[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the first RPG you ever played?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9
File: first.jpg (2 MB, 3256x2892) Image search: [Google]
first.jpg
2 MB, 3256x2892
What was the first RPG you ever played?
>>
>>46637836
Some archaic Lord of The Rings thing.
Party was The Other Fellowship of the Other Ring.
>>
>>46637836
Moldvay Basic
>>
>>46637836
Dnd 3.0 within a few months of release.

Me and some other new players jumped onto an existing and game converted to the new system. Tag alongs with half the level of the main party. My half elf sorcerer got used at a trap springer for about 4 level ups...
>>
>>46637836
AD&D 2e, but via the Baldur's Gate game manual and using leaps of logic and bullshit math to emulate all the dice using only d6s stolen from board games.
>>
First "proper" RPG? When I DM'd a game of PTA on the MSPA forums, real world stuff happened it kinda... fizzled out...
>>
>>46637836
Free-form game my friend was running.

I played a drunken priest. Who is now a permanent fixture in the world, as a drunken god.
>>
>>46637836
Dungeons & Dragons 3.0 in 2001. I had always been interested in RPGs, but had no one to play with until I was already out of high school.
>>
>>46637836
Some trainwreck amalgam of the first three editions of D&D
>>
File: The Survivors.jpg (118 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
The Survivors.jpg
118 KB, 640x480
>>46637836
Mentzer Basic way back in '86. Have my surviving dice from that box and the Moldvay Expert set I got for my birthday that year.
>>
i haven't played anything yet, rather embarrassingly.

been thinking of picking up an old SPI wargame (something like 6th fleet, Sinai, etc.) and using it to simulate battles for fun (i have no friends to play with) but i don't know if that's a good idea, which is why i'm on this board, to deduce if that may be the case.

(it doesn't have to be a SPI game, the broader question is whether playing a 2 player wargame as one person for simulation purposes is worthwhile.)
>>
Freeform ERP with certain childhood friend.
>>
AD&D 2E in 1995. I was introduced to the concept in the late '80s by an older kid, but he just briefly explained the concept. A year or two later I was on a trip with my mom and walked past a FLGS (we didn't have any where I grew up) and saw some RPG stuff in the window. She offered to buy it for me, but instead I declined then that night made what I thought an RPG was using some hotel stationary and my M.U.S.C.L.E guys, then made her play it with me.

So I guess my homebrew M.U.S.C.L.E game was the first RPG I played.
>>
D&D 4e.

The campaign lasted two years and it was great.
>>
>>46637836
technically, Rifts. Though I didn't get past character creation.
>>
>>46637836
Knowingly? Pathfinder Organized Play.
In hindsight... Knights of the Old Republic.
>>
>>
>>46637836
Earthdawn. I didn't really understand the rules, and I was especially baffled by the magic. This was slightly problematic in that I was playing a Nethermancer, but the GM did an alright job of keeping me within my limits while allowing me to have fun with spells.
>>
>>46637836
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd ed.

The DM played the "your character does what you do" and so I spent most of the first session paralyzed after looking at the DM when confronted by a hag. Fun times.
>>
>>46638964
What was there to be baffled by? Spellcasting literally uses the same rules as rest of the system. The spells themselves are very straight forward in their effects, it is a lot less exploitable than 3.x DnD in regard.
>>
>>46637836
GURPS, fantasy.
>>
>>46637836
Some sort of GURPS construct. The DM was kinda garbage and the plot was pretty lame. I did gain a masochistic fondness for GURPS, though.
>>
>>46637836
First addition D&D with my dad. It was a long time ago.
>>
>>46639184
It was my first RPG, with the rules explained very quickly by someone with a stutter and an anxiety disorder.
>>
File: Old-School-Adventurers.jpg (141 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Old-School-Adventurers.jpg
141 KB, 1024x768
The AD&D 2E starter set circa 1999. My dad DMed, and my brother, my mom and I played.

My brother always insisted on playing Darkblade, since he was on a major LOTR kick at the time, and he bullied me into playing Sunfyre.

My dad also exploited my fears of spiders by making giant tarantulas fall onto everybody on that fucking bridge.
>>
>>46638202
Actually scratch that, the first RPG I ever played was a weird home brew that was basically just free form where the "winner" was whoever rolled higher on a single d6.

We were in elementary school and didn't know how RPGs really worked.
>>
>>46637836
D&D 4e. I didn't really like it, so I didn't play it much.
>>
File: 1442978690881.jpg (25 KB, 855x187) Image search: [Google]
1442978690881.jpg
25 KB, 855x187
AD&D. We never got very far, in terms of levels, and there was a lot of "Oh shit, I'm gonna die if we don't get outta here" with the low hit point totals but we still found plenty of time to screw around and filch tons of loot.

It was a good time.
>>
Russian Drunken Bear Fighting
It was just a page long for rules and was a terrible system but we had fun with it.
>>
Tmnt and other strangeness
>>
>>46637836
Some bootleg version of D&D where Subterfuge was a main stat instead of Charisma, speedos where considered legit armor and a pretty good one might I add, and those shitty corn flake decoder rings that came in the box granted ultimate power.

Other than that I'm currently playing Pathfinder as my first legit RPG.
>>
>>46638844
This was a thing, jeez the list of things to do this summer is nearly as long as my homework right now.
>>
>>46637836
Do computer adaptations of AD&D count, or does it have to be le IRL le flesh le pen le paper le ACTUALLY 3D REAL x3 meme? If so 4th edition.
>>
Middle Earth RPG.

It was ridiculous.
>>
File: DnDBasic.jpg (146 KB, 600x777) Image search: [Google]
DnDBasic.jpg
146 KB, 600x777
>>46637836
Technically Holmes Basic, but it was a single, abortive session in which I never really got the chance to do anything, and the DM pretty much ignored the rules and made shit up. It wasn't too much later that I got Moldvay Basic (B/X) and started running it for the neighborhood kids. This would've been somewhere around '81 or '82.
>>
>>46637836
It kinda bothers me that there's so much roleplaying in RPGs nowadays.

all this story and narrative and plot and immersion and "rule of cool" and world detail and NPC backstory,
there's really quite a LOT of it that you have to skip through if
you just wanna build your char, roll some dice, bust some enemies, grab some loot.
>>
Played a free form version of Hero system, sort of a weird Sliders game that was pretty shit. I wanted to play D&D because I wanted to see how demonic my church made it sound, but my DM said that it was too advanced for a first timer. To this day, I'll never play hero system. (3.5/3.75 fo life!)
>>
>>46638368
>Some trainwreck amalgam of the first three editions of D&D
All the old school stuff is pretty similar, so it actually wouldn't be too hard to do a good job with this if you're talking about some combination of OD&D, 1st and 2nd edition AD&D and/or Basic D&D. If it's a combination of 3e and two previous editions, as I suspect it was, it probably was a clusterfuck.
>>
File: Z0045536.jpg (109 KB, 830x1024) Image search: [Google]
Z0045536.jpg
109 KB, 830x1024
>>46637836
The 2e starter set version of "the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure Game". After TSR was bought but before it was totally dissolved.

Before that I had DragonStrike, which did a great job of priming the pump.
>>
>>46637836
Freeform dungeon crawls as a kid. Later on everyone switched to 3rd edition and the rules were too complex for my kid brain to understand, so 3rd edition killed my will to play rpgs for well over a decade. First actual rpg I played after that was Savage Worlds.
>>
>>46637836
Either an M&M 2e or D&D 3.5 pbp

My first IRL games was 3.5

I hate 3.5
>>
>>46637836
D&D 3.5, played a dwarf cleric named Gromgar. Say what you want about the system, but I had a great time.
>>
>>46637836
I think my first ever was some 3.0 game I remember being kind of a bad experience. First game I enjoyed was a 2nd edition game a friend ran.
>>
>>46637836
D&D 3rd Edition, back in middle school. This was a year or so after its release.

I am such a newfag.
>>
Ad&d2e
>>
DSA (The Dark Eye) Third Edition, must have been in 2001.
>>
>>46637836
Freeform

Now excuse me while I go shoot myself in the head.
>>
>>46645543
Not all freeforms are bad. As long as it wasn't some anime bullshit you're not nearly as bad as, say, a 3aboo.
>>
>>46637836
Shadowrun 2e
>>
>>46637836
DnD 3.5
>>
>>46645576
No, it was a fantasy game and I played a serpentfolk

Basically a naga from WoW. Emperor have mercy on this sinner...
>>
>>46645737
There's way worse out there. Unless you have a snake fetish and it was some kind of scalie rp you're still better than most players.
>>
>>46637836
Top Secret. Still one of the best sessions I've ever played.
>>
>>46645787
No, it was purely because naga are badasses and great at tearing shit up.
>>
>>46645842
Then you're perfectly normal.
>>
Drakar och Demoner (Dragons and Demons), a swedish fantasy game with my dad.
>>
Fighting Fantasy Book 5 "City of Thieves". Then BECMI D&D with other people.
>>
>>46637836
Warcraft 3-- OH NOT IN THE FFACE PLEASE NOAAGHGHHGAHGAHGHAHGA

Forum RPG about wh40k, I was invited to DM for a few orks because I was fluff-fagging in some other place.
>>
Cyberpunk 2020, in 1998. It was already hilariously out of date then.
>>
>>46637836
One of my best friends invited me over to play a game on his 16th birthday. It was some homebrew thing his little brother had cooked up and it was just me, him, his brother, and his parents.

Played a dwarf warrior. Found out that the farther I charged the more damage I dealt to whatever I hit, which was pretty sweet. Wound up impersonating a cannonball for most of that session.
>>
>>46637836
A home brewed, super simple d10 (as in, just a d10, not d%) with my dad, brother and sister. As we gt older, we moved to Palladium, and then I got into WHFRP with my dad and his bros.

>>46645915
How come no one has made phone app versions of Fighting Fantasy yet? I'd buy it.
>>
>>46637836
Basic Set D&D. Oldest sister got me hooked back in 1982
>>
>>46646053
>How come no one has made phone app versions of Fighting Fantasy yet? I'd buy it.

They'd flop because you can't put your finger between the pages.
>>
>>46637836
The Witcher, shortened pocket edition

And I still consider it one of the best games ever made, even with all its flaws
>>
>>46637836
HeroQuest with my brothers. I was forced to use the mage because he had like zero equipment he could wear.
>>
AD&D, before the DMG came out. 1978

Is this thread attracting more 'veterans' than most on /tg/ or are 20% of people on this board over 45?
>>
>>46646319
There are also other options:
>Fathers/mothers playing with their children, using their old rule-books.
>Post-commie nations getting sudden explosion of RPGs in early 90s and sticking with those games till mid 00s
>New people starting "chronologically" with game editions
And so on and forth
>>
>>46646319
Hey, >>46642558 here, and I'm just shy of 45. I started playing in 4th grade. I usually end up being the 2nd or 3rd oldest person in threads here that ask about age. I imagine that folks with more noteworthy stories to tell (which in this case means folks who started earlier or with an earlier system) are more likely to respond. I also imagine that a lot of the folks here who started before the mid eighties got into RPGs at a similarly young age.
>>
One of my brother's friends got us all into 2nd edition sometime in 1993. This inspired me to try my hand at it via DragonQuest and DragonStrike, which eventually led to giving Dragonlance 5th age a whirl then oWoD.

The 90's were a busy decade. Is this how immortals feel?
>>
I had been roleplaying for years without even seeing a rulebook. First time I ever roleplayed we simply narrated all of the situations and events. There were no dice roles and no difinitive rules. I realized that I liked DM'ing more than playing, and came up with my own "rules" that were all designed to allow the players to succede in any given situation as long as they tried to think outside the box. Needless to say, alot of my players died, but thpse that didn't soon became proficient PC's, who could think their way out of almost any logic puzzle I threw at them. Then I moved, and I did not roleplay again for about 3 years, but in that time I aquired all of the 3.5 rulebooks and read them all cover to cover. The first time I ever actually used dice however was when some friends invited me to play Shadowrun. Since then I have collected a library of roleplaying rulebooks and designed countless roleplaying systems of my own. My players all agree that I'm the best DM they have ever had. I think its because of those humble beginings really, when all you have is the story its really easy to focus on that, and deliver an awesome experience. I'm not afraid to bend rules, make new ones, or even ignore them entirely, for the sake of the Players' experience.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.