[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/, I've been playing with my casual group for a while
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 400x558) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 400x558
Hey /tg/, I've been playing with my casual group for a while and was wondering what sort of fun formats would be best played with 4 people? We've tried two-headed giant and EDH but none were really satisfying. Suggestions and ideas would be welcome.
>>
Try two-headed giant with the following caveats:
>Both players on a team share hands, mana pool, decks, graveyards, and exiles.
>You may swap who draws from which deck between partners once a turn (no point).
>both teams take their turn at the same time.
>>
>>46544867
EDH had no effect?
EDH is my shit, I have a group of 4-7 depending on work schedules and whatnot, but EDH is the most fun shit out of all formats, in my opinion.
My main point for EDH is that cards never really get banned, so any card you pick up to play with is pretty much guaranteed to stay in the deck until the owner decides to take it out.

May I ask how you guys tried out EDH? How was it not satisfying?
>>
>>46545148
Too small of a card collection so if we wanted to make a deck we had to throw in every single copy card of a single color in our individual collections to make a deck. They ended up as a no-synergy mess that was annoying to play with. Also didn't help that most of us only had one or two mono colored legendary creatures.
>>
>>46545199
I honestly would suggest picking up a precon, a different one for each of you. In doing so, you're getting a 4/10 EDH deck, but you're getting an okay manabase, a decent commander, and a small amount of synergy.
Non-synergetic decks are shit unless they're shit to be funny, like the Game of Thrones deck which in every nonland card, there was a throne/chair in the art.
>>
>>46544867

My suggestion is to pool your cards together and create a cube.

It's my favorite format and once it's well balanced will serve to keep you guys entertained for months. Get bored of it, pick up new cards for it, or build a new one.

Or try the EDH precons
>>
>>46545296
What's the cube format?
>>
>>46545457

If's a pool of cards usually about 360 minimum that you create 15 random card "packs" out of, and then either do a sealed/draft using the "packs.

The holiday powered cube on MTGO is a good example, but I've played some common only cubes that were a blast.

A easy place to start would be to pick a recent set like Khans, and just get a playset of all the commons + some uncommons. Then throw in some rares that look fun to play with/against.
>>
>>46545573
>360 minimum
Fuck. That.
>>
>>46545802
Frankly if you don't have that many cards, you shouldn't be playing magic. Despite what the boxes might say, you actually do need a decently expansive collection to make the game good and fun.
That being said for only 4 people you could get away with a 180 card cube. 360 is so that you can have an 8-man draft with 3 packs each.
>>
>>46546103
What I mean is that's 360 uncommon/rares/mythics required to play a fun draft. I don't think I've ever seen that many rares.
>>
>>46546160
As the original poster suggested, you can in fact play an all common/uncommon cube. I have one myself, it's actually quite fun and powerful.
http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/5961;jsessionid=AE4B83C38D1D41FDB80E9AD6DA29C53D <- Is a good example of a pauper cube.
>>
Planechase or Archenemy.
>>
>>46547702
Planechase is lost of fun, WotC should make a Planechase 2016 set, because the old printings of it are expensive as balls.
>>
>>46545802
If you think that's a lot of cards, I recommend trying board games instead. You and your friends will probably have more fun.
>>
>>46545199
Whatever format you choose, its gonna be crap if you have crap cards. EDH is cheaper than other formats because you don't need to buy a playset of the good cards
>>
>>46547702
>>46548107
I've heard of archenemy before but never planechase, what does it entail?
>>
>>46548459
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Planechase_(format)
Its a neat little thing you can do. Playing EDH planechase with +4 friends is a real clusterfuck
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.