[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tg approved literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7
File: taran-wanderer.jpg (185 KB, 327x500) Image search: [Google]
taran-wanderer.jpg
185 KB, 327x500
Im looking for all books novels, comics short stories and the like which are relevent to upcoming dms. Fantasy, Scifi and horror are all welcome, as well as anything else you might bring up.
For my part i bring up the chronicles of prydain series as a standout among fantasy I've read.
>>
>>46696827
Superb taste. David Gemmell is also top tier paperback fantasy.
>>
File: rex Nemorensis.jpg (38 KB, 333x499) Image search: [Google]
rex Nemorensis.jpg
38 KB, 333x499
The Golden Bough is required reading for world building.
>>
I reccomend the barteamius trilogy, or however you spell it
>>
File: 81CP5jOzqaL[1].jpg (315 KB, 1546x2560) Image search: [Google]
81CP5jOzqaL[1].jpg
315 KB, 1546x2560
I say this is /tg/ approved literature by sheer virtue of me approving of it and being a /tg/ regular. Now go read it.
>>
>>46698593
>Muh barbarian supermen
The last few chapters really killed the book for me.
>>
>>46699536
But what about the rest of the series?
>>
File: 81PUjYDq2yL.jpg (443 KB, 1400x2099) Image search: [Google]
81PUjYDq2yL.jpg
443 KB, 1400x2099
Is Throne of Glass any good? I saw a couple of these in a teenage girl's room and it looked cool but the description I read made it sound like marry sue shit.

More to the topic of the thread, I'm running a campaign about witches, and I really don't know much about them at all. Short sighted of me. Good witch fantasy in a classical fantasy type setting or otherwise.
>>
File: uk-orig-the-blade-itself.jpg (172 KB, 424x650) Image search: [Google]
uk-orig-the-blade-itself.jpg
172 KB, 424x650
the first law series is a pretty great read
>>
File: prince of thorns.jpg (38 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
prince of thorns.jpg
38 KB, 312x475
>>46699998
as is the broken empire
>>
Malazan book of the fallen.
>>
I quite like Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. For some reason, the books get a lot of hate in these threads. I'm not sure why. It has good characters, a good plot, and a thankfully different sort of setting. It's fantasy, but Butcher created his own races instead of using the usual elves and orcs and such. All of the races are interesting and distinct. Butcher does a good job worldbuilding at an even pace; he gives enough info for things to make sense but doesn't drag the pace down with tedious info dumps.

The Lies of Locke Lamora
One of the few times I've seen a "too clever for his own good" character written well. He actually IS too clever for his own good.

Raymond E. Feist's Magician: Apprentice (and Master) are... okay. More a guilty pleasure than anything else, but I've read it more than once.

Black Company novels by Glen Cook are fun (at least the first 2 are; I didn't like the 3rd enough to finish it). Morally neutral merc company gets hired by fantasy Darth Vader. Fun times.

If you like 40k or want to give it a shot, the Ciaphas Cain books are a lot of fun. It's basically Flashman + Blackadder Goes Fourth in 40k.

When Gravity Fails
Cyberpunk novel set in the Middle East, but the city it takes place in is based on the New Orleans French Quarter. It's a detective/mystery story. Violent, engaging, and well paced. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

While I don't personally like Wheel of Time or the Kingkiller Chronicles (Name of the Wind is book 1), many people do and I can see why. They just don't meet my tastes.

STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM ANYTHING BY TERRY GOODKIND.
Sword of Truth is terrible. Just terrible.
>>
>>46696827
>Prydain

On the one hand, it doesn't get enough love

On the other hand, I'm glad it doesn't, because look what happened to LotR
>>
File: baroquecycle1.jpg (938 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
baroquecycle1.jpg
938 KB, 2592x1936
>>46696827
Fantasy
>books
The Silmarillion
>novels
The Name of the Rose
>comics
Mouse Guard
>short stories
-
>relevent to upcoming dms
Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog

Scifi
>books
Einstein’s Dice and Schrodinger’s Cat
>novels
Hyperion Cantos
>comics
The Incal
>short stories
The Electric Ant
Colonial Marines Technical Manual

horror
>books
Malleus Maleficarum
>novels
Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus
>comics
Preacher?
>short stories
The King in Yellow
Dread
>>
Egil's Saga
Hrafnkel's Saga
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
>>
>>46700683
>Egil's Saga

YES

GODDAMN MUTANT BERZERKER SERIAL KILLER

>Hrafnkel's Saga

More like "Thatguy saga"
>>
>>46700480
>Malleus Maleficarum

Directorium Inquistorum is a much more interesting book in that it is more about finding and proper use of torture on witches Useful only to get the conviction from person you are already absolutely certain about and useless for actual investigation than convincing people why and how are they evil.

>>46700022
What did you find good in it ? I honestely couldn't stand the Edginess
>>
>>46700456
Hell, remember the Black Cauldron movie that we did actually get?

Pretty animation and badass Horned King aside, it was a bad adaptation
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.