[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EvE Online thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: EVE_online_logo.svg.png (25 KB, 2000x798) Image search: [Google]
EVE_online_logo.svg.png
25 KB, 2000x798
So what do you think of EvE online from a /tg/ perspective?

Sometimes, the player driven aspect seems very much like a lot of tabletops.
>>
>>46559681
Dunno, but thanks to a friends fuckup on ordering i got that eve anniversary box complete with the eve boardgame gathering dust someone cause no one ever wants to play it.
>>
I like reading about it more than playing it. Actually playing it sounds like a second fucking job. That you pay for. You can't even claim to do it for free, you in fact have to pay to do it.
>>
>>46559734
Yeah I agree.
Fun to read
Not to play
Go figure
>>
>>46559734

I used to work for corps the last time I played, yeah, it can be too much.

But there are play-styles that are actually very fun. For example, being mercenaries for some corps can be very interesting.

The fee aspect has some advantages. For example, the player base tends to be a bit more mature.
>>
>>46559756
Yeah i get that it can be a lot of fun, but it is also a huge investment of fucks to give. Money isn't a problem, it is time and fucks.

Compared to investing a bunch of effort into learning how to play, then collaborating with others, synching schedules, etc etc, it's just a better payoff to read about the happenings on lunch break.
>>
>>46559756
This. Depending on how committed you want to be you can actually make some dosh on it through plex and ingame contracts. That friend who fucked up i mentioned earlier essentially plays for free and earns bar money and he legitimately seems to enjoy playing for 6-8 hours behind his $900 realistic flight controls which the game also paid for. Last i asked he's working his way up for a vr headset. All through EVE.
I personally burned out on the damn skillwall that seems to go from 0-120 then plateaus hard and i didn't feel like doing actual research on shit like optimizing between drones, rockets, cannons, lasers, and all the fucking different ammos and optimal distances versus the 80 different ships that i'm supposed to know by heart prior to actual gameplay.
>>
>>46559792

Time isn't that much a problem for me. Though I do play with people I also communicate with people outside.

Plus, skills are time-based, not experience.

That is an aspect that is similar to tabletops. It takes a certain amount of effort to come together and play.
>>
>>46559681
anyone have link to get me up to date with how the war is going ?
>>
>>46559831
Literally reddit's /r/eve is the best source, unless you are a goon. Last i heard goons were losing, but they are banking on drawing the conflict out for a long time in hopes of denying mbc anything fun to do. Mbc has been torching most systems they've captured, only holding on to stratrgic locations. Anyone retaking the sectors will need to re-invest in infrastructure.
>>
>>46559813
/vg/ has a good general thread for Eve Online and we have a wormhole corp going.

If you want to start playing, you can start a trial and get extra game time by getting a friend invite.
If you post a mail here, I can send you an invite and we can split the reward if you decide to upgrade to a subscribed account.

You don't have to actually join my group to get the the invite benefits.
>>
>>46559848
Just checked reddit, and apparently goons got wrapped up in a battle and lost 50bn of assets while destroying only 8bn. And there is a korean corp that is likely to defect from the imperium as well since their leader has been leaking high-level chatlogs.
>>
Played eve on and off for seven years
Played dust for 3 years (aka until it died).

Eve players are condescending faggots, I have heard almost every contrived 'i'm better than you because [reason]' argument around, up to and including from CSM members. They're trying incredibly hard to kill the game by making sure no one else is allowed to play in their sandbox or have nice things.

I enjoyed dust, but it fell prey to classic CCP syndrome; where things are broken upon release and never fixed, and by the time they get around to fixing them they just say "aww fuck it" and throw everything out the window to try and start over from scratch.

If you want to do dust tabletop, dark heresy or FFG stuff dealing with space marines would work, but immortal clone soldiers are fairly close to space marines in power - space-metal bones, redundant organs, self repair systems, enhanced muscles etc - the biggest difference is in the implant that transfers conciousness and physical strength. In dust clones players use have about 10 hp, a normal person might have between two to five. scout suits can punch for 120 damage before enhancements, commandos for 240. ignoring space and distance a commando can kill 48 to 120 regular people with one punch. Dropsuit armor also provides a more stable frame for doing shit like carrying around heavy weapons and copious durability (i've seen caldari sentinels shrug off direct hits from anti-tank weaponry) as well as enhanced reflexes and aim, most have internal powerplants used to power shields and weapons as well as nanite factories. It can be hard to deal with immortals, but it's possible to limit their technical immortality by forcing them to respawn at the cloning facilities on their own warbarges (basically mobile oppression palaces of around 6.5million m3 in size) they carry the cloning facilities, vehicle factories, armories, smaller ships like mobile command centers, around 5000 soldiers and biomass an ICS needs for proper conquering).
>>
>>46559906
For eve tabletop, just use rogue trader.

It's worth noting though that the amounts paid for dust dropsuits and vehicles can be greater than even some eve frigates.

I've had a chance to talk with some of the lore people, and they've gone 'currency values are abstractions' and said outright that dust clones and eve clones make fairly equivalent amounts of isk. Gotten into some arguments with people who try to use 'well I run incursions and make 1/4b isk / hour! you dust players couldn't ever earn as much as me because the game doesn't allow you to exploit things in the same way - never mind that people who did isk transfer services valued dust isk at about 10-15x as much as eve isk, we'll just pretend that doesn't happen!
>>
>>46559906

If they started Dust in very simple way, and integrated it directly into EvE, it would have been a lot more interesting.

Like for example, if they only did space station combat, they could give us a more solid game.

Maybe integrate into EvE by allowing dust players infiltrate EvE station to disable some stuff.
>>
Glorified p2w spreadsheet, not a "game". It's all political shits and real life threats. Some organisations ask for bank account payment etc in order to go in + shit loads of ID card photo and stuffs to be sure you don't spy on them.
All this for a game slowed 20 times during battle so server can handle it. No thanks.
>>
>>46560022
Not sure if you're talking about tabletop or actual games here.

From a lore perspective, dust had better clones for a long time; the new implant wasn't compatible with eve clones. A dust clone could 'die' (ie be rendered non-functional and then self terminate) like 20+ times in a battle, and that would strain the infomorph processing of an old implant and an eve clone.

From a not tabletop perspective: CCP iceland has fucking issues, they really didn't want to integrate dust with eve due to low product confidence (which is ultimately what killed dust anyways), and fear of eve playerbase going nuclear again. This is like the seventh time they've killed dust now or otherwise decided to start from scratch. Shit world of darkness MMO hit alpha *three seperate times* before being cancelled completely, all due to management disputes and not having a clue what to do with their properties.
>>
>>46560080

CCP is one of those companies that like what they do, and tend to do good things, but lack professionalism. Which is weird considering some of their players.

Another example is Bethesda.
>>
Played it for a couple months; at the end I was unconvinced that it was fun enough to merit the price tag.

And fuck if I'm going to turn it into a second job so I can keep myself alive with PLEX, that's some twisted shit.
>>
>>46559702
The board game is a lot of fun.
>>
It's a good game, but it's really the community you surround yourself with that makes the game worthwhile or not. I really feel bad for the newbies who just go through the tutorial and get told about 4 or 5 ways to make dosh that are all insanely boring or require a large time/skill investment to make a worthwhile amount of money. On the other hand if you're on SA, Reddit, Penny Arcade's forums, or 4chan you can join your respective corp (GEWNS, BORT, MRCHI, whichever 4chan corp that hasn't failed recently maybe SHURK?).

I stopped playing a few years back after being an FC in TEST and getting really disillusioned with large fleet PvP. I really enjoyed leading roams and organizing home defense, but big fights just boil down to "Who has the biggest supercapital fleet?". By the way the answer to that, and the reason the Alliance is winning, is PL and their bloc. I can do amazing things with an HAC fleet, but if the enemy decides to drop their entire supercapital fleet onto the objective I either need to bugger off or ask MilDir to drop our supercapitals.
>>
File: 2124251d12c31qd.png (88 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
2124251d12c31qd.png
88 KB, 1600x1600
>>46560411
Move into wormholes and kspace blobfaggotry suddenly stops being a problem.

>whichever 4chan corp that hasn't failed recently maybe SHURK?).
All-Out
>>
>>46560427
I did for a while actually. I left my FC alt outside and moved a character with perfect missile and shield skills into this nice C2 with a C3 static with a couple other TESTies. RR Tengu fleets printed money, and we often took Drakes, Cerberus, and Caracals out on roams into holes that opened up. It was great.
>>
>>46559848
Horde is full of leaky holes so I'm going to post my view on the current situation with no regrets.

So it seems all the outlying alliances that were part of Goons have folded without a fight. They've literally toppled over with barely any resistance.

As for the Goons themselves, they're definitely hunkering down in Fortress Deklein. Even now, their ships are still flying around shooting NPCs for cash. Given they're doing that and not evaccing assets, its probably safe to assume the worst/awesome is yet to come.
>>
Honestly the 'Oh no, so-and-so faction lost x billion ISK of ships' isn't really the important part in the economic battle. I want to know how many high rarity moons the Imperium is losing, that's where the real bleeding occurs in these big wars.
>>
>>46559756
>For example, the player base tends to be a bit more mature.

This is a game where fucking up someone's day and/or bankrupting them and undoing dozens to hundreds of hours of work is practically encouraged. "Mature" isn't the word I'd use. It's just a much more intelligent brand of immaturity.
>>
Fuck the faction vs faction garbage, that sweet CCP vs players drama is where it's at. Anything hilarious happen recently?
>>46560411
Well then obviously you should have multiple HAC fleets hitting multiple targets.
>>
Reminder that someone made just over two hours of really fucking good machinima based in EVE.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL66220627EE518EE5
>>
>>46560520
Mittens made some speeches that show how hilariously out of touch with the game he is.
It was pretty funny, really.
>>
>Be Pirate
>Get drunk on teamspeak and go on raids with people
>Gank someones Tengu
>Starts crying about it in chat
>Proceed to gank 2 Tornadoes
>Everyone cries
>We all laugh

Yar
>>
>>46560573
Hop in my ship
and let er rip!
Out on the Cosmic Sea!
I gun them down
and there they'll drown!
A Pirate's life for me!
Come be a Hand
you don't need land!
A Pirate's life, you'lll see!
Wheres my Rum?
Its in my tum!
Us drunken Pirates, we!
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.