[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you rather play a Grimderp character in a Noblebright setting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8
Would you rather play a Grimderp character in a Noblebright setting (e.g: a blinded prostitute whose mother died in childbirth and saw her father get disemboweled before her at the age of 12 in a world where "the princess was kidnapped by a romantically confused dragon with no real bad intentions" is considered a crisis) or a noblebright character in a grimderp setting (e.g: a literal Disney princess that loves to sing and can make cute woodland critters flock to her with a single gesture and harms no ill will to anyone stuck in what is a frontal collission between 40k, game of thrones and coldsteel the hedgeheg)?
>>
>>46666448
Both of these things sound pretty awesome, desu.

But I guess the Grimderp character in the Noblebright setting is something that would survive more than half a session, so I'm going with that.

>tfw your grimderp character falls into a deep depression because no one can relate to her struggle
>tfw he can't cope with the incessant whistling and singing
>why are these people celebrating??
>>
>>46666448
One of those is shit because it turns you into the focus of the story. The other one is a roleplaying challenge and possibly a handicap.
>>
>>46666545
Which is which? Both have the potential to be both. It depends on how it's played.
>>
>>46666557
It's not a grimdark setting if it actually cares for your background and treats you like a raw egg.

As for the grimderp character in a noblebright world, that is actually a logical problem. If you go to a real orderly country and start fixing all your problems with your gun because that's how you grew up, then they would lock you up. If the DM decides that you're allowed to do things your grimderp way, then you have successfully hijacked the entire campaign.
No, OP wasn't talking about a renegade killer. But I do not consider a backstory to be sufficient for a grimderp character.
>>
Noblebright ofc, the gradual turn to grimdark would be very rewarding to play, as well as the character giving rise to many lulz around the table. Possible I'd even get an "unlimited power"-moment at the end of the campaign.
>>
>>46666503
>Edgie, the Edgelord
>Sir Bearington in Mordor

>Both of these things sound pretty awesome, desu.

Kill yourself, you tone deaf kek.
>>
File: Red Card.gif (2 MB, 382x289) Image search: [Google]
Red Card.gif
2 MB, 382x289
>>46667149
Wrong.
>>
File: nVUanBC.png (353 KB, 850x455) Image search: [Google]
nVUanBC.png
353 KB, 850x455
>>46666503
>>
>>46666448
As long as I don't get gutted for it, noblebright in grimdark
>>
File: 509[1].jpg (28 KB, 382x333) Image search: [Google]
509[1].jpg
28 KB, 382x333
>>46667149
Many people consider suffering to be a recurring element in all of comedy, but that does not explain why there is so much comedy that isn't centered around suffering (such as the famous "Shocked, shocked!" scene in Casablanca, perhaps my favorite comedic moment in cinema history). What these scenes that don't require suffering have in common with those that do center around suffering is absurdity. I believe that laughter is the result of the human mind trying but failing to comprehend something so absurd, it does not fit into the paradigm of normality.

A granny slipping over a banana peel and breaking her hip isn't funny, a racehorse in full gallop slipping over a banana peel is. The former is simply dark, the latter is something you do not expect. A dignified creature in full stride suddenly slipping and embarassing himself? That's funny.

An element that completely stand out from its environment, or an element that's "tone deaf", is absurd therefore funny. A disney princess stuck in a shady bar where the patrons punch puppies for fun? Hilarious. A grizzled warveteran that saw all his friends literally ripped limb from limb and has lost all faith in humanity suddenly finding himself in a land of joy and rainbows inhabited by harmless teddybears? Absurd, therefor funny.

This is also why "LOLSORANDUMB" doesn't work: it relies so much on absurdity that there is no normality to contrast it with, and ironically enough the absurd ends up becoming normal and boring.

tl;dr: Grow a funny bone, nigga.
>>
>>46666448
Noble characters in grimderp settings don't fare too well unless the universe bends to suit them, I think.

They can try, sure, but sooner or later they will inevitably become just as jaded as everyone else, that is if they don't snap and lose their mind or die first. I mean, it's grimDERP after all.

Pic kinda related.

On the other hand, the idea of a 2edgy4u character trying and failing to live in his edgy ways in a noblebright setting seems hilarious to me for some reason.
>>
>>46668256
>I want a whacky funny character in a serious dark setting because it's funny!!!! Xd

Yes, this is precisely why you should kill yourself. You are That Guy.
>>
>>46668701
>That guy
No, that's you.
>Can't comprehend a simple concept laid out before him
There's nothing wrong with playing something that "doesn't fit in." Comedic relief is a part of life.
Same as the other Anon, grow a funny bone, you mong.
>>
>>46666448
Well, fantasy stories have been made of both.
>>
>>46666448
One is going to die, get jaded, or go insane.

The other will hopefully find peace someday. Hopefully.

Who am I kidding? You're gonna carry that weight.

I mean, imagine your Only War character walking into some comfy pastoral village. At first he doesn't talk much to the locals, but they're human and they seem friendly enough that he hasn't shot anybody. They begin noticing all kinds of things about him - his clothes are weird, he stop and stares into the distance sometimes for no reason, he basically never sleeps - and when they /do/ catch him sleeping, they can tell he's completely exhausted. Even so, the slightest sound wakes him up, and he reaches for that strange thing that's always clipped to his belt. He doesn't talk much, and when he does, he's talking to someone who isn't there. He smells burnt half the time and grimy the other half. He never gets any letters from friends, and nobody's come to town looking for him.

Eventually, they're gonna start asking all kinds of weird questions. Who is he, where is he from, what does he do?

How is he supposed to explain all of that? How is he supposed to explain the grim darkness of the far future to people who haven't even seen the whole of their own planet, nevermind a galaxy filled with blood and suffering and the laughter of the Dark Gods, where a fascist, theocratic, genocidal, xenophobic regime collapsing and decaying from the inside has been the last, best hope for humanity for 10,000 years because everyone else is even /worse/?

Where is he even supposed to begin explaining any of that? Does he want to? Or will he take his nightmares with him to the grave?
>>
>>46669195
>That
That was a very on-point tale.
Honestly, he'd probably brush it off and say something vague/cryptic, like "Another land in another world. If you don't want me around, I'm happy to leave."
Mostly cause he doesn't care to talk about it and would rather run away again than deal with trying to explain something that complex.
>>
>>46669195
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc2OvrpzjvM
>>
>>46666448
The noblebright in grimderp can be used to fuck with the shitty setting and group and make for a funny story, grimderp in noblebright turns you into a That Guy of the highest caliber.
>>
File: Sonic the Serbian.png (87 KB, 490x900) Image search: [Google]
Sonic the Serbian.png
87 KB, 490x900
>>46666448
Definitely the latter, not even a question. People who play Grimdark characters in Noblebright settings will seem as if they try too hard even if they aren't. There's no way not to make it seem fucking boring and contrarian.

That's not to say the noblebright character can't be seen as boring and contrarian too, but there's at least a positive struggle against a prevailing misery that can be played up for its futility and earnestness. There's appeal there that I really don't think the grimdark character can achieve.
>>
40k is a noblebright setting from an ork's perspective.

Checkmate.
>>
File: 5532408728_8142ae143c_z[1].jpg (79 KB, 563x587) Image search: [Google]
5532408728_8142ae143c_z[1].jpg
79 KB, 563x587
>grimdark from an orc's perspective is a cozy, medieval setting where the only threat of violence comes from a clearly defined evil that's always overcome by the good guys before it can grow too powerful and Dakka does not exist because it hasn't been invented yet
>>
>>46666448
I wouldn't play anything with anyone if they used those terms to describe it.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.