[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: read nigga read.jpg (320 KB, 500x572) Image search: [Google]
read nigga read.jpg
320 KB, 500x572
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck [Embed]

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Don't critique DMs if you haven't DM'd edition
>>
Reminder that if you have never dmed before your opinions on how to dm are super valuable.
>>
>>46635800
Threadly reminder that there isn't an UA article next month, just more DM's Guild shilling.

Reminding you all early before people start bitching on the 4th.
>>
What spells / tactics should I take or adopt as a Lil 4 Bladesinger who plans on being in a duo with an elf barbarian?

I understand I'm not a Frontline fighter, it's just more for story purposes.
>>
>>46635800
>Don't critique DMs if you haven't DM'd edition
Still salty, I see.
Your advice is still shit. Starting the thread won't change that.
>>
>>46635946
You're a mage, so the sky's the limit. CC effects are usually really good at low levels and they'll let you and the Barb wail on people more effectively. You also will want at least one aoe spell because barbs are bad at that.
>>
Reposting.

Thoughts on this ability?

>if a creature within 20 feet of this creature would roll with advantage, it rolls with disadvantage instead.

Planning on putting it on a black cat familiar.
>>
>>46636105
It doesn't specify friendly or hostile. Is that intentional?

In either case, it should trigger a save. Wis or Cha.
>>
>>46636105
As a permanent effect? Sounds broke as fuck. It should probably be a recharge ability that works as a reaction.
>>
>>46636153
It affects everything.
>>
File: its a trap.png (344 KB, 764x476) Image search: [Google]
its a trap.png
344 KB, 764x476
>>46635800
If your group ended up captured and locked away with some other half-dozen NPCs, what do you say is this, when they discuss breaking out amongst each other without making sure that all the NPCs are actually trustworthy?

Lack of intelligence or lack of wisdom? Or both?
>>
>>46636168
Congratulations: You've made a familiar that nobody in their right mind would ever take.
>>
>>46636266
Why? Eldritch blast has a range greater than 20 feet.
>>
>>46636266
Unless you send the fucker 30 ft away from you.
>>
>>46636294
>>46636295
I'm sure your fellow Barbarians, Paladins, and Melee Fighters will thank you.
>>
>>46636105
Terrible. It will destroy any sense of tactics you've managed to engender in your players, and outright ruin some classes (like Rogue).

Change it.

>When a creature within 20 feet of [this creature] would roll with advantage, roll a D20. If the result is a 1 or a 20, the creature rolls with disadvantage instead.

Makes it more unpredictable and not a sure thing, means your players (and intelligent monsters) will still actually try to help themselves and each other, while being wary of the chance that it could go wrong.
>>
>>46635946
Fairy Fire.
>>
>>46636019
I enjoy my Burning Hands a lot, and I hear great things about Sleep for low levels.
>>
Reposting level 20 mystic latest version.
https://drive.google.com/a/kenyon.edu/file/d/0B2bXgsHg7PtJNEdpNHBVRDVOXzA/view
>>
>>46636403
Would be a god tier spell if the partner was a rogue, imo less so with a barb.
>>
>>46636500
It's the best lvl1 support spell no matter the party composition.
Unless it's something extreme like an all-cleric party who only use save-based spells.
>>
>>46636336
This is a valid complaint. As a DM I try to make positioning really important. But for groups where this isn't a concern the ability throws them for a loop. I'll consider some alternatives.
>>
>>46635800
"If you're not a chef, you can't possibly know whether or not the food tastes good."
>>
>>46635970
>>46636696
Let's just pretend the egotistical autist that can't let things die with the thread didn't make this one
>>
>>46635800
Goddamn it, I'm a permaDM and in my one campaign before DMing I knew my DM wasn't that good after a few games.
>>
>>46636907
And you did the right thing: you started dming. Not bitching about people who do put in the time on an irrelevant Susan cross stitching board.
>>
File: image.jpg (357 KB, 1500x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
357 KB, 1500x1200
As a DM, I've come a realization about the "right way" to DM that has put everything in perfect clarity for me. The world beyond this world is mine to gaze upon, for my knowledge is vast and beyond your mortal scope.

All DMs are beholders.
>>
>>46636211
Well obviously your players understand the code that snitches get stitches.
>>
I want to play a holy warrior-themed character (so obviously cleric/paladin), but I am not sure which one of the two, or a combination of them, would be the most optimized character. Planning to focus on combat and damage rather than support.
>>
>>46636944
So people aren't allowed to criticize?
It helps you improve though
>>
>>46637008
Paladin. Divine Smite is one the the most useful combat abilities in this edition.
>>
In combat, does stuff like perception checks and intelligence checks take an action?
Examples: a wizard in a dark cave looking for rocks to cast Animate Object on
Attempting to track the footsteps of a just gone invisible enemy
Trying to remember the weaknesses of a dragon
>>
>>46637008
Vengeance Paladin if you just want to destroy the everloving shit out of something 1v1.
>>
>>46637038
It's situational. I wouldn't require an action to recognize a monster, but I might to scavenge materials in a dark cave.
>>
>>46637041
>Vengeance Paladin
>can either be some edgy shit head who unquestioningly kills in the name of his god, a religious zealot
>Or a guy who understands that the world isn't black and white, and that sometimes good people have to sacrifice their code of honour to get shit done
Should I be worried?
>>
>>46637008
Paladin is fightier. Even if you're a chaotic evil cleric of war people are still going to expect you to heal boo boos and fix conditions because they're just about the best at it.

Could always be a very religious Fighter.
>>
>>46637128
Which is kinda funny as most cleric specs are probably less healy overall than Bard and Paladin.
>>
I used to criticize all kinds of shit my DM did before I took up DMing, and then, after, I criticized him for the same shit.
>>
>>46637015
Personally I'd rather get criticism from experienced DMS. There are a lot of retarded players that echo retarded criticisms like "don't fudge rolls" or "it is the DMS job to cater to every desire every player has and if you don't you're railroading them."

Sorry to the few reasonable players out there, but you're drowned out by retards and the thread is better off with a hard-line rule preventing all players from criticizing DMS.
>>
>>46637172
Same desu; I could tell my first DM was a railroading asshole before I took up DMing.
>>
Is it just me, or is Rogue with Alert and Marksman pretty crazy re first-shot kill potential?
>>
>>46637041
>>46637034

Which aspect of Vengeance Paladin makes them so powerful 1 v 1? Their channel divinity?

Is it worth taking some levels in fighter for Action Surge?

>>46637128
Yes, I looked at the cleric's abilities, and they seemed mostly CC/support based. But CC can sometimes be really useful for offensive builds, so I figured I would ask.
>>
>>46637180
There's equal retarded players and DMs, from what I've seen
It's up to you, and more importantly, your group, to decide what's best for all of you.
Seriously though, "don't fudge rolls" and "DM must cater" are awful advice, doesn't matter who it comes from because there are advocates on both sides
>>
>>46637186
Ranged Rogue is basically a sniper compared to Hunter.
>>
>>46637198
Their Vow of Enmity channel divinity option, along with getting Hunter's Mark and Hold Person as Oath Spells, contributes to it greatly. There are a few odd builds out there that involve Getting to 4 in Fighter (Champion) for Action Surge and the expanded crit range, then just going Vengeance Paladin the rest of the way out as a critfisher.
>>
Pass Without Trace
>+10 to Stealth Checks

Invisibility
>??????

>my ranger6/rogue1 with expertise in stealth and pass without trace was better at stealth than my level 7 rogue with expertise in stealth and invisibility
Uhhh
>>
>>46637240

Plus if they go assassin, more cool stuff!
>>
>>46637240
Hunter gets +2 to archery
>>
>>46635840
What if you've DMed before and come to the conclusion you are either bad at it, or don't enjoy it?
>>
File: bass cannon.png (478 KB, 700x384) Image search: [Google]
bass cannon.png
478 KB, 700x384
>>46637198
Hunter's Mark gives an extra d6 of damage, Vow of Enmity gives you advantage on those attacks so they'll probably hit. If you prefer, you can Bane them to keep them from saving against the rest of your party.
You cannot run from a Vengence Paladin. They can track you through Hunter's Mark and Scrying, keep you from running with hold person, hold monster, and banishment, and can move fast as fuck with Misty Step, Haste, Dimension Door, and Relentless Avenger. If you're toe to toe with one, every time you attack, they can attack right back as a reaction if they used their Vow of Enmity.
Vengence Paladin: When it absolutely, positively, must die tonight.
>>
>>46637228
This.
In the end, the game exists for people to have a good time, and if your group has a good time through suffering, great! Do that. If not, do whatever will make people enjoy themselves at least half of the time, because nobody wants to sit down at a table for four hours and just get kicked around constantly.
>>
>>46637251
Pass without trace is retardedly powerful. +10 to stealth AND can't be tracked without magic? AND it's an AOE???
>>
File: YES.png (39 KB, 322x419) Image search: [Google]
YES.png
39 KB, 322x419
>>46637314
SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS
>>
Okay, how about this:

Whenever a creature within 15 feet of you would roll with advantage, you can use your reaction to give it disadvantage instead. If you do, for the next minute, any creature within 15 feet of you that would roll with advantage rolls with disadvantage instead. You must finish a short or a long rest before you can use this feature again.
>>
>>46637334
So a Ranger can easily outstealth for two hours per day any rogue of equal level. Even without the ranger dipping into rogue for expertise.
>>
>>46637421
Sorry. For more than two hours per day. Depends on the ranger's level.
>>
>>46637370
A minute is wayyyyy too long. The feature is sort of cool in short amounts but a 15 foot range is three tiles out in every direction which gives it some degree of safety through your frontliners AoO's as well. Especially since it's just a familiar, make it twice per long rest, use reaction to make one creature roll with disadvantage instead of advantage, done.
>>
>>46637421
Fortunately, adventurers rarely work alone.
Why not have the ranger cast it on themselves and the rogue and any other class with sneak proficiency?
>>
File: starvingDM.jpg (280 KB, 632x472) Image search: [Google]
starvingDM.jpg
280 KB, 632x472
I'm waiting for the day, but I desperately want to run a Dark Brotherhood style game for my players. They all roll rogues or stealth-based characters of some sort and the game is all about getting hits from your organization and the unique ways you can sneak in and murder them, bonus points for making it look like an accident, bonus bonus points for never being detected.
I fucking love stealth stuff and I'd LOOOOVE to participate or run a game like this. After our current campaign, the time will be nigh...
>>
>>46637437
No. I'm not going to make it a strictly good ability, where it's all upside. I want it to have the possibility to make fights more difficult for the party if used inappropriately.

What you're proposing doesn't do that. AoE is the simplest way I can think of to make it powerful but risky. If you can think of a way to do that in mind with what you're proposing, I'll consider it heavily.
>>
File: twins.jpg (112 KB, 1024x670) Image search: [Google]
twins.jpg
112 KB, 1024x670
>>46637449
That would never work.
>>
>>46637490
The problem with that is it might be super cool for the player doing it, but I garen-tee that for the paladins and barbarians and fighters, it will just be frustrating for them, aoe is definitely not the way to go with a disadvantage field. If you want it to be a tradeoff, make it so that the next attack roll or saving throw the familiar's owner makes has disadvantage as well, still twice per long rest.
>>
>>46637521
Oooh, cool critical role fanart. Why the fuck is the bear a dog?
>>
>>46637266
I think it was more to do with a "one shot, one kill" mentality, rather than the sustained fire of a ranger. The rogue lines up a shot with advantage and rolling handfuls of dice, while the Ranger lets out a barrage of arrows that deal lesser amounts of damage.
>>
>>46637582
That's cub Trinket. Vax and Vex don't have their magic items. That's them before Vox Machina.
>>
>>46637307
This actually sounds really badass. I think I know what I am playing.
>>
>>46636105
It makes it so that having any sort of edge actually makes you less likely to succeed? I don't like it. Advantage is caused by too many different things. This would mean, just for example, that a paralyzed creature is harder to hit than one that's actively defending itself.

Maybe if it only effected advantage caused by magic.
>>
File: ecksdee.png (6 KB, 224x401) Image search: [Google]
ecksdee.png
6 KB, 224x401
MM pg 329 doesn't explain how a creature who has been swallowed by a Giant Toad can break out. I imagine there has to be some way to do it, but it says the grappled condition ends at that point so you're not supposed to do a grapple contest?
>>
>>46638310
Cutting them out, probably. Not really a lot of room to wiggle in there, and once you are swallowed how do you think you are going to be UNswallowed except by cutting your way out?
>>
I'm going to be playing a monk, but i cant decide between way of shadow or way of the open hand. which one is more fun, in your opinion?
>>
>>46638469
breath weapon from the inside would be pretty cool if that's an option for the one swallowed. maybe a bit excessive but worth an inspiration if I was DMing

Tried to find a vid of someone fighting their way out of a giant paper bag as it would be tangentially related, but no success. But I did come back with this qt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntmP-N54TR0
>>
>>46638613
You might want to look at Way of the Long Death and Sun Soul too, they're both interesting.
Personally I think shadow is more fun, but open hand has the last PC save-or-die in the game.
>>
>>46638655
which supplement are those in?
>>
>>46637180
>the thread is better off with a hard-line rule preventing all players from criticizing DMS.

Oh, fuck off. If you're a shit DM giving shit DM advice, you deserve to be called on it, every time.

Take your safe-space bullshit back to wherever you came from.
>>
>>46638691
SCAG
>>
File: Jim_goose_being_restrained.jpg (13 KB, 340x166) Image search: [Google]
Jim_goose_being_restrained.jpg
13 KB, 340x166
>>46638712
>>
Could anyone post all of the Way of the Long Death class features? My SCAG pdf is missing those specific pages
>>
How do I properly roleplay strahd?
>>
>>46638790
...or you could check the mega?
>>
Anyone have experience roleplaying a female orc? Thought it might be fun to make one a barbarian and go the sassy black woman route. Also what are your experiences like with dudes playing chick characters? It seems cringy to me when I watch someone play over a video, but I'm sure it would be better in person as long as the guy wasn't a sperg.
>>
>>46638790
is your PHB also missing 2 pages worth of deities?
>>
>>46637266
So dip a level in fighter.
>>
>>46639127
Executed well, guys playing female charters are rarely a problem. However, I doubt that's what your group will find cringy about that character concept, Senpai.
>>
If anyone wants a free copy of some D&D book "Maestro" on audible.com, have this code I got from some twitch stream.

DU29H7USE23R2
>>
Okay, I think I balanced it.

***Bringer of Bad Luck*** Whenever a creature within 30 feet of this creature would gain advantage, you can spend this creature's reaction to give it disadvantage instead. If you do, that creature gains this ability, and this creature loses this ability until the Black Cat takes a short or long rest.
>>
Hey /5eg/, slightly newbie GM here. My group has hit the point where they've started to get magic items, but the cleric in the group has been getting a bit neglected, I feel. The warlock's gotten a nice staff, the fighter has a magical sword, the rogue has an invisibility cloak, etc, but I'm struggling to come up with good loot for our resident altar boy. What's good stuff for a cleric with the War domain, just another magical weapon? I'd kinda like it to be something a bit more unique than just that.
>>
>>46639307
I just want to take off all my rings before combat and dont even take shit from nobody
>>
>>46639367
A necklace of prayer beads seems thematically fitting
>>
>>46639367
With five another +1 weapon when you can give a Blessed Mace of the Heavenly Host? Casts Bless on the wielder the first time they miss each day, giving +1d4 on all attack rolls and skill checks for up to an hour.
>>
So the monk paths are
PHB 3
Long Death
Sun soul
Correct? Or am I missing any?

As of that, however, how do the Long death and shadow ways hold up against one another? I figure they're both weaker than open palm but that's okay since I don't want open palm and these two seem more appropriate than sun soul or 4 elements.

I'm playing a (currently 1st level) monk who doesn't realize he's a monk, or even really what a monk is. He's just a street thug who was taught how to fight by a homeless guy...but as he levels up he's going to start realizing there's something seriously weird about his way of fighting. I want a monk style that's more actively supernatural, one that he can't just explain away as being a good knife fighter.
>>
>>46639573
Long death might be better thematically; shadow is less about augmented fighting and more about movement and sneaking.

A street thug who starts to realize he steals life from people he punches might be compelling.
>>
>>46639573
Sun Soul has a unique niche as a ranged skirmisher. Because he doesn't have to get mixed in the melee, he can spend his bonus action laying down more firepower or Dashing rather than worry about Disengage. He also gets a long-range, at-will AoE effect at mid-levels (the only similar feature being the Hunter's Volley or some spells with the wizard's Arcane Mastery at 18.

Long Death Monk is tanky as all get out. AoE fear effect (work out with your allies something so they don't get affected...), lots of temporary HP, and the ability to simply say "No, I don't go to 0 HP. Sorry." They also get an assassination ability at 17 that can be delivered by touch (rather than Quivering Palm which is overtly an attack).
>>
What was the last thing your true neutral character did something good for their own benefit?
>>
>>46639648
On the other hand, the shadow monk has things that can't really be explained without supernatural stuff. Free teleportation in darkness, etc.
>>
>>46639671
> Stealing life with your fists is something that can be explained without the supernatural
>>
>>46639479
>>46639467
Thanks guys, I'll keep those options in mind.
>>
>>46639671
>not playing a Shadow monk as a mystical assassin
>>
>>46639367
Reusable spell storage items are pretty great for a cleric.
>>
>>46639730
What does stealing life look like? I've always imagined it as having no visual effect.
>>
>>46639851
I like to imagine it as, at the point of impact, a fist-wide glowing red circle that dims over a few seconds.
>>
File: tumblr_m6slx3y5bY1rss05ao1_500.gif (858 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6slx3y5bY1rss05ao1_500.gif
858 KB, 500x300
>>46639851
>>
>>46639851
The target desiccating at the point of impact and turning to dust as it dies.
>>
>>46639851
...It needs a visual effect to be supernatural?
>>
>>46638805
Raving flamboyant homosexual Dracula.
>>
>>46638805

When playing hyper-intelligent characters, it's always a good idea to say as little as possible.

Remember that Strahd is supremely confident in his position and abilities. He genuinely doesn't care what the PCS think, say, or do. They're like insects. Or pets.
>>
>>46640091
It needs a visual effect to be seen as supernatural. Otherwise people think you're just very good at punching.
>>
>>46638805

Also, don't be afraid to grab some of your PCs paranoid theories and then make them true, as if Strahd (you) had anticipated their actions.
>>
Shadow monks with mobile feat. Shadow Teleport in, punch punch, walk 35 feet away flipping them off
>>
In my quest for more money sinks, I've added extraordinary taxes, better quality horses, buyable art objects, am tweaking a few caravan rules, and I've been slowly inching towards barebones domain rules with feudal relief as a tax for when heroes take possession of a stronghold.

I've also got notes on granting inspirations and for being charitable and shit a bit like how BG allowed you to get reputation with temple donations, but it takes very large ones.

Combined with tool and language profs, and putting common and uncommon potions and scrolls on the general market it should probably clear out most pockets.

Still, I've been pondering adding back something like the playtest's Mithral Shirt, as a 2.500gp light armor that does 13+Dex (it might not be a mithral shirt, but conceptually an armor that's equivalent to Full Plate in a very specific edge case). I'm not 100% sure whether it's a reasonable or terrible idea, and I might still tie it to medium proficiency anyway.
>>
>>46640142
Strahd is amusing himself with the player characters. Their presence is highly interesting to him. They may give him cause for disappointment should they actually bore him, but he had some hope that they'd provide him with a little spice of life.
>>
>>46640117
He's literally the ugly brother who had a case of oneitis on his younger brother's fiancee. He's cunning but got most of his current power from the Mists (if anything, 5E Strahd would make more sense as a Tomelock were it not for the necromancy thing)

>>46638805
He basically kills groups like your players' every decade or so, sometimes every year. Barovia is his little pocket of ironic hell and as such his end would make whatever spirit runs the place highly disappointed, which also means he's ridiculously confident even if he did lose territory on a political level as the core formed itself.
>>
>>46640228
A money sink one of my friends suggested:
>castles are expensive
>castles are enticing
>castles are frequent targets for dragons
>the PCs will want revenge on the dragon, giving you another adventure hook
>seriously, why do people even buy castles anymore?
>they're like dragon magnets
>money sink and adventure hook all in one
Only do this if you feel like your group wold be ok with it. Some people don't enjoy getting things then having them destroyed. This would work for my group, but it may not for yours. YMMV
>>
>going as dm for the first time ever
>get some worked-on material from cool anons
>get a group of pc's going
>two of them are a half orc and a drow hiding his identity
>the third is a xenophobic dwarf
>we're playing Death House

How am i supposed to make them work together or not let the clashes escalate to out of character? Because a half orc is bad enough for a xenophobic pc; throw in a drow and they lose their dicks
>>
File: let-them-fight.jpg (18 KB, 477x265) Image search: [Google]
let-them-fight.jpg
18 KB, 477x265
>>46640623
>>
>>46640611
It's not just that I'm not fond of them getting their shit destroyed, I like to use dragons as shadowy operators, and the kind of younger dragon who would be dumb enough to do it would probably hurt a lot in the process.

Still not necessarily bad. And it gives me ideas for something that's not a literal dragon hunt.
>>
>>46640623
If they're together as a party, it's because they trust each other enough to watch their backs when the shit hits the fan. Either because of mutual gain doing the whole "adventure" thing, or because the group has a higher rate of survival while together.

The group will not realistically last long, however. As soon as they're out of the Death House (assuming they get to that point), they'll probably split up and talk shit about each other behind their backs. If everyone at the table is okay with it, you can allow some in-game inter-party strife, such as a decision near the end to sacrifice a creature to get out of Death House. However, Player vs. Player tends to be garbage and only irritates people unless they're both very interested in it.
>>
>>46640666
dragons, ork raiders, undead armies... it doesn't matter. What matters is that there's a target that the PCs want to get vengeance on
>>
how to grind?

I'm in level 7 limbo and want to get to level 8 as fast as possible.
>>
>>46640786
Grinding is impossible unfortunately.
>>
>>46640786
Ask you DM for enough experience to get you to 8.
>>
>>46640724
I'm more thinking "young adult dragon does something incredibly stupid as a show of power, probably dies or gets a bloody nose, party finish the dragon off and end up having to defuse the situation as other dragons take notice of things"

Also the hoard is literally going to be a stack of promissory notes to various banks of the region.
>>
>>46640786
Do something cool.
>>
Suggestions for divorcing the Dark Elf subrace from the Drow? I still want an option for people who want to play a dark elf for some reason or another but I don't have a good grasp of what "dark elves" really represent in fantasy as a whole compared to high elves and wood elves.
>>
>>46640853
I like it! Good luck with it, that sounds fun
>>
>>46640870

Have a look at the Warhammer Fantasy Dark Elves.
>>
>>46640870
Remove the light penalty, nerf the innate spells a bit, make them more like dunmer or pretty orcs?

Honestly I just roll them as High Elves with +Cha instead of +Int.
>>
>>46640870
Drow are pretty much archetypical as Dark Elves. Most implementations of the concept either take pointers from the Drow or gave the Drow pointers in the first place.

> inb4 Night Elves; those are Purple Wood elves.
>>
>>46640937
> Exactly the same
> Pale skin, though.
>>
File: dragonborn-paladin.jpg (49 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
dragonborn-paladin.jpg
49 KB, 720x576
Coming back as a Gold Dragonborn Paladin with an acolyte background. Basically be a Bahamut-loving holy warrior.
>never played paladin before
>or metallic dragonborn
>at least 2 party members are chromatic dragons
Can I still be civil and work with chromatics without angering the Justice Maker?
Can
>>
>>46641059
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Keep an eye on them. When in doubt, beseech Bahamut for advice. If it will be an issue, the DM, I mean Bahamut will tell you so.
>>
>>46641059
Chromatic Dragons or Chromatic Dragonborn? There is a big difference between the two.
>>
File: pally-nuns.jpg (38 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
pally-nuns.jpg
38 KB, 500x400
>>46641105
Dragonborns
>>46641094
Will do. Thnx m8
>>
>>46640943
I love the Dunmer to death but I'm wary of only taking ques from them because I'm under the impressing that they're somewhat unique among takes on dark elves.

Right now if I were to just make them Dunmer I'm going on removing light sensitive and superior darkvision, standard weapons. Innate spells to Guidance (self only) and fire resistance.
>>
File: 1458373301560.jpg (423 KB, 986x1369) Image search: [Google]
1458373301560.jpg
423 KB, 986x1369
Has /tg/ come up with any *good* homebrew classes, races, and modules?
>>
>>46641258
>good
>homebrew
where do you think you are?
>>
>>46641319
Kansas, my Toto?

(Not the samefag)
>>
>>46641258
I've been working on a witchcraft archetype for warlocks. Some people have responded positively, but I'm always looking for more criticism. I'll post it later tonight.
>>
>>46641399
There's a few already out dude.

Try something else.
>>
Dipping two levels into Ranger sounds pretty good for a GWM fighter. Get preferred enemy, terrain, and a bonus to my AC by going defense, plus some spells. Anyone have experience with doing this? Am I just bring a dumb ass?

Wanted to dip into Barb, but then I realized I'm in plate, so fuck that.
>>
reposting from yesterday.
I want to make a Dragonborn fighter that sells his soul to an evil dragon god for power to get vengeance for his slaughtered tribe. I want to represent this mechanically by multiclassing,
My question is how do I do this without making my character shit?
>>
>>46641486
Just make a Paladin. Easy.
>>
>>46639352
Nope. It's dumb. You're dumb. Just have it impose disadvantage on stuff.
>>
>>46641516
Infernal Warlock/Vengeance paladin works rather well.
>>
>>46641444
Links?
>>
>>46641638
Gotta love Hellknight.
>>
>>46641186
Chromatic dragonborn generally aren't associated with chromatic dragons as far as I know, barring a custom setting.
>>
Does the fact that both 1/3 casters are int-based make up for there not being an int half-caster?
>>
>>46641059
Chromatic dragonborn don't have to take after their parents. And even chromatic dragons can choose to be good-aligned.
On that note, with the dragon egg in Gracklstugh in OOTA, how would you rule the players raising it? The book has data on age stuff for basilisks and I think hook horrors, but not the red dragon.
>>
>>46641735
Does it need to be made up?
>>
>>46641444
I've seen one besides mine, and I didn't like it.
>>
>>46641735
Not really, but Mystic sort of makes up for it, or at least it looks like it will upon full release.
>>
>>46641667
https://sterlingvermin.com/2016/02/29/the-complete-arcanist-handbook/comment-page-1/#comment-74

This is probably my favourite.
>>
File: 1460512157437.jpg (101 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1460512157437.jpg
101 KB, 400x400
>>46637521
>>46637449

Literally just happened in our session on Sunday.

Ranger cast pass without trace. +20 to stealth on my rogue, sneak past slavers we are ambushing and free all the slaves and arm them.

It's not a competition guys...
>>
>>46641829
The crone one?

It has some interesting ideas, but I think it has the same problem rough drafts of mine had: too much forced roleplay mechanics that could get in the way of actual role-playing.
>>
>>46637186
Since D&D has super massive HP bloat, it's not really an issue.
>>
>>46641980
Funny that the HP bloat was the one thing that remained from the previous editions. Feels really weird.
>>
>>46641258
Walrock has some okay stuff.
http://walrock-homebrew.blogspot.com/
>>
File: Path of the Brawler.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Path of the Brawler.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Hey guys, check out the thing I made
Put this barbarian path together the other day at work and made some changes recently

Let me know what you think
>>
>>46641950
Well if you think yours is better go for your life, pist it and I'll give you some feedback.

My main statement was that you might be better off doing something more "original" that's all.
>>
>>46635800
How would one go about running a low-fantasy Dark-Ages era Earth campaign?

General resources would be appreciated.
>>
So with Green Ronin's announcement that they're updating their Book of the Righteous for 5e, I got to thinking.

What's 5eg's favorite stuff off of the DM's Guild? Is it all "Big list o' names for a dollar!", or is there some decent content?
>>
>>46642272
You should probably look into systems other than D&D
>>
>>46642280
I hear Mercer's stuff isn't total shit

Though I looked through his gunslinger and it looked kinda ass, I have mad respect for the guy but I wouldn't play that
>>
>>46638310
>>46638469
>>46638650
Uncorked all my ermetics or cast stinking cloud to induce vommiting.
>>
Hey /5eg/ I'm going to be running curse of strahd tomorrow, any tips/advice you can get?
>>
>>46642225
It sounds like a fantastic NPC.
>>
>>46642366
Start with death house so the players can grab the suits of full plate that will fit any humanoid and won't deteriorate when you take them out
>>
>>46642262
Yeah, I'll post it when I get home.
>>
Anyone have a version of this without the locations of the areas that would be considered spoilers or not on a map of the region?

Would photoshop it but I'm terrible at it.
>>
File: 2016-04-12-23-36-34--772721155.jpg (4 KB, 180x153) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-12-23-36-34--772721155.jpg
4 KB, 180x153
>>46642392
>NPC
>>
>can't decide between war cleric or paladin

what'd be better; War Cleric 15/Fighter 5 or paladin 16/fighter 4?

want him to be in melee 95% of the time, but I also want him to have access to alot of spells and shit like that

character is an ex-soldier/mercenary turned war cleric after seeking atonement for his war crimes, so I figure the fighter levels won't be too munchkin-y

>>46642347
if his gunslinger is the same one that is played on critical role it's breddy good

>>46642401
this fucking guy
>>
>>46642434
seconding, I need this for my next session
>>
>>46642459
Fighter 4/Paladin 16.

Especially Champion/Vengeance.
>>
>>46642401
Could someone explain why this is a meme?
>>
I have a question about npc/monster wealth, specifically about "other assets" - does that mean their gear, or does it mean things they may have stashed away in a chest somewhere? For example
> +1 hide mwk greataxe potion of mage armor 4pp 18gp 9sp 16cp 665gp in other assets
Does that mean he's got 665gp elsewhere, such as under his bed, or is that the value of his axe and armour?
>>
>>46641486
Dragonborn warlock with a pact to that giant dragon goddess. Dip fighter first 2 lvl for heavy armor and action surge if you want to multiclass and go bladelock

Or revenge paladin
>>
Noob rule question: if I'm playing a monk, can I do an attack with my monk weapon, martial arts hit, flurry of blows, and then repeat this with an off-hand attack like a punch? So a total of 8 attacks (rising to 12 at 5th) in one round if I use the ki?
>>
>>46642502
so with that I'd get two fighting styles, right?

anyway vengeance pally 16/ champ fighter 4 does sound like a rape machine in melee. But then I wouldn't have shit for spells. Guess that's the trade-off
>>
>>46642628
You only get one bonus action, buddy ol' pal ol' friend.
And unarmed strikes don't count for TWF, that's why you *have* martial arts.
>>
>>46642548
I always thought it meant valuable things that weren't cash, like gems, art pieces, furs, tools, things like that.
>>
>>46641486
Warlocks are all about bargaining for power. You're going to have to refluff a patron though. Fiend makes the most sense thematically, but I think it's also the worst mechanically, so your mileage may vary.

Alternatively, you could do fighter paladin. I don't have as much experience with paladins, so I can't recommend it.

Another option is a fighter/slightly refluffed Dragon bloodline sorcerer. You could even throw warlock into that to get absurd damage output from eldritch blast (metamagic+action surge+EB is insane).
>>
>>46641829
Grey Guild Wizards literally get the fucking Shadow Clone Jutsu. I can dig it.
>>
>>46642659

Great thank you!
>>
How about a familiar option that's a large sentient vine with substantial bonuses to grappling?
>>
>>46642835
You mean a giant constrictor snake?
>>
>>46635800
I'm playing in Adventuer's League and doing the new Curse of Strahd adventure. I play a GOO Warlock who read to deep and is going insane as a result. He already is more than willing to abandon others to their death (and has done so twice in one session and tried to another time). This is causing problems for me finding motivation for my character to do the things he's expected to do. I'm wondering if I should play a more lawful good character so I can be in keeping with the gothic horror theme.

Thoughts?
>>
>>46642886
Yeah basically, except less HP and damage, a burrow speed, and a refluffing.
>>
>>46642905
Insane people fit well in Gothic horror. Maybe play him with more tension. What little rationality is left wants to work with the party. But the insane side is growing stronger, and he's not sure how long he can keep it together.
>>
>>46642905
Think you dug yourself into a hole there bud, unless you drop that and just make him a regular crazy guy instead of a crazy guy who is also a fucking asshole
>>
>>46642939
He works well with the party but keeps them at an arm's distance because they might steal his Lucky Charms. Literally, he's had to fight it out with the rogue and the bard so they wouldn't steal his shit.

>>46642944
The people he's abandoned have been criminals. He almost abandoned a PC when that character ran off into the mists and got snatched up by bats to save a child. But he didn't because the child was still out there somewhere.
>>
File: necrodruid.png (237 KB, 500x719) Image search: [Google]
necrodruid.png
237 KB, 500x719
Where would my Druid fall on the Good/Neutral/Evil scale?

We're about to begin a campaign where he is launching the opening salvos of a terrorist insurgency against a massive lumber town.

In his mind he's the hero. I mean, if there was a campaign with a straight up genocide camp slaughtering people, it would be labelled as a 'Bad Thing' that had to be stopped at all costs. That's how this Druid sees the Lumber capital of the world. And those guys that are cutting down the trees? What you see as an innocent civilians doing their day job he sees as murderers.

And just like sometimes we bomb a hut that has a few civilians in it to kill a terrorist target, this guy isn't opposed to inflicting some 'collateral damage' for the greater good.

I'm not sure where he would fall though. Lawful Evil?
>>
>>46643501
Loose moral code and questionable methods makes him sound Chaotic neutral at best.
>>
>>46643501
Insane and basically unplayable. He cares more for the trees than he does the lives of people, which makes him pretty Evil. I wouldn't say Chaotic Evil, since there's a method to his madness, but Lawful Evil or Neutral Evil.

However, he's also insane, so he doesn't really fit on the alignment scale neatly.
>>
>>46643501
Evil.

Chaotic too from the sound of it, maybe neutral. That character would be no fun to have in a party, and in any of my groups we'd end up killing you.
>>
>>46643501
That there is a Neutral Evil Druid. A future Paladin's sword storage container. Methodical, but not keeping to a strict code. NE.
>>
>>46643603
>>46643606

Well hopefully it works out, we're going for the 'Evil' campagin since the past 3 we've played have always been good guys upholding the law. So the other PCs are a criminal with underworld connections who is motivated purely by money, and the half-orc muscle of the group.

We'll be carrying out operations like blowing up dams, assassinating important public figures, and basically doing the terrorist thing... trying to get these human invaders the hell out of our woods and never want to come back again.
>>
>>46641258
Kinda accidentallied into a homebrewed subrace as I've been preparing for my campaign, Plains Dwarf. I haven't started yet, and am a first time DM (but not GM), with mostly new players in 5E, but a couple of my players really took a shine to the idea.

To sum it up quick, there was a schism in Dwarven society several centuries prior that lead to a lot of Dwarves migrating south out of the mountains and into a more prairie like environment. They managed to take control of the territory, and started trading with Halflings who taught them how to work the land. Halls were replaced with homesteads, which resulted in lower densities away from cities, forcing them to become more self reliant and individualistic. Some cities exist as centres of trade and craft, with expert brewers and distillers making extremely high quality drinks.

Mechanically, they're typically Neutral instead of Lawful, have Botany instead of Stonecutting (Proficiency in Nature -> Fauna checks) but I'm not a hundred percent certain of what other bonuses to give. I was thinking of giving a +1 Strength/Charisma, and maybe Proficiency in 1 skill of choice.
>>
File: NorthSwordCoast no spoilers.jpg (686 KB, 1200x1636) Image search: [Google]
NorthSwordCoast no spoilers.jpg
686 KB, 1200x1636
>>46642480
Found one.
>>
How's Mystic balanced at the moment?
>>
I'm running OoTA for a group of friends and after an unexpected escape (one of the drow guards failed a save with advantage vs. Charm Person and helped the party escape with some of their things) the party headed west. After a few days they got caught again and this time were taken north under armed guard. They managed to sneak away with some NPC help and are currently heading to the north at level 3..is this an unrecoverable development, or can they still salvage the situation?

Sorry for the vagueness, trying to avoid spoilers.
>>
>>46644109
Well, did they hit the lake before they got caught?

They can probably find something of note if they hit that.
>>
>>46644207
They were only on the road for a few days, and they didn't feel the need to move at a fast pace after they left..to be fair, I didn't have any of the NPC's urge them to move quickly.
>>
>>46637478
That sounds fun as hell anon. If you wanted to do it on roll20 or something I'd be totally down
>>
>>46637478
Sounds awesome anon. When do we start?
>>
Where's the feat for 1 handed or versatile weapons? Heavy weapons got a feat, dual wielding got a feat, polearms got a feat. Even shields got a feat. Yet longswords, the most iconic of all d&d weapons, don't get a feat.
>>
File: nauseatingAnimated.gif (400 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
nauseatingAnimated.gif
400 KB, 512x512
>>46644661
What kind of feat would you expect them to have?
>>
>>46644661
I agree.
I don't really see much point to versatility as it stands now. There doesn't really seem to be much benefit to alternating between one and two-handing the weapon, especially considering it takes an action to don/doff a shield.
>>
>>46644736
If you're two-handing a longsword it better be a massively enchanted longsword or you're just hurting yourself by not using a greatsword.

Can small creatures two hand versatile weapons? That might be a case of it being worth it.
>>
>>46644708
Well, here's how I see it.
Heavy weapons get a straight damage increase in GWM.
Ranged weapons get a damage increase and the removal of two of their drawbacks, max range and cover.
Dual Wielding gets a defensive bonus with a minor damage buff.
Polearms get a feat that adds some control options.

So what it looks like they're doing is trying to give each weapon type its own niche. While you can use shields with a one-handed weapon for the defensive bonus, this takes away use of the versatile quality. A versatile or one-handed feat would have to focus on setting the weapon itself apart from the others.
For example, they could try to make it the most precise weapon choice with a bonus to attack rolls or critical range (probably OP, but just an example). They could focus on the versatile quality and give some sort of incentive for players to alternate between one-handed and two-handed strikes, maybe with a bonus action option to keep it in line with the other styles.
>>
>>46644822
Something like a versatile feat that does something like +2 AC when wielding the weapon one handed (without a shield, essentially replacing it), and +2 damage when two handing it could work... but then I realized that you'd just use it two handed when attacking then release a hand.

Versatile weapon property is kinda stupid in that in itself, the +1 average damage compared to the +2 AC is never fucking worth it. It's more like a vehicle for magic weapons so they can fit into both two handed and SnB builds.
>>
>>46644822
Why not something simple, like

>When wielding a weapon with the Versatile quality, you may use the increased damage die as long as you have a free hand.
>While wielding one one-handed weapon, you have +X to hit and/or +x ac.
There's also always some unqiue/multi-use thing, so
>When an attacker misses you, you may use your reaction to get advantage on your next attack against that target until it's next turn.

This doubles as being the good one for a partial caster.
>>
>>46644822

Alright, idea time. Here's what my brain just shit out:

>Versatile Fighter
>When wielding a versatile weapon with two hands, you get a +1 bonus to AC
>After hitting with a versatile weapon being wielded with two hands, you can use a bonus action to make another attack, using the one-handed damage die

The idea being that wielding a longsword or a spear in two hands allows you to more easily parry a blow, thus giving you the AC bonus. The bonus attack would be a sort of "back swing" with the weapon where you take a hand off and reverse the attack back onto the guy you just hit (or someone else, obviously). Doesn't make much sense with a spear, but eh, whatever, the polearm master bonus attack doesn't make much sense if you think about it either.

I think it has potential, at the very least, though it feels like it needs more work.
>>
>>46644919
Just give them a Parry reaction (Proficiency mod to AC)
>>
>>46644919
>When wielding a versatile weapon with two hands, you get a +1 bonus to AC
>After hitting with a versatile weapon being wielded with two hands, you can use a bonus action to make another attack, using the one-handed damage die.

I like the idea, but this effectively just makes it a strictly better version of TWF.
>>
>>46644950

Also a good option. Though at that point it steps on the Defensive Duelist feat's feet, which is kinda shitty design wise (finesse TWF users would start wondering why they need two feats to match up power wise with this one feat).

>>46644952

Unfortunately, yeah, you're right. Though if we're being honest, TWF is kinda shit at the moment anyway, so it's not difficult to usurp even with something that's fairly benign.
>>
>>46644952
Ehhh, not really. You have to hit with the one handed weapon to get the second attack here, and the difference in damage is literally 1 point.

That being said, it doesn't really feel unique. Maybe have the ability to use your reaction to hit someone that missed you?
>>
>>46645030
I hope they add in some kind of feat for it in the future. Versatile weapons are my waifu.
>>
>>46645056
Your waifu is shit. Great Weapons are Best Girl.
>>
>>46644919
I was thinking that it could grant a bonus action unarmed strike, grapple, or push attempt when you make a one handed attack with a versatile weapon. That still leaves me without a benefit for when you two-hand it, though.
>>
Is it just me, or is it kind of weird how many classes have proficiency with all weapons? I would think the only class that would be able to use every weapon proficiently would be the Fighter.
>>
>>46645093
No real reason to be so restrictive desu
>>
>>46645045

That too was my issue with it, that it just feels like a "best of" feat to match versatile weapons in power with the other options. As I said, brain just kinda shat that one out.

The only problem I have with your fix is that it ends up being a copy of the Riposte maneuver, just not tied to a resource (which honestly might be okay, it just feels redundant).

>>46645091

Not a bad solution, but the unarmed strike would be useless for non-monks. The grapple and the push could be interesting, though.

>>46645082

>liking your weapon-waifus heavy

You and me both, anon
>>
>>46645093
It really doesn't matter, weapon choice is so pointless. The difference between them all is so negligible.

>Halberd and Glaive.
>>
>>46635800
Can Ruckus even read?
>>
>>46645129
He likes the pictures. You seen that Druid chick with the tiger on p 67?
>>
>>46645107
No, there's totally not. Especially since the weapons are all so interchangeable. But I just find it weird how easy it is in this game to be good at using every type of weapon.
>>
File: withpowerscombined.jpg (884 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
withpowerscombined.jpg
884 KB, 1920x1080
Question. I've been DMing a little, my player's characters are still low level and everything dies relatively quickly in combat. Does combat become longer at higher levels? I think it ruins the immersion if a scary humanoid opponent takes 20 solid hits to kill. Are there any houserules to prevent this?
>>
>>46645337
>Does combat become longer at higher levels?
A little bit. Just in terms of pure damage, a Fighter is doing 2d6+3 at level 1, and at level 17 will be doing (2d6+5)*3, but in terms of health, that fighter will have around 12 at level 1, and 221 at 17.

Keep in mind this is an extremely bare-bones analysis that doesn't account for armor class, magic items, spell casting, maneuvers, or any of that good shit. In addition, HP doesn't necessarily represent how healthy you are. It incorporates morale and fatigue as well, meaning that the 17th level fighter is only getting nicked or barely dodging attacks at full HP, but when he gets lower, attacks that hit him will probably start drawing blood (but this is all fluff and up to your imagination anyway).
>>
Ayo, I need help. Squad just killed a dragon living in a mountain in the middle of the desert. (This is the actual problem.) Cut to the looting, and most of the actual gold pieces fall into a pit after items set on top of each pile are extracted. (No one actually fell down there, thanks to Tanglevine.)

Came up with the idea that if so much gold fell down these pits, instead of wasting time scooping every last piece out, we could turn the dragon's mountain into a bank. (Character's part of some commerce church.) The pits would lead to vaults. Bit like Gringotts from Harry Potter. I have ZERO idea how I'm going to execute and maintain this. Any ideas?
>>
>>46645916
Oh yeah, so some problems off the top of my head are transportation to and from this mountain to another church-friendly city. Sustaining all staff members sent to work this "bank". Security measures.

I'm looking at Saudi Arabia as a model, but it seems so grand for what I want to do.
>>
>>46645373
Something seems off about that HP calculation. Is it normally assumed that a fighter has Con 20 by 17th level?
>>
>>46645969
Yeah, it's really really off. If anything Fighter, as one of the few classes with Con saves and the second highest HD, is the class most likely to not consider Con a huge priority.
>>
>>46645969
With six ability bumps at that point, why not? After whichever ability you're hitting with, CON is a pretty good bet for a fighter.
>>
>>46646043
Because you're likely getting at least 2 feats, you're raising Strength or Dexterity, or a score where you don't have proficiency.

A 20 Con Fighter is a meatshield out of hell, but it's definitely an edge case.
>>
>>46645969
That's max HP assuming the Fighter has a +3 in Con.
>>
>>46646087
>>46645969
Taking the average will give him 157.
>>
File: IMG-20160407-WA0003.jpg (52 KB, 640x852) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160407-WA0003.jpg
52 KB, 640x852
>>46646087
...You cant really assume max from the HP dice now could you?
>>
>>46636696
You can critique DM (only after the session, naturally) but not argue with him.

This is what ever roleplayer needs to understand.
>>
>>46646134
Not unless your DM is really generous. I just did because I wasn't thinking and forgot that there's such as thing as an average.
>>
>>46646087
Nobody rolls max HP.

>>46646114
And 173HP with the standard HP numbers in the PHB
>>
>>46646141
>And 173HP with the standard HP numbers in the PHB
Where are you getting that from? My example has him with +3 Con at 17. 16 levels he gets 9HP, and at level 1 he gets 13.
>>
>>46646141
>And 173HP with the standard HP numbers in the PHB
It's 157 if average HP gain is used.
>>
>>46646137
Sure, I agree with that (most of the time: if your bad call is about to get my character killed, you can bet your ass I'm gonna argue against it). But that's not what OP said.
>>
>>46646218
>if your bad call is about to get my character killed
If you've put yourself into a situation where you could get killed it's your own fault, not the DM's. Sure, random instakills are always lame, but no DM really ever does that.
>>
>>46646269
Only slightly related, but last week out Eldritch Knight hit a Mimic with his sword. After he realized it got stuck, he used his Weapon Bond ability to teleport the sword to him, and the DM got so salty he said the Mimic teleported with the sword.

Sometimes you gotta step up to the DM in the middle of the game if he's making a really bad call.
>>
>>46646218
OP was talking about in this thread, because of the glut of players handing out terrible advice to DMs

>don't fudge rolls
>don't try to make things fun for yourself as well
>do run an extensive and accurate sandbox, maintaining knowledge of all changes the players make
>don't let the world change due to actions beyond the players control, even if you give them warning that it's going to change if they don't do something

etc. I've seen it all. The best advice I ever got was to ignore what players say they want. They're retarded. Instead realize that players want the appearance of things.

Players want the appearance of difficulty. (they still want to succeed despite the stupid shit they did)
Players want the appearance of a sandbox (they still want the appearance of an epic story too).
Players want the appearance of fidelity to the rules and rolls. They still want exciting and dramatic encounters.

It's important to remember that it's a lot easier to deliver the appearance of things than it is to deliver the actual things, and in many cases you'll get better results (your players will be happier for it).
>>
>>46646269
Forever DM here; this is dumb, bad DMs exist, you're allowed to argue if they're obviously trying to pass bullshit at you for the sake of muh story or whatever.

You sound like a bad DM who gets too defensive.
>>
>>46646305
>>do run an extensive and accurate sandbox, maintaining knowledge of all changes the players make
I mean, in some settings you'll be doing this anyway. But in the long run, the fact that I've got Historical Demographics made easy and Magical Medieval Society open at all times ingame on my laptop should be a hint that random smiths don't matter all that much.
>>
>Sometimes you gotta step up to the DM in the middle of the game if he's making a really bad call.
Actually as a player and a DM I'd advice against this. Aks the DM whether he's willing to negotiate but don't argue. Just give the feedback after the session. If someone ends up getting killed then that's what happens. Life and the game goes on and the DM will probably be much wiser after he realises not everyone was happy about how things got handled.

Arguments about rules and rulings during game are in my opinion always, without exception, bad for the group and for the game. People tend to stick to their points of view and not change them in the heat of action. Downtime is the best time to give feedback and argue about the game.
>>
>>46646313
My point is don't argue during the game because that's just retarded. You can express your dislike for the ruling no problem, but have the argument and give constructive feedback after the session has finished.

Yes, bad DMs exist and if they don't get better after you give them feedback stop playing in their games.

>You sound like a bad DM who gets too defensive.
This bad trait is found in some bad players too. Players can also be bad.
>>
>>46646305
Oh, and my favorite bad advice:

"don't say no"

The "yes and" principle is generally sound, but sometimes your player will come up with something so stupid, so morally, rationally, and thematically unsound, that you are going to have to say no to it if your campaign has any sort of seriousness to it at all. If the player complains, he can eat a dick in somebody else's campaign.
>>
>>46646355
As a player and a DM, I'd do the opposite, especially in the listed example where everyone else at the table immediately turned to the DM with a look of confusion on their face.

And I'm not advocating arguing with the DM, don't put words in my mouth. I'm advocating stepping in if the DM makes a call that's beyond the pale and telling him so.
>>
>>46646431
>I'm advocating stepping in if the DM makes a call that's beyond the pale and telling him so.
Yes this is what everyone should definitely do but it should also be left at that and not be devolved into an argument about rules. If the DM is good, he'll reconsider and negotiate a better solution. If not, the game continues anyway. It's better to continue with a bad ruling than to get all salty and start fucking around / not caring for the rest of the session.
>>
>>46646470
>also be left at that and not be devolved into an argument about rules.
I totally agree, for the most part. If it's blatantly obvious the DM doesn't know the rules and is just pulling stuff out of his ass, I would say the session probably shouldn't even be happening, and I'd be happier walking or sitting down with the DM for the whole session and reading the book to him than continuing.
>>
How do you handle turn order when there are a lot of participants in a fight? For example - the PCs fighting 20 small enemies.
>>
>>46646557
By trying not to let them fight 20 enemies.
My players fucking hate fights with more than 3 enemies, so if a situation like this arises I'm fucked.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.