[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Imagine a fantasy world where magic is literally a liquid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10
File: maxresdefault.jpg (62 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
62 KB, 1920x1080
>Imagine a fantasy world where magic is literally a liquid
>>
>>46557860
Sooo... WoW?
>>
>>46557860
Excuse me as I inject some magic into my veins right now dear OP
>>
Can it be frozen? Can we make Magsicles?
>>
>>46557860
Newtonian or non-Newtonian liquid?
>>
Dragon Age?
>>
>>46557860
Bioshock?
>>
File: Plasmid_Poster.png (304 KB, 768x512) Image search: [Google]
Plasmid_Poster.png
304 KB, 768x512
>>46557860
>>46557941
>>
>>46557860

Imagine a fantasy world where the oceans are made of heroin.

>the only water is in rare lakes and other freshwater sources
>everyone is fucking blazed ALL the time
>constant wars, partially because water is scarce, but also because no one really cares about losing a limb when they can just wig out on some opiates 24/7
>>
File: 1435563863896.jpg (16 KB, 480x477) Image search: [Google]
1435563863896.jpg
16 KB, 480x477
>>46557966
Hacky writing isn't a liquid.
>>
http://imgur.com/gallery/4RoPW

Here's some art for your concept.
>>
>>46557860
Read that as
>Imagine a fantasy world where magic is literally a squid
>>
>>46557995
You should call your sponsor.
>>
>>46557860
That exists in real life, OP.

>You'll never be in a party whose goal is to prevent the Peak Magic Crisis
>>
>>46557860
Bioshock?
>>
Checkmate, OP
>>
File: 20111118-pissworld.png (226 KB, 750x1091) Image search: [Google]
20111118-pissworld.png
226 KB, 750x1091
>>46557860
No, Jeff. We're not playing in your magic pee campaign again.
>>
>>46557860
if it can only exist in liquid form, that shit would be cool. Imagine freezing a spell, and then it's casted when it turns liquid. Deserts are essentially anti magic zones. Spells in cold places need to be done differently, maybe anti wizard attacks will involve freezing, or evaporating it. It could even be done by corrupting where they store the lizard too.
>>
Water is pretty fucking magical when you stop to think about it.
>>
File: mages.jpg (191 KB, 1096x729) Image search: [Google]
mages.jpg
191 KB, 1096x729
>>46557860
>>
File: magical realm elf edition.png (73 KB, 208x250) Image search: [Google]
magical realm elf edition.png
73 KB, 208x250
>>46557860
>magic is literally a liquid
>>
>>46559011
You freeze it and it gets LESS dense, fucking radical.
>>
>>46559210

Also a universal solvent, a great neutron moderator, and highly conductive.

Am I forgetting anything?
>>
>>46559250
Its got what plants crave.
>>
>>46557860
is it white and thick?
>>
>>46557995
You do know that daily opiate usage destroys your reward system which in long term leads to amotivation and thus no one wouldn't want to do anything, much less fight. Everyone would just be high on opiates 24/7 and sleep. Also, technically there is technically a point where you must consume/inject so much heroin to get high that you will die from overdose. It's very high on tolerance level and no one can practically reach it, but it's there.

Of course many people (atleast after becoming addicting) realize that daily use of opiates is kinda bad (because of reward system fuckup I mentioned, also constipation) despite that they kill pain and make you feel good, but this would kinda defeat point of your setting.
>>
>>46559594
Forgot to mention that "damage" done to reward system is of course reverse. Opiates don't cause physical brain or any other damage because they're basically just like endorphins which of course are opioids too.
>>
>>46557860
The phrase "Magic runs through my veins" takes a whole new meaning now
>>
>>46559628
I was already aware of that stuff, but since you seem to know your shit, hypothetical question. If we had a way to synethetically trigger endorphin release on demand, would overuse of it have the exact same issues as opiods? (I'm guessing yes.)
>>
File: itsjizz.jpg (70 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
itsjizz.jpg
70 KB, 960x720
>>46557860
>>
>>46559765
It's perfectly possible to be addicted to your endorphins. In fact we all are addicted to them in some extent and that's what motivates us. People doing extreme sports (normal ones too often), BDSM or binge eating tend to be even more addicted. However the system regulates it self pretty well, so you can't end up abusing your endorphins like opiates even if you go for them hard like exercising madly and flagellating yourself.

I suppose if one had magical endorphin release button that could happen though. Likely it would be still harder than with exogenous opiates because it would be more regulated, but it would associate pleasure with button, so certainly psychological effects would be pretty bad.
>>
>>46559581
underrated post
>>
>>46557860
"Mom, what's for diner?"
"Magic soup, Haddvar!"
"Moooom! I hate magic soup! Can't you make some roast beef?"
"Quiet young man. Eat your magic or your peepee wont glow."
>>
>>46557860
So, Wheel of Time?
>>
>>46557860
Remember to drink your magic kids, or you won't grow up to be a wizard! You don't want to be a fighter now, do you?
>>
>>46559386
No retard, that's Brawndo.

What, you want us to, like, grow crops with the stuff they got in toilets? You're pretty fuckin dumb.
>>
>>46558861
kek't
>>
>>46558013
I don't know, it is pretty fluid
>>
Ther Mistborn series has a similar magic system, people drink metal and shit for magic.
>>
>>46557860
So it's shit?
>>
>>46557860
- Can I bathe in it?
- Can I drink it?
- Can it be used as a power source?
- Do we constantly need it as sustenance?
- Are there elementals made out of it?
- Does it need to be created?
- Does it expire?
- Can it be bottled?
- Can it be sold?
- Can it be purified?
- Can it get corrupted?
- Do fish fuck in it?
- Do bees make magical beehives from it?
- Are there rivers, oceans, puddles?
- At what temperatures/circumstances does it freeze, condensate or vaporize?
- What happens when I mix it with something else?
- Does it rain from the sky?
- How much percent of it can go through my bloodstream without it intoxicating or killing me?
>>
>>46558900
>Implying it would have the exact same properties as water
>>
That's how it works in my setting, but you can't really observe it and it doesn't really affect matter.

It's highly viscous, obeys gravity and thus coalesces around planets and it has tides. If some area has seen much spellcasting it can go dry for a while. It doesn't replenish, so if the inhabitants burn through it they're eventually SOL.

I haven't figured out how to justify people being able to use it as energy yet. Probably some god-given organ mcmuffin that acts like gills or some shit.
>>
>>46557860
>What is Asterix and Obelix?
>>
>>46557860
Well...

There's a drink, in Muh Settan, invented by wizards who literally just wanted to see if it was possible to make it happen.

It is a wine called Arcanus Skye, made from grapes planted in soil originally generated with a Create Earth spell. The seeds were germinated with Life magic, planted with Telekinesis, watered with Create Water, etc. At no point were physical hands used to handle the product - not when picking, not when crushing or filtering, not when pouring into the barrels (made of wood grown in similar manner to the grapes) - every step that could possibly be accomplished by, with or through magic, was done so.

The result is a wine so richly infused with eldritch essence that, as it ages, it begins defying certain laws of nature and even physics. Those without arcane affinity or training find the drink to be difficult to describe, but an enlivening and often electrifying experience that many enjoy repeating. On the other end, mages and other spellcasters are highly cautioned to practice restraint with the drink, and in many places are restricted in how many shots they may be served at a time, due to the empowering effect the wine has on an arcane caster's abilities, directly in proportion to the effect it has on their restraint and judgement.

The students of the Silver Tower have coined a popular saying regarding the drink, given both the popularity and the dangers of it:
>One for the Eye,
>Two for the Mind,
>Three for the Heart,
>Four to Ride the Thunderbolt

As an amusing anecdote, one of my players, who runs as a sorcerer-ish type, once got his hands on a half-case while defending a city during a siege, and decided to use a bottle to boost his casting while on the wall. He ended up barely passing multiple saves for shotgunning half the bottle(!), blew every spell slot casting Empowered Extended Black Tentacles as a 20th-level caster into the enemy ranks, then passed out for the next four days from spell fatigue and arcane burnout.
>>
>>46559250
>highly conductive.
Actually pure water is nonconductive. It's the myriad minerals and other things that dissolve in it so readily that conduct. Salt especially. Dem ions.
>>
>>46559765
Some scientists once wired electrodes to the pleasure centers of rats, then hooked them up to a little button which would give the rat an orgasm when pressed.

The rats happily mashed the button until they died, without pausing for food, water, or rest.
>>
>>46559765
>If we had a way to synethetically trigger endorphin release on demand
Wanking, yes.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.