[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40k for poorfags
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: Warhammer 40k.jpg (583 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Warhammer 40k.jpg
583 KB, 1920x1080
Can some fa/tg/uys help me out with this? I just bought the basic Warhammer 40k (6th Edition) and the Codex's for the Tau and Space Marines from a local Half-Price Books. I have nothing other than that. I am a poorfag, and am wondering what the best things to do are, I really want to invest in a Tau or Marine army, but have no idea as to where to pick up paints/miniatures on the cheap-side. I have an idea to use my old Heroscape stuff for maps, but I doubt it will work in the long run.

TL;DR: I want to know how to get 40k Tau/Marine stuff on the cheap, and scenery as well.
>>
>>46573196
Check out puppets war, wargame exclusive and prodos games
>>
>>46573524
Hmm I think I'll play a Space Warriors Army from Prodos Games
>>
>>46573524
Pardon me Wargame Exclusive
>>
There's this thing called recasting...
>>
File: 1000pts.jpg (529 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1000pts.jpg
529 KB, 1080x1080
>>46573196
>I want to know how

Ask your friends. If you have no friends, you're wasting all our time. 40k can be played with green army men and dime store dinosaurs if your group wants to try the system, but if you have no group ...
>>
>>46573196
http://www.papercraftsquare.com/topics/warhammer-40k-free-paper-models-collection-topic
If that's too involved, find some basic 2d printouts , folded to stand upright.
>>
If you don't mind ebay, you can search for people offloading starter models. There are a lot of decent-looking space marines, terminators, dreadnoughts, and bikes that you should be able to grab at a discount.

If you have a local hobby store, they might have events where people bring in old models to sell; you can generally pick up some good deals there. Other players might also have old models they aren't using and are willing to sell at a decent price.

Neither of these will be as cheap as the alternatives already mentioned though, and it's not really worth it if you don't have friends or a gaming store for games. If you're looking to try the system first, proxy with some coins or standees and run through some practice games with some buddies.
>>
>>46573196
Warmachine models are cheep. An ork army can be had for ~100$ now, if you buy their orx marauders. The big starter set has lootas, boyz, and PK nobz.
>>
>>46573196
You can get the rules for free from the 40k general's megauploader. The start collecting boxes are incredibly good for their price
>>
Google for paper proxies
>>
Tabletop simulator is by far the cheapest way to play 40k, it's what's finally let me play sisters
>>
>>46573196
>just bought 6th edition
>current edition is 7th edition
You're gonna have to spend a bit more money, senpai.

You want *cheap*? Do this:
$45 troops #1
$45 troops #2
$85 snowflake unit
$60 HQ
$35 some bullshit support unit

That's under $300.

Or, you could just buy three Knight Gallants for $300 and run them in a 990-point Gallant Lance.
>>
>>46573196

Just pirate all the books and use your local shop's paints to paint your models and save up money slowly to buy your army cheaply and used or at discount prices.

If you can't save up $20-50 a month just kill yourself. Like, seriously. You don't need an army in a day and 3-6 months is a reasonable time frame for even the destitute to save up to start this "expensive" hobby.

If you want "ME ME ME NOW NOW NOW" instant gratification because you're some cock sucking millennial, then pony up the money. If you don't have $300 on you right now, that's fine. Just save up money like I said. Learn to earn your shit, you dumb poorfags. Maybe then you wouldn't be so poor.
>>
Just take your time. I've literally been painting my first infantry squad for 2 or so months now and I'm completely happy with the $60 purchase because it's given me a load of time return and enjoyment. Treat every model like a fresh canvas.
>>
>>46577236
This.
>>
Are you aware that there are other Wargames? Do you specifically want to play 40k? If so, are you aware of Epic: Armageddon?

Just doublechecking.
>>
1. Download codex.
2. E-bay or similar shit.
3. Proxy and peaper models.
4. Play with unpainted models.
>>
>>46573196
>be poor
>spend money on expensive rulebooks which are out of date
Eh, I guess it's fun to read / look at the pretty pictures anyway.
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 414x446) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 414x446
>Being poor
>>
>>46577236
But why? Green Army Men have better rules than 40K, so why play it if you don't have marines?
>>
If you want to use 40k models, look around for Chinese recasters or cheap eBay lots.

If you want to use 40k rules, I... just don't. Really, they're pretty shit. Look up the netepic rules for epic40k and just do that but with 28mm scale.

Also, if you have friends you're fine. If you don't, go to your local GW or game store and pick up a start collecting box for $85. That'll give you something to play with at the shop and make new friends so you can hang out and use your recasted shit.
>>
Buy cheap age of sigmar models on ebay, convert them into grey knights and run a kaldors shiny dozen army
>>
>>46573196
Play it on Tabletop Simulator if you can't get a group of friends together
>>
File: GWRep.png (199 KB, 680x499) Image search: [Google]
GWRep.png
199 KB, 680x499
1.) Read lore on Lexicanum

2.) Torrent books on kickass

3.) Buy models off Ebay

4.) Torrent models off kickass

5.) Buy supplies from non-GW stores

5 steps to the poorfag hobby of 40k
>>
>>46591264
torrent rules off kickass*
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.