[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for help here. I'm designing an rpg where characters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: Emotion-Chart.png (192 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
Emotion-Chart.png
192 KB, 630x630
Looking for help here.
I'm designing an rpg where characters choose one of eight basic elements of human emotion. Their choice determines what their character will specialize in.
So far I have
Trust - buffing
Fear - defensive
Surprise - stealth
Disgust - debuffing
Anger - offensive
Anticipation - detection

I'm at a loss as to what Joy and Sadness should specialize in that hasn't already been covered by another element. They should be opposites of one another, like the other elements. Any ideas?
>>
>>46559047
The basics of CQC.
>>
>>46559047
>Fear - defensive
>Anticipation - detection
I'd switch those two around.
Joy is increased XP rewards and Sadness is Healing.
>>
>>46559047
Hang on.

Where are Toplels on this chart?

I don't see epic ironyes, toplels, funposting:^), or other senses of positive feeling that come from NOT bending to the whims of no fun allowed poopypantses that want to ban fun, and being a glorious rebellious crusader being ALL FUN into the world, not just "good right fun only, no shitposting 'cause that's bad wrong fun and I'm a nazi tyrant and what I say isn't fun objectively isn't fun"

Like pride mixed with laughter mixed with joy and the desire to put the world in a correct order where everyone can be safe to enjoy their lelles.
>>
>>46559442
>>46559047
Anyway, Toplels should be spells that are split into 2 sub-schools.

The first lets you skip boring stuff (like roleplaying, immersion, and story) and get right to the fun stuff.
Maybe add in some meta where if your character casts some toplel, you as a player can tell the other players or the GM that No, YOU will be having YOUR fun today and the rules will NOT change to stop you.

And BMing, where the spells aren't really effective, but they're really funny with what they do, totally trolling your opponents (or maybe even trolling your allies, but do this sparingly since your allies can be real salt golems).
Maybe add in some meta stuff where BMing spells require you to open up the rulebook and re-read a whoel bunch of obscure sections and bring up a whole bunch of stuff where interpretation matters (and everyone at the table will have a different interpretation) so your session is derailed by figuring out what the BM spell does.
>>
>>46559047
>I'm at a loss as to what Joy and Sadness should specialize in that hasn't already been covered by another element.

Oh that's easy, those make the Plot work more on the caster's side, or make the Plot work against the caster's enemies.

Happiness makes it so you are the star of the story, you have plot armor, the DM fudges the rules in your favor, "rule of cool" applies to you, and all the Tropes you find in pulpy beer n pretzels games are gonna pop up.

Sadness makes it so whoever you hit with it is just a nameless background NPC, it's not important if they die, the rules are the rules and they DON'T get a special pass, "muh story" takes a backseat to letting the dice write their own story, and the Tropes in those really gritty simulation games with tons of drama like to pop up.
>>
>>46559493
>mfw minmaxers no longer work to be the best at combat, if they can sacrifice a bit of combat power for some "skip story and gimme combat" then they'll get more chances to shine and end up more accomplished than someone who is better at combat, but doesn't get combat as often
>>
>>46559047
Creation and Destruction.
Though, those actually sound better for Trust/Disgust, while buff/debuff work better for joy and sadness.
You spread joy or sadness, build trust and tear things downin disgust.
>>
>>46559774

Thanks, that actually makes more sense.
>>
>>46559816
Yo how come I don't get a thanks? I'm half the posts in this thread famalam.
>>
File: 200586.gif (282 KB, 460x259) Image search: [Google]
200586.gif
282 KB, 460x259
>>46559546
>Oh that's easy, those make the Plot work more on the caster's side, or make the Plot work against the caster's enemies.

So, Tit-magic?
>>
>>46559864
That is ... not what I meant.

I meant stuff like plot armor or "narrative causality" or fudging the rules for the sake of rule of cool / the story.

I'd think that Titmagic would be part of either creation or buffing magic.
>>
>>46559826
Because they're all shit
>>
>>46559047
That is literally the star of Chaos.

Rage + Loathing = Khorne
Vigilance + Ecstasy = Slaanesh
Admiration + Terror = Nurgle
Grief + Amazement = Tzeentch
>>
>>46559883
Well fuck you imma thank myself.

>>46559493
>>46559546
>>46559826
>>46559875
Thanks bro.
>>
>>46559047
That chart pisses me off because they're not in the Green Lantern colors.
>>
>>46559891
I would actually say that each Chaos god represents opposite pairs, rather than adjacent ones.

Rage+Terror=Khorne
Amazement+Vigilance=Tzeentch
Ecstasy+Grief=Slaanesh
Admiration+Loathing=Nurgle
>>
>>46559047
Joy heals and Sadness harms.
>>
>>46564342
>>46559106 speaking. I'd like to explain my position why I think sadness should be healing (not joy).
The healing process is always accompanied with suffering. It's even cultural. Good medicine "must" be bitter (they say that's how you know it's working). To feel pain from healing also introduces an emotional balance: Exchange physical injury for an emotional one. Sadness can also represent the regret at (a friend) having suffered the injury and the desire to undo it.
In contrast, joy can make you able to ignore the injury (which could be another powerful ability), but it is more about using muscles (putting stress on them) than about relaxing them and giving them time to recover.
>>
So are they required to focus on that emotion and induce an experience with it in order to cast?

Like a "think of your happiest memories for a Patronus" thing, but with all emotions?
>>
File: descarga.jpg (10 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
descarga.jpg
10 KB, 318x159
You try to do something like this?
>>
>>46564050
The Nurgle one makes even more sense when you look at the ones further from the center.
>Trust and Disgust
>Boredom and Acceptance
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.