[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40k thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: 1455221642810.jpg (157 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1455221642810.jpg
157 KB, 1920x1200
Hi guys, new to WH40K(acc I only watched the shit CGI movie Ultramarines and had a friend tell me a little about it)
Want to get to know it even more, want to know the basics of lore and games to kind of impress him
>inb4 "wut 2 lazy to research yourself?"
I am, but I think it's easier if I ask you
Thanks anyways, for the Emperor
>>
>>46654276
>shit CGI movie

That movie is an under appreciated gem that people just like to pass off because "muh ultrasmurfs" and other memes that inhibit actual analysis and critical thinking.
>>
>>46654313
I say shit because I don't like the CGI and how they did it, perhaps I should've phrased my sentance better, the story is brilliant but somewhat mediocre
>>
>>46654366
>the story is brilliant but somewhat mediocre

wat.png
>>
>>46654489
dubs don't lie, I wanted to say predictable, excuse me because English isn't my first language, i mean, they come to save someone, they get ambushed and in the end of the film the few that were left save the day and become greater in future
>>
>>46654313
>20 marines on a strike cruiser
>Apothecary using "having a bolter wouldnt have either" and being cynical about Big E after 100-300 years of service

Please btfo.
>>
>>46654626
hurt*
>>
>>46654626
>being this ass-mad over character development

I forgot 40kids hate anything that isn't screaming men with roidrage overcompensating for dicks that don't work.
>>
>>46654666

>Using 40kids term

Get the fuck out to /vg/

How could a apothecary, surviving few hundred years that it could actually show his age be cynical about the holy Emperor and the litanies of faith being just presented few seconds ago in the face of may be the last battle of his? Fucking stupid.
>>
>>46654666
Anyways, stop derailing this Slaanesh.
>>
>>46654666
Fuck off Satan, no one has time for your bait today.
>>
>>46654313
And the Chaplain not sensing the possessed captain which skill was like 4 * 100% of the normal space marine skills, and this crozius mechanic that made the berserkers go slow mo and fall to the ground (?)
>>
>>46654756
It's been canon for 7 years that astartes can be made from adult or even elderly humans, for all we know he might be on one of his first missions.
>>
>>46654891

No, the point of the plot was that the captain and the apothecary were survivors of the last squad as the two dudes at the end were. Why the fuck few hundred year old astartes would be cynical and not totally commited.
>>
>>46654756
>how could any soldier be cynical
>space muhreens can never have personality

You are what is holding back 40k from ever having anything resembling decent writing, because anytime someone tries to create a character, people like you opt to say that anything other than "FEEEEER THE EMPRAAAA" and reposting 1d4chan memes is awful. Grow up.

>>46654836
Same way that your beloved Emperor couldn't figure out that his son had turned to Chaos or that Russ was clinically braindead.
>>
>>46654932

I am just saying that in several books there was stated that people were chosen chaplains for their zeal, apothecaries for wanting to help brothers etc - just predispositions, and I dont know why a apothecary who saw probably deaths of countless battle brothers would be still cynical about it. I dont say that every marine should be zealous, but that comment should be coming from one of the greenies and the veterans would berate them. Who the fuck gives a strike cruiser to 8-12 people besides.
>>
>>46654891
Since when?
>>
File: 1460377618251.jpg (137 KB, 500x661) Image search: [Google]
1460377618251.jpg
137 KB, 500x661
>start researching about the multiple factions of W40K
>go to https://www.games-workshop.com/
>realize miniatures are too expensive
>stay only reading 1d4chan and playing Dawn of War

Such is life
>>
>>46655011
>cynicism is a sign of being a novice

This is the level of understanding that 40kids show about human interaction and attitude.
>>
>>46654891
Yeah, right. Because in 30k they didnt have problems with Kor Phareon and because they would give out gene seed to someone who has a decade of life left with a frail body than to a young man at the peak of his athletic possibilites.
>>
>>46654666
>I forgot 40kids hate anything that isn't screaming men with roidrage overcompensating for dicks that don't work.
If you aren't just a troll, you're retarded. Space Marines are brainwashed child soldiers who never really develop emotionally beyond the state of children, and have their brains scrambled so bad it is now nigh impossible for them to turn traitor outside of stunning circumstances. Being cynical about the Emperor would earn you a month in the Penitentiary.
>>
File: 1454381622091.jpg (43 KB, 259x270) Image search: [Google]
1454381622091.jpg
43 KB, 259x270
>>46654891
>It's been canon for 7 years that astartes can be made from adult or even elderly humans, for all we know he might be on one of his first missions.
You're baiting so hard it actually is reducing your IQ, like if anybody falls for this bait, there is no saving their feeble minds. Like I could just start listing names proving you're full of shit, but I won't bother because anybody who actually cares about 40k knows you're a troll anyway.
>>
>>46655063
You could play the 40k tabletop RPGs, if your into that sorta thing.

You can get free scans of the book off of /tg/, its pretty darn fun.
>>
>>46655066
Ofcourse it is. In wh40k its all about being pure and being cynical is showing that you strayed too far from your road/you are green.
>>
>>46655097
>space marines never develop emotionally

Whew! Looks like the GW writing division decided to take a step down and listen to the fans more. Funny enough, none of these people complained about cynical space marines in Dawn of War, interesting how that works.

>>46655114
>anyone that disagrees with me is bait!

Nice hugbox, kiddo'.
>>
>>46655066
Besides, those are Ultramarines. Codex astartes. And even if its possible - that apothecary is showing bad example to those greenies, and he shouldnt burrow the zeal of the new ones by showing that stupid, cringe worthy one liners of his. But, ofcourse is not possible. And you are pissing me off so badly by that borderline trolling
>>
>>46655133

Yeah, currently I'm playing a Only War campaign on Roll20 and I played a Rogue Trader one.
Basically we are a Hive world guerilla fighting against Chaos in the underhive behind enemy lines.
Fun times
>>
>>46655211
He's giving them advice to keep them alive, better than advising them to rush headlong at guns screaming prayers and getting shot.

But of course, I forgot that we can't have anything in 40k resembling logic or intelligence, can't alienate the players too much.
>>
File: 1442309524104.png (98 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1442309524104.png
98 KB, 625x626
>>46655189
>Nice hugbox, kiddo'.
You're fooling nobody by claiming you're not baiting when you obviously are. Astartes can't be made from old men, it's one of the major plot points of the Horus Heresy as Luther and Kor Phaeron can only be made into heavily augmented individuals who fall short of Astartes. Space Marines can only be made from young adult males, although this is risky due to the casualty rate for one in their twenties being obscenely high. This rate goes down the younger the recruit is, the best being before puberty so Gene Seed can capitalize on the maturation of the male body and hijack the testosterone.

But by all means, continue to be an obvious troll in a 40k thread. Maybe you could show us on the dolly where GW touched you, friend? Was it Squats?
>>
>>46654313
It wasn't shit but it wasn't good either
>>
>>46655189
>Whew! Looks like the GW writing division decided to take a step down and listen to the fans more. Funny enough, none of these people complained about cynical space marines in Dawn of War, interesting how that works.
Cyrus was cynical to the Chapter, which he had full right to because Kyras was a fucking heretic and many of the Blood Ravens had secretly been corrupted by Chaos. Being cynical about the Emperor is something else entirely. Heresy in fact. Shit that Chaplains will smack you down hard for.

Of course, the Blood Ravens have always been a special snowflake chapter asking for something horrible to happen to. The Codex separates psykers from positions of command for a good damned reason.
>>
>>46655280
He was cynical because his comrades rushed in screaming about the Emperor(Boreale).

Like or not, he was a man of little faith.

And see, anytime someone actually bothers to do something fresh with the setting it gets screamed at for being "special snowflake" by people who will then turn around and ask when the plot is ever going to advance.

Well, which one do you guys want?

>>46655253
>the only reason you can point out 40ks many flaws is by being a troll!

t.GW shill
>>
>>46654313
>Under appreciated "gem"

>Fucking awful dialogue
>Godawful animation
>How the fuck are newly inducted space marines TACTICALS IN SECOND COMPANY
>Chaplain somehow stops time with his power weapon, whut?
>Space Marines dying to single bolt shots, fuckin lol
>Everybody behaves like a retard besides that Apothecary
>The Apothecary questions the Emperor and doesn't get smacked for it
>The Chaplain didn't detect the possession of the Captain, whut?
>Large force of Imperial Fists garrisoned, whut?
>>
>>46655362
No, he was cynical because the scouts he trained got sent off to die under the command of baldy. The only guy who loses faith utterly is Avitus and he dies with a bang.
>>
>>46655364
IF garrisoning a single book on a barren wasteland instead of locking it in reclusiam in phalanx. KEK
>>
File: 1442704463275.jpg (20 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1442704463275.jpg
20 KB, 250x250
>>46655362
>Well, which one do you guys want?
He wasn't cynical about the Emperor you dishonest twat. He was questioning Boreale's position and how he even was elevated to the position in the first place due to the guy managing to get FIVE HUNDRED FUCKING MARINES KILLED.

FIVE HUNDRED

That kind of shit should get a Captain's name erased from the Capter's history or turned into a figure of permanent disgrace, posthumously stripped of rank or excommunicated. Or something, because fucking up so bad you lose five companies of space marines is horrifying.

And no, the Blood Ravens are indeed special snowflakes. Any other Chapter would have simply been declared Excommunicae Traitoris by the Inquisition after Kyras' turn to Chaos, especially when Gabriel blabbed his mouth to them in the first place. Additionally anybody who uses large amounts of Librarians is no better than all those shitty fan fiction chapters spammed on TG all the time, "Muh blatant disregard for force org". Having a shitload of Librarians like the Blood Ravens where they operate more like Eldar when it comes to war IS fucking snowflake central, especially when your Chapter Master is a god damn Librarian. The only Chapter allowed to get away with that shit is the Grey Knights, because the Grey Knights are all specially trained and warded against possession. Normal Librarians meanwhile crack, which is what happened to Kyras and led to the Aurelian Heresy. That whole fuckup and every world destroyed during it is on the Blood Ravens. I agree with the other guy, you -are- a blatant troll.
>>
>>46655011
> who puts 12 marines on a strike cruiser
Space Wolves. They have a ludicrously large fleet.
Like, 12 battle barges and 30 strike cruisers huge.
>>
>>46655413
>only guy who loses faith

Any of them can fall to Chaos, ergo any of them can lose their faith :^)

>>46655364
>chaplain didn't detect possession

Neither could the Emperor, kiddo.
>>
>>46655418
That too. The phalanx is the same size as Luna, IE Earth's Moon. It's humongous and full of special rooms they could stash a daemonic tome in. Ward it and seal it as well. Or y'know.

HAND IT OVER TO THE ORDO MALLEUS YOU TOSSERS.

That right there never made a lick of sense, the Fists should have just given it to the local Malleus forces.
>>
>>46655524
>Neither could the Emperor, kiddo.
The Emperor actually knew the entire Horus Heresy was going to happen from the start courtesy of the HH books. The Emperor out Tzeentch'es Tzeentch.
>>
>>46655514
>what are the Exorcists
>what are the rune priests
>what are the storm seers

Chapters have a habit of elevating psykers or screwing with force organization all the time.

If you're going to rage over lore being altered, at least get the lore right in the first place.
>>
File: han really.jpg (18 KB, 782x820) Image search: [Google]
han really.jpg
18 KB, 782x820
>>46655362
>the only reason you can point out 40ks many flaws is by being a troll!

>Pointing out that old men can't become space marines makes you a shill
>mfw

2/10 troll harder you fuckin casul.
>>
>>46655514
>Put in position of power after comitting major fuckup
>Large amount of psykers, nonprotected against chaos
It's almost like they were a Thousand Sons successor chapter.
>>
>>46655585
>what are the Exorcists
>what are the rune priests
>what are the storm seers

Nigga do you even fluff, like at all? None of those three Chapters have a Psyker for a Chapter Master. The Exorcists for the most parts are closer to blanks as they are all possessed by daemons and then have them exorcised to ward them against further taint. We don't know about them to any greater degree, just that they have three named Librarians in the books.

Stormseers and Rune Priests are just the names for White Scar and Space Wolf librarians, and the Scars are nothing special beyond that point. The Rune Priests however of course draw their power from the soul of Fenris itself which provides a significant shield against Chaos. But they do not have an obscene amount of Librarians like the Blood Ravens, or have a Librarian Chapter Master, or use their Librarians like Eldar.
>>
>>46655362
T. (Insert dicks here)

Seriously you faggot, why do you keep shit posting doing this crap meme? Summers like another two months away.

Kill yourself, OP is a fag, Magnus did nothing right, Yadda yadda.
>>
>>46655695
>draw their power form the soul of Fenris itself
>this isn't special snowflake

Wolf-fags actually believe this.
>>
>>46655604
Well yes, they most likely are, and that's another reason why they ought to be exterminated given the danger of mutation with 1k Son seed. At least the other Chapters founded from traitor seed are more reliable, like the Minotaurs or Death Eagles.
>>
>>46655695
>The Rune Priests however of course draw their power from the soul of Fenris itself which provides a significant shield against Chaos
What the shit?
>>
>>46655721
Oh, Wolves are total snowflakes (they even have runes for that shit), but they aren't so snowflakey they royally fuckup the Codex Astartes Organization of command. Even the fucking SPACE WOLVES respect that separation for the most part. The only thing they mix are Chaplains with Apothecaries. Which will have far less disastrous results than some retard thinking a psyker leading a space marine chapter could not go wrong, ever.
>>
>>46655364
>>46654313
>>46655418
>>46655541

Dan Abnett needs to stick to writing about guardsmen.
>>
>>46655733
It's complicated. Planets have a psychic presence in 40k, basically souls, and heavily augmented by all the life on them. They can be used as a shield against daemonic forces, which is what the wolves do with their Rune-Priests drawing upon Fenris' soul. Exodite Eldar do a similar thing where the crystalline formations on their worlds protect their souls from Slaanesh.
>>
>>46655762
>royally fuckup the Codex Astartes Organization of command

They're above chapter limits, anon.

Pretty big fuck up right there.

>>46655703
t.Triggered :^)
>>
>>46655805
>They're above chapter limits, anon.
>Pretty big fuck up right there.
Not really. Chapter size is not one of the most stringent part of the Codices- the main work Guilliman did was to break up the Space Marine Legions, which included Titan Legions, Army auxillary units, and navy elements tied to their fleets. The Codex broke this up so basically Space Marines didn't have their own private army following them around wherever they go. Plus Wolves aren't really legion building- there's only ~2,000 of them going by known sizes of the "Grand" Companies (which are just like 200 dudes).

Of course the Ultramarines are also total fucking hypocrites, because Ultramar retains a massive fleet and MULTIPLE full regiments of PDF trained to the level of Cadians all under the command of the Ultramarines. Pretty sure the Ultramarines still have a titan legion too.
>>
>>46655884
I really want to see a thing for the PDF of Space Marine worlds.

Come on, anon, you want Roman Republic Guardsmen/Byzantine Storm Troopers.
>>
>>46655801
Alright, so why is it that only the wolves have this mystical planet soul bullshit?
Why not the scars?
Or even the Blud rehvens.
Typhon Primaris would have a pretty good world spirit.
>>
>>46656026
Fenris has snow deus.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.