[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rules Light Systems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9
File: eh.jpg (21 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
eh.jpg
21 KB, 500x282
Do you have any favourite 'rules light' systems /tg/?

Just a tired DM looking for a change of pace.
>>
>>46729017
I dig Dungeon World
>but the rulebook's huge
Write down the moves, familiarize yourself with the flow of GMing and really you can run it off the damn playbooks.
>>
>>46729017

I'm a fan of Dungeon World and whatever hacks you feel like throwing in or adding to it plus homebrew for the mechanics and feel of your own specific campaign.
>>
>>46729017
Depends on your definition of rules light.
>>
>>46729055
>>46729040
Tavern Tales is a better Dungeon World than Dungeon World.
>>
Freeform
>>
Just hope your group likes such things. Some people look for rule heavy systems to actually play the rule heavy system and see what happens under it. D&D players are usually guilty of this because older D&D systems had strange weird interaction between poorly thought out systems and even the GM might have trouble placing what exactly is going to happen, there's some thrill at the table of no one knowing what's going to exactly happen. Put those people in a rules light system where effectively it's GM ultimately deciding, Player ultimately deciding, or a very thoroughly explained core mechanic that everyone knows how it works and they get turned off hard.
>>
>>46729080
Seems pretty neat

Has anyone tried it out yet?
>>
File: Surprise, Fucker.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Surprise, Fucker.pdf
1 B, 486x500
The lightest system I have. Always good when me and friends are in the mood for /tg/ but just want to kick back and relax over it.
>>
>>46729017
Cypher System is pretty great.

Very rules light, still decent depth.

I have played a lot of it and never regretted it.
>>
>>46729080
Tell me more, please!
>>
File: 1.01.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1.01.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46729121
>>46729227
I've heard of some people loving it but I haven't tried it out myself. Here are the straight rules to it with no images, which is a shame because Tavern Tales has some fantastic artwork.
>>
I really like Barbarians of Lemuria.

It's good for people who want to play an over-the-top Conan the Barbarian-type game and don't want to spend several hours learning how to work the system and make a character.
>>
>>46729118
One assumes that his group is open to the idea or OP wouldn't have bothered coming here and asking for suggestions.

Anyways, in my experience, even the most crunch-loving D&D'er will learn to replace the thrill of "I don't know what's going to happen because the rules don't work" with "I don't know what's going to happen because the game's rules facilitate uncertainty towards my fate." I didn't word that very well, but hopefully you get what I'm saying here.

I guess the worst of both worlds would be a rules-light game that mimics D&D in a way that demonstrates that the author neither understands D&D nor rules-light games, like Numenera or whatever.
>>
>>46729416
>I guess the worst of both worlds would be a rules-light game that mimics D&D in a way that demonstrates that the author neither understands D&D nor rules-light games
Sounds exactly like Dungeon World actually.

I actually love *World games, but Dungeon World tries to add way too much needless crunch and completely misses the point.
>>
>>46729318
>3 d20s

Dropped
>>
File: Mini_Six_Bare_Bones_Edition.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Mini_Six_Bare_Bones_Edition.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Mini Six is pretty light with only eight pages of core rules. The rest of it is vehicles, monsters, magic, variant rules, and settings. Plus it's free.
If you want something lighter, Risus is always good.
>>
>>46729416
Nice baseless opinions?
>>
>>46729017

This is going to sound crazy, but GURPS can be played this way. Use GURPS lite, pointless characters from dungeon fantasy, abstract ranges from Action, and wildcard skills. What's left is solid but very light.

oWoD was designed for this. People condemn it for being an unbalanced, shit system, but that was a design decision to encourage rules light play. Out of the box, Vampire the Masquerade second edition-played with the players guide and nothing else- is a great introduction to role-playing itself and good role-playing behavior.
>>
>>46729512
>d6 system
>Mini Six
mein neger
>>
>>46729017
Anything *World (Dungeon World, Apocalypse World, Worlds in Peril, Monster Hearts), maybe FATE Accelerated, Strike! with core rules only, and I had an okay game with a skill-less Savage Worlds.
>>
File: Numenera cheat sheet.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Numenera cheat sheet.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46729180
I can support this. It's got one unifying mechanic that it uses for everything, the rules are pretty short, definitely rules light. I've never seen someone actually play it and not like it.
>>
>>46729017
My group's used Tavern Tales and had a lot of fun, and we're currently using Savage Worlds, which is may be too heavy to count, but compared to what we last played (Shadowrun 5e) it certainly counts.
>>
>>46729080
>>46729121
>>46729318
>>46729227
I played and ran it. Went awesome. Shame I couldn't run a full campaign.
>>
>>46729017
I'm a big fan of:
FATE
Savage Worlds
Cypher System
Basic Roleplaying
Apocalypse World hacks and variants
>>
>>46729318

Will take a look. I like expanding my library of PDFs anyway, so another one for the collection.
>>
>>46729017
Try Golden Sky Stories.
>>
>>46729017
I like dungeonworld, but I feel the GM needs to take a much more hands on approch that the book tries to lead you away from.
>>
>>46729161
>0 HP enemies die when the players say
they die. You don't even need to roll
I never knew how much I wanted this in a game.
>>
>>46729017
Barbarians of Lemuria is excellent for laid-back sword & sorcery fun with good friends.
>>
File: Old School Hack.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Old School Hack.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
Lasers and feelings/any of its reskins

That d2 system
>>
>>46729017
FATAL
>>
File: Dharma 6.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Dharma 6.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46729017
Fate Accelerated is pretty nice (and Fate Core's light on crunch, not on rules).

Dharma 6 is pretty interesting, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.
>>
>>46729512
I've been looking for a system like this. Thanks anon
>>
B/X Dungeons and Dragons.
>>
>>46741942
I've started reading through that lately. It's neat
>>
Are there any games that took DnD 4e's cue and made an amazing game?
>>
>>46743658
Strike's okay, but lacks clarity due to an annoying layout and a dire need for an editing process it never got.

Gamma World 7e is amazing. It's basically just a compact and streamlined version of 4e.
It's fairly easy to bash into any genre you like because of its presentation and the universal balance concepts in play thanks to it having 4e's guts.
Only big strike against this would be the card-based stuff it had, though you could easily treat them as static items and boons/feats.

I'm not sure there are any other games that ran with what 4e did that might also be considered a light game.
>>
>>46729443
SpecialK.jpeg
>>
>>46729017
PARANOIA

Lives and dies by the GM as most games, but the setting gives both GM and players plenty of gameplay options. A big part I love (and others may hate) is there is nothing really "static" in the setting: you want to change something, you do it.

Game theme: How zappy or straight do you want it?
Game mechanics: Open rolls? Closed rolls? Perversity spending?
Character knowledge: Full knowledge of their own stats? Basic idea? Absolutely no clue?
Character power: Usual game is low at RED clearance, but I've run it or seen it run anywhere from lowly INFRAREDs all the way up to ULTRAVIOLET.

You get the idea. But if it's a change of pace you're wanting, I can guarantee you'll find it here. Want a one-off silly game for laughs? Go nuts. Want a long game of catch-22s and (admittedly deserved) player paranoia? It's here too.

PARANOIA is Fun. Other RPGs are un-Fun. Play PARANOIA.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.