parry hit or no"
>>
I will pledge if I get miniatures, honestly don't really care about the game itself

I want an astora knight mini for a PC
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 400x271) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 400x271
>>46729382
When will we know a release date? I need this day 1.
>>
>>46744284

I'd be fine with an Artorias mini, myself.
>>
Bed of chaos model when?
>>
>>46744536
I would like that just so I could light it on fire and smash it with a hammer
>>
>>46744536
can I put my dick in it?
>>
>>46744778
You can put your dick in anything if you make a hole
>>
>a game that relies in visual effects to create a false sense of difficulty becomes imagination-oriented
Sure fail ahead.
>>
>>46749486

wat?
>>
>>46749495
I think he's saying the games wouldn't be as hard without all the flash hiding the hitboxes.
I don't agree.
>>
>>46732031
I sure will.
>>
>>46749564

I find that hard to wrap my head around. Basically every other action RPG I can think of has more flash and shit going on. Dark Souls is incredibly minimalist by contrast, and the animations and tells are really well designed. Well, less so in DS2, the hitboxes in that were ultra-jank. But DS3's seem fantastic so far.
>>
>>46749772
The hitboxes in DS2 aren't jank. What's going on is that the hurtbox for your roll stays where you rolled from until the animation is completed, so if the roll is past the i-frames but not complete, the attack will hit you anyway.
>>
>>46749772
Also, I think he may have meant to say that the game isn't all that difficult, and most people are wowed by the amazing art direction, but had a stroke in the middle of his post.
>>
Cancer

>hipster meme game for TRUE GAMERS
>turned into entry level boardgame for all the psp licking casual game journalists to play
>>
>>46749928
>game for TRUE GAMERS
No one claims that except the people who don't like the difficulty.
>>
>>46749890

I feel like statements about Dark Souls difficulty go wildly off the mark in both directions. It isn't impossibly hard, but it isn't an easy game either. It's a very well crafted experience, IMO, which will challenge you and kill you, but gives you all the tools necessary to improve and figure out how to approach the situation more effectively and do better.
>>
>>46750043
>It's a very well crafted experience,
>Max your stats and decrease load so you can maximize invulnerability frames during quick roll.
>If you know how to play the game well, you literally run through most of it without weapons or armour on because why bother wasting time.
Don't get me wrong now, I've pumped 200 hours into ds1 alone. But it's more about mastering some simple and kinda broken mechanics.
>>
>>46750109

Y'know, I've never done any of those things, and I get the feeling I have more fun as a result.
>>
>>46734766
Whoa, hey guys, welcome to EB Games
>>
>>46749928
>>>/v/
>>
>>46749928
>"I can't take this straight sword out of my ass!"
>>
File: 1460434683143.jpg (10 KB, 226x250) Image search: [Google]
1460434683143.jpg
10 KB, 226x250
>>46750228
underrated
>>
>>46744750
I would put it together with a Royal Rat Vanguard model and a shitload of rats.
And then I would piss on them.
>>
I don't know about this game.

The point of Darks Souls was that the game is always tough as balls, but in most cases it is fair and just consistent with its difficulty. Success relies on you to get good at it and I don't know how that can be achieved in a dice based game.
>>
>>46752083
This is also my concern. That the damage dice has a non-negligible chance of coming up with nothing is pretty bad.

Also health/stamina mixed? Not a fan of that either.
>>
>>46752083
it can't

but dice lets "personality" memelords on Tabletop or SUSD play, make wacky faces when felicia day "rolls" a 1 and gurn at the camera and say "thats SO dark souls, try jumping lol"
>>
File: nito.jpg (474 KB, 2000x1132) Image search: [Google]
nito.jpg
474 KB, 2000x1132
>>46752083
I don't think many people here really give a fuck about the game, we just want some Dark Souls minis.
>>
>>46752800

Having a good game as well would be nice, though.
>>
>>46753088

Huh?
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.