[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dice Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 11
File: d20.jpg (145 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
d20.jpg
145 KB, 970x545
What are your favorite dice?

Why does everyone have such a hard-on for chessex?

Are you autistic enough to care about the quality of GameScience?

Why shouldn't I just hand-whiddle my own wooden dice?

Have you ever bought a giant tub/jar/gallon/tub of random dice? How did that work out?

How many d20s can you fit in your mouth?
>>
File: tumblr_nud9d8Je4q1u7coulo1_500.jpg (85 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nud9d8Je4q1u7coulo1_500.jpg
85 KB, 500x500
>>46604329
im the coolest guy at the table
>>
>What are your favorite dice?
The ones that are rolling high. I know it's stupid superstitious but the second time a d20 rolls badly I swap to the next one in the bag. I usually have at least 3.
>Why does everyone have such a hard-on for chessex?
They're cheap-ish and come in lots of pretty colours/colour combos.
>Are you autistic enough to care about the quality of GameScience?
Nope.
>Why shouldn't I just hand-whiddle my own wooden dice?
I don't know, why haven't you? Staining and sanding might be a bit of a pain, but if you use a suitable hard wood it would work well. Oh and of course if the DM at your table is cool with the bespoke nature of your dice.
>Have you ever bought a giant tub/jar/gallon/tub of random dice? How did that work out?
Nope, not yet. I can never justify it to myself.
>How many d20s can you fit in your mouth?
I don't know, but please please please don't try it. They seem like a wicked bad choking hazard, and we all know the average person browsing this board is probably sitting alone with no one to administer the Heimlich.
>>
>>46604329
>chessex

I'm a sucker for clear dice, and chessex doesn't color the numbers on their clear dice to contrast well.

kaplow dice all the way.
>>
>>46604625
>the second time a d20 rolls badly I swap to the next one in the bag. I usually have at least 3

The part of this that annoys me isn't the superstition, but the fact that if you were right, and this is how you "game" the system, it wouldn't work because you're going to run out and have to bring your shitty unlucky dice back out, it makes no sense
>>
>>46604787
for clarification on what I mean by rolling badly, it's when it's less than a 6.
Oh, shit, and I forgot to include the part where I say "in a row."

As I said, it's stupidly superstitious, but it doesn't disrupt the table when I do it so whatever. It makes me feel better and soothes any built up frustration that comes with low rolls. If I didn't do it I would probably be autistic enough to start acting shitty over bad rolls.
>>
File: 81PN5s9hH0L._SL1500_.jpg (207 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
81PN5s9hH0L._SL1500_.jpg
207 KB, 1500x1500
Where do you guys keep your dice? In a bag? Box? Skull of your defeated enemy?

Pic related, my dicesak
>>
File: 20160411_164217[1].jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160411_164217[1].jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
>>46605486
I found this while i was working at a Vinnies, a little jewelry box. I think its nice and it only cost me $3 Dollariedoos
>>
>>46604470
Wouldn't those be extraordinarily unbalanced?
>>
>>46605837
Depends on how balanced the bullet is.
>>
>>46604329

Because they make pretty dice.

Blue Borealis, by Chessex. I'd Post a picture, but the only good picture I have does not have the dice at their focal point, and thus would take from the thread.

so instead, http://www.chessex.com/Dice/Borealis%20Dice/27026.htm
>>
>>46605486
I keep them in small old porcelain bowl on bookshelf next to my tabletop game collection. There is also another similar bowl for counters.
>>
File: A1sM4BoiPqL._SL1500_.jpg (505 KB, 1500x1357) Image search: [Google]
A1sM4BoiPqL._SL1500_.jpg
505 KB, 1500x1357
>>46605486
I was given a bottle of pic related when I turned 21.
I've still never drunk any of it, I just use the sack it came with to hold my dice.
>>
File: d20 stats for 2k rolls.png (41 KB, 978x546) Image search: [Google]
d20 stats for 2k rolls.png
41 KB, 978x546
>>46604329
I really like the look of some of Chessex's speckled dice, which don't seem to get much love these days. They comprise the majority of my dice collection. Unfortunately, the roll test I did with one of my speckled d20s suggested that it was very unbalanced. Float tests I did with a bunch of my Chessex d20s indicated that the vast majority of them were unbalanced (though the die I did the roll test on seemed to be one of the worst).

I've never been overly concerned with the idea of dice being a bit unbalanced, but when one rolls barely half as many 20s as it should, it's a real problem. Now? I don't know. I have a rather prodigious collection of dice, most of which are now suspect. I may end up going the Gamescience route but wish the selection was a bit bigger.
>>
File: hobbit-gimli[1].jpg (131 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
hobbit-gimli[1].jpg
131 KB, 300x300
>>46606558
>>I've still never drunk any of it
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 236x314) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 236x314
>>46605486
Skull of my enemy.
>>
>>46604329
Some translucent pink chessex dice. The rest of my dice are just plain black/white ones, so it's not much competition.

I didn't know anyone did. The only reason some of mine are chessex is because they were the nicest looking ones at mlgs.

Kind of. I like the idea of them, but I can't justify buying new dice when my current ones aren't necessarily bad at all.

Too much effort? Probably wouldn't end up very nice looking? Might be very "unbalanced"?

>Have you ever bought a giant tub/jar/gallon/tub of random dice? How did that work out?
No, but I intend to. A friend of mine did it and most of them are pretty good (plus just having a variety of them is nice). The worst one he has is an un-inked d12, the rest are pretty standard.

I don't know but I could probably fit 20 D's.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (284 KB, 1163x1600) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
284 KB, 1163x1600
>>46606558
I did the same thing with pic related. I also didn't drink any of it...

...I used it to make marshmallows.
>>
>>46605613
That box is legit bitchin, if a little edgy.
>>
>>46604329
Bulk random dice are generally made from leftover plastic, or are test runs, or are mistakes. You can get color/combinations that otherwise don't exist anywhere else. Unfortunately that also means you'll never get a full set of whatever weird cool thing. My all-time favorite die is a 10mm d6 that's half sparkly purple and half sparkly green with gold pips and it came in such a tub.
>>
What dice superstitions or rituals do you or the people you play with have?
>>
File: GS Dice.png (3 MB, 1472x932) Image search: [Google]
GS Dice.png
3 MB, 1472x932
>>46604329
Gamescience.

I don't think they do. Its just that they're the most convenient dice available. By 10 sets of dice at complete random, and I guarantee at least 8 of them will be Chessex made.

Actually, yes! See picture.

Same reason I'm autistic about dice and why you also should never by gemstone dice. Hand carving them is almost guaranteed to give you uneven edges and imperfect shape, meaning your dice will noticeably favor one side over another.

I actually have a little jar of 500 mini-dice. It worked out pretty okay as having a dice pot for people who forget their dice.

I don't want to get the taste of crayon in my mouth, so I'll pass on figuring it out for real. But probably about 20.
>>
File: jontron in the year 2100.jpg (139 KB, 747x418) Image search: [Google]
jontron in the year 2100.jpg
139 KB, 747x418
>>46604329
Custom precision-milled. Amber is my favorite, but wood or metal are also acceptable.
Because they are mass-produced, uniform and easily available.
No.
You should, it's a superior experience to shitty plastic dice.
It was okay. I wouldn't recommend it, though, because most of the offers are plastic dice.
Depends, why?
>>
>>46609985
I've never used a GS die, are the edges sharp? The edges on those make me think they wouldn't be able to 'roll' around with other dice in your hand.
>>
I actually have a box from Elderwood Academy, they ran those kickstarters for the spellbook dice boxes and stuff.
http://www.elderwoodacademy.com
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.