[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>MFW the DM wants us to build characters before telling us
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: rageface.jpg (129 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
rageface.jpg
129 KB, 1600x1071
>MFW the DM wants us to build characters before telling us about the setting.
>>
File: nightmarionette.jpg (38 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
nightmarionette.jpg
38 KB, 1024x768
>>46619817
>MFW the DM wants us to build a setting before telling us about our character options
>>
I did that once but only because the setting was a bunch of toys saving a little girl from a nightmare.
Yes it was during that whole Nightlight fad.
>>
>>46619817
I remember one anon from Japan said that that is very common in Japanese tabletop gaming. People already built their own characters prior, and will convert it to whatever setting/system the GM had in mind. This is because gamers tend to 'crawl' FLGSs to find a new game, with new GM and new friends. Playing weekly with the same people/friends is not unheard but uncommon. And then said anon linked us to the 2ch's equivalent of /tg/.
>>
>>46619965
They're social dynamics and expectations run by different standards though. They need to get all networking and "world seeing" out before they graduate highschool as secondary education can be an absolute bastard and take up literally all of your life and after that is an actual job and that does take up your entire life.
Their social experiences can all but end once they're out of schooling so them crawling just means they get to see more things and meet more people, possibly important people later. They also crawl clubs a lot as well as arcades as these are all places and situations where being openly friendly and socialitish is acceptable and not seen as outright rude.
>>
>>46619817
A new gm in the group is doing this with the idea of building the setting to fit all of our characters. I will probably talk about it in the future.
>>
>>46620307
Autocorrect mangled that.
>>
>>46619817
>first time DMing
>tell players to make characters without telling them about the setting
>do this without realising how dumb it is
>at least I said that they could change their characters whenever they wanted so long as they told me
>most characters are fine, it's set in the wilderness with occasional small towns
>have a druid, rogue, barbarian, alchemist
>one guy rolls a bard, complains that without a lot of social interaction to be had a bard is useless
>not true, he's probably the most useful PC in the game
>realise how dumb it was to not allow him to know the setting first
>allow him to completely re-do his character if he wants
>refuses
>even offer to do it myself, thinking he might just not be bothered to do it
>still refuses
>proceeds to complain every session that his bard is useless and that I should've told him about the setting
>keep offering, he keeps refusing

Man fuck that campaign in general.
>>
>>46619852
Where is that from?
>>
>>46623310
Meme Nights at Freddy's 4
>>
>>46619817
It was this very behaviour that led to our party consisting of three mermaids and two fire elementals.
Once the DM quickly learnt that any kind of location would be detrimental to half the party he actually discussed things with us and we began again.
>>
>>46619817
so get together with your fellow players and create noncompatable characters. And by noncompatable I don't just mean like >>46625645
suggests, I mean sitting down at the table and first player saying something like "I built a 500pt Gurps Starfighter Captain", then the next person saying "I built a level 12 AD&D Monk", then someone saying "I have a Technomancer", and just keep going like that.

Even if you are told to use a specific system then you can have some fun with 3rd party products. Have some fun coming up with incompatable characters by mixing magic, technology, starships and utter incompitence.
>>
File: munchkin campaign.jpg (109 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
munchkin campaign.jpg
109 KB, 400x500
>>46627976
so make muchkins
>>
File: omar-sharif-theredlist.jpg (332 KB, 1370x1071) Image search: [Google]
omar-sharif-theredlist.jpg
332 KB, 1370x1071
>>46619817
Just build a time-travelling viking scottish Navy Seal bard and use Omar Sharif's portrait as your character's?
>>
>>46619817
>i will fit the setting to your characters
Said the GM
>the characters end up being interchangeable and their origins have no weight on the plot

Every fucking time. Any GM that does this is a hack or pretentious. Usually both.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.