[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does it really matter what the reward is in a one-shot adventure?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Klondike-Bar.jpg (34 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Klondike-Bar.jpg
34 KB, 500x500
Does it really matter what the reward is in a one-shot adventure?
>>
You better fucking believe it, if it's a klondike bar!
>>
To the characters, yes it does.
>>
Not really. If you had fun and it ended in the party getting slaughtered by a horde of goblins then mission accomplished.
>>
>>46679665
If you want me to give even half a shit about my character or about the adventure, then you'd better believe it matters.
>>
>>46679665
>Does it really matter what the reward is
Yes. The reward always matters.
>>
in the beginning you were ******
the dream world within you was real
the false world wasn’t here
the false world is a dream world
the real world, is a dream world within you
the false world is an illusion
first you must close your eyes
>>
File: 1460497684882.jpg (138 KB, 900x679) Image search: [Google]
1460497684882.jpg
138 KB, 900x679
>>46679665
>Does it really matter what the reward is in a one-shot adventure?

If we agree to play a hack-n-slash with no roleplaying bullshit, then no. It doesn't matter unless you're actually concerned with the PC's motivations.

If we're playing a game where you intend to bitch at me for not roleplaying properly or not making small-talk with every stableboy and page we cross paths with, then yes, things like motivations do matter.
>>
>>46679880
Eh, people are loot-whores or they're story-whores. Sometimes both.

If a story can be wrapped up neatly in a single play session (really hard unless the story is simplistic in which case likely to be uninteresting), then all well and good. If it can't be, the reward for playing more is evident.

If you're just fighting monsters, if the encounter is well designed, a little fun can be derived from the challenge/exploration of it, but the reward - loot - is usually the major takeaway.
>>
It's just as important as the "happily ever after" in a fairy tale. Sure you can't play around with the stuff afterward but it's how you end the story. Might as well say "For slaying the dragon you were awarded a billion shekels and retired early."
>>
>>46679665
Yes.

And it's closure.
>>
>>46679676
Beat me to it, almost word for word.
>>
>>46679665
Only if the one-shot becomes relevant to another campaign, such as if the PCs become recurring characters in a "fifty years later" game.
>>
>>46679880
>How dare people expect me to roleplay in tabletop role playing games.

I genuinely do not understand people like you. It seems like you'd have more fun with vdieo games if all you're interested in is the gameplay and not the role-playing. Roleplay is two thirds of RPG after all.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.