[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good evening, /tg/. I'm doing some worldbuilding for a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: Pantheon.jpg (193 KB, 1238x744) Image search: [Google]
Pantheon.jpg
193 KB, 1238x744
Good evening, /tg/.

I'm doing some worldbuilding for a campaign that I'd like to run for some friends, but I've had some trouble thinking up some gods to fill out the setting's pantheon. I really like the idea of having nine gods, with eight of them having 'reflections' and orbiting a central 'king' deity.

So, the five gods that I've thought up so far are Life/Death, Peace/War, and Knowledge, with the God of Knowledge being the central deity -- a sort of self-sacrificing 'All-Father' figure.

The God of Life is concerned with childbirth, fertility, agriculture -- wherever there's something being born, or growing, or nourishing, you pray to this one.

The God of Death isn't evil, but rather a psychopomp performing its function in transporting the souls of the deceased to the other side and then determining where they go in the afterlife. A figure to be feared, maybe, but not reviled.

The God of Peace is really the god of civilization. Art, music, poetry -- all of the beautiful things that we fill our lives with when we aren't fighting to protect them.

The God of War is both beneficent and terrible. Wars can be fought to defend and they can be fought to conquer, and this god handles both.

I need two more pairs to round out my pantheon.

Do you guys have any ideas?
>>
Bump.

I'm really drawing a blank here, guys.
>>
The King Deity is in a coma but that is kept hidden.
some of the gods are actively working to keep him that way so they can grow more powerful.
>>
>>46658573
Sacrifice/Avarice

God of Sacrifice is concerned with the noble ideal, that people should always be willing to give to others and concern not with themselves. Favored by heroics and paupers, although others are concerned about being taken advantage of or having nothing left for themselves.

God of Avarice is concerned with it's own benefit, passionately working towards doing what it can for greater reward. In a positive light they seem focused and willing to work hard to gain what they can. In a negative light they are considered thieves and liars, always trying to steal from others for themselves.
>>
The God of Chaos - A guardian of those willing to take risks, chances and the ones that defy those above themselves. Neither just nor unjust, he just wants to prevent stagnation and promote evolution of the future. Deity of fortune, gambling, desire and advancement. May have a bad relationship with most other Gods, to being a bit of a loose bullet in everyone's schemes. There has been rumors that the God itself has changed across time, giving his title and powers to whoever can best him in games of skill and chance, even to mortals clever enough.

The God of Order - The Deity of kings, rulers and emperors, policemen, fathers and traditions. Protects both the values and morals across time, and grants his blessings to those who uphold the values of family and friendship, and willing to defend their honor. He rarely has spanning schemes, he only acts in response to the movements of his family, in order to prevent them from ruining what is valuable in the world.
>>
The God of Miracles - A deity who's purpose is to grant those who are willing to test themselves the power to achieve something impossible. The Deity of mercy, adventurers, saints and clergy (even aiding those of his family if they are capable) and survivors.

The God of Cruelty - A strange one, usually consireded a devil figure. In reality, he understands that some things are to be protected, no matter what. He aids those who don't care about consequences, and who are willing to become villains for a cause. The Deity of sacrifice, dictators, criminals and survivors.

They both protect survivors, one because they had the power to endure, and the other because they had the willpower to move on even when facing loss or certain defeat.
>>
>>46659325
>>46659382
>>46659564
These are good ideas so far! Please keep them coming!

Keep in mind that it's a viking-inspired setting, if that helps.
>>
>>46659564
>The God of Cruelty is the deity of sacrifice
>While there's also a God of Sacrifice
That sounds like a bit of a conflict anon
>>
>>46658573
The God of Creation
The god of crafters, bakers, anything that was made and anybody that, well, creates. Can represent anything from a single brick in a home to rampant, unchecked growth.

The God of Destruction
The god of wildfires, entropy, destroyers, and all that keeps life in check. Not necessarily evil, but rarely an objectively "good" force.

Though really, they're practically the gods of life and death renamed and with the flavor a bit changed
>>
File: isthatapenguin.jpg (16 KB, 109x108) Image search: [Google]
isthatapenguin.jpg
16 KB, 109x108
>>46658573

Is that a fuckin' penguin?
I'm more interested in the Penguin God desu
>>
>>46659777
I only wrote Chaos, Order, Miracles and Cruelty, anon, the other two were of someone else.

The God of Beasts - Deity of nature, strength, impulse, love and rage. The guardian of all impulses of mortals, who grants them strength whenever they let their animal impulses take over and go wild.

The God of Apathy - Deity of oracles, wisdom, stewards and acolytes. A Deity who values detachment from others, and from your own judgments, and opening your mind to the world in a fair way, seeing everything as it is, without letting subjective values cloud your ideas.
>>
>>46660030
God of Penguins, the god of winter, snow, and ice. It is said that blizzards are the god's ravenous hunger and that icicles are the toothy maw of doom. Still, while terrible when its hunger is riled, the soft fluffy down of the Penguin God muffles and protects people, insulating and keeping houses warm during the windy winter months and ensuring that the nest egg of spring hatches every year. Long winters are considered the Penguin God taking extra time to ensure the coming spring is exceptionally ripe.
>>
File: 1459942057520.jpg (21 KB, 570x570) Image search: [Google]
1459942057520.jpg
21 KB, 570x570
>>46660166

This needs to be a thing. 10/10, would worship. Just needs a name, now. "Pengi" is too generic, so I propose "Hoos". Like a Scotsman saying "House".
>>
>>46660333
G'Nuin, at attempt at the pronunciation which the Penguin God itself used when asked for its proper name.
>>
Hmm I challenge for a creative take on a love god
>>
>>46660374

I hope OP is paying attention to this. We've literally handed him pure theological gold.
>>
>>46660530
I'm paying attention.

The game is going to be about pseudo-viking settlers establishing a colony on a newly-discovered continent -- a fantasy Vinland.

All of my gods so far are meant to be positive, so it's hard for me to come up with equally positive opposites.
>>
>>46660530
The opposite of the Penguin God is the Bear God of Summer. Normally docile and pleasing to look at, people are thankful for its presence for chasing away the winter but wary of the dangers. Like the bears it represents, it is fierce when angered and the droughts and heat-caused forest fires are the result. The Bear God is seen as a pillar of fire, standing tall and proud and keeping all other nature spirits in check.

Fish are the representation of the seasons. During the summer, the Bear God comes out and feasts on the fish, staying for three months while it does so. During the winter, the Penguin God arrives and feasts while the Bear God is in hibernation.

>>46660621
I'm not sure I'm doing any good with the positive aspect. I'm mostly thinking of how people might view them - both in a positive light, for people who think well of the gods and seek their protection, and in the negative light, for people who see them as dangerous and destructive.
>>
File: Tiny Cinnamon Bear.jpg (202 KB, 332x620) Image search: [Google]
Tiny Cinnamon Bear.jpg
202 KB, 332x620
>>46660833

I post a picture of what appears to be a penguin I spotted in OP's picture and now we have two actually deities because this anon is crackling with creative energies.

I'd post a fire bear since that seems to be more representative of the subject matter, but I haven't one. Pic still related, though.
>>
OP here. How does this sound?

Life = Spring.
War = Summer.
Death = Autumn.
Peace = Winter.

Out of Life comes War, out of War comes Death, out of Death comes Peace, and out of Peace comes Life.
>>
I'm heading to bed, guys. Thanks for your help! Please post any other ideas that you might have.
>>
The Little God

Sheer pettiness and spite, exists because despite our efforts to be good people, to be kind and virtuous; when somebody walks slowly in front of you, you still kinda wish they'd trip and hurt themselves.

Exists as a part of human nature, but really comes into play when people spite each other for purely selfish or petty reasons. When someone burns a place down rather than sell it, when somebody sells out another for a pittance, when the cruel way is easier than the right way: that's where the Little God dwells, with his little hates and his little crimes.
>>
>>46659170
>>>40kgeneral
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.