[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your group and alignments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: i_hate_this_star_trek_tng.gif (5 MB, 305x145) Image search: [Google]
i_hate_this_star_trek_tng.gif
5 MB, 305x145
Everyone and their mom loves to make alignments their verbal punching bag. You can't even say /tg/ is being hipster it's pretty much up there with opinions like "I fucking hate autoplay video ads".

So, despite the hate does your group still use them? Why? If not, how do you handle alignment dependent spells like Summon Monster in 3.5?
>>
We use them in games that have mechanics around them, but that's pretty much it.
>>
>>46549253
>So, despite the hate does your group still use them?
Nope.
>If not, how do you handle alignment dependent spells like Summon Monster in 3.5?
We don't play 3.5
>>
File: Iran.jpg (61 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Iran.jpg
61 KB, 250x250
>>46549253

Alignments are simple references for newbies at first unsure how their chars might react to events IC. e.g. - Babby's First RP Guidelines. Using it for anything else is just an option. A stupid option.
>>
we still use them, mostly because we play a lot of games with alignment systems. but even then we use them to describe characters morality quickly if we have to or think it is funny, since the DnD alignment system is at least decent short hand if you don't care about moral nuances
>>
>>46549253
Only when playing systems where they're a vital component of the rules.
>>
File: 1445882587850.gif (3 MB, 368x270) Image search: [Google]
1445882587850.gif
3 MB, 368x270
>>46549253
We use them. And the ham-fisted Orc paladins use every chance they can to detect and smash even the slightest evil presence.

Which is why my wizard bought a cloak of undetectable alignment.
>>
>>46549253
We don't use them, and I think it's helped improve our roleplaying tremendously. It enables much greater nuance when dealing with character description, personality, and ethical questions.

We play dnd 5e where alignment doesn't have a real impact on the game mechanics.
>>
File: Alignment Chart of tg.jpg (330 KB, 1016x701) Image search: [Google]
Alignment Chart of tg.jpg
330 KB, 1016x701
>>46556972
>We don't use them
>It enables much greater nuance when dealing with character description, personality, and ethical questions.

I think that's the key. All alignments really do, other than start arguments, is make people feel constrained while roleplaying.
>>
My last group used to play to alignments quite well until the inevitable "fuck it, my character is True Neutral/Unaligned/Uninterested in chaos, law, good, or evil" and we packed them in.
Until one of the players decided to go full retard and decide that anyone of non-evil alignment has no reason to adventure.
Every one of his characters after that was a massive edge-lord who would make threats to clearly important PCs, shopkeepers, and other player characters, regardless of system or whether it had alignment or not. More than once he handed me a piece of scrap paper and said "I want to play this character" the paper always read chaotic evil drow Due to other types of fuckery with that group, I left them. The group fell apart without me since I was forever DM.
>>
>>46552785
It's exactly the opposite you noob. You react however you want and alignment is used for magic that concerns universal forces of good-evil etc. such as detect evil or protection from it.
>>
I prefer using a vice/virtue system to alignments
>>
File: 1392566878488.jpg (11 KB, 308x308) Image search: [Google]
1392566878488.jpg
11 KB, 308x308
>>46549253
>So, despite the hate does your group still use them?
No.
>If not, how do you handle alignment dependent spells like Summon Monster in 3.5?
We don't play D&D.
If we do, we treat alignment as connection to setting's gods, so if a character is Pelor's bro, he will generally summon shit like archons.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.