[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WTF Psionics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 400x565) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 400x565
I don't mind Psionics, at least in theory, but at the same time I cannot stand the majority of players who insist on Psionic characters. What is the draw you guys have towards Psionic characters and why won't you okay anything else? Why are they so much better than all other classes in your eyes, regardless of edition or gaming system?
>>
>>46533138
It's a better spellcasting system than vancian
>>
>>46533188

This and they also tend to come later after the designers know the game and its quirks better.
>>
>>46533138
I prefer psionics in Pathfinder since power points are infinitely more easy to keep track of than all the per day spells.

I enjoy having a psionic character usually since it compliments being a social character. Mind reading, telepathy, etc.

I certainly wouldn't play anything other than a "spellcaster" or diplomancer as a psionic though.
>>
>>46533188
>>46533244
I get that, but at the same time why is that the only thing some will ever play? Can you not have fun unless you're scrambling someone's brains like eggs on Sunday morning?
>>
>>46533279
Wouldn't it also be fun to play a social skill monkey with a talent for reading people and deception without having mystical mind reading as a crutch?
>>
>>46533354
And I do, do that too. They were a gunslinger. There's also "Everything not D&D" where being psionic isn't even an option, like Shadowrun and Exalted in my case.
>>
It's because pionic players are used to being special snowflakes so it attracts that guys. Fun fact: add lots and lots of psionic NPCs to fuck with them. Had a snowflake player almost start crying when she tried to set the captain of the guard on fire psionically when the captain was a psychic warrior and figured it out real quick...
>>
Psionics belong as the magic of science fiction.
>>
>>46533354
But poisonous can do that, too. Or rather, they can choose not to noodle someone's mind.
>>
File: darksun.jpg (71 KB, 475x300) Image search: [Google]
darksun.jpg
71 KB, 475x300
>>46533426
I've always thought that psionics only really works in fantasy if it's a sword and planet setting or some other variety of science-fantasy. Psionics fits perfectly if you're playing a not!barsoom setting. Hell, d&d back in the 70's tried to have barsoom as a supported setting before they got sued. Supporting that kind of setting is most likely why they included psionics originally.

The big issue of psionics is that it doesn't really mesh with the standard d&d setting and only works in niche varieties of fantasy, pic related.
>>
>>46533426
>Psionics belong as the magic of science fiction.

It existed before science fantasy. Mind magic was just the easiest for science fantasy writers to have their cake and eat it too because it's connected to an organ.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 300x205) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 300x205
As a player who almost exclusively plays as psionic characters, I get really pissed off when a DM tells me psionics are not allowed. Makes me want to melt his brain with my mind.
>>
>>46533282
I rarely play characters that are purely psionic it's usually a multiclass thing for me and I don't often intend it from the get go. Its feats, classes, and powers just seem to mesh well for me. I don't insist on it but psionics are probably my favorite after clerics and paladins.
>>46533415
Oh god, how awful. Now meeting those retardedly specific PrC requirements will be even easier!
>>
Because it's a fun system to play around. I hardly play Psionic characters exclusively, but if I'm playing a caster I'm sure as fuck playing a Psion.

Also Psionic shit is a lot more easier to refluff than say Divine or Arcane shit.
>>
>>46533138
There are a couple of reasons I prefer psionics.

One, I like the feeling of independence with the system. Clerics and divine characters always need to play lapdog to some god or moral somewhere, which means the DM is free to yank the rug out from under me for any reason. This isn't just a "lol evil tiem now" thought, but just that the DM gets to tell me which actions are "good enough" or "evil enough" to warrant keeping my powers. Arcane has several ways to lose powers as well, most noteworthy losing the spellbook - another common DM trick.

Two, psionics feels more "natural" as a character ability. Arcana is clearly something tacked on that the character is playing with to gain power. Divinity, similarly, is a gift that a character uses from someone else. Psionics is a natural, inate talent that the character possesses, much like martial skill or silver tongue, and a way I enjoy thinking of the character.

Three, at least in D&D3.5e and later, Psionics was a really good system. In D&D3.5e, it was far superior to magic, being far more multiclass-friendly and flexible.

Four, it feels smart to be playing a character with special mental abilities. Yes, it feels smart playing a wizard as well, so that's hardly unique, but playing a character based around their Intelligence feels a bit different than a Dexterous or Strong character.

I can understand some people not liking Psionics or not thinking it fits the current setting. I've skipped on psionic characters many times for that exact reason. It's just that I do enjoy playing psionic characters as well.
>>
File: image.jpg (292 KB, 1812x1736) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
292 KB, 1812x1736
There is no reason not to play a psionic PC. What fa/tg/uy doesn't want to mind control bitches and turn alpha barbarians and fighters into pansies?
>>
Because who doesn't like to

ksh

ksh

Ksh

Ksh

KSH

TRUMPET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It-RkfPjBT8
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.