[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /tg/'s opinion on LARPing? its really interesting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6
File: LArp.jpg (192 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
LArp.jpg
192 KB, 900x675
What is /tg/'s opinion on LARPing?
its really interesting to me, and i would want to join my local group but from what i see it just looks like a bunch of neckbeards hitting each other with foam poles in the park
>>
This thread deserves more.

Afaik, larp varies a ton from place to place. Some places (mostly in yurop) are more akin to 'medieval paintballing' where you're swinging around metal and people WILL get injured. Others are more neckbeards in foam armour throwing beanbags.

I'm real mixed about it, it seems to walk the cringe event horizon pretty tightly.
>>
>>46625295
Isnt the former called re-enactment while the latter is "that stuff those swaty fat guys go do in a forest"?
>>
>>46624815
>its really interesting to me, and i would want to join my local group
>from what i see it just looks like a bunch of neckbeards hitting each other with foam poles in the park

Why are you interested in joining a larp if this is how you see it?
>>
>>46625457
when I thing of re-enactment I generally think historical. They generally don't involve people actually fighting, just dressing up and marching around.

I recall reading once about a civil war re-enactment who does a mock battle with some pyrotechnics and sound effects for a audiences along with history lectures, and that they can sustain their hobby by charging admission.

I wouldn't LARP, but I think as long as nobody is getting hurt and everyone has a good time, why not? Just let them have their fun.
>>
>>46625848
Im interested in what i see and hear from other sources and my own imagination how how it is.
And even the pic i posted is better im my town. Its literally like 5-7 neckbeards in jeans and t-shirts "fighting" with foam poles.
Just wanted to know if thats just how it is everywhere.
>>
>>46624815
In Finland we have this hobby called Boffing/boffering. It's basically fighting with foam covered PVC pipes, but it has become more of a sport, rather than a LARP. In other cpuntries it's more or less associated with LARPing, but here it's more of a competive team sport. There are huge events, like Warcry, where people gather in hundreds to fight in armies.

It's LARPing with the roleplay element diminished to a bare minimum, so one could say it' just Lice Action.
>>
Larping is boring. Because you're limited by what you can physically do, you can only act out certain things.
In a pen-and-paper rpg you can say "I throw my shield to deflect the alchemist's bomb!"
You can't do that in a larp, because you can't physically throw your shield to deflect the bomb, for safety/practicality reasons. And if one of the organizers 'does' let you do that, he'll just describe it happening, in which case you've achieved nothing over just playing the pen-and-paper version.
But what about the costumes? Well, if you're into that sort of shit, just wear a costume to your regular tabletop game.
>>
File: CM-140913-1489web.jpg (392 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
CM-140913-1489web.jpg
392 KB, 900x506
>>46625922
Depends on where you go. Here in the UK we have empire. Which happens 4 times a year and draws about 3-4 thousand players.
3 days of battles, political backstabbing and mercantile back room dealing.
8 different nations bases on different fantasy tropes and real life cultures, barely held together by the Senate and a unified faith.
They've even minted their own currency for it.
>>
>>46626138
Is that currency called "pound" by any chance?
>>
>>46625901
Maybe you think of béhourd (or buhurt)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3jV93rNils
>>
>>46625901
Medieval reenactments are all about combat.
>>
>>46624815
really depends on group. stuff like Russia's Lustria event is pretty awesome, with hard (though still non-metal) weapons, practical armour and stuff like that
very atmospheric and friendly, from what I hear
really allows one to immerse

others... not so much
>>
>>46626259
I was thinking of some US civil war re-enacters, but now that you mention it I've seen paid re-enactments of medieval tournaments as well.

>>46626265
I know some people get really into the history too.
>>
Why can't more TTRPG elements be present in bblarping?

brb hiding my airshit powerlevel better and going back to /k/ and /asp/.
>>
>>46624815
it's fun. even if it is a bunch of neckbeards hitting each other with foam poles in the park. it's fun.
>>
>>46624815
If you enjoy getting heavily invested in a role, playign a bit of dress-up and (usually) beating the ever living daylights out of other people with foam weapons, then go for it. You usually get a pretty wide variety of people attending events, so whilst their are neckbeards frequently involved they're not the only ones. Heck, they're usually a minority in my experience.
>>
>>46625457
Think LARP but with the same level of effort as really good reenactment.
>>
>>46624815
>What is /tg/'s opinion on LARPing?
we have regular larp threads. it's /tg/ related

> but from what i see it just looks like a bunch of neckbeards hitting each other with foam poles in the park
That's because you are in the US probably, and in the Us people think that battle games count as larps.
>>
File: img_6247_std.jpg (345 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
img_6247_std.jpg
345 KB, 900x600
>>46625295
>Afaik, larp varies a ton from place to place. Some places (mostly in yurop) are more akin to 'medieval paintballing' where you're swinging around metal and people WILL get injured.
that's not larpin. You either thinking reenactment or HMB

>>46626324
It's called milsim anon, Sweden has the biggest one as far as I know called Berget, but there are various other ones out there
>>
>>46624815
The only true roleplaying is in tabletop RPGs.
The only true swordfighting is in HEMA (and maybe there is some asian stuff exists, but I'm unaware about it)
I don't think horrible cosplay can make things more interesting in any way.
>>
>>46626125
You have much more immersive roleplaying in larp. When you're actually standing there as a character, you can't just go "I tell him about everything that just happened" or "I roll diplomacy to act properly in the king's court". Suddenly, yoy have to watch everything you say with no do-overs.
>>
>>46624815
Im part of the commitee at my LARP club. Havent had time to doany events lately but we still get together to fuck around every week. Ill warn you; LARP is filled with fucking degenerates. Expect to see furries, special snowflakes and other kinds of sub human. we had to ban someone from our club for rape. events can be ruined by a bad refereee or a bad writer, very, very easily.

Other then that i really enjoy it, i usually play a spellsword or a heavy weapons trooper.
>>
>>46625922
>Just wanted to know if thats just how it is everywhere.
Nope it isn't.

Here is a very quick guide on larps in the world, but be aware it will be vague as fuck as there are always exceptions.

So let's start with the US. It has objectively the worst larps, becasue as I meantioned they think even boffer tags are larps and even when they do an actual larp they try to make a TTRPG IN REAL LIFE instead of just making a larp. Number shouting and light tapping ensues. There are several reasons for this and one could fill five books with it, pretty deep subject

Now to Europe. Germany is basically the country with the biggest larps in the world, like Drachenfest and Mythodea. The quality is top tier there although it is arguable if those are the "best" larps or not. They are usually more lax about the rules and usually go with the what you see is what you get approach but exceptions do occure, more than a few.
The UK is kind of similar to Gemrany although I would say they have slightly smaller larps, but not much. They approach is is also similar but sometimes it feels that rules are a slightly more important thing to them.

Then there are Scandinavia with their Nordic larps. Nordic larps are a whole different kind of thing than your standard fantasy boffer larps.
More artsy, different subjects and approach, but they have their moments in standard fantasy larps too. Quality is top tier there too the what you see is what you get approach is very strong there and even the "only two rules" approach.

Eastern Europe is a cluster fuck, Poland is pretty close to the nordic scene. The Checz republic has big lor of the ring larps with big battles and some nordic stuff. But as you go south nordic larps tends to dissappear and fight heavy larping became more and more "important"

Italy, Spain, Portugal and a lot of other European countries have larps but their number of larpers either not that big or isn't evolved to be something unique.
>>
>>46626125
That's exactly what makes larping great.

Magic-mart and high fantasy LARP's are shit.

Larp is at it's best as a way to be creative within limitations, to prperly act instead of " rolling to persuade", where the games are of politics and interpersonal combat rather than dice-flinging power-wanks.
>>
>>46626265
>Medieval reenactments are all about food, dring and bonking strangers on a deerskin cot.
>>
>>46624815
LARPs will vary from place to place and system to system. NERO is almost universally derided, and a lot of US LARPs are of the 'lighting bolt' variety. Dystopia Rising sounded interesting, but the local chapter died before I could get into it and the skill system was kind of odd.

One of the guys behind that has a sci-fantasy LARP coming soon that looks interesting and might get established out here, finally giving me something I could actually play.
>>
>>46627109
>So let's start with the US. It has objectively the worst larps, becasue as I meantioned they think even boffer tags are larps and even when they do an actual larp they try to make a TTRPG IN REAL LIFE instead of just making a larp. Number shouting and light tapping ensues. There are several reasons for this and one could fill five books with it, pretty deep subject

You forgot:
>Trying to run the events as a buisness, so setting a bar so low anything can crawl into a game, sell powerups and "more rules means higher quality".
>>
>>46627109
Russia is kind of unique again, and separated from the rest.
Reenactment is kind of close tied to larping there, and from this comes the misconception that russian larps have steel weapons and whatnot in them. There are a few blurry line there but you will more likely to find textile-bakelite swords then steel ones.

Africa and Asia as far as I know isn't too big on larping. It happens every once in a while but nothing big. Same with South America.
Japan has a few larps but as far as I know they have only one outdoor kind of larp.
Canada on the other hand have Biccoline and al ot of smaller larps. While Biccoline originally is very fight oriented it's still way ahead of the US in terms of quality, which is kind of surprising if you look at the distances.

And lastly Australia. Swordcraft and various other boffer games are kind of big there. Most of the larps they have are evolved from US style boffer-tags and became something else. They are somewhere halfway between the US and Europe, I would say they still finding their own way.
>>
>>46627173
I did not forgot it I just didn't mentioned it.
As I said one could write at least five books about why US larps are shit, how are they different and stuff like that. I simply cannot list all the reasons here in a reasonable time and there are more than one reasons.
Anyone who points at one thing and says "yeah if that would change US larp would be good" is either very naive, optimistic or just a retard.
It's a complex problem
>>
>>46624815
I tried getting into my local LARP scene, went to a few gatherings and an event but I just couldn't stand the people.
I'm pretty /fit/, have been lifting for years and also was about a head taller than everyone else there and literally the minute I walked in some buttugly hambeast, the only female and apparently queen of sweaty neckbeards, started touching and hugging me while acting like a little girl. Hell, she even jumped at me the second gathering I went to.
The guys were either fat or auschwitz mode and the one normal looking guy was obviously retarded.

All in all a horrible experience, which is a shame because I'd love to do fantasy LARPing.
>>
>>46627211
To me it seems the biggest sinner as it drives quality down, causes continual balkanization of communities and hinders more creative and demanding games.
>>
>>46627056
> LARP is filled with fucking degenerates.

Can confirm. My local-ish Amtgard kingdom:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/amtgard-of-maryland/hagerstown-maryland-21740/amtgard-of-maryland-kingdom-of-crystal-groves-convicted-child-sex-offenders-running-childr-1011395

A little hyperbolic, but the meat of the accusations stands.
>>
>>46627252
What you mentioned are indeed big problems but I think the whole american culture is a slightly bigger one. Then again, it's just another umbrella term.
I'm taking about stuff like that people are okay with the lowered bar, or that everything should be MANLY MEN DOING MANLY THINGS either or full SJW, no middle ground.
Or that putting effort into your hobby is frowned upon.

Then there are things like everything should be the lightest touch or no touch at all because SAFETY!!!
And from that we get boffer-tags with ultralight weapons that weights just a few gramms where people drum at each other and call it "full contact" just because the head is a valid hit area.

I can also point at the insurance and suing craze, the inability to define your hobby, to include every fucking things, to have rules for everything instead of creativity, to try to have weekly games instead and punish everyone who doesn't show up, etc.

There are a fuckton of problems and no real root to it.
>>
>>46625457
If it doesn't strictly adhere to historical evidance then it is larp.

Larp doesn't always have to be fat dudes yelling thunderbolt.
>>
>>46627341
Letting shitty people in and keeping then around no matter how awful they are, as long as they pay and don't commit actual crimes seems a likely cause.
>>
>>46627375
yes but the rest of the players who go to those larps and defending them are in the wrong too.
There is a term of "voting with your money"
>>
Hungarian back at it again with the on-point commentary on larp cultural differences.
>>
>>46627360
>Larp doesn't always have to be fat dudes yelling thunderbolt.

Yet all the fat fucks are either 'spellcasters' or elves.
>>
>>46626873
ha, been wanting to ask you if you were at this

http://www.euronews.com/picture-of-the-day/2016/04/05/firing-the-cannon/#archives
>>
>>46627417
And it is the duty of the fitter to whip them into shape with meaty smacks from their flexible rubberizad weapons.
>>
>>46627423
nope. I don't like that time period of our history.
I do a few hundred years earlier reenactment. But I will be at Várpalota at June
>>
>>46624815
LARP/Reenactment/HEMA threads have pretty much permanently moved to /cgl/, with some pretty damn knowledgeable larpfags. Hungarian LARPfag and Gropey_the_clown are the ones to ask pretty much anything.

In general, the /tg/ threads degenerate quickly. Go to /cgl/ for larp threads
>>
>>46627461
it's not that they degenerate quickly, it's more of a case that /cgl/ is a slow as fuck board where a thread survives several weeks, while /tg/ became faster in the recent years and if nobody posts anything it quickly 404s.
But there ARE larp threads, it's just the number of people who actively post into those threads doesn't really grew while other threads audience did.
>>
>>46627485
Not that anon, but last thread I was in exploded into creepy creepers when one of the posters posted a WIP costume and was shown to be female. The worst and neckbeardiest of /tg/ was in force.
>>
>>46627523
Was that the one where she had deleted the pic afterwards? Because that thread was nearly a year ago
>>
>>46627523
Well, that's nothing to do with larp per sé. That's just creeps being creepy. Which shouldn't surprise you on 4chan
>>
LARPFag!
1) whatever happened to /tg/ city? I maintain that if some wealthy fa/tg/uy ever buys the land and puts out the word, my wife and I will gladly open a 40k-themed inn.
2) I live in Ontario, and am interested in going to a full-combat larp, set in a fantasy or scifi setting. Do any exist in Ontario, that aren't just beanbags and bullshit, like in the states? Bicolline looks interesting, but not very imaginative as far as I can tell. Also, do you know of any large sci-fi larps in Canada? STALKER, Fallout, anything modern?
3) do fully sci-fi larps exist? Where people larp in cities to the tune of shadowrun or cyberpunk? Or would that result in too much police involvement?
>>
>>46627877
>1) whatever happened to /tg/ city? I maintain that if some wealthy fa/tg/uy ever buys the land and puts out the word, my wife and I will gladly open a 40k-themed inn.
Do you mean InfiniCon? That was always just a setting idea, I don't think there is realistic chance to make it happen ever.

>2) I live in Ontario, and am interested in going to a full-combat larp, set in a fantasy or scifi setting. Do any exist in Ontario, that aren't just beanbags and bullshit, like in the states? Bicolline looks interesting, but not very imaginative as far as I can tell. Also, do you know of any large sci-fi larps in Canada? STALKER, Fallout, anything modern?
Biccolline has way more depth than one would see at first glance. You might want to give it a try. But I try to lure frenedian larpfag here, he can tell you more as he lives in Canada. He also knows postapoc larps in the area too

>3) do fully sci-fi larps exist? Where people larp in cities to the tune of shadowrun or cyberpunk? Or would that result in too much police involvement?
They does exists but usually not set in a city, because yes, police involvement. But Sometimes Sweden and Poland do something along those lines. These are usually smaller ones and not that shadowrunish.

You might also try to look up Izgon too which is urban fantasy instead of scifi (but so is shadowrun to some extent)
http://izgon.crolarper.com/
But again this is a special case, very specific game, maybe not what you are looking for
>>
>>46627234
Bad group anon, sucks man, but hey atleast you got some free 'mires, ay?
Anyway, me and a few mates lift too and go to LARPs and haven't ever seen any of that stuff happen. Although, I'm a Dutchfag, and the LARPs I go to are pretty heavy on the roleplaying and trying to keep the degenerates out.
>>
anyway while I'm here and the thread is still alive I might as well post some pics.
What kind of larp pics you guys want to see?
>>
>>46627957
Infinicon! Yeah, that was it. It's a nice dream, much like the /k/ fantasies of taking over sealand and waging war on zimbabwe.

Biccoline looks interesting, but the biggest issue I see is that it is in Quebec. I assume a lot of the event is conducted in French.

As far as cyberpunk larp goes, I feel like we just need to wait until stuff like google glass becomes commonplace. Then one can have digital guns and costumes, so the police would only be mildly upset by all the people running around finger-gunning at each other. Same vr-type technology could be used to simulate hacking minigames and so on.
>>
>>46628151
>I assume a lot of the event is conducted in French
as far as I know they willing to talk english to everyone who isn't an asshat.

>As far as cyberpunk larp goes, I feel like we just need to wait until stuff like google glass becomes commonplace. Then one can have digital guns and costumes, so the police would only be mildly upset by all the people running around finger-gunning at each other. Same vr-type technology could be used to simulate hacking minigames and so on.
well, presently only at chamber larp level can cyberpunk be done in a good way. Some post apoc larps are doing great reasearch for hacking minigames and stuff like that and there are promising stuff around the Witcher larp too if you look at all the stuff they use to organize the larp.
>>
>>46628151
also, can't reach Frenedian right now but you can ask him questions on the /cgl/ thread, he will answer it in a day or two.
>>>/cgl/8947068
>>
>>46627322
ayyy lmao
>>
>>46628220
I dunno, man. Have you been to Quebec? Unless the event is dramatically different from how the rest of the province is, Quebecois are usually painfully rude and unpleasant towards anglos, being deliberately obstructive and exclusionary. To date, having travelled all across every continent, Quebec, in my own country, was the second most unwelcome I have felt after Beijing.

As to the hacking thing, that sounds brilliant. If someone ever set up a full-blown Fallout LARP, I am pretty sure I could even convince my normie friends to go.
Also thanks, I'll try to reach this Frenedian guy.
>>
File: fallout3-165.jpg (788 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
fallout3-165.jpg
788 KB, 1600x1067
>>46628314
Never been there but I heard the people in Quebec are only super rude to other canadians who aren't from Quebec. That said on the larp game everyone is there to have fun.
>>
>>46627877
1) It'd either be in the states where the more creative, hardworking and economicly sound Eurolarpers would not deign to go(sorry murrilarpers, some of you are hellacool but tshirt hell is a thing)(sorry eurolarpers, you do great work but you sure like to tell other when they aren't), or in eastern europe where people like to visit but noone wants to make a permanent investment(sorry slavpals), even if you can get acres of rivers, forest, actual castle ruins and all the meat and produce you want for pennies.
>>
>>46626184
Thrones, Crowns, and Rings, in actual fact.
>>
>>46625295
>more akin to 'medieval paintballing' where you're swinging around metal and people WILL get injured

nah we call those 'football matches'
>>
>>46628334
That's a good point. Probably a lot of folk are there from all over, so the anglo-hate would be toned down. But it isn't just non-quebecois canadians. I have a good friend who came to Canada from the Ukraine. Initially settled in Quebec, but after four years of "GO HOME" and not being served at non-chain businesses, she moved to Ontario in desperation. Gushes about how nice people are here, all the time.

>>46628341
What about rural Canada? Land is cheap north of Toronto.
http://m.landwatch.com/details?&id=318133202
>>
>>46628514
>Joke about Inuit LARP.
>>
>>46628514
>What about rural Canada? Land is cheap north of Toronto.
>http://m.landwatch.com/details?&id=318133202

I still don't think that the whole infinicon stuff is viable in the real world. Not in the way it was imagined.
>>
>>46628612
We will see...

I will one day purchase such a vast swathe of land, and build Infinicon.
On that day you are all invited to my geek's Rapture!

Infinicon, a city where the artist would not fear geedub lawsuits, where the scientist would not be bound by petty possibility, Where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, Infinicon can become your city as well.
>>
>>46628832
dibs on the forest part
>>
File: OMNIOUS!.png (25 KB, 100x127) Image search: [Google]
OMNIOUS!.png
25 KB, 100x127
>>46628832
Something, something, LAMB!
>>
>>46628612
>I still don't think that the whole infinicon stuff is viable in the real world. Not in the way it was imagined.

Dunno if anyone though it would.
But the idea of a LARP/Re-enactment friendly area, with toilet facilities, period aboguous cabins, log shelters, roads, paths and room to build for those with the skill and will to do so in exchange for dibs on your building when you're there.

Couple of local clubs had a thing like it in the works, but we got burned when the owner of the grounds realized we weren't professional contractors and we all had dayjobs so he couldn't have it double as a playground when he opened in spring.
>>
>>46629101
the whole point would be actually living there, and that's not viable.
Not in a grand scale.

Small reenactor villages and such exists but those are a different thing.
>>
>>46629101
>>46629129
Exactly. The idea would be to create a non-seasonal, functional town. Initially only a few people could afford to build real homes or go jobless, but with the right connections in events and hospitality, as well as good marketing, it could become a year-round convention within a few years. After it has momentum, it would all be a matter of granting land usage to the right businesses.
Tourism business would bring money and trade in-season, and internal business would work in off-season. Very likely, people dedicated to LARP would want to set up farms, smithies and other business, and it could function like a medieval town but with modern amenities available.
>>
>>46629379
Eh, I'd pass on the latter, smells to much of patchouli.
>>
>>46629101
And as far as not getting screwed by the landowner, that is why you would need
A) an owner dedicated to the idea, and
B) some good legalfags to help draw up whatever documents necessary to ensure if the founder croaked, his/her heirs didn't shit the whole thing up.
>>
>>46629399
That is true, but is also why Infinicon was to be divided into fandom zones. Other areas such as the sci-fi hab-blocks may rely on import and trade within the city, or and income of digital/remote work, and imports from other areas. Same as any other town. I just assume the medieval types would prefer to stay insular.
>>
>>46629404
Yeah, we has a good will thing going, then the owner had a heart attack and spent a year in the hospital, had a submanager handle business.

Long story short, our work down the drain, our LARP community died without a venue and the family park place is now being parcelled out for summer homes.
>>
File: 1407197423803.jpg (6 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1407197423803.jpg
6 KB, 184x184
>>46626259
That American armor!
>>
>>46629379
the problem I'm seeing is that it won't get enough momentum. Not even Adventure parks get enough momentum.
There is simply not enough dedivcated people who can go jobless AND also do this thing in high quality.
And let'sd be honest at the first 10 years or more this whole thing won't produce any profit, and barely any money compared to the costs
>>
>>46625457
There's a thing in France called Behourd. It's medieval reenactement, but really fucking brutal.
But hey, at least you see some proper fights, the dirty kind, like they would be back in the days, not some holywood bullshit.
https://youtu.be/eV-yzO7-Boo
>>
Opinions on dagorhir? I've been considering going to Ragnarok for a while now.
>>
>>46629560
Bu(tt)hurt
>>46626259
>>
>>46629640
Seeing how brutal they get, I'd say it's pretty easy to get butthurt at that.

I actually never realised how solid plates were. I know they use dulled weapons and tend to forbid stuff like maces and flails, for obvious reasons, but still.
>>
>>46629632
honest opinion? it's shit. That's just me being an asshole.
I don't like the minimalism, the weapons, the rules.
But you don't need others opinion to enjoy something, so if that's what you enjoy go for it and have fun
>>
>>46629439
That's heartbreaking, man.
But as bad as a land manager is, an heir can be so much worse. When people pass on, greed takes hold.
I have watched my family tear each other apart every time a bluehair dies, while I just try and take one item of significance, (Grandpa's hat, grandma's lighter, greataunt's pipe, etc.)
Just consider yourself lucky it wasn't the owners' son, and he didn't try to take you to court for "work not to code" or some nonsense.

>>46629503
Assuming the owner was in it for the idea of the thing, non-profit for 10 years is no biggie. The trick would be getting people there. That is where a legalfag would be key. With Canadians helping foreigners get citizenship, and word spread globally via the net, I think there would be enough diehards to get momentum, as long as they could be guaranteed citizenship, and guaranteed not to be screwed over.
>>
>>46629765
>didn't try to take you to court for "work not to code" or some nonsense.

Tried to bill us from use of machinery (dull chainsaw, weak quadbike) and "expenditures for out of hours opening"

Then those of us who were actual carpenters and constructions workers sent him some math with words like "weekends and holidays", "14 hour shifts", "use of personal tools".

Didn't hear back from him.
>>
>>46629765
No profit and a fuckton of expenses. You need food that's for sure as you won't be able to grow everything there at the start and if the size is small maybe not even later.
If you want visitors you will need other things like running water, electricity, etc at least at the entrance. And a lot of legal paper bullshit so you can actually collect money from the visitors.
And then there is the exepnses of materials to build it, you will need legal papers and permits to allow building it, then those needs to be maintained, etc
And this is barely the surface.

Then again I'm cynical dick
>>
>>46629560
This exists in other European countries too. There's also world championship called Battle of Nations in Ukraine.
>>
>>46627121
As someone who's just joined a group, that's pretty much it.
>>
>>46629833
Hahahaha, niiiice.

>>46629876
I had this enourmous reply typed out, with solutions to those problems, and a hope that you could provide more cynical dickism, as your devil's advocacy was really helping me flesh out this whole idea...
BUT THEN CLOVER CRASHED.
So in the meanwhile, please provide as many cynical problems as you can think of. I will try to retype all that shit. Maybe a bit more brief, so I don't create a wall of text.
>>
>>46629876
>>46630779
SO

Food: This could be a problem. Unless some of the first to move in want to open a small and affordable restaurant, and have the connections to get foods brought in, we are likely looking at some sgipping costs.

Water: pretty much anywhere in Ontario, outside a city, runs on wells and cisterns. So this is not a very big deal. Would have had to sink wells into that property anyways. If it gets too big for well water, then that is a bridge we would be happy to cross when/if we get there.

Power: large initial investment. Getting the land onto the provincial power grid, and running poles into the interior will be costly. After that, people will be encouraged to utilize solar panels. They are comparitively cheap here in canada, and the gov will pay you to put power back into the grid. So as long as more power is produced than used, this will be a slow trickle of income into the town.

Legal: the idea of admission goes against the spirit of this endeavor, I feel. Rather, individual businesses making money off of tourists, while paying just enough rental fees to maintain property tax, etc. This eliminates the need to zone it as a theme park business, but rather as a property with many small rental parcels. This could potentially be zoned as an inn, which could net tourism subsidies.

See any other issues?
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.