[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/exg/ - Exalted General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: 1445628660280.jpg (99 KB, 332x890) Image search: [Google]
1445628660280.jpg
99 KB, 332x890
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Backer Core https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByD2BL6J89Nick41YUk0RUt3YlU
>Just a charsheet w/o permission request shenanigans
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

Top Gear Edition: What cool wheels have you/your players cruised with?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p-K34m6vuY
>>
First for whatever, nobody cares, shit anon, what are you doing with your life?
>>
Second for shittiest coversation starter ever
>>
One player was kamen rider and had a first age hoverbike, it had no wheels.
OP, wheels aren't that interesting in Creation.
>>
New Topic:
What are your standard combat opening moves and charms, do you go for an alpha strike, big withering hit, buff yourself, debuff enemies, control the battlefield etc?
>>
File: carlos.jpg (116 KB, 625x409) Image search: [Google]
carlos.jpg
116 KB, 625x409
>>46607347
I mostly try to appeal to the enemy mercy by crying and pleading.

You could call it a beta strike.
>>
>>46607347
Informing them that their life's a wasted effort, has resulted into nothing, and they'd be better off dead than wasting the resources that could be used by beings with any actual value and worth, like those slugs that eat the fucking cabbages.
Then they kill themselves.
>>
>>46607347
Withering smashing attack , you're almost guaranteed to hit and it will give them a nasty penalty or force them to flurry/spend an action getting up
>>
>>46607347
Heaven Thunder Hammer, every time. Doesn't always hit but it always ends the battle.
>>
File: 1388007225329.gif (370 KB, 500x465) Image search: [Google]
1388007225329.gif
370 KB, 500x465
>>46608005
>>
Would being an Infernal corrupt blessings made by them with Sorcery?
>>
>>46606871
I once made an Infernal in a Modern setting whose Urge was "Go the Fastest."
Managed to build himself an Artifact N/A car by the end of the game that had an infinitely high gearbox, an engine powerful enough to deal with it, a steering wheel that let him channel his speed charms through the car, and wheels that were like the boots that make road underneath you as you walk.
The game ended before he got to drive it across the South, but they St and I decided he probably would have ended up ramping off the mountains at the west end at something like mach 20, jumping over An Tang, and crashing it into the Western ocean. Which is, obviously, a better result than wrapping it around a tree once he got to the East.
>>
File: _oI8KMua.jpg (32 KB, 402x366) Image search: [Google]
_oI8KMua.jpg
32 KB, 402x366
>>46608181
I don't think so, with what using Sorcery and not their own powers.
>>
File: 1457894650597.png (60 KB, 214x238) Image search: [Google]
1457894650597.png
60 KB, 214x238
>>46608233
>with what
What with, you incompetent fuckwit.
>>
>>46607347

Current character: alpha strike every round. Because Brawl.
>>
>>46607347
Rooster Crows Before the Dawn:
a combo consisting of Surprise Anticipation method, Stubborn Monkey Hesitation, and Heaven Thunder Hammer, plus a few dice adders and what what not.
Assassin tries to get the drop on me, I instead, turn, punch him in the face, launch him across the room, and everybody starts kung-fu fighting.
>>
>>46608116
If this is a reference, I don't get it.
>>
So has anyone homebrewed any gambits?
>>
>>46606871
This fucking dogshit picture again?
>>
>>46609242
These generals are infested with shitters who like that stuff.
>>
>>46607695
Speaking on Smashing attacks, anyone feel like the knockdown happening on any successful attack is too powerful? Should there be some minimum damage required?
>>
>>46609480

Smashing definitely kicks the shit out of most other tags.

Chopping is 400% garbage, since it amounts to lowering your Defense by 1 in exchange for +1 damage (because 2 of the +3 are used to recoup the 1i you paid) or to ignore 1 point of hardness (because same).

Which, don't get me wrong, I'd prefer tags in general to err towards the superficial rather than the super amazing, so I'd personally nerf Smashing rather than boost Chopping, but god damn.
>>
Just had a quick scan through the core; can anyone find any reference to buying additional shaping rituals, as well as the one you get with your XYZ Circle Sorcery charms?

I was sure this was a thing, but now I can't find a reference to it.
>>
>>46609617

There's a blurb about mortals acquiring additional shaping rituals at ST's discretion, which presumably would apply to the Chosen (at ST's discretion).
>>
>>46609656

Yeah, I saw that - but it was explicitly about mortals only ever having one SR. Whereas Exalts (or Solars at least) can have up to 3 from their charms, and those charms mention gaining those rituals "for free", which implies that there's another, costly, way of gaining them.
>>
>>46609678

No, it just implies you get it for free, as in without any additional cost.

Like I said: presumably, if you go out and strike a pact with an Ifrit Lord, your ST can deign to give you another shaping ritual even without another circle initiation, whether you're Chosen or not.

That's all there is to it.
>>
>>46609480
Yeah, I definitely think there should be something more involved. Maybe the target has has a chance to succeed at a sta+resistance roll with diff equal to damage/your strength or something?
>>
>>46609762
That would be fantastic for incentivising Strength actually.
>>
I have this theory that smashing's supposed to be better because it's more often found on heavy weapons and is supposed to make them a bit better.
>>
>>46609845

In theory maybe, but in practice there's 3 weapons with Smashing, one in each category.

As an idea I don't dislike that, though. Removing Smashing from Smashfists and Goremauls to bake it into the Heavy weapon statline might make people grumpy.
>>
>>46610047
huh, I forgot that there's a light weapon with smashing. Never mind then
>>
File: 1383620208892.png (63 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1383620208892.png
63 KB, 700x500
>>46608181
Maybe?
Roll a die, if success no if fail yes?
>>
File: queenie_consider.jpg (31 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
queenie_consider.jpg
31 KB, 460x460
>>46610247
Might as well flip a coin.
>>
So do you think Exigents will comeout this year because if not I'm about ready to give up on Exalted? I always homebrewed a lot of things since the only thing I really liked about Exalted was the concept of Exalted themselves. Though 2E's mechanics made me almost give up running campaigns a couple of times.
>>
>>46611132

Exigents is the second last book currently scheduled. Don't hold your breath.
>>
>>46611132
Exigents are the next splat after Dragon-blooded, but don't expect them this year.
>>
>>46607347

Open fire with a Firewand blast, and either finish off the target at range with a decisive, or if they're stupid enough to charge me, counterattack with the bayonet.
>>
Is there any point in using throwing needles in Exalted? In what situation could they be preferable to shurikens, for example?
>>
>>46613006

They're perfect for administering poison to a target that might be too fragile to eat a full join battle's worth of decisive damage, say a delicate royal mortal.

It's not really an either/or choice, though.
>>
>>46609571
Chopping is bretty good in the context of being a Resistance Solar with no melee charms at all. That's the only situation where I'd recommend it.
>>
How do you tell if someone is lying in Ex3? I can't find anything except Judge's Ear Technique in the rules.
>>
>>46613596

I'd use a Read Motivation action.

What I'm more confused about is if someone makes a social action against you, you use Judge's Ear and you know they're lying then... nothing happens. You'd still need to defend against the social influence attempt as normal.
>>
>>46613107
It's also pretty good if you have someone to defend you.
>>
>>46613639
The book actually covers the last part on page 227. They get a -5 to their roll if you know they're lying.
>>
>>46613812
Yeah, that whole section is another of those "here's something you can do that most people would think was impossible", like making a good impression with high society while naked and covered in blood.
>>
>>46613052
>They're perfect for administering poison to a target that might be too fragile to eat a full join battle's worth of decisive damage, say a delicate royal mortal.
Are we talking about some kind of a non-lethal poison? Since poisoning people with a weapon requires successful Decisive attack, and since a successful Decisive attack resets you to base Initiative, and since the Decisive attacks done with Subtle weapons don't actually deal any damage, needles seem like a really bad weapon for killing people, even with poison. If there was some kind of a Poison Gambit they might be a better choice.
>>
>>46614596
You can also use it for out of combat poisoning. Stuff like hitting the noble at the party you're attending with nobody noticing anything etc. Or what if you want to kill a person but not leave giant, obvious bleeding wounds? Nick them with a fast-acting poison and the puncture will probably be overlooked, leaving the death a mystery, not to mention no blood splatter.
>>
>>46613639
Presumably everybody in the world has at least a minor intimacy of "I don't enjoy being persuaded to do something under false pretense" on which you can all upon.
>>
>>46613639
Remember you need to use evidence to support some influences. If you try to get someone to dislike the guild by telling him they're planning to steal his job and outsource it to slaves, that's some valid evidence.
But if he /knows/ you're lying, then you don't have any evidence so the influence automatically fails.
>>
>>46615047

But Judge's Ear specifically states you know a person is lying. Even if the brought evidence, a lie is still a lie.
>>
>>46615398
That's the point. Sine you know they are lying, their play on your intimacy isn't valid since they aren't actually using it in a way that's possible. When someone tells you that the Guild is thinking about replacing you, they are trying to eappeal to your intimacy of not wanting to lose your income and standing. If they're lying, they can't actually appeal to it, because it's not valid, you are free to completely disregard their influence.
>>
>>46615398
Yes, exactly. That's what I'm saying. Their evidence is not evidence if it's known to be a lie.
>>
>>46614961
Would that be necessary, though? I can see a lot of situations where knowing the lie makes the entire social influence invalid. If a snake-oil salesman is going for "this potion will make you sexy" and guessing you have at least one romantic intimacy, but you know your medicine and know he's selling sugar water, then he's no longer targeting that intimacy. From your perspective, it's like "yes, I do like the look of the magistrate's daughter, but nothing you're saying is in any way relevant to that".
>>
Does it seem strange to anyone else that axes, hammers, maces, grimcleavers and goremauls are now the peak of defensive weapons?
>>
>>46616770
How so? Medium weapons have the highest defense bonus. Swoard n' board is still the most effective deffensive combination.

I am more salty about the fact that the stronger the combatant is and the lower their Dexterity is the mor inclined they are to use smaller weapons because they compensate with their accuracy bonus for lack of Dex dots. So you have a literal wall of muscles fighting with a tiny dagger, while the agile fighter is more inclined to use a surfboard because since they're gonna hit reliably anyway, they might as well plan on doing some damage.
>>
Are the Melee counterattack any good? It really seems foolish to use so many Decisive attacks. Aren't you supposed to use those sparingly?
>>
>>46616879
Fire and Stone turns the weak attacks you make into much, much stronger ones, while One Weapon, Two Blows rewards you for having low Initiative, since being able to Crash an oponent and then immediately follow up witha Decisive attack that benefits from the +5 bonus to your Initiative is huge.

Melee is a full package. It trully shines when you combine ALL of it into one, deadly combination. The true downside is that at that point you'll see that it drain your motes very quickly, but with Perfect Strike Discipline you at least get some leeway. If on top of that you are Dawn Caste and can refresh your dailies, it really is the single most deadly charmtree in the game when viewed hollistically.

You just need to fully give into it. But the same is true for Brawl, Archery, Thrown and any single Martial Arts style while they don't offer nearly as much power AND flexibility as Melee does.
>>
>>46614223
>like making a good impression with high society while naked and covered in blood.

There is a ton of ways for somebody to make a good impression with high society while naked and covered in blood. You can excuse the ambush of a political rival or a momentary enemy of the crown. You can play the madman, the fool, the really eccentric rich personage, or go full intimidation (which can be turned in a positive way if intimidation is exactly what they need right here right now).

A mortal with Manipulation 5 could pull it off. A Solar with Manipulation 5 and a full excellency will pull it off.
>>
File: 1454387086615.jpg (126 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1454387086615.jpg
126 KB, 1280x720
What are the Tri-Khan?
>>
>>46616978
I'm playing a Dawn swordsman, but I'm not sure I want to go full Supernal Melee. I feel like I'd end up sinking all of my charms into it and have nothing to do outside of combat or I'd only take some of the tree and have that nagging feeling that I'm not as strong as I could be.

Does that make any sense? I'd rather take a martial art because the tree is small; I can say "my character is a master of X" and then stop, and spend charms on other things. Also, Supernal Awareness seems fun.
>>
>Ex 3 core book – From RichT: Ordered revised PoD proofs, as they needed some color correction adjustments. Expect the PoDs not to be available for at least another week as we adjust and review the new PoD proofs being sent to us.
>>
>>46617081
You already asked a few threads ago.

>>46617199
The update last week said two weeks to go, so they're still on track then?
>>
File: 37.jpg (83 KB, 495x498) Image search: [Google]
37.jpg
83 KB, 495x498
>>46617245
Did it ever get answered?
>>
>>46617245
Seems like. It's next week when we find out for sure if shit's gonna be an endless spiral of perfectionism-spawned delays.
>>
>>46617268

Yes, anon. I answered it. Guess you didn't see.
>>
>>46617268
If you can't even remember why should we give a shit?
>>
>>46617164

The general consensus is that you should buy about 9 charms from your Supernal at chargen. You should buy Fivefold Bulwark Stance for defence, and then decide what kind of swordsman you want to play as. Stalwart Guardian? War Lion Stance and what branches off of it. Blindingly fast strikes? Invincible Fury of the Dawn. Turning a fight upside down with a single counterattack? Over-and-Under Method.
>>
File: 92.png (291 KB, 557x459) Image search: [Google]
92.png
291 KB, 557x459
>>46617304
I didn't! Could you answer it again, please?
>>
>>46617164
You don't need to. Melee is good even without supernaling it just by virtue of having a very good and short defensive suit (and the fact that your Parry benefits from defense bonus of weapons is great). I also cannot stress Summoning the Loyal Steel is. Being able to walk anywhere, at any time and being armed is something people underestimate heavily.

If you want to make a combat-focused character, you should obviously pick an ability and invest heavilly into it (unless you're toying with an idea of Supernal MA, but that's an idea that is... Difficult).

But you don't need to invest super hevailly right at chargen. With Supernal Melee for example all you really need to start you off is Excellent Strike, Deeping Swallow and Perfect Strike Discipline. Now obviousyly if that's the only thing you'll be using for combat you want to develop during the game. But that's just 3 Charms and that's it. You can keep buying more during the game or not and that's it and those 3 will never stp being useful. Being able to boost your parry by 5 for free in a clutch is very, very good.
>>
>>46616981
Is Agile Dragonfly Blade any good? It seems like it wouldn't come up very often.
>>
>>46617322
So IFotD instead of Shining Point, then? I do love me some Vergil. Although I also love the idea of mimicking the style in a duel just to annoy my opponent. Vergil knows Single Point, but Dante knows Melee; this was discussed in a previous thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jj0Q5VnS5w

Nine on supernal seems a bit excessive though. If I wanted three charms for Thunderbolt Attack Prana (personal favourite) and one charm for Sorcery then I've got two left. Which sort of sucks.
>>
>>46617322
>The general consensus is that you should buy about 9 charms from your Supernal at chargen.
No it isn't. You buy as many charms as your character needs from each skill until you run out.
>>
>>46617199

>Dec 2016 update: Ex 3 core book – From RichT: Ordered revised PoD proofs, as they needed some color correction adjustments. Expect the PoDs not to be available for at least another week as we adjust and review the new PoD proofs being sent to us.
>>
>>46617390
Odd choice of reply target. But yes, assuming you ever have a fight which isn't you curb-stomping your opponent from start to finish you're probably going to end up attacking someone who has higher initiative than you. Say five higher, and you land an attack that drops them to two higher. Free attack. Say that's another withering attack and you drop them to one less. Another free attack. If you ever fight someone like Octavian with high soak and the ability to deck your circlemates for initiative, it'll be useful.
>>
>>46617397

>So IFotD instead of Shining Point, then?

Got to be aware of what you're buying with IFotD. It allows you to do a number of decisive attacks equal to your highest physical attribute in one turn. If you use Peony Blossom Technique, IFotD becomes reflexive, so you can chain the two into each other repeatedly if you don't mind blowing half your mote pool and all your willpower in one turn you can fire off 15+ attacks.
>>
>>46617457
That is basically what I fear will happen, yes.
>>
>>46617495
Which neatly illustrates the point I made about how Melee becomes more and more broken as you keep buying Charms. There is a point at which the only limitting factor is your mote pool.

Which, incidentally can be mitigated with Lore and/or Occult. A Superanl Dawn Melee Sorceror is a frighetning combination that can just never run out of steam.
>>
>>46617330

Why even bother.

The only thing that's going to happen is that you're going to come in here, as what this ability is used for expecting us to spoonfeed you, which we'll tell you read the fucking manual. After you'll ask what charms are best used on your character, to which the people who do actually try to help you'll dismiss as 'not fitting your character concept.' After you lose to the very first Dragonblooded that appears in your game, you'll ask us what went wrong, to that we'll laugh and tell you to read the fucking book next time. You'll look at people in envy who know what the fuck they're doing, with tailored sorcery/artifacts for their characters and want that, but have no idea how to stat them, leaving to a frustrated person leaving the game forever.

You're welcome. Now get the fuck out of our general.
>>
>>46617597

>A Supernal Dawn Melee Sorceror is a frighetning combination that can just never run out of steam.

This one I've not heard of yet. How does it work?
>>
Gentlemen! My autism continues unabated for the good? of all.

I have added a character generation side panel that will allow you to more easily track the various dots and BP you have put into things without wasting time counting them in a really annoying fashion like I have done far too many times.

I have also added an area that will fill in with the image you put in the portrait cell, mostly as a joke with a friend and to get rid of some dead space but ended up liking it. The way that is formatted is it will stretch to fit into the cell provided which may which may create wonky situations since the image I have in there was already kind of in a square shape so the distortion wasn't that bad.

The link is the same as the one in the OP since I just keep updating the same sheet but here it is again for clarity.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing

Once again, make your own copy and do with it what you will. Any comments or bugs I would love to hear about so I can change or fix it.

Also, a request to future OPs, the "Just a charsheet w/o permission request shenanigans" is I feel a tad disingenuous for the amount of autism I have pumped into this, a more fitting description would be kindly appreciated.
>>
File: 1382826916579.png (53 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1382826916579.png
53 KB, 700x500
>>46617642
Thank you
>>
So Unsurpassed Hearing And Touch Discipline allows you to hear perfectly through a wire up to Essence x 100 yards away. My question is who has a wire that long in creation and what is it made of? At essence 3 that's crazy long.

I'm wondering if I should take it as an artifact and do it Ninja Scroll style, as a combination of the villain's retractable thread and Jubei's sword-tether though I don't know how to balance the latter against Call The Blade.

What do you guys think?
>>
File: 1457476230447.jpg (41 KB, 500x463) Image search: [Google]
1457476230447.jpg
41 KB, 500x463
>>46617686
>though I don't know how to balance the latter against Call The Blade.
Why do it then
>>
>>46617628
Well, it requires a whole lot of setup, but basically, you're gonna need a couple of things:

1) A good Join Battle Booster. In my experience Awekening Eye does the job admirably, but you might dip into the Thrown tree for that. That would also have the benefit of allowing you to start the fights by opening with a few free attacks and that's great.

2) You're gonna need the Melee charmtree. All of it. Or at least as much of it as you can. It has a real snowball effect going where you keep getting more and more and more value.

3) You're gonna need Lore and Occult Charms that boost mote and WP recovery. These have high prereqs unfortunately, but they help immensly. Spirit-Drawing Oculus in particular in conjuntion with Lore Charms really helps. It's all about trnaforming one form of resource into another and basically cheating on the "use only for <Twilight abilities> Charms" thing.

4) Hungry Raptor. There isn't much more to say about this, it's just a great alpha strike to open the fight with as well as a great way to finish it. In theory you could also use Obsidian Butterfiles but damage-wise Raptor is superior when you can amass high Initiative and with your full suit you sure can.

The idea is that you start off the fight by getting a large Initiative pool and immediately use to throw a raptor at your opposition. That resets your Initaive but you don't need it to unleash Blazing Solar Bolt now do you? And since you have Heavenly Guardian Defense, you can defend yourself easilly while relying on One Weapon, Two Blows to generate free attacks against crashed oponents. You can always whip out the Whirlwind when you need it.

Now obviously this all costs a ridiculous amounts of motes and WP, but you can replenish those with Lore and Occult Charms. And even if you're COMPLETELY spent... You still have Sorcery.

This also has an added benefit of being effective at any range, thus completely nullifying the one blind spot of close-range combat- archers.
>>
>>46617744
Because it's way cooler than 'magic'.
>>
Can Infernal freely make new Charms like Solars, or is their repertoire limited to just what the Yozi allow?
>>
File: 1457823844969.png (39 KB, 156x129) Image search: [Google]
1457823844969.png
39 KB, 156x129
Meant the attempt to balance against thing.
>>
>>46618202
What?
>>
File: tumblr_o37iynqnvU1r4wytxo1_1280.jpg (188 KB, 1118x1920) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o37iynqnvU1r4wytxo1_1280.jpg
188 KB, 1118x1920
>>46617642
Thanks mate, wouldn't be playing 3e without you.

>>46618219
Probably meant to reply to >>46618054 I guess?
>>
>>46618172

They can make new Charms for a certain Yozi tree as long as it's within theme for the Yozi. (ie You can't make a charm to help you be a shining paladin of all virtue and slot it into the Ebon Dragon charm set). Sidereals are the only Exalts that can't make new charms in 2e, but because charms are just a representation of what you can do and not a discrete thing in Ex3, that might change. Who knows?
>>
>>46617642

Anathema when?
>>
>>46618319

Note that there is explicitly a big difference between "Sidereals cannot create new Charms" and "Sidereal players cannot create new Charms," as 2e tried to demonstrate.
>>
>>46618319
> but because charms are just a representation of what you can do and not a discrete thing in Ex3, that might change. Who knows?

For Solar Exalted. Everybody else follows their respective rules. There still be might be the Chosen for who Charms ARE entirely discrete things or even a type of Exalt who's charm selection is a blend between things that are discrete techniques and things that a freeform representation of their Essence.

Which, can I just point out one things? For a system that assumes that "Charms" are a mechanical abstraction and that each character is going to express their abilities differently, representing them by a huge landry list of spells ala D&D is really fucking unintuitive.
>>
>>46617838
Are you sure this isn't a build for an Occult Supernal Twilight/Eclipse? Not sure how you're accessing those Lore and Occult charms otherwise. Spirit-Drawing Oculus in particular is Essence 5, but your Awareness and Melee charms (except for Blazing Solar Bolt) are Essence 2 max.

Not saying that as a bad thing at all; I quite like the idea. But this isn't a Dawn Sorcerer, this is a Twilight Swordsman.
>>
>>46618748
>Not sure how you're accessing those Lore and Occult charms otherwise.

By having high Essence. I DID say it requires a whole lot of setup.

The thing is, you really want that ability to refresh your dailies from Dawn Anima. It wouldn't work nearly as well with Twilight Anima unfortunately.
>>
>>46618853
I'm not big on the idea of high level builds. They're fun to come up with, but how many campaigns actually last long enough for them to come into effect?

That's a lot of the reason why I like Single Point and Melee Parry rather than pure Melee. 6 Solar Charms, 9 MA Charms, and you're done. Essence 3, congrats, you've reached your maximum ass-kicking potential with that build. No need to worry about what you might be able to do thirty-five sessions from now, if the campaign lasts that long (seriously, how many campaigns have you been in that lasted even 35 sessions total?)
>>
File: 1420225859567.gif (997 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1420225859567.gif
997 KB, 160x160
>>46618911

>not having a tight-knit group of players you've managed to weed out and find the best of, who're going on 50+ sessions now
>>
>>46618342
Pffft yeah like that's going to happen.
>>
>>46618911
Unless, of course, the theme and Imagery of Single Point (or some other MA) are inappropriate for your character. With Melee you have your choice of weapons and you can fluff/stunt much more freely.

I'd very much like to play a fully-armoured fighter with a polearm, but White Reaper just isn't the right thing.
>>
>>46618911
Yes, well, the thing about this build is that for the majority of them game you're gonna be starved for resources if you decide to go all out (then again if you do, most of the fights will end really quickly. I can attest to some really high-end threats like Secod Circle demons not being able to stand the heat of a few riunds of combat and that was at Essence 3).

But if you try to be reserved and play it slow and safe, which let's be fair is what Melee encourages, it's very deffensive in nature, you can last longer than you'd think.

Also, as I've said, you can always keep spamming Sorcery. Spells don't cost motes from your own pools.
>>
>>46617838

What are these Lore charms that let you keep going all day?

There's Immanent Solar Glory, which will gain you 1-2 motes with each Lore roll (with its expansion) - but how are you getting Lore rolls in combat?

There's Essence Draining Touch, but that's 1wp, 6i and a simple action for *maybe* one or two motes, depending on the target's Resolve.

There's Surging Inner Fire, which gets you +1m a round, and a variable amount once per battle if you've stockpiled Willpower.

They're a nice little bonus, but they're not going to fuel massive mote expenditures every round.
>>
>>46618671
>Which, can I just point out one things? For a system that assumes that "Charms" are a mechanical abstraction and that each character is going to express their abilities differently, representing them by a huge landry list of spells ala D&D is really fucking unintuitive.

This is one of the reasons why I have still yet to play Exalted, despite having read and followed the setting for nearly a decade.

Why can't my guy just be so good at talking that he can convince people he doesn't exist? Why does he need to take "Splendid Crane's Mind Erasing Speech Method" which is found in page 122 some random book, but I can't take it until I've already learned "Resplendent tongue technique" on page 110.

I think the game would benefit from a more freeform "These are your purviews. ST determines difficulty on the fly based on how awesome you want to be, and you spend motes to increase the odds of successes".

Or make a much smaller number of charms that have increased number of uses/applications depending on how many dots you have them. So "Silver Tongue" would be a single charm, which at 1 mote would make you extremely charming to one person, while at higher levels, you can rewrite memories or affect entire nations.
>>
needs more alchemicals
>>
>>46619628
I have a feeling this might be what Scion 2e will do. It will likely end up a far superior system.
>>
>>46619628
It's much easier to remove rules than add them. Why not just replace the charms with generic charms, or fuck about with Fate or something?
>>
>>46619628
There are quite a few Exalted-lite systems out there, if that is your thing.
>>
>>46619628
Cool opinion, guy who has never actually played the game
>>
>>46618202
holy SHIT baby takane a cute
>>
>>46619209
In conjunction with yyour standard regen, Spirit-Drawing Oculus and that Charm that gives you 3 temporary WP for 7m, they make admirable job.

The thing is that it's not really that you are refilled immediately, the idea is that you can spend lots of motes and WP at once on huge combos and then replenish them much quicker than you normally would while using Sorcery at that point, which doesn't drain your pools.

Yes, there are short moments during which you are drained briefly. You still have to play it smart and not empty yourself completely, because that's always risky. But you have a much larger margin of error.
>>
>>46619628

1) I have played something like that in fate. It was aweful as everyone felt the exact same with little to no mechanical difference between characters, let alone exalt types.

2) your idea has been suggested multiple times. The devs said theyd never, ever make exalted like that.
>>
>>46619755

I'd post pictures, but there is the total conversion homebrew i wrote for them in 3e.
>>
File: Wow.jpg (26 KB, 560x458) Image search: [Google]
Wow.jpg
26 KB, 560x458
>>46611132

At the rate we're going I'd expect the Exalted line to die right after, or maybe just before, the core is released.
>>
>>46620123
>Cool opinion, guy who has never actually played the game

For the stated reason. It's not like I haven't played other games, including other White Wolf games. Just saying why I've never actually played Exalted because I don't like how Charms work.

And I didn't offer said opinion until other posters had already broached the subject of what Charms are and how they operate.

And I have been reading the books for decade and across multiple editions, and have seen the game in action, and even flirted with running a game once, so I'm not exactly ignorant in regards to how things actually work.

>>46622857
>>1) I have played something like that in fate. It was aweful as everyone felt the exact same with little to no mechanical difference between characters, let alone exalt types.

I ran an Exalted-like game using the Tribe 8 system, which turned out pretty well. Every character gets Emeninces, and unless two players choose the same eminence and focus on the same sets of skills, they ended up fairly differently.

It even has Aspects, which are a lot like charms, but you get a lot fewer of them and their main advantage is not that they let you do stuff, but they let you do certain things that would normally require really high rolls in a simpler fashion.

>2) your idea has been suggested multiple times. The devs said theyd never, ever make exalted like that.

Not surprised. As is the case with lots of games, radically changing core mechanics from edition to edition can often turn away fans of the previous edition who liked how things worked.
>>
>>46623079
>Not surprised. As is the case with lots of games, radically changing core mechanics from edition to edition can often turn away fans of the previous edition who liked how things worked.
especially when you change them to shittier mechanics
>>
>>46623141
>>especially when you change them to shittier mechanics

So now we're allowed to offer unsolicited value judgements about games we've never played?
>>
>>46623163
yes
>>
>>46623141
Oh, D&D, you poor poor baby, what have they done to you
>>
Can somebody tell me if I am correct or not.

Once a fair folk has sworn something on its true name and perhaps an Eclipse Oath it will never break it correct? Like even if it wanted to it is incapable of doing so by its nature right? Or do you need to Wyld-Shape/Order-Affirming Blow them to make them into the character you want that they cannot escape?
>>
Hey /tg/, myself and a friend of mine are working on creating simple, noob-friendly flowcharts for every Charm tree in the leaked 3e book, with concise explanations of how each one works. We'll be sure to post the flowcharts on /exg/ once they're done.
>>
Hi there /exg/. My friend and I are working on creating simple, easy to follow flowcharts for every Charm tree in the leaked 3e. They will contain information about requisites, cost, et cetera, along with brief, concise descriptions of how they work in gameplay terms. I'll be sure to post them to /exg/ when we're done.
>>
>>46623309

That's basically correct. Just know that Fair Folk are only ever bound to the letter of their oaths, and they're a lot better at twisting words than virtually everyone else.
>>
>>46623536
>Charms...simple...concise

Good luck with that. Looking forward to the Craft tree :P
>>
>>46623536
>>46623601
fug. I was certain captcha had eaten my first post.
>>
>>46623615
...you're not wrong. We'll cross and/or burn that bridge when we come to it. We might just skip that one and come back to it after all the other charts are completed and released.
>>
File: 1457735718114.jpg (314 KB, 1000x1385) Image search: [Google]
1457735718114.jpg
314 KB, 1000x1385
>>46622874
What where
>>
>>46619628
>Why can't my guy just be so good at talking that he can convince people he doesn't exist? Why does he need to take "Splendid Crane's Mind Erasing Speech Method" which is found in page 122 some random book, but I can't take it until I've already learned "Resplendent tongue technique" on page 110.
>I think the game would benefit from a more freeform "These are your purviews. ST determines difficulty on the fly based on how awesome you want to be, and you spend motes to increase the odds of successes".
For one, the existence of superhuman capability should not be subject to the whims of the dice. If I have the eyes of a hawk, I have them always, not only when fortune is kind.

For two, mortals mortals do not get blatantly supernatural prowess just because they got a good roll. At the same time, a skilled mortal should be able to compete with an Exalt who is either not skilled in a particular area or not actually trying.
>>
>>46623720
>For two, mortals mortals do not get blatantly supernatural prowess just because they got a good roll. At the same time, a skilled mortal should be able to compete with an Exalt who is either not skilled in a particular area or not actually trying.

1) you can say that mortals can't even attempt such impossible feats.

2) Place a cap on successes.

Again- not saying that Exalted SHOULD change. But there are alternatives.
>>
>>46623536
>>46623601
>>46623644

>Get into Exalted
>Have an idea I think is cool
>Go to /exg/, which I have never been on before, to have my e-peen stroked
>The flowcharts have already been made
>They look better than mine

I must leave in shame and never return.
>>
>>46623988
good
now, make a character builder
for alchemicals
>>
>>46624226
Anathema doesn't do that?
>>
>>46624404
It didn't, last time I checked, because alchemical charms are handled differently than everyone else's, since you can purchase multiples and put 'em in arrays and shit.
>>
>>46624226
>now, make a character builder

I posted this in another thread, but it got archived shortly after, so I don't know if anyone saw it: http://howsfamily.net/loom.apk

It's an Android character sheet. Still very much in alpha at the moment, but I'm using it in our own gaming sessions.

>for alchemicals

I promise to support them when they're published for 3E, if I'm still alive.
>>
>>46624404
>>46624421
Yeah, it doesn't.
Does have Cheraki DB, whatever the fuck they are.
>>
File: 1383005806162.png (109 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1383005806162.png
109 KB, 700x500
>>46624431
>I posted this in another thread, but it got archived shortly after, so I don't know if anyone saw it: http://howsfamily.net/loom.apk
>It's an Android character sheet. Still very much in alpha at the moment, but I'm using it in our own gaming sessions.
>
3e?
>>
>>46624447

Yeah
>>
>>46624433
DBs from Cherak, the House Ferem seat of power. Basically, bumpkin cadet house Dynasts who fight like the Taiwanese parliament.
>>
>>46623667

Check the homebrew folder in OP. Version 1.4, version 1.0 is really dated.
>>
>>46623767

This is pretty much what Fate is to me.
>>
>>46622973
So, in about five years?
>>
>>46625514
>>This is pretty much what Fate is to me.

Hardly the only system to have such limits.
>>
>>46623163
Seriously, where does this vitriolic hatred for people who preffer simple mechanics comes from? I mean I know it's 4chan, but even here it just comes off as childish.
>>
/tg/ when a charm tells you to roll a full excellency, does it mean a roll enhanced by a free full excellency or just the amount of dice you'd get out of a full excellency?
>>
2018 - Exalted 3e released
2030 - Abyssals & Lunars playable
2031 - Exalted 4e released
2080 - All splats playable
2082 - Exalted 5e announced

>When the sun runs out, will any of this matter?
>>
>>46626740
It's not a hatred for people who merely prefer simple mechanics, it's a hatred for people who shit on more complex mechanics for the sole reason that they're more complex than games like FATE.
>>
>>46626740

I'm jaded as people tend to spout the ideas like the one true thing that'd fix Exalted, when people who played Exalted for a long time know that the exact same idea has come up no less than a half dozen times for them.
>>
>>46626821
But that anon didn't do that. He just expressed his opinion calmly and then gets shit on anyway.

I don't get it.

I mean, I personally think that more complex mechanics are objectively worse, but that anon doesn't seem to. Where's the hate coming from?
>>
>>46626762

Yes, a roll enhanced by a full excellency.

Otherwise, they'd just tell you to make a attr+ability roll, as that's identical to what you'd roll if you were just rolling the excellency part.
>>
>>46626769
where the FUCK are the alchemicals
>>
>>46626870
>But that anon didn't do that

Several before him have, though. I've lost count of the times somebody has spouted the "complex mechanics are unacceptable/outdated/pointless" meme in these threads. It's gotten well to the point that one can assume people complaining about the complexity are just stirring up shit.
>>
>>46617686
Bringing this up again: How would you guys handle a near invisible wire as a non-weapon artifact?
>>
>>46627912

Starmetal artifact, about two dots?
>>
>>46627920
Would it have any utility beyond being a wire? Could it wrap around or release things on its own? Would it be retractable?
>>
>>46627974

It's a length of wire that's effectively endless, but takes up a mote of Essence for each...What, thirty feet or so? Possibly it's a wire-gun, a grip you hold in your hand and the line extends from there? So it can retract like a grappling-hook gun, and you can use it websling around.
>>
>>46607347
What's the order of operations for stealth and ebon style sneak attacks?
I'm not quite sure how these charms all work together in practice.
>>
>>46619755
Want Alchemicals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyxOXjZHl9U

Here's BEST ALCHEMICAL
>>
>>46606871

Man, in the most recent session, I just realized how fucking weird Exalted's society is. Case in point: We rescued a merchant's daughter, and we went to her family's mansion for dinner.

It turns out that her mother was an outcaste Dragon-blooded, AND was younger and hotter than her own daughter. This likely gets even weirder when it's not just biological age, one is superhuman and the other isn't.

I mean, this is probably why long-lived Exalted get really weird. The Solars have only been back for a handful of years, so they're all connected to their human lives. But if they live several centuries, you're going to get very disconnected from everyone else.
>>
>>46626870
People have heard others claim that simpler, lighter mechanics are factually better and crunchier systems just plain worse often enough that they tend to overreact when someone mentions wanting a lighter alternative for Exalted's system. That's all there is.

>I mean, I personally think that more complex mechanics are objectively worse
Like this, this is the reason.
>>
>>46629346
Maybe the reason you keep hearing this opinion is the same you keep hearing that here world is round? Maybe it's just because, you know, maybe it's because it's factual?

Just a thought.
>>
>>46629371
Well it has no evidence to support it, but lets agree because lots of people believe it. Like vaccines causing autism.
>>
>>46629371
>>46629346

My 2 cents:

I don't think complicated mechanics are bad. Or rules heavy systems either.

Now BLOATED mechanics and BLOATED systems? THOSE are bad. And I think Exalted is an example of a bloated system.

A system with so many different subsystems and interconnecting parts of mechanical deficiency that it sacrifices trying to be really good at one thing and just becomes mediocre to bad at a whole bunch of things.
>>
>>46629371
Then what is the reason I also keep hearing the opposite opinion?

I mean, it is pretty obvious that there is no 'factually true' when we're talking about something as subjective as roleplaying mechanics. Oh, sure, mechanics can be factually unsuited for achieving that they're supposed to achieve, but bad rules being bad has no implications for whether games 'should' be light or crunchy. Some people are mostly interested in the narrative side of role-playing games and don't want unnecessary crunch getting in the way of this, while others also enjoy role-playing games as games, with the mechanical side of things being fun and interesting in itself rather than just something to facilitate storytelling. And get this, sometimes people can like both of these things and enjoy both light and crunchy games. At the end of the day, the only factual truth in this matter is that anyone who claims that either rules light or rules heavy games are objectively better is objectively wrong.
>>
>>46629431
>Then what is the reason I also keep hearing the opposite opinion?

And why do you keep hearing of flat-earthers? A comfortable lie born of ignorance to a more sensible alternative is much better thing for some people then accpeting the evidence for a different conclusion.
>>
>>46629183

>AND was younger and hotter than her own daughter.

Actually younger, or just looked younger due to being an Exalt? The latter is understandable.
>>
>>46629506
Okay, so since me keeping hearing of an opinion is apparently no indication of the veracity of that opinion, what the fuck was the point of >>46629371? You obviously don't think the argument made there to support your point of view is valid, so why'd you - I assume it was you - made that argument in the first place?
>>
>>46629506
This is some elaborate trolling. If people keep saying you believe it's because it's true, if people keep saying something to the contrary that's because they crave the comfort of ignorance.

Not because of having different opinions or anything, whatever you believe is factually correct.
>>
>>46629506
>evidence
Anon, please.
>>
>>46629183
Families of mortals and dragon-blooded are really fucked up, more than families of mortals and celestial exalt.

If you're father or mother is a celestial exalt, that's all. She's like a god or a goddess sent to earth. She can do things you can only imagine, but she will be distant figure at best, busy doing her own things and only remotely watching you grow. You will maybe have some minor powers as a result of your celestial heritage, but it isn't more of a fucked up relationship than having a god as a father. He is strange. He is powerful. He is distant. Unknowable.

If you are in a terrestrial family and you didn't exalt, then there is something wrong with you. Your mother exalted. Your brother exalted. Why not you? You will spend your life getting older and older while your mother stay eternally young, and watching your sweet baby brother being propelled into new heights while you are barely even acknowledged.

Can you image the deep sated frustration, hate, anger, and bitterness such a situation can bring? It is the perfect mold for an infernal exaltation.
>>
>>46629612
>If you're father or mother is a celestial exalt, that's all. She's like a god or a goddess sent to earth. She can do things you can only imagine, but she will be distant figure at best, busy doing her own things and only remotely watching you grow. You will maybe have some minor powers as a result of your celestial heritage, but it isn't more of a fucked up relationship than having a god as a father. He is strange. He is powerful. He is distant. Unknowable.

You do know some Celestials treat their children as actual children and helicopter their kids to insanity. They don't need to be a distant god. They can be staring at you ALL THE TIME. I mean hell taking 20 years off to raise a kid is nothing in a Celestial lifespan. Sometimes you are the project.
>>
>>46629651
>>46629612
Not to mention: We do OOC know you can't really force a celestial exaltion, but do your characters know that IC? or are they going to try and drive their poor mortal kids into going out and doing heroic shit they can't survive so they'll exalt.
>>
>>46629673

They probably know it is entirely up the UCS. If he does not want to Exalt their kid they probably won't throw the kid into dangerous situations to get things done. They would probably call in a favor from a god they got promoted to all hell to Exigent their kid instead. And well if the god refuses Ghost-Eating Technique and then the various presence and performance charms to get you out of trouble afterwards exist.
>>
>>46629721
>They probably know it is entirely up the UCS.
Zeniths, maybe, but every other caste has basically no inherent knowledge of just what they are or how it works.
>>
>>46629651
But even then, she is distant. She can be the more smothering mother ever, she will still be an awesome figure you will have no hope to ever match. You can't be jealous when there was no hope to attain her to begin with. Even the more down to earth, loving celestial mother will still be alien by the virtue of being able to do things no one can do, and certainly not her children. Indeed the relationship between a mortal and a celestial mother can be profoundly unhealthy (more so when it is so easy for a mother to brainwash her children into submission), but having a sane outlook on life is easy to get from those premises.

Terrestrial exaltation is inheritable. There is always the hope that you'll get it. And the maddening, utter despair that lasts an entire life when you don't and you see your brother get it. People routinely break for far less. I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of the mortal population of any house would welcome becoming an Akuma with open arm if given the chance.
>>
>>46629762

By the time they start trying to have kids and make them Exalt they would have asked of found out.
>>
>>46629721
Imagine for a moment how weird does it have to be to get the same Exaltation that your parent had? Now that's an entirely new level of confusingly fucked-up.
>>
I am now going with the idea that the Exigence was shut off because the UCS was tired of Solars getting gods to suicide themselves so their kids will Exalt. One of the many things that caused the UCS to slam his head into the wall of the Jade Pleasure Dome during the First Age.
>>
>>46629790
>But even then, she is distant.
Absolutely no reason that that would be necessarily the case.
>>
>>46629820

Its not like their are stories of a super-badasses "retiring" from action to raise kids and they don't even know that person was such a super-badass.
>>
>>46629795
>By the time they start trying to have kids
Not necessarily, you could start having kids the moment you exalt
>>
>>46629854

You probably are not going to try and make your kid like yourself right away. If you really have no idea what is going on you are not going to rope your child in right away. And if you don't find out in a decade the UCS is in charge of Exalting you you must be living in a cave.
>>
>>46629891
>you must be living in a cave.
I don't think the knowledge is as easy to get as you think it is. Basically nobody in Creation except Sids, Lunars and MAYBE a few Zeniths knows what's up. Even Lore/occult 5 won't help you any. And visiting Heaven is super-hard.
Your best bet is probably first age memories, but those always feel like handwaving.
>>
>>46629891
Or, you know, Creation.
>>
>>46629923

One in 5 Solars in a Zenith. Every single one received a vision from the UCS. So you must have never run into one. Except Solars tend to clump together. So its possible you never ran into one but highly unlikely.
>>
>>46629969
>Except Solars tend to clump together.

The iconic circle do (as an example to your PCs), but all those guys have been around for a while.

And your PCs do because they're the PCs and you know all the information.

But if you think back to all the other Exalts who aren't iconic NPCs or PCs who end up in circles, and if they are, not in circles that have a Zenith and have never seen another Solar- perhaps for years or decades...

It's also implied that until relatively recently, MOST Solars that appear don't really live long enough to find out/spread the truth before the Wyld Hunt or something else gets a hold of them.
>>
>>46629969
>Solars tend to clump together.

150, give or take, out of several billion people. Do you have ANY idea how ridiculosuly small your chances of meeting another Solar are? It gets even worse once you realize that only 1/5th of those is going to be a Zenith.
>>
>>46629969
Why would Solars clump together? You're each a magnificent champion of the sun, capable of taking on half the world alone. You need a certain humility to seek out others in alliance.
>>
>>46630025

Shit is hitting the fan now more then ever. If the Solars do not enter circles they will die very quickly. Also due to the massive amount of Solars around the truth is going to come out at an incredible speed. As all these empires and kingdoms that pop up claiming to be the servants of the UCS you will find out really quickly. Yeah it may not happen for a decade but you are not going to attempt to Exalt a 3 year old.
>>
>>46630112
>If the Solars do not enter circles they will die very quickly.
Why? You can easily go to the edge of the world and be an undefeated warrior, or study the secrets of the universe in seclusion. You have to actually try to raise a kindom in the threshold for the Realm to give a shit about you these days.
>>
>>46630083

Very high. Due to the fact that unless you are just sitting hiding in a cave foraging for food and doing nothing else you are going to be out doing things. Fighting despots. Maybe becoming a despot. Righting wrongs and being a big damn hero. While you may help out the countryside here and there most of the time you are passing through from major locations like cities and civilizations. Out of the major locations several solars are going to clump up in the same locations. Maybe not all at once but over the period of years they will. So you in the end are going to run into another Solar.

>>46630110

Well as the whole conversation started you don't know you are a magnificent champion of the sun. At best you think you are a demon who is being hunted by the Dragonblooded. You know the dragonblooded are mighty so you would want allies to survive.
>>
>>46630154

>You can easily go to the edge of the world and be an undefeated warrior

Excellent choice for an Exaltation on the UCS's part. Exalt somebody who will run away and hide at the edge of the world. While he can make mistakes like that this is an extreme case.

>study the secrets of the universe in seclusion

Well then you are going to find out who you are at the same rate of encountering a Zenith. And eventually you need to put that knowledge into use and walk outside and see all the Solars fighting the Dragonblooded and the world being magnificently fucked.
>>
>>46629969
>One in 5 Solars in a Zenith. Every single one received a vision from the UCS.
A vision that goes along the lines of "Go and be righteous in my name, no I'm not going to define 'righteous', figure it out". That doesn't exactly provide in-depth knowledge of how Exaltation works.
>>
>>46630218
>walk outside and see all the Solars fighting the Dragonblooded and the world being magnificently fucked.

At which point you are completely free to ignore it entirealy.
>>
>>46630112
>Also due to the massive amount of Solars around the truth is going to come out at an incredible speed
150 in a world the size of creation is a massive number? The number of those that might have been told how Exaltation works is at best 30 and by your own argument there's a chance that they get killed.

>>46630170
Over the period of decades or centuries maybe. The world is fucking massive.

>>46630218
The Unconquered Sun doesn't pick people who he thinks will sort things out, that isn't written anywhere. The Mandate of Heaven has been passed the the Exalted, he picks the greatest of them to do whatever they will with the gift of Exaltation.

Studying the secrets of the universe doesn't guarantee finding out that the Unconquered Sun exalts Solars manually either. How will watching the stars, experimenting with sorcery or herbs or advancing mathematics tell you that?
>>
>>46630112
>Shit is hitting the fan now more then ever. If the Solars do not enter circles they will die very quickly.

On the contrary. The Wyld Hunt is waning, the Immaculate Order/Realm's grip on Satrapies is loosening, and people are more willing to work with anathema. It doesn't mean they actually know what you are, but you're not as likely to get hunted down for being anathema.

>>As all these empires and kingdoms that pop up claiming to be the servants of the UCS you will find out really quickly. Yeah it may not happen for a decade but you are not going to attempt to Exalt a 3 year old.

Most people in the world don't even know the Scarlett Empress is missing. Most people don't know a lot of the stuff their leaders claim to know.

And with the narratives that dominate Creation, which story are people more likely to believe in the long run: Tha "This person is a returned Solar Exalted, meant to destroy your entire way of life, but replace it with a grand and glorious future....

Or, "This person is an anathema of some sort who wishes to destroy your entire way of life and win your confidence by ways of a honeyed tongue, seductive looks, and wondrous actions,"?

Most people just don't know what's going on. Very very very few members of the Wyld Hunt even know they're hunting "Solars" (among other things).
>>
>>46630218
>Excellent choice for an Exaltation on the UCS's part. Exalt somebody who will run away and hide at the edge of the world. While he can make mistakes like that this is an extreme case.
Yeah, someone who goes defend the borders of the Creation from the Fair Folk sure is a waste of Exaltation.
>>
>>46630259
>150 in a world the size of creation is a massive number?
Didn't they make the number of Celestial Exaltations undefined in 3e deliberately?
>>
>>46630314
It's still those margins anyway.
>>
>>46630314
Maybe, but I doubt it's a 'massive number'.
>>
>>46630346
People seriously overestimate the impact Solars have on the world and speed with which they can gather information, in a world filled with warlords of every stripe, prophets and magicians, spirits and ghosts that garner large cults.

Solars are just another bleep on the radar that's been going all red for a long, long time.
>>
>>46630259

>The number of those that might have been told how Exaltation works is at best 30 and by your own argument there's a chance that they get killed.

They are going to come back right away. Its not like Exalts stop Exalting now.

>Over the period of decades or centuries maybe. The world is fucking massive.

Of all the canon Exalted how many are not with another Solar or are in a population center who knows who the Bull of the North is? I know you can say that it is due to the chances your party will run into them that they were put there but they are there to serve examples. Sure you can have that one Exalt out in the middle of nowhere defeating a mountain god threatening a little village but most are going to be in cities or in circles.

>The Unconquered Sun doesn't pick people who he thinks will sort things out, that isn't written anywhere.

No he picks people who will be big damn heroes. Running to the edge of the world and not doing anything is not being a big damn hero. Usually those people are cowards and not deserving a Solar Exaltation.

>On the contrary. The Wyld Hunt is waning, the Immaculate Order/Realm's grip on Satrapies is loosening, and people are more willing to work with anathema. It doesn't mean they actually know what you are, but you're not as likely to get hunted down for being anathema.

And the Deathlords are rising. Civil war is going to take down the world's only superpower and every two bit Solar God-King is going to make his own empire and try and take over Creation. Its called the Time of Tumult for a reason.

>
Most people in the world don't even know the Scarlett Empress is missing. Most people don't know a lot of the stuff their leaders claim to know.

Yeah but the Solars are going to take over the terrorities where the bumpkins live as they are further from Realm control. So these ignorant people are going to know first. The Realm will care just for the fact an Anathema is raising a realm of their own in bumfuckville.
>>
>>46630110

Because of safety in numbers. And because you begin to remember your old life. You're drawn to each other, the same way your Lunar Mate will be drawn to you.

>>46630154

That's not going to happen. The thing about being a Solar is that you don't get to do that kind of bunker mentality. Shit just happens and keeps pushing you into adventure.
>>
>>46630280

So he is going to run into Lunars doing the same thing then? Because they are going to find out quickly if the local Wyld courts they are either warring with or using as patsies suddenly explode.
>>
>>46630395
>No he picks people who will be big damn heroes. Running to the edge of the world and not doing anything is not being a big damn hero. Usually those people are cowards and not deserving a Solar Exaltation.
Why would a coward go to the edge of the world? Things are dangerous as fuck there. A Dawn who spends his time on the borders of the Creation fighting the monstrosities that come from the Wyld is hardly a coward.
>>
>>46630379

So the Time of Tumult is not happening?

Alright guys you heard him call off the Apocalypse the Solars were not as big of a deal as we thought.
>>
>>46630452
Oh sure it's happening. But you're attributing way too much of it to Solars. They might be the straw that breakes the camel's back but that camel is long past his prmie.
>>
>>46630395
>They are going to come back right away. Its not like Exalts stop Exalting now.
If you think the Unconquered Sun is exalting people 24/7 and there's always someone worthy.
>>46630395
>Of all the canon Exalted how many are not with another Solar or are in a population center who knows who the Bull of the North is? I know you can say that it is due to the chances your party will run into them that they were put there but they are there to serve examples. Sure you can have that one Exalt out in the middle of nowhere defeating a mountain god threatening a little village but most are going to be in cities or in circles.
Of all the canon cities, how many are satrapies? Not as many as there apparently are. I wouldn't take the examples so seriously. In Ex3 we don't even know if the Bull of the North is a Solar.
>No he picks people who will be big damn heroes. Running to the edge of the world and not doing anything is not being a big damn hero. Usually those people are cowards and not deserving a Solar Exaltation.
You sound like you're using the wrong definition of heroic for this game. There's nothing cowardly about uniting the hundred kingdoms or wandering into the Wyld where you can battle for eternity.
>>46630403
>Because of safety in numbers. And because you begin to remember your old life. You're drawn to each other, the same way your Lunar Mate will be drawn to you.
Never stated anywhere.
>That's not going to happen. The thing about being a Solar is that you don't get to do that kind of bunker mentality. Shit just happens and keeps pushing you into adventure.
Never stated anywhere. Essence fever makes you want to do shit, but it doesn't drive you towards the centre of creation. You're certainly allowed to say 'fuck humanity, I'm going to do my own thing'. You can leave creation entirely and become a king in Malfeas or the Underworld.
>>
>>46630429
There are a few hundred Lunars, and not all of them, probably not even most of them, not necessarily even all that significant minority of them, are at the very edges of the world. If you walk to the edge of the world you're more likely to find an area without real Lunar presence than one with Lunars around. Exalted are few, the world is vast, and while most Solars probably are going to end up running into other Exalted, it's easy to come up with reasonable Solar characters who probably won't, not for a long time.
>>
>>46630395
>Of all the canon Exalted how many are not with another Solar or are in a population center who knows who the Bull of the North is? I know you can say that it is due to the chances your party will run into them that they were put there but they are there to serve examples. Sure you can have that one Exalt out in the middle of nowhere defeating a mountain god threatening a little village but most are going to be in cities or in circles.

Of all the canon anythings how many are not badass, exceptional, or elites compared to the rest?

The "canon guys" are the well known guys who drive the plot forward. They are not representative of what the actual "average anything" in the setting does.
>>
>>46630395
>No he picks people who will be big damn heroes.

Objection. Conjecture. Assumes facts not in evidence.

A "hero" is relative. A person garnering world-side attention by battling obvious bad guys and building a huge god-damned empire is just as much a hero as the guy who spends his entire life meditating on a mountain.

That is just how this setting works. That's the inspiration it draws from. That's the theme it establishes. That is it's rule.
>>
>>46630507
And someone like a tribal warrior from the edges of Creation who Exalts and decided that waging a one man's war on the Fair Folk who have been invincible boogiemen to his tribe for so long is definitely a hero in the exact same way as someone who battles obvious bad guys in more populated regions of the Creation.
>>
>>46630473

The Solars are really the only thing that can stop the end of the world. It is clearly said in the 3e core book. They are also partially responsible for it ending.

>If you think the Unconquered Sun is exalting people 24/7 and there's always someone worthy.

Because of the shape of the world the amount of heroes running around is higher then probably since the Primordial War.

>In Ex3 we don't even know if the Bull of the North is a Solar.

Really? REALLY?

>There's nothing cowardly about uniting the hundred kingdoms

I never said it was not. In fact uniting the Hundred Kingdoms is one of the best things you can do. But you are not exactly isolated there. They are still part of the confederation of rivers.

>wandering into the Wyld where you can battle for eternity

I withdraw that. For some reason I was thinking of hiding at the edge of the world in real world terms. Like hiding on a deserted island not really the Fair Folk until much later.

>>46630490

Pretty hard to wage an unceasing war against the Fair Folk if they are not aware of them. And the Lunars should be aware of the major Fair Folk courts. A Solar who runs out there is going to fight those courts and the Lunars are going to hear about it. They were joking called Wyld Exalted for a while for a reason.
>>
File: Stars Mind blown.gif (4 MB, 315x210) Image search: [Google]
Stars Mind blown.gif
4 MB, 315x210
>>46630484

>In Ex3 we don't even know if the Bull of the North is a Solar.

>A change has come across the Icewalkers in recent years.
Formerly adversarial tribes have banded together under a
Solar warlord known only as the Bull of the North. The
Bull’s forces have captured several cities on the White Sea
coast with military precision.
>>
>>46630615
Ah, my bad.
>>
>>46630603
>The Solars are really the only thing that can stop the end of the world. It is clearly said in the 3e core book. They are also partially responsible for it ending.
No, anon, it is not clearly said in the 3E book. What is said is that "This is the world into which the Solar Exalted have returned—but will they save the world, or
will they destroy it?" Aside from not being an explicit statement on only Solars being able to stop the end of the world, it doesn't even imply that. It just means that the Solars can contribute to either the world's salvation or its destruction. That Solars matter, and that they matter on the largest scale, in other words.
>>
>>46630505

>Of all the canon anythings how many are not badass, exceptional, or elites compared to the rest?

Every Exalt is a badass, exceptional, and elite. Its impossible to be an Exalt and not. That is the point. Yeah we may joke the Dragonblooded are rabble but each one is a John McClane in their own way.
>>
>>46630621
In anon's defense, before the backer pdf (I think, maybe this was already in the leak), we didn't know that and there was a lot of voices saying that it would have been cool to keep the exact nature of the Bull mysterious, the same way the Emmisary is a mysterious figure.

People are quick to accept their head-canon as canon when there is no canon facts to contradict it or they are unaware of it.

And for the record? I am one of those voices and I don't particularily see how making the Bull into an obvious Solar is in any way adventagous.
>>
>>46630669
>Every Exalt is a badass, exceptional, and elite. Its impossible to be an Exalt and not. That is the point.

And that point is not disputed. What is disputed is the assertion that a badass, exceptional, elite has to necessarily draw public attention to themselves. They don't. I remind you that one of the posible ideas of who the Emissary of Nexus is was that he's a centuries old Solar Exalted who survived the Usurpations.

Even when they right in the thick of it Solars can blend in. They don't have to be obvious, flashy and glowing. And they can always avoid the public eye altogether.
>>
>>46630695

What would you replace it with? It fit well because Tepet were staunch immaculates and went all in against the Anathema threat. It showed the power of the Solar Exalted to all Creation. Where five or so Solars could destroy an entire Realm Legion which was one of the most feared things in the setting. It just sets the stage for things to come. If you switch that out for something else it adds another threat to the game but it loses the peril that the Solars bring in the message.
>>
>>46630726

Alright read what you wrote the wrong way. I apologize.

However to counter that if they do hide from the public eye they will do so in places that matter. Like Paragon, like Nexus, like Chiaroscuro, like Great Forks. Eventually a threat will arise that will require action to their home location. And those that were hiding out in the city doing their own projects will have to unite to take it down.
>>
>>46630736
A Lunar would serve just as well. Remember that the Tepet legions were deliberately sabotaged by the Empress in previous editions to keep them in line.
>>
>>46630775

Again it lowers the impact of the Solar Exalted. Its really the first thing that happened since the Usurptation that displayed their abilities to Creation. While a Lunar could work they added in other Lunar threats to keep them somewhat relevant.
>>
>>46630669
>Every Exalt is a badass, exceptional, and elite. Its impossible to be an Exalt and not. That is the point. Yeah we may joke the Dragonblooded are rabble but each one is a John McClane in their own way.

I mean among their peers. Yeah, every Dragonblooded is a badass compared to a mortal, but that doesn't mean every one is a Dynast, or inducted into Dynastic system, or stands in direct opposition to the Dynasts.

There are Solars out there who are in on the conspiracy and forming circles, but not every Solar is. And those Solars who are had to go through hell and high water and fight an entire system designed to hide the truth from them to get where they are.

And there are Solars who do their thing, but aren't a member of a circle or want to associate with the iconic NPCs.

And all of this is much easier to understand when you come at it from the point of view of a person who was a mortal their entire life, believes anything other than a Dragonblood/spirit to be an anathema, and has no real understanding of history in the past century, to say nothing of secret history that occurred thousands of years ago and has been hidden by a supernatural conspiracy.

The idea of a Solar who is unknown to the larger cast and not a member of a circle and has no idea what the hell is going on is a VERY viable concept. These are the guys the Wyld Hunt has been more easily killing for the past few thousand years.
>>
>>46630833

>VERY viable concept.

But I would still assert is a minority.

And I still think that Creation the way it is and the dangers out there you are going to want to get allies. Be they godly, another Exalt type, or your own circle you are going to get allies. If you don't eventually you are going to be killed yourself as while a Dawn will have little trouble with most things there are massively dangerous creatures out there.

I see what you are saying but the danger of Creation is rising all the time now and allies will be needed if you want to survive. It is easiest though if you find someone like yourself and team up with them. Especially if they are a former circle member and you have this supernatural urging to trust them. Finding them is a bit more difficult but as said Solars tend to flock to danger like moths to flames.
>>
>>46630917
>But I would still assert is a minority.
You can assert it, but you can't really back up the assertion.
>>
>>46630939

And from what the books provide you can't yours either.
>>
File: 1384920644808.png (51 KB, 392x469) Image search: [Google]
1384920644808.png
51 KB, 392x469
So what kind of Sorcerous Workings have you/your players done?
>>
>>46629816
Sort of depends on how strong the memories that are attached are. Also, whether you knew your other parent.

It might not be weird. It could simply work out as a "I take up my family sword" sort of situation.
>>
So just out of curiosity I looked up how many canon Solars are known.

I am using 1e numbers so they are not current obviously. But in 1e there were 83 named Solar Exalted. That is over half of all Solar Exalted.
>>
>>46631008

>implying anyone here actually plays and does not just argue on a Mongolian woodcarving board.
>>
>>46617642
Either Resolve and Guile do not need to specify that you add the specialty to the formula, or all the other stuff should, because specialties still apply there too.
>>
File: 1385431148009.png (42 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1385431148009.png
42 KB, 700x500
>>46631127
>not pretending that you've got a game
>>
>>46631181

I just want to pretend I am playing a Infernal game on 4chan at least.
>>
File: Getting in touch with his roots.jpg (151 KB, 970x1517) Image search: [Google]
Getting in touch with his roots.jpg
151 KB, 970x1517
Has anyone actually ran a game where your characters were fine with or even helped the slave trade? Almost every game I hear of they are usually "slavery is bad we must free the peoples!". I never hear of any games where people just accept it as a matter of fact and maybe even take advantage of the situation.

So has anybody had any games where this was not the case?
>>
>>46631431
In a game I ran one PC started a brothel staffed by slaves, while another one sold a bunch of captured enemies into slavery.
>>
>>46631462

Magical Realm style or somewhat serious style? Because I can see the former much easier then the later.
>>
>>46631431
Never had anyone help the slave trade, but nobody really treats slavery as a weird thing. If a slave was being publicly beaten one of us would probably intervene though no matter how normal it is.
>>
>>46631495
It was just business. The character was an Eclipse Caste businessman who arrived to a new city with some capital and wanted to start establishing a new business empire from something. The actual goings-on of the brother remained off screen.
>>
>>46631495
Why? You defeated a bunch of bandits, you sell them not to waste good profit. What's magical realmy about this?
>>
>>46631431
People have this American cotton picker mental image of slavery. There is a tendency to scream "LOL MALE SLAVES ARE WORK OR DIE! WOMAN SLAVES ARE SEX SLAVE".

I've been in games were slaves were common. House slaves and such but seriously there were entire civilizations, on this green earth, were people were better off as slaves. "but freedumb" is a fairly modern cry and there have been periods in history where being the property of a powerful family protected you from starving to death and other unpleasantness.
>>
>>46631431
I never cared about slavery, never will. My characters are one thousand kinds of badass, but the whole point of the setting is that it is unforgiving, and being a mortal kinds of suck. Most of humanity is already enslaved by a bunch small gods or the DBs' Realm, anyway. Most of Creation's mortals are twenty kilometers away from something that could kill it with a thought, and one hundred kilometers away from something that will kill it with a thought at first opportunity. Creation is a really shitty place.

Slavery? Who should care? It's not less or more horrible than the fair folks kidnapping your children.
>>
Post your circle's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4scF1ogXcB4
>>
>>46631931
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEJ8lpCQbyw
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53gjP-TtGE
>>
>>46630695
I'm indifferent to him being a Solar myself, but it seems to me that it's easy to change for personal preference. Him being a Solar or not doesn't change anything else that's established.

If, for instance, the Sun King Seneschals of the Silver Pact were particularly active in the North because of him, trying to build a beachhead for a new Solar Empire, then that would tie him being a Solar more closely to the rest of the setting. As is, you can pretty much just change the word Solar for "Lunar" or "mysterious" and you've got the same character in the same setting.
>>
>>46632036
Mages?
>>
>>46631597
>People have this American cotton picker mental image of slavery.
Blame decadesand decades of overblown jewish propaganda and obscene historical revisionism.

>there were entire civilizations, on this green earth, were people were better off as slaves. "but freedumb" is a fairly modern cry and there have been periods in history where being the property of a powerful family protected you from starving to death and other unpleasantness.
What if I told you, most Africans would prefer Colonialism to come back?
>>
>>46632541
I'd tell you to keep /pol/ in /pol/.
>>
File: 1452462371686.jpg (534 KB, 875x1307) Image search: [Google]
1452462371686.jpg
534 KB, 875x1307
>>46632541
>>
>>46632605
Who's that, Holocaust-chan?
>>
>>46632825

Exigent of the god of the holocaust?
>>
>>46632847
Does God of Holocaust even need an Exigent? I don't think there's shortage of people doing his work in Creation.
>>
>>46632541
>most Africans would prefer Colonialism to come back?

Uhhh BULL-SHIT.

Just google "Belgian Congo under King Leopold." That is the only rebuttal necessary.

Also fuck off.
>>
File: 1446698386468.png (446 KB, 1040x540) Image search: [Google]
1446698386468.png
446 KB, 1040x540
>>46632947

Not the same guy but that is an extreme case and you know it. Mind you that guy is probably full of shit but still using Congo as an example is the other extreme.
>>
>>46632947
>>46633009
Can we just talk about Exalted? How about telling us how your character exalted rather than responding to bait.
>>
>>46633166
He was the Tri-Khan's spymaster. Got betrayed, Exalted as he fought off the ambush, is currently laying low while trying to find out just how far the treachery goes.
>>
>>46633166
... While being freed from slavery (I am so sorry).
>>
>>46633384

Did they then enslave people so they get some of that good life?
>>
>>46633315
That's pretty cool.
>>46633384
Did they do anything themselves or was freedom just handed to them? Why did the Unconquered Sun bestow the Exaltation?
>>46633401
Why enslave people when you can make your own Elemental slaves?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.