[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone play Traveller here? >pic related, the space furry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: Traveller_front_11.jpg (263 KB, 2008x945) Image search: [Google]
Traveller_front_11.jpg
263 KB, 2008x945
Does anyone play Traveller here?
>pic related, the space furry shit i'm trying to play
>>
yes. don't let your group use the rotating GM rule. my yes is pretty much a lie because of it...
fun when we do play though
>>
The Vargr are only "Furry" if you have an asshat in the group.
>>
>>46641800
>i'm trying to play
Is he from the Imperium or Julian space, or from Vargr space? With Vargr, that makes a difference. Left to their own cultural devices, they tend to be pack and charisma driven. If someone else is around running things or imposing some outside order, the Vargr respond by also stabilizing. Imperial and Julian Vargr are much less driven by instinct. Either could be played as a slightly more distractable human, but even that difference need not be mentioned.

Good sense of smell, poor color vision, and attracted to success and confidence.
>>
File: 1375402986288.jpg (61 KB, 640x386) Image search: [Google]
1375402986288.jpg
61 KB, 640x386
>>
>>46641800
yes, ct bk1-3 only, with an insatiable lust for standard and modified type s hulls, and an ambition to one day make the fucking mercenary cruiser into something useful

>>46643538
"FUCKING SCOUTS"
>>
What editions you guys playing? Any T5 players?
>>
I've played Traveller for years, but due to several of us moving in the last year or so my group hasn't been together since last summer :(
>>
Are hivers really roleplaying death traps? I really want to play one.
>>
I miss traveller so
>>
>>46645414
>Any T5 players?
Do such people actually exist?
>>
>>46645741
2,085 people got the rules sent to them via the Kickstarter, you've gotta imagine some of them played it.
>>
File: Standard Tabletop Game.jpg (164 KB, 740x493) Image search: [Google]
Standard Tabletop Game.jpg
164 KB, 740x493
>>46641800
I've played it quite a few times, but no game ever lasted long. Partially because of timing and the people involved, but also largely because of the way character creation works. Traveller creates 4 basic character types.

Character A - Struggled through my chosen career with a series of mediocre rolls, and ended up barely competent at my job, and useless at anything else.

Character B - Failed out of my desired career and my backup career and my backup-backup career and ended up as a drifter with a random assortment of skills.

Character C - Was smart enough to just start out as a drifter and got some ranks in Jack of all Trades, but have no specialty and no real use to the group.

Character D - Amazingly managed to get everything I wanted and end up as close to perfection as the system would allow, but now I'm 120 years old, my stats are all degrading, and everyone at the table hates me because I'm the only guy whose character is what he wanted it to be.

Basically, every game of Traveller I've ever played has suffered from no one really being happy with their character. The game is sort of a mook simulator, it's designed to build redshirts and commoners, the background NPCs of other games. So if you want that experience, it's probably okay. Like the most fun I ever had was when I just gave up and made a Dillettante, where the whole character was meant as a joke and intentionally useless at anything. But when we would try to make any kind of capable crew, we'd just end up with a bunch of yahoos, and everyone would be pretty bummed out about how much they sucked.
>>
>>46646037
I figured this would be a problem after I did a test game with some friends, so I was debating on whether to do the following: allow my players to automatically enlist in whatever career they want and only allow two terms, then the game starts.
>>
>>46646037
The way I did it was to say "terms have no direct correlation to time or age. You roll 4 terms, then the game starts", and also to add an XP points system.
>>
>>46645414
No-one's got that MAYDAY MAYDAY STUCK IN A MARC MILLER VANITY PROJECT cover?
>>
File: traveller1.png (209 KB, 735x952) Image search: [Google]
traveller1.png
209 KB, 735x952
>>46647114
>>
>>46647127
Damn, are you an x-boat or something?
>>
>>46645534
Aside from needing a hand puppet?
>>
>>46645723
Dunno what she's supposed to be. Too many fingers and not enough nipples (and incorrect ears) for Aslan. The nipple thing also applies to Vargr, which she doesn't have the muzzle for,
>>
>>46646037
>every game of Traveller I've ever played has suffered from no one really being happy with their character.
Which means they are approaching character generation with the wrong attitude, or playing the wrong edition. GURPS Traveller, Traveller Hero, T20, and TNE all provide more control over character generation.
>>
>>46646037
The system is sorta famous for forcing players to re-re-re-reroll characters, so it's sorta weird to have a group that'd completely go against that spirit and disallow scrapping crap characters.
>>
>>46646037
>>46649373
>>46651524
I haven't played yet, but I rolled a few sample characters and none of them looked too terrible, except one I tried to drag into the dirt on purpose (totally randomized stats, then thrown in a scout career) and even he looked playable.
>>
>>46651524
We never did that. I don't recall the book ever saying, "reroll your characters until you get them right", so if that's some unwritten rule, we were not aware of it, and that seems like pretty major flaw in the game in any case. We also usually took so long to roll up all our characters that people weren't in the mood to do it over and over. I'm sure there are people who would love the idea of just sitting around for a couple hours making ten characters each, but that did not appeal to our group.
>>
I played a game with my dad, who is really old-school gamer, as the GM.
It got really crazy when the random tables in his head gave us a planetoid sized Ancient starship in the middle of an asteroid field.
Then we stole it and were planning on invading the Empire with the fleet of seedships the AI took us to.
And then I got kicked out of the house, which killed off all the family campaigns.
>>
>>46652849

since when does "spirit" equate to "written rule"? plus, it's highly likely a player would have to reroll characters multiple times playing strictly by written rules anyway.
>>
>>46641800
>not playing based aslan
>>
>>46653045
Not by Mongoose Traveller, anyway.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.