[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>cats have a unique interaction with magic What makes them
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 40
File: 1460209029744.jpg (50 KB, 690x690) Image search: [Google]
1460209029744.jpg
50 KB, 690x690
>cats have a unique interaction with magic

What makes them special?
>>
They do? They are?
>>
>>46711108
Cats are actually quite stupid. Why do you think they're hard to train? You need intelligence to remember and understand orders.
>>
>>46711245
You also need incentive. Most cats don't follow a pack or herd structure so they have no reason to respect your authority.
>>
>>46711245
Funny, considering that you're pretty easy to whip, and intelligence isn't your particular strength.
>>
>>46711108
When you kill them, they go to Egypt.
>>
Natural see supernatural.
>>
>>46711245
M8, unless you're trying to get them to do something completely pointless, cats are brilliant learners. Know how many lessons it took me to teach my cat how to open doors? A single lesson with a single demonstration.
>>
They act as the eyes and ears of the cat goddess, and all are willing to act as her vessel for a time.
>>
>>46711108
cats create an antimagic field, thats why mummies and magical constructs fear them.
>>
>>46711108
Strong draconic heritage.
>>
Egyptians.
>>
>>46711361
I got my Cat, which is the most glorious animal to ever grace this planet, to write down what I dictate in exchange for delicious fish.
>>
See invisible, an extra life every third level.
>>
>>46711108
Are you asking for ideas, or historical references?

Historically, cats have been associated with many different kinds of magic. They were considered to be lucky in the east (if they were multicolored) and all cats were considered to be able to see spirits in a way that humans couldent. Cat spirits were vengeful, but friendly cat spirits could bring great wealth.

In European cultures cats are usually seen as symbols of witchcraft and bad luck, but they are also sometimes seen as the servants of death, ensuring that souls go where they are supposed to go. This probably comes from Egypt, which has similar beliefs and the ancient Egyptians venerated them as creatures close to the gods (which is not so surprising, considering the domestication of cats basically saved their civilization from starvation).
>>
>>46711454
I think your cat should get less fish for adding his own opinions
>>
File: that cat.gif (599 KB, 245x184) Image search: [Google]
that cat.gif
599 KB, 245x184
>>46711245
Brent calm the fuck down
>>
>>46711108
They can see Death and Octarine
>>
>>46711108
Many can see the winds of magic, which is why so many self taught hedge wizards keep one. Though they may not always be able to clearly perceive their flow, their cat's reactions can provide a valuable early warning for when the winds behave strangely.
>>
File: Basically a cat.gif (25 KB, 600x263) Image search: [Google]
Basically a cat.gif
25 KB, 600x263
>>46711108
Everything a wizard aspires to be, a cat already is.

Aloof? Yep.
Mysterious? Yep.
Capricious and quick to anger? You know it.
Partial to towers? Always.
Greedy? Mmhmm.
Able to pass borders and reach places you thought impossible? That's a cat.
And, of course, they have no sense of right and wrong.
>>
File: Blofeld_Cat.png (132 KB, 280x330) Image search: [Google]
Blofeld_Cat.png
132 KB, 280x330
>>46711108
>cats have a unique interaction with magic
Cats are known to purr in presence of magic, and are known to be exceptionally friendly with magicians. A cat near a magical object will often rub its head against the item and lay on or near it.

For this reason, cats are used to help determine a child's aptitude for magic, and some have been trained to help identify objects as magical. For identifying potentially-uncooperative magicians in the field, however, dogs are still preferred for their obedience and their ability to sniff out common spell components.
>>
>>46711108
Like your average Wizards they're fucking cunts
>>
>>46711108
All cats are distant descendants of dragons. The bloodline is pretty diluted, so most of the time you won't get any real effects except for a sensitivity towards magic.

Most of the time.
>>
File: Dragoncat.jpg (161 KB, 1028x768) Image search: [Google]
Dragoncat.jpg
161 KB, 1028x768
>>46711700
Fuck, forgot my image.
>>
>Cats are Dragons

What's next you're gonna tell me Chickens are Dinosaurs?
>>
>>46711972
>not having great big feathery dragons capable of only short hops
>>
File: dcss murderhobo.png (93 KB, 415x422) Image search: [Google]
dcss murderhobo.png
93 KB, 415x422
>>46711479
i see what you did here
>>
>>46711108
Because Cats were favored by trickster and prank gods who thought it would be hilarious to teach 'non-sapients' magic.

The trickster gods knew they would regret this decision but felt it was totally worth it.
>>
Cats are regarded as magical even in cultures without any contact with Egypt. Certain native american tribes, for instance, regarded the Lynx as a creature of magic and wisdom. One myth has them burying their waste which later turns into gems. The lynx is only slightly larger than a housecat and eats deer.

Let's put it this way. Cats are perfectly in tune with themselves. Their senses are incredibly acute and their actions sharp. They have three modes - hunt (or play), eat, and sleep. Cats do very little else and food is one of the only ways you can motivate them to do anything. In other words a cats entire purpose in existence is to hunt and kill. In a given day a wild house cat might eat three mice. That's over a thousand lives every year.

If consuming your foes gives you their magical strength, then each year a cat would grow about a thousand mice stronger. They're endless little blood sacrifice factories that hunt, kill, and consume with voracious rapidity. Their spirit would be full of strength drained from others. And that's not counting birds, snakes, and other stuff they might consume - all of which could be considered to have their own magic. And they do it raw, consuming them in their most primal essence. This doesn't stop even if they're well fed and cared for - murder is their very nature. They don't want possessions, they don't want laws, they don't want anything but to be what they are.

Cats are cute and humans love them because they're fluffy and soft and purring is comforting. They look cute to us and invoke the same instinct we have when we see children. They see us as great big mother cats if we're kind to them. But nothing - nothing - will change their fundamental nature. Not anymore than something can change a human into something that isn't.
>>
>>46711331
This is the only good answer.
>Cat is looking at you
>Wait, cat is not really looking at you
>He's looking behind you, staring at something
>There's nothing there
>Except there is
>Cat knows
>Spooky ghost.
>>
>>46711108
DEATH LIKES CATS.
>>
>>46712772
>The lynx is only slightly larger than a housecat and eats deer.

Adult members of the Canada Lynx and the Bobcat varieties, which are the featherweights of the family, are usually between 30 and 40 inches long (the kind you find in europe and russia, the Eurasian Lynx, is not much longer but can have almost 3 times the body mass.)

That's some big housecat you got.
>>
>>46711108
Cats are mana sensitive.
If you ever notice a place where cat's don't sleep 2/3 of the day there's usually a wizard or natural source of mana nearby.

The superstition that cats are servants of wizards or witches comes from the fact that if you have one of those living in your village, the cats cause twice as much mischief because they're way more energetic and awake for twice as long.
>>
File: 1dkitten.jpg (24 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1dkitten.jpg
24 KB, 500x375
>>46711108

Their fluffituffs!
>>
They can see octarine, the color of magic
>>
File: 1365991513039.png (548 KB, 623x630) Image search: [Google]
1365991513039.png
548 KB, 623x630
>>46711479
my felid
>>
>>46711108
They say cats have nine lives, but that's only half of the truth. What happens when the cat ceases being able to resurrect itself? Why it's simply reborn as a new cat, complete with its old memories. The oldest, wisest of cats are grumpy and lazy know-it-alls. Some say cats are waiting for the right time to share all their acquired knowledge with humanity, but the truth is that they've become selfish and wish to keep it for themselves.
>>
File: 103.jpg (917 KB, 950x1422) Image search: [Google]
103.jpg
917 KB, 950x1422
>>46711108
Seems relevant
>>
Cats are a surveillance system for an extra-dimensional entity.
>>
>>46715124
guessing the C stands for cute

because he is cute as fug
>>
>>46715798

>Cats are a surveillance system for an extra-dimensional entity.

One who harbors an deep and mysterious interest in string, warm places, and birds.
>>
this thread reminds me of a little part in Luyanenkos night-watch books
That Cats can shift between different planes of reality like its nothing. Thats how they get in weird places or vanish from time to time. Like, if a Door is closed or locked in this reality, they just shift in another one were the door is open.
>>
>>46711632
>A cat near a magical object will often rub its head against the item and lay on or near it.
But they do that with LITERALLY EVERYTHING!
>>
>>46715888
I guess A is for asshole too.

Because that cat looks like a prick.
>>
They can FUCK magic.
With magical BARBED DICKS
A I I
R C C
B K K
ED S S
DICKS
C
K
S
>>
>>46713375
I had a cat that was 25 inches from snout to ass
>>
File: owl-06.jpg (1 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
owl-06.jpg
1 MB, 5184x3456
>>46711108
Small birds and rodents are rich sources of magical energy.
>>
They can see up to the third of the seven layers of reality.
The wizards wearing specially made contact lenses can see only to the fourth, and with spirits it kinda depends on its strength, honestly.
>>
File: Cat Hoard.png (251 KB, 508x514) Image search: [Google]
Cat Hoard.png
251 KB, 508x514
>>46711714
>>
Why do people like cats? As far as I can tell they are pets for lazy fucks who don't know how to care for another living creature. I don't know many cat owners though.
>>
>>46719334
Feline aloofness is greatly exaggerated. They're generally friendly, and can be quite affectionate if raised well, although not to the annoying degree that dogs can. They also require less maintenance, including less constant psychological conditioning to keep them from being horrible.

They also do stupid shit, and it's hilarious to watch.
>>
>>46711108
They leave mana crystals in their litterboxes. Raw, unremarkable crystals have very basic utility, but the creature's diet, emotional states, environment, and breeding (among other things) all combine during cultivation can come together to create exceptional specimens with prodigious qualities. Further refinement in the form of paring, faceting, soaking, and polishing bring out even more power potential, and can sometimes even render the odour more or less undetectable.
>>
File: 1332730749479.gif (999 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
1332730749479.gif
999 KB, 250x251
>>46715899
Birds are, in fact, one of the primary targets of this surveillance due to them obviously not being a part of the natural order of this universe.
>>
File: never go up against a sicilian.jpg (28 KB, 600x330) Image search: [Google]
never go up against a sicilian.jpg
28 KB, 600x330
>>46711108

Cat feces is the primary material component of all spells.

Because midichlorians.
>>
File: yin.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
yin.jpg
73 KB, 1280x720
>>46719334

A cat provides the benefits of a dog without the jaw-grinding overtones of emotional neediness and surrogate parenthood.

Dog owners need their shit slapped into oblivion, no exceptions. Cat owners are usually as bad but occasionally tolerable.
>>
>>46716574
And B stands for beautiful.

List checks out.
>>
>>46711454
did it type this post?
>>
File: 5553473.gif (2 MB, 389x415) Image search: [Google]
5553473.gif
2 MB, 389x415
The root of all magic is about not giving a shit about what reality thinks and doing your own thing.

Cats are natural masters of not giving a shit.
>>
>>46719334
They are capable of shitting either outdoors or in a specific place intended for shitting without the need for human supervision and don't go insane if left alone for more than a few hours a day. They also clean themselves.

If you can't be at home constantly and/or want a pet that doesn't require you to do everything for it cats a good pets.
>>
>>46720709
cats also hunt vermin, which is pretty sweet
>>
>>46720803
And they're soft. So soft.
>>
File: 1452650374634.jpg (147 KB, 500x730) Image search: [Google]
1452650374634.jpg
147 KB, 500x730
>>46720517
slowpoke, see >>46719487
>>
>>46720890
Chickens are soft. Chickens hunt bugs and other pests. Chickens provide an egg every day for food. Chickens don't need to be trained much past "Go here at night" and "lay eggs in this comfy box". You are allowed to slaughter and cook a chicken for dinner without the guests calling the police.
>>
>>46721091
But chickens aren't as cute or intelligent as cats. They can also be pretty high maintenance.
>>
>>46721091
why the fuck would you ever keep a chicken in your house, though
>>
>>46711108
No clue. I've had some ideas for special, unique magical abilities of other animals, but I've not thought about something for housecats.
>>
>>46721117
They get pretty high maintenance when you put 16 chickens, 2 ducks, and a turkey in one coop. But we do get nearly a dozen and a half eggs (of various colors and species) every single damn day. If I tried to shove 19 cats in a shed and had them free range for 6 hours a day I think all of them would be gone day 1.
>>46721149
They're obviously an outside bird, but apparently they make wonderful therapy pets.
>>
File: image.jpg (142 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142 KB, 683x1024
>>46721198
Forgot old lady therapy chicken.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 325x432) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 325x432
>>46721238
Don't forget the college stress therapy chicken!
>>
>>46721149
chickens are basically mechanisms of insect genocide, when we had two pet chickens growing up, for as long as we had them, I never saw a single spider. Also, if you've never seen a chicken chase a grass hopper, you're missing out.
>>
>>46721293
What's funny is that chickens will follow a laser pointer just as vigorously as a cat will. Just don't shine it on anything you don't want pecked.
>>
>>46711245
Bait
>>
>>46711454
You might want to check it for artistic liberties.
>>
>>46719334
my cats are independent and needy at the same time, they will groom themselves and defecate outside, but they love to be around me, either lying on my lap or sitting next to me on the lounge. And they're very entertaining when they get a big burst of energy
>>
>>46719334

I live int he deep woods, so we have perpetual vermin problems. Squirrels, shrews, field mice, all of them love to come live in my house. The cats take care of them quite nicely, and are good company, most of the time. Plus, easy to care for. Just drop a bowl of food on the floor, leave a window open, and they'll be able to keep happy and healthy for days on end with no one at the house.

Plus, adorable idiots. Cat watching can be very entertaining at times, why do you think there are so many videos of cats doing cat things online?

Plus, my cat is really well trained. She joins me for when I take walks outside, cuddles into bed with me whenever I pass out, and brings me dead things she killed before taking them off to eat them. I know whenever I hear a loud, muffled meow, she's caught something and seeks my affection for being a little murder machine. She knows not to kill birds, since I scolded her the times she did.
>>
They are natural magic users. They have nine lives and passively distort space around them. This is why they seem to be able to fit into spaces too small for them or jump distances that seem too far.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii

Cats give people schizophrenia
>>
So are cats small Dragons? Or are Dragons big cats?
>>
>>46723034
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii
>living with a domestic cat is not a risk factor
>>
>>46711108
Cat can scratch your skin in complicated pattern to create protective symbol. Or curse you
>>
>>46711245
Believe it or not, there actually IS a difference between stupidity and bull-headed stubbornness. If a cat has it set in its mind that it doesn't want to do something, it's not going to do it, unless you beat the piss out of it, and then it's just going to mad at you whenever you get near it
>>
>>46711108
They can see ghosts. That's why they'll stare at nothing at random times.
>>
>>46723416
THey do, however, respond fairly well to positive reinforcement, i.e., bribery
>>
>>46723214
They're actually completely unrelated. It's just convergent evolution, but at different scales.
>>
>>46719334
Historically?

Because they hunt the shit out of vermin.

Nowadays it's because they're cute.
>>
>>46711108

>What makes them special?

Barbed penises
>>
>>46719334
Basically they're easymode dogs for people who want animal companionship but don't want what's basically a hairy toddler. They're dumb but that can be a good thing when you plan to leave the house for a couple days at a time since you just need some sort of automated feeder (or friend) and a litterbox instead of a full-time pet-sitter.
I'm a huge dog person but sometimes I wish I went for cats instead when I just don't feel like petting an animal 24/7.
>>
>>46711632
>tfw cats always like me
>tfw virgin
>tfw I am not even 30 yet
>>
>>46723713
You're getting there.
>>
>>46723713
I never got the pretending to be a virgin meme
>>
>>46713176
Why are you speaking in 3rd person?
>>
>>46719334
You should read this paper by HP Lovecraft about cats and dogs. http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/essays/cd.aspx
>>
>>46721344
It's true though. The whole "clever" thing is a weird trope probably started from how sneaky they are. That's all they do though - they aren't even pack animals. They're just stupid killing machines.
>>
>>46716511
Our world is a magical place, isn't it?
>>
>>46711108

If a cat naps in a specific area enough, it becomes a leyline.

Whether or not cats are actually magical sources, or just magnets for magical phenomena has not yet been confirmed.
>>
>>46723872
You probably mean sweet killing machines.
>>
>>46719334
Cats are #2 on the list of "creatures that commit genocide" with humans as #1.

Just through hunting and playtime, they've eradicated more species of animals than anything other than humans.

That's why we like they, they're a kindred spirit. They understand.
>>
>>46711245
>tfw the neighbors cats cant find food if you toss it more than a foot away from them despite having vastly superior senses of smell
I have to bounce treats off the poor things heads for them to find it.
>>
>>46711108
cats are the only living thing that can sense ley lines
>>
>>46724393
Maybe he is not hungry enough to bother?
>>
>>46724562
No they circle my feet like they haven't eaten in weeks. knowing their owner that would be true if didn't feed them it's also why I don't set it down or hand it to them, got mauled more than once.
>>
Cats are the only living creatures that can see magic. The only ones. Even in times where magic-users were more common, the greatest of wizards could not see the flow of their spells, how they physically manifested.

In the modern day, the more desperate of would-be mages forcibly transplant cats' eyes into their own sockets, as a crutch for their spells. Whether or not the eyes came from a living cat, and whether that cat continued to live after the transplant... Well, the type of mage who would mutilate an innocent animal like that isn't one who probably has qualms about where the cat ended up.
>>
>>46723870

>I have no active dislike for dogs, any more than I have for monkeys, human beings, negroes, cows, sheep, or pterodactyls; but for the cat I have entertained a particular respect and affection ever since the earliest days of my infancy.

God bless you crazy racist loon.
>>
>>46723527
Actually, one of the hard parts of training cats (or so I've heard) is that they intentionally only do enough to get treats.

Dog
>oh boy, I'm sure if I do this I'll get a treat!
Cat
>You already gave me a treat. Why should I exert myself? Kepp the treats flowing, human, and I may, MAY, stand on my hinds for your amusement.
>>
>>46724687
They really are just like humans.
>>
>>46719334
We have a farm. We keep a small herd of them to keep rats and small snakes the donkeys cant see away.

It is easier to have them than dogs, as no farm hands really get attached to them in the case of having them chewed up in the equipment or put down for getting the taste for chicken.
>>
File: Bast gonna fuck you up.gif (2 MB, 500x209) Image search: [Google]
Bast gonna fuck you up.gif
2 MB, 500x209
>>46711108
Longstanding association to Egyptian belief now ingrained in popular culture.
>>
>>46724687
>>You already gave me a treat. Why should I exert myself? Kepp the treats flowing, human, and I may, MAY, stand on my hinds for your amusement.
This is how I failed to teach my cat walk on two legs. It's not even hard for him, he can easily stand and balance WHEN HE WANTS, but fucker never raises his body more than a couple inches for treat.
>>
>>46723214
Why not both, family?
>>
File: 1449893676644.png (82 KB, 331x251) Image search: [Google]
1449893676644.png
82 KB, 331x251
>>46724786
>tfw one always ends up in a hay bale
>>
>>46724897
Or when they inbreed. My Grandpa would round up stray cats and bring them to the farm every couple of years, but sometimes the inbreeding was bad.
I remember one year a cat hat kittens and, at like 2 months old, they were bigger then she was! I still have no idea how she managed to have that litter.
>>
>>46724897
I am always amazed at the ones that will run into a bush hog.

I know that I scatter field mice like some natural disaster when it is time but fuck, it is 15ft wide and sounds like death when it is turned on.
>>
File: Feral_cat_Virginia_crop.jpg (449 KB, 1436x1672) Image search: [Google]
Feral_cat_Virginia_crop.jpg
449 KB, 1436x1672
>>46724786

I love the image Wiki uses for "Farm Cat".
>>
>>46724987
It's shit like this that make me annoyed by people who claim their cat is almost as smart as a human. though I guess I've known people who have ended up in hay bales too:(
>>
>>46711402
I use this.
>>
>>46725067
It's surprising the amount of people that wind up in farm machinery each year. Or the poor assholes who suffocate inside silos.

Farms are nothing but giant deathtraps
>>
>>46725959
Remember kids, always turn shit off before trying to get them unstuck.
>>
>>46723703
>leaving a cat alone for days

They are smart enough to get bored. And then they start doing dumb shit.
>>
>>46723214
>are Dragons big cats?

According to the Khajiit,yes.
>>
>>46711108
I like the thing from the Witcher novels where the only two creatures that naturally can see ley lines of energy are dragons and cats.
Both basically have a tendency to sleep on those locations and seemingly "absorb" the ambient magical energy of the ley line.

Nobody really knows what cats do with it.
>>
>>46725997

"What does the machine normally do? If it is not doing that, and you resolve the issue, what might you expect it to immediately start to do? What places should you absolutely not be if this machine is doing what it normally does?"

>>46725959

Don't forget about tractors!

It just reminded me of a fairly important case in Canadian probate law. A man was trapped under his tractor, and carved a will in one of the panels. It was accepted in court, and formed precedent for other types of 'holographic' (hand written) wills in the future.
>>
>>46711630
Comfy to pet? Check.
Can easily get into women's breasts? Check.
>>
>>46726237
>Nobody really knows what cats do with it.
Use it to keep their fucked up kidneys from blowing up on them.

As long as they keep that up, they don't die.
House cats are almost as buggy as horses. They shouldn't work and most of the time they don't.
>>
>>46724814
>watermarking a gif
Wow.
>>
>>46711504
Ships tended to have cats on them to catch mice that were trying to eat their supplies, and a lot of cat superstitions came about as a result of the ship cat's behavior too because people didn't know shit about meteorology back then. For instance that it could predict storms or so on.
>>
>>46726414
Sailors also believed that women were bad luck.
>>
>>46716463
I swear that I had a cat that could teleport, like, seriously.
There was this one time when I was sleeping with the cat at my feet but I needed to go pee so, like any other cat owner, I made my best to get out of the bed without disturbing the cat. When I got out of the room, she was still sleeping in the same position.
Then I went to the bathroom (at the other side of the house) went in... and there was the cat. Lying in the same position, but on the toilet's lid.
To this day it still amazes me.
>>
>>46723870
>>46724649

I have always felt he spoke very highly of dogs in his stories. You can definetly tell he is a cat person from Cats of Ulthar and Rats in the Walls but dogs are shown as brave and sturdy defenders against otherworldly things in stories like At the Mountains of Madness and the Whisperer in the Dark. Hell, its even a single dog that kills Wilbur Whateley
>>
>>46726439
Well, this is true. It brings something else for a bunch of idiots to fight over.
>>
>>46726493
>Day 3
>My "owner" still hasn't gone insane. I will intensify the method.
>>
>>46726439
A woman on board causes unnecessary competition between the sailors that can interfere with their work. The hope of a warm bed with a nice prostitute after they get paid also keeps them around
>>
>>46726579
>>46726601
Seen like that...
>>
>>46726588
>>46726588
That animal was 100% sweetness and magic.
She would spend all that lying on my legs except for the occasional burst of energy when she'd do all kind of fuckery, like jumping on the surface of water or doing a middair horizontal parable.
>>
>>46711630
And until the rarr single chosen ones become gidlike its real easy to just kill them.
>>
>>46711108
>>cats have a unique interaction with magic
>
>What makes them special?

They're soulless cunts?
dogs4lyfe nigga
>>
>>46711108
Dignity
>>
>>46727271
i love doggos but i dont get the cat-hate.

my cat is just as smart and loyal as my doggo.
>>
>>46711108
They literally all have fiendish blood
There aren't' any cats in the upper planes
>>
>>46711108
Uh, get a cat. Like, a cat who's really yours. you'll see almost immediately. They're highly sensitive to extrasensory phenomena. My cat, personally, can read minds and speak maybe fifty words of English.
>>
>>46727463
You're imagining the loyalty, is all. My cat is a stone-cold boss, and he loves me very much, I know, but if he saw me getting killed he'd be outie 500. My dog would not rest until my attacker was dead, and his face in particular destroyed.
>>
File: Cat.jpg (74 KB, 593x440) Image search: [Google]
Cat.jpg
74 KB, 593x440
>>46727487
well cats know their chances. you dont own cats to protect yourself. unless you get some mutant maine coon breed.
>>
File: DRvClU6.jpg (29 KB, 500x526) Image search: [Google]
DRvClU6.jpg
29 KB, 500x526
>>46727487
Dogs are pretty retarded.
>>
>>46727478
All cats read minds, that's why they always look at people like they're completely tired of their shit.
>>
Cats freak out randomly because they see those little white angels scientists say are indicative that you're going blind.

Spoiler alerr
>>
>>46725017
Greebo!
>>
>>46721284
No way that is a real animal. What the hell?
>>
>>46719318

If Gollum was a cat, this is what he'd look like.
>>
>>46723650
/tg/, have you ever wondered what it would be like to NOT think of dicks for at least 10 minutes or so? Like, at least once in your life for the sheer novelty value alone?
>>
>>46716511
WELCOME TO MY MAGICAL REALM!
>>
>>46724393
Cats smell isn't that great. its certainly not dog-level. just look how tiny their noses are, their "snout" is mostly just a whisker fixture.
>>
File: Pancake Cat.jpg (149 KB, 811x739) Image search: [Google]
Pancake Cat.jpg
149 KB, 811x739
>As the descendants of the Dark Father, cats have supernormal abilities commensurate with the measure of power afforded them based upon the number of generations separating the individual Feline from the Dark Father; the closer the cat falls upon the family tree to their Dark Father, the mightier its supernormal gifts.
>>
>>46711714
>Kitty disapproves of your illicit profession
>>
>>46727729
Your life is so much better off thinking about dicks. They are pleasurable for the most part. An object of creation. Why, if you were to go without dicks then you'd be considering objects like the hypercube. Does it bring you enjoyment?? No, it is not a thing until you objectify it. To be objectified in such a subject is great, so if you like objectification I'd suggest going without dicks.
>>
>>46711108
Both ardent lovers and austere scholars
Love in their mature years
The strong and gentle cats, pride of the house,
Who like them are sedentary and sensitive to cold.

Friends of learning and sensual pleasure,
They seek the silence and the horror of darkness;
Erebus would have used them as his gloomy steeds:
If their pride could let them stoop to bondage.

When they dream, they assume the noble attitudes
Of the mighty sphinxes stretched out in solitude,
Who seem to fall into a sleep of endless dreams;

Their fertile loins are full of magic sparks,
And particles of gold, like fine grains of sand,
Spangle dimly their mystic eyes.
>>
>>46727771
>When they dream, they assume the noble attitudes
>Of the mighty sphinxes stretched out in solitude,

My cat sleeps with his face stuck on his forepaws. He looks like a loaf of bread. Sometimes he forms a ball.
>>
>>46721284
>>46727692
It's real alright:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silkie
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 900x563) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 900x563
>>46727817
Honestly I prefer the chicken.
>>
>>46711108
delicacy
>>
>>46726493
>go to sleep with a cat on the bed by my feet
>bedroom door closed and locked
>wake up in the morning with the cat in the kitchen waiting to be feed
>door still closed and locked
Fucking cats, how do they work?
>>
File: 1450534208218.gif (2 MB, 462x349) Image search: [Google]
1450534208218.gif
2 MB, 462x349
>>46729453
MAGIC

And also, they can become liquid.
>>
>>46729534
Jesus Christ how horrifying
>>
>>46729564
>trash talking the cats from the sci-fi Honorverse
>>
>>46711108
Cats really are pretty fucking dumb. I am not sure that they are dumber than dogs in the wild, but certainly wolves. Part of this is because cats are fucking passive and arrogant pets which do not foster the level of activity you have with dogs. Hence the cat brain doesn't evolve as much as the dogs.
>>
>>46718734
Can confirm as a snakefag.
>>
>>46718564

Go back to Maine, and take your mutant raccoon-cat with you.
>>
>>46726493
>>46729453

You have two cats. They're just pretending to be one cat to fuck with you.
>>
>>46727487

There was that video of the cat that attacked a dog who was attacking its owner's kid; I've seen other videos of cats going apeshit on babysitters when the child they were minding was crying/distressed. So they will attack to defend members of the family in some cases. It could just be your average cat sees your average human as an adult and is all "Hey man, handle your shit", given they have the whole looser social structure going than dogs.
>>
>>46729735

Dogs and cats are wired different.

Dogs are wired to follow the other dog, chase the thing, then gang up on the thing and work together to take it down.

Cats are wired to sneak up on the thing and solo one-shot it.

Humans are wired to wander around picking up random shit and eating it. I'm surprised all three of us get along as well as we do.
>>
>>46729944
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBW5dfRoG7Q
>>
>>46729976
Not too difficult.

Dogs find shit for us to eat, we're the dog they follow, because we're good at taking shit down.

We store shit to eat later. Mice and rats eat that. Cats eat them, they eat less of our shit, we and the cats both get to eat.
>>
I ruled that in WHFB cats can fuck with the warp for kicks and seldom have to answer for it

its why wizards have them and treat them nice, its why the rakshasas are the only beastmen who don't worship dark gods and are fine, its why skaven are scared shitless of cats and some say why rats are unusually scared of cats
>>
>>46729976
Sneaky animals are dumb. Evolving for group tactics is strongly correlated with a higher level of intelligence, simply because it demands more communicative skills, planning, and coordination. Sneaky animals just sneak, and rely overly on agility and perception. Of course sneaky cats are dumber.
>>
>>46730039
What answers do you give on those seldom occasions?
>>
>>46730164
a rat man gets the courage to stab them, a wizard realized what happened, a beast man burns down the house ones in. Etc
>>
>>46730077
>Evolving for group tactics is strongly correlated with a higher level of intelligence
See also: ants.
>>
>>46730290
>correlation
>counter example
learn science please.
>>
>>46730303
>people can only agree with me!
>people who present counter examples are just stupid!
>>
>>46715124
>bred and trained cats are higher-class
Cost-wise, maybe. But especially bred cats tend to get more retarded the "better bred" they are.
Farm cats are usually those who will survive everything you throw at them, and plot murder scenarios that will make Agent 47 look like some nigger doing a drive-by.
>>
>>46730315
>dolphins
>humans
happy now?
>>
>>46730303
Also, fish. Group tactics at their finest.
>>
>>46730344
Also, hooligans. Group tactics at their strongest.
>>
File: The idea is to aplly strength.png (576 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
The idea is to aplly strength.png
576 KB, 640x480
>>46730359
...No, thier strongest is da boss.
>>
File: 1391762203334.jpg (106 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
1391762203334.jpg
106 KB, 858x536
>>46729944
There's at least one video where a cat goes ape shit on an alligator and at least two videos of post-soviet cats chasing off black bears.

Cats can also protect their pack, but they need to be told what a pack is - this requires proper upbringing or several generations of cats or a very strong and stable tomcat with a pack mentality beating the shit out of everybody who doesn't have a pack mentality.

Those 3 things usually do not happen, hence most cats are territorial loners.
>>
>>46730432
>cats fending off bigger animals
That's mostly because cats don't give a fuck.
I still wonder sometimes why there aren't more "cat kills human" incidents.
>>
>>46730456
Eyes are too high to scratch.
>>
>>46730456
Cats never attack to kill when dealing with something bigger than themselves, because they're most certainly not going to eat it and it'll take far too much effort. A cat attacking a human will stop once the human goes away or is unable/unwilling to fight back.
>>
>>46730494
Cats tend to have no problem with reaching higher body parts.
>>
>>46723773
Heh, yeah...pretending...
>>
>>46727763
that sounds like a translation of the national anthem of Sweeden
>>
In my setting they just have a low power Detect Magic effect on at all times. So when they flip out and hiss and jump at nothing it might actually be some magical thing that passed by them. Or it might be nothing. Cats are dumb that way.
>>
File: 1453308138706.gif (1 MB, 172x162) Image search: [Google]
1453308138706.gif
1 MB, 172x162
>>46730688
>>
>>46730688
>>46730688
ayy
>>
>>46725017
That cat looks like he would singing this song https://youtu.be/El9eCRisbDo
>>
>>46730456
Was attacked by a feral cat once. Not a super-huge one, but still pretty large.
Managed to get my hands around the neck and break it. Arms got scratched badly and bitten, but superior reach wins the day.
>>
>>46730324
>Cost-wise, maybe. But especially bred cats tend to get more retarded the "better bred" they are.
That may be true when you're trying to breed purebreds, but if you breed for intelligence, athletic ability, and so on, you get those traits. Each was originally bred for a purpose, and they performed those functions they were bred for admirably enough to pass on their genes. Compare pictures of what different breeds of dog looked like 100 years ago to what they look like today. Modern animals, in many cases, would not be able to perform the tasks for which their breed was originally created.
>>
>>46713176
How's Rincewind?
>>
>>46711108
They are allergic to it, but can physically hunt it. Cats destroy magic, Magic destroys cats.
>>
>>46730922
what about curiosity?
>>
>>46730922
Sounds interesting, but why do all the witches and wizards have one then?
Cats usually don't even need a reason to break the stuff you put on your shelves in glass jars, here they will actively hunt your ingredients.
Also, it just doesn't sound like they live very long if that's true. And what about dragon? Would meeting a dragon just straight-up kill them from allergy?
>>
>>46731027
Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
>>
>>46731144
That doesn't make any sense.
That's as if I was a bee keeper and kept a giant hungry bear in my house as a companion because "bears are my enemies, and I should keep my enemies close".
Then again, maybe witches actually have separate storage room for their ingredients? And cats are probably closely watched for in that case, so that they don't break stuff. Seriously, they're more like guardian dogs that way, to warn against enemy magicians, and protect the house in case it's some low-level burglar who knows an Unlock spell. That would require an abundance of low-level magic in the setting, though.
>>
File: teamwork.png (131 KB, 767x501) Image search: [Google]
teamwork.png
131 KB, 767x501
Why not both?
>>
>>46731296
>he doesn't keep a grizzly in his oubearette

What's the point of building a dungeon that can only be accessed by trap door then furnishing it with grubs, berries and salmon if you aren't even gonna put a bear in it?
>>
>>46731471

Giant grubs, a 10 foot tall blueberry golem, and dire salmon, see if they notice the theme before going toe to toe with Shardik.
>>
>>46731434
The question is, did he give the cat a sausage too after he figured it out?
>>
>>46731604
You sure as hell didn't think that through.
I think when you meet a 10 foot tall blueberry golem, a bear is the least of your problems.
If he wasn't, then he would have eaten everyone in the dungeon. Because he is a freaking bear, and you're putting a giant piece of salmon right before him. One of those is gonna kill the other off eventually, the adventurers are a lot more trouble than either of them, honestly, so they're gonna focus on the source of food that has less of a chance to kill them.
Maybe a colony of bears and a colony of grubs/salmon with one golem could work, but they're probably gonna be more busy fighting one another than any intruders, and it would be a highly unstable ecosystem. Don't expect it to last more than a year.
>>
>>46731613
He probably did and the cat couldn't find it, even when he was pointing at it.
>>
>>46731730
The bear is in magic stasis. The golems, dire salmon, and grubs are is guardians.

Should they falter, Ursus Majoris will rouse from his sleep and consume this realm in preperation for the heat death of this reality.
>>
>>46731732
Just leave it there. The dog is gonna come soon, and she will find it.
Either the cat stops pretending to be retarded, fights the dog off and eats it, or the dog gets a second sausage (which it honestly does deserve for fighting off a burglar with a gun) and the cat learns to value gratitude expressed in overtime payment.
Win-win, if you ask me.
>>
>>46731772
Ah, he's a magic bear. Thought you were talking about an ordinary grizzly here. Maybe a brown bear.
Also, there's a 10 foot tall dead blueberry golem a few rooms away from him. Does he really need that much food? I assume the adventurers didn't loot the entire golem.
>>
>>46730505
Unless of course it's something like a large adult rabbit or a canada goose.

In which case the cat will absolutely try and kill it, and possibly be successful , but probably was just vastly overestimating its own physical size when it went into it.
>>
>>46731824
If you want to hibernate from the end of an eternity to the start of another, you need a lot of food. Blueberries simply won't do on their own. He needs at least 3/4ths of a dimension for that.
>>
>>46731879
What do you think happened to the previous universe?
>>
>>46723610
CARLOS!
>>
>>46729845
I just measured my fat cat, and he's 20 inches long, not including the tail.

He's usually pretty tame, but I'm pretty sure that's because he's the undisputed boss of the neighborhood.
>>
File: ras3.jpg (183 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ras3.jpg
183 KB, 1024x768
>>46732897
>>
>>46731732
Cats don't understand pointing. If you point at something they'll look at your hand instead.
>>
File: 100_2186.jpg (434 KB, 1501x1000) Image search: [Google]
100_2186.jpg
434 KB, 1501x1000
>>46733076
he does not give a shit
>>
>>46731604
>>46731730

Shardik was a bear from a Richard Adams novel, more than twice the height of a man when on all fours. So, picture a Grizzly the height of an African Elephant. That said, the magic bear that wants to eat everything so it can hibernate until the next big bang is neat too.
>>
random cat picture.

because boredom.
>>
File: 1429889775405.jpg (45 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1429889775405.jpg
45 KB, 640x480
>>46735751
>>
File: Kittayy.jpg (423 KB, 1501x1000) Image search: [Google]
Kittayy.jpg
423 KB, 1501x1000
>>46733140
>>
File: 12512512323.jpg (48 KB, 400x335) Image search: [Google]
12512512323.jpg
48 KB, 400x335
>>46711245
Look at the time!

It's time for someone to shut the fuck up!
>>
>>46736291
Day 57: I have either been adopted into their pack, or they still think I am a cat. Of note, I have chosen to continue my studies without the aid of my fur based camouflage. it was beginning to smell.
>>
>>46711402
So does that mean Creepers are magical constructs?

>>46724070
What if they nap in said area BECAUSE it's a leyline?

>>46729976
This. This anon knows. I'm saving this post for later.
>>
>>46711108
Cats absorb ambient mana. This is their main reason for taking humans as host - many times humans build their homes on mana sources and cats want it. This explains the cat lady phenomenon - they have particularly mana rich homes and particularly weak minds, leading many cats to choose them as a host. They absorb mana by sleeping.

Cats take humans as host by abusing their stored mana to create something akin to mind control. There is no way to save someone chosen as a host - killing the cat will damage the host's mind, often leaving them enraged or depressed.
>>
>>46730324
Keep in mind that a lot of cat a dog breeds were bred for practicality rather than looks or pedigree.
>>
>>46719334
They're basically sentient piles of fluff that purr when you stroke them. What's not to love?
>>
>>46726220
Isn't it the Tiger people from Akavir that turn into dragons?
>>
>>46739213
It's thought that they are being metaphorical.
>>
>>46718734
Cats, owls and snakes are all commonly associated with magic.
You might be onto something here.
>>
>>46740127
Didn't hear about that one in particular, but it's The Elder Scrolls. The setting where freaking cats had a moon program by getting so collectively high that the entire nation believed they were on the moon, and the universe accommodated for that.
It's completely possible it's literally what happens. Or maybe somebody believed in it enough until it started being true, wouldn't be the first time.
>>
>>46740700
Certainly possible, I'm just repeating what I heard from more knowledgeable posters in /tgesg/. Their reasoning was that the book that mentioned it was based on second hand rumours and that dragon was likely a title.
>>
>>46711398
sandman fan~
>>
>>46725017
that cat looks based as fuck
>>
Reminds me of the Young Wizards books where the local cat Wizards were the maintenance team for the world gates because of their affinity for cosmic string.

Or how in Discworld they're one of the only creatures that can see Death (and where we get to see a big angry tomcat wreck an elf's day.. Elves are pricks in discworld).
>>
>>46744276
>Elves are pricks in discworld
>implying they are settings they aren't dicks
>>
File: khaj.jpg (75 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
khaj.jpg
75 KB, 500x499
>>46739213
>>46740127
In Khajiit mythology, it's said that they view dragons as big cats.

In Akavir, the land itself is related to dragons and time. AKA-vir, Aka meaning Dragon or relating to the Dragon god Aka who became Akatosh through the melding with Lorkhan, Vir presumably meaning land.
Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.