[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Basic Roleplay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: BRP Quickstart.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
BRP Quickstart.pdf
1 B, 486x500
From the ancient tomes of "Hey guys, what if we tried to use RuneQuest to run superheroes?!" all the way through Elric and Cthulhu (and that one Ringworld RPG nobody played) all the way to the modern day:

Talk about BRP
Stories about BRP
Thoughts about BRP
The future of BRP
Ideas for BRP
etc.
>>
I tried to make a BRP setting once. It was one of my greatest and most achieved pursuits. It would have been amazing, but my girlfriend at the time talked me out of it.

You have made me sad, OP. The system is solid though.
>>
>>46626355
I once ran a mashup of Call of Cthulhu and Stormbringer (along with some homebrewing). It was a medieval-ish fantasy game that took place in dream realms. Whenever a player's character died, he had to make a sort of system shock roll or die in the real world too. I don't remember the precise consequences if they made the roll, but they would be significantly weakened for a while.

They were hired by wizard to go on a quest to find some great thing, and I had planned for shit to get more twisted and monstrous the deeper they went into their dreams, but the game fell apart due to internal tensions within the playing group and no small amount of window-licking within the game. For instance, the wizard had arranged for the PCs to stay in a village of a warrior people he had allied with. A minor argument got out of hand and a new-ish player had her character attack a villager with very little provocation. This resulted in the party holing themselves up in a tent and threatening to shoot anybody who came in. The leader of the village then showed up and tried to smooth things over. From outside, he asked if the PCs would put away their weapons and let him enter the tent so they could parley. Everybody said "yes", but when he pulled aside the tent flap, the PC who had started the whole crisis said "you're so naive!" and tried to shoot him with her crossbow. He managed to dodge and that, accompanied by the return of the wizard, is the only thing that saved the party from being overwhelmed by angry warriors ten times their number.

Sadly, I never really got around to introducing any of the Lovecraftian horrors I had planned to, so the game was more Stormbringer minus any setting-specific Elric stuff.
>>
"It's a great system but we never got to play it" seems to be a sadly common condition with this.
>>
>>46626355
I played COC and found it rules light enough to run easily as a newbie GM.

I'm using Mongoose Rune Quest at the moment to build a Glorantha campaign and I immediately noticed the similarities.

Some of my players are hesitant to try anything besides D&D 4e, but these are the same players who never really "got" 4e and I feel like this will be an easier system for them to get to grips with.

I've been pencilling errata into my books for a while, as Mongoose's print runs seem to be replete with errors - explaining handily why they were so cheap.
>>
Anyone got some neat PDFs?
>>
File: Warlords_of_Alexander.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Warlords_of_Alexander.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46627662
Here ya go
>>
>>46626670
Do you know Lamentations of the Flame Princess?
>>
>>46628583
I do. You're saying that it would be a good choice for this kind of thing given its focus? I have to say that I have a difficult time reconciling D&D's ramping hit points with a setting of horror (watch out! you might die if you get hit another 8 times!), though maybe that would've been less of a consideration here as one of the reasons for the mashup between CoC and Stormbringer was that I have a hard time seeing the fun in a truly Lovecraftian campaign, which would rob the PCs of a lot of their agency. So the game is either "act frightened" which gets old fast, or "become monster hunters" which is about the least Lovecraftian thing I can think of. Though in this last regard The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath was different from Lovecraft's standard fare, being a bit more fairy tale and more than a bit more action-adventure. So my intention was to move things a bit in that direction and mix in some gritty medieval-ish fantasy to give the PCs some fighting skills and something to sink their teeth into.
>>
File: RuneQuest - Essentials.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
RuneQuest - Essentials.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46627662
RuneQuest pdfs -- https://www.mediafire.com/folder/32gagythv5xj8/Runequest#292d7jx7rhja8
>>
>>46630579
Or, you know, as an inspiration?
>>
BRP Rulebook -- http://www.mediafire.com/view/y20d9x4daf7clnw/BRP_Rulebook.pdf
>>
Only played this once when we ran a few RQ combat scenarios and I immediately noticed how easy it was to pick up, although having a good GM and predone character sheets had a lot to do with it. It's a briddi gud generic system. I'm generally a GURPS guy but I rate BRP as being almost as good as a generic system while being a gazillion times easier to pick up as a newbie.
>>
>>46630982
Ah. Yeah. Then, yeah, I could see that. Of course the particular campaign I was talking about preceded the creation of LotFP by a number of years, but I could certainly see it as a source of inspiration if I were ever to run something similar again.
>>
>>46631006
While the core of the system is pretty simple, I found RQ to be more complicated than I wanted it to be. I prefer some of the simpler derivations of the system.
>>
So this is basically a worse GURPS, right?
>>
>>46631741
Totally!
Bye now.
>>
File: Mutant.jpg (74 KB, 467x615) Image search: [Google]
Mutant.jpg
74 KB, 467x615
I've never played "real" BRP, but two of the most popular Swedish systems are heavily BRP-based.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.