[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The analogy I make sometimes with board games is it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: look at me.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
look at me.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>The analogy I make sometimes with board games is it's the only form of entertainment where we ask you to take sort of a reading comprehension test followed by an oral defense before you can start. So the analogy is, if you wanted to like "Hey I heard there's this new show on Netflix, I wanna watch it", and then you have to spend 20 minutes reading and answering questions, and then you get done and you start playing, and because you didn't answer the questions completely right, because you were in a hurry, one guy speaks Spanish and a couple of scenes are missing, and you get done and you're like "I don't think I like this show"...
>>
File: 1454124322119.png (553 KB, 737x720) Image search: [Google]
1454124322119.png
553 KB, 737x720
>>46669076
>Netflix
>I wanna watch it
>>
>>46669076
You can make this analogy for literally any piece of media. If you don't learn things right in a video game tutorial or skip levels, shits not going to look right. Same deal if you skip chapters in a book or fast forward past 10 to 15 minutes of a movie. Hell, if I skip the first part of a song to the singer screaming random gibberish because I missed his build up and previous verses I'd probably think the song wasn't that good at all.
>>
>>46669076
tfw looking at the thumbnail, I thought the OP pic was an amputee girl with a gopro on her stump and did not understand what the fuck cripples have to do with board games.
>>
>>46669172

>>46669172
>Same deal if you skip chapters in a book or fast forward past 10 to 15 minutes of a movie.

That's not the same thing at all. Instructions are a separate step unlike what follows.
>>
>>46669076
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>46669629
same
>>
>>46669076
If you don't like tabletop, why are you here?
>>
>>46673589

Rob Daviau

48 minutes into this:
https://vimeo.com/82383614
>>
>>46669629
>and did not understand what the fuck cripples have to do with board games

The image is a metaphor.
>>
>>46669076
> board games is it's the only form of entertainment where we ask you to take sort of a reading comprehension test
> it's the only form of entertainment where we ask you to take a test
You realise that there are a bunch of hobbies that actually require you to pass formal tests?
>>
>>46669629
Same, I expected cutie mechano chicks.
>>
>>46669172
No.

What they're talking about is before you even start you need to understand. It's more akin to needing to know how to set up a game before you play it, or needing to know how to read to understand a book.

The main difference is, where those preconditions are the same every time for any piece of that medium, each time you play a tabletop game you need to redo it.

Basically, he's saying that we're smarter than /v/
>>
>>46669076
>tfw I started a campaign by having my players literally take a test to get into a guild
>>
>>46675629
>What they're talking about is before you even start you need to understand.
But you don't. You can sit down with complete newcomers. Tell them their character is a thief and that they'll learn the rest in time.
>>
>>46675660
Right, but Someone needs to have read the book at some point though. You're kind of proving my point for me.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.