[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, how do I make a Wizard or Sorcerer in 5th edition that harkens
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1413022209849.jpg (554 KB, 1123x749) Image search: [Google]
1413022209849.jpg
554 KB, 1123x749
So, how do I make a Wizard or Sorcerer in 5th edition that harkens back to the muscle wizards of Pathfinder and 3.5? I want to make an NPC encounter for my group that's this old wizard dude who throws off his cloak, is fucking ripped and proceeds to beat the shit out of everything with magic and fists, preferably magic fists.
>>
>>46547122
take a monk, give it wizard or sorcerer spellcasting, et voila
>>
>>46547122
Make him a shadow monk/warlock. He casts darkness as an AoE, can teleport all over the place because he is a shadow monk, and gets no disadvantages because he can see everything with Devil's Sight. He then proceeds to punch the living shit out of everything.
>>
>>46547122
>magic fists
200% Monk.
>>
>>46547122
>I want to make an NPC encounter
As the GM, just hand him a homebrew feat that makes Strength his casting stat.
Maybe give him 2 or 3 levels of monk too?
>>
I was going to suggest transmutation wizard with spells like alter self, enlarge/reduce, and haste, but monk seems to fit the bill.
>>
Not too familiar with 5th Edition, but apparently Strength only matters for monks built for grappling?

>>46547504
It could just as easily be both.
>>
>>46547492

Yeah, I could do that, but my players are whiny bitches who give me endless QQ when something doesn't play 100 % by the rules and I don't feel like listening to their shit.
>>
>>46547688
>when something doesn't play 100 % by the rules

You need to set your foot down and do what you want at some point.
The books are guidelines. /You/ are the rules.

As long as you aren't unfair with it, your players will come around eventually.
>>
>>46547809

I've told them multiple times that what I say, goes. They still bitch and moan every time something happens that isn't in the rules, even when it's to their advantage.
>>
>>46547122
People always get this wrong. You don't need to follow the character creation rules when making NPCs. In fact, you probably shouldn't. If this guy is a boss monster, give him barrels of HP and legendary actions to punch people with, since he's going to be using his normal actions on spells. If your players complain, point out that not a single NPC in the monster manual or anywhere else is built like a PC.
>>
>>46547209
That kind of defeats the purpose of having a fun, cool-looking set piece battle. If the pcs are blind or stuck in magical darkness the whole time, they won't see how cool the battle is.
>>
>>46547688
Grow a pair
Find your meanest baddest player.
Proceed to beat the shit out of him/her
Take that ass to pound town
Ask if any of the other players have shit to say about your rule changes
Run your game like a man and how you want
>>
>>46547122
I once had my paladin carried off by a dragon and dropped into an army of giants...
If it's a silly npc that isn't supposed to tpk or cripple the party, then it's all cheeky fun.
Just make it up to them by him teaching them sick ass muscle magic, or just a bunch of rings of cast FIST.
They don't like it ask them if they want this to be FUN or SHITTY.
>>
>>46547809
Doesn't the rulebook actually codify this?
>>
>>46547122
Draconic sorcerer with warlock levels, load up on STR for GFB...

But >>46547933 is right, NPCs in 5e don't play by the same rules. They never have class levels, though they often have abilities that are available to classes.
>>
>>46547688
As a player I can kind of relate, sometimes it gets frustrating having an NPC with powers that you can't achieve for whatever reason, but not to the point where I'd throw a hissy fit at my DM every time he tried to spice things up.

One DM I play with has a rule where any humanoid NPC he makes can only have homebrewed abilities and feats that he would feel comfortable giving to the players. That seems a little restrictive to me, but that's how he likes it and it's his game so I don't challenge it.

It sounds to me like you should have a talk with your group about RAW and homebrewed stuff, especially if it's affecting your game significantly. If your group isn't a bunch of assholes, I think you can come to some sort of agreement and understanding.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.