[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've seen tons of ThatDM or ThatGuy threads let's have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: UWEfhaD.jpg (105 KB, 500x562) Image search: [Google]
UWEfhaD.jpg
105 KB, 500x562
I've seen tons of ThatDM or ThatGuy threads let's have one dedicated to those bro players and DMs that make the game worth playing.

One of my best players stuck with me when the rest of the group decided to bail before the first session (and go with a rival DM that already had a group) he grabbed some of his friends and we had a blast that wouldn't have happened had he went with the group.
>>
>>46519254
But anon, where's the fun if I can't get mad?
>>
>>46519266
Don't get mad, get even.
>>
>>46519254
I wonder how a game run by Mr Rogers would be...low combat?
>>
>>46519344
Probably not very good. He strikes me as the kind of DM that is terrified of inflicting permanent harm on your character.
>>
>>46519344
Brutal, sure there might not be much combat, but the royalty will eat you alive if you fuck up even one etiquette rule. And traps, traps everywhere.
>>
>>46519369
>>46519407
the vast vast difference in reply here is telling in and of itself...
>>
>>46519344
Please remember that this was the guy who thought Romero's Night of the Living Dead was fun to watch. Mr. Rogers would not shy away from allowing the party to explore the less pleasant realities of life through the lens of imagination. Just like the motive behind his show, a Rogers campaign would be about bringing goodness and hope to a world that's in serious need of both, and the hard road to understanding others enough to encourage them to do the same.
>>
>>46519512
I could get wholeheartedly behind that.

damn shame he's dead
>>
>>46519512
>campaign ends when you've managed to transcend violence entirely, even though you started out neck deep in it
>BBEG is the one enemy who just won't listen to reason and absolutely refuses to come out of a Might Makes Right mentality
>his actions and your attempts to dissuade him ultimately end with him destroying himself
>last session is you guys holding his funeral in secret, so that even if the whole world hated him he can be sent off with at least a little dignity and respect
>>
>>46519254
I've had a couple players that have stuck out out for me with an UESRPG campaign, even though we've been on haiatus for months they're still interested in getting back together.

They've all taken my story in really unexpected but spectacular directions, depth I hadn't expected it to go too, as well. Though I've lost contact with one.
>>
>>46519577
I love you /tg/.
>>
>only 11 replies and 8 posters

Meanwhile the last That Guy thread got 315 replies
The hoby ended up been toxic as fuck
>>
>>46519679
see >>46519266
>>
File: ilu2.jpg (52 KB, 500x212) Image search: [Google]
ilu2.jpg
52 KB, 500x212
>>46519604
>>
I have this edgy player who plays chaotic netural all the time and loves betraying on the group every chance he gets.
I don't hate him and we all get along.
>>
File: 1457716001667.jpg (109 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457716001667.jpg
109 KB, 1280x720
>>46519884
You must have the goodwill of a saint, I admire your mental strength
>>
>>46519254
My group plays well and one player keeps asking me when the next session is. I'm not sure how they'd handle character death since we're playing DH2nd, but I think they'd handle it well.

I am happy.
>>
>>46519679

4chan is a toxic place.
>>
>>46519254

The problem is, describing a great game and a great GM is somewhat boring, banal. You can't have a story without conflict of some sort.

So while I can tell you my group has an amazing GM who has built this amazing world, so much so that we have put a lot of stake in the outcomes of the plot not so much on our own characters, but on the NPCs we've interacted with, where does it go from there?
>>
>>46519679
Yes, but this thread is predicated on the fantastical notion that people sometimes do things kind enough to be worthy of remark.
>>
>>46519884
You could try telling him to stop, in a non-aggressive fashion.
>>
>>46519884
You could play Paranoia.
>>
>>46520416
Maybe tell a little more about the world, the plot, or specific moments where your GM outdid themselves? If it's got you so invested, then there's probably a story worth telling in there.
>>
>>46519254
I'm in two SWN games and both the GMs are amazing in their own right.

In game 1, the GM making sure every player gets something they want out of the game and manages to connect every member of the group. While everybody's solo scenes seem like they take place in a different kind of game, everything feels connected somehow and everyone has fun.

On game 2, the GM has created this amazing world that somehow feels very realand organic. Taking sides in a conflict net you certain benefits and every action has a consequence that doesn't feel forced or left-handed. Sadly, that game is plagued by the lolrandumb guy that everyone but me seems to tolerate.
>>
>>46520687

Then that becomes a story about my game and how it's going, not a story about the greatness of my GM. And we have lots of tell your campaign story threads.
>>
>>46519679
I love some quests and QMs on tg. Some of them could easily make money with writing.
>>
Let us not forget who Fred Rogers was before he was on TV. He was a blood thirsty and highly decorated marine and WWII vet. He created his show in an effort to show the world there are other ways than soul crushing, bloody violence. He wore those sweaters because his arms were covered in tatoos. Let's also remember when he successfully used his niceness to save PBS from that jerk politician. He might have a campaign so horribly dark, Cthulu would blush.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjgqv7g-_zLAhWGtIMKHc13BjwQyCkIHTAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DyXEuEUQIP3Q&usg=AFQjCNHWi4YGw3C023jZtPsT5lPkygMYBQ
>>
>>46519254
>rival DM

Like a nemesis? I need stories!
>>
File: TVPjrkF.jpg (126 KB, 714x960) Image search: [Google]
TVPjrkF.jpg
126 KB, 714x960
>>46523197
Eh he was my first DM but he did pretty much every thatDM thing a single person could. He had a kender rogue DMPC. Killed people's characters if they did something he didn't like/ interrupted his DMPC wanking. Pandered to what few women he could get to play games. Expected everyone to drop what they were doing to play at a moment's notice. A group of us got sick of it. Since I had creative experience, story writing, I volunteered to be the new groups DM, wrote out some plots, got various paraphilia for DMing, let the group decide what kind of game we were going to play and gave everyone a date that worked for everyone to have our first session. The other guy found out about it. Started pandering to the others to try to get them back to his group (that still had 4 players) and set his game for the same exact date and time to take up the space we were going to use. The lone guy who stuck with me, a real Bro-barian, called them out on their bullshit when they all cancelled to play in the other guys game. He was pissed because he was looking forward to a game where the DM had physical copies of the books and no control issues. So after that group dissolved I ended up just running a one-on-one with the guy and having a pretty good time with him basically Turing it into a Conan the Barbarian story.
>>
>>46520335
Is that you South African man
>>
Two sessions into curse of strahd one of my players who I didn't know before the game started gifted me a hardback copy of I, Strahd.

Said it was thanks for knowing how to actually run a game.

Feels good.
>>
>>46524352
I love it when a player shows some appreciation. It seems like too many take for granted how much work goes into a well run game.
>>
>>46519254
Out of the game thing, but thanks to all car owners who give rides to poorfags to and from ganes, you have no idea how helpful you are.
>>
>>46520415
That is such a stupid word.
>>
>>46526432
What? Toxic?
>>
>>46526505
Yeah, it's new use coined by people who wrongly define toxicity while something like cancerous or even related to disease would work better, ironically promoting more of that behaviour.
>>
>>46526642
Doesn't the term toxic relate to poisonous substances not immediately related to specific organisms? So a toxic atmosphere or a toxic environment isn't really that odd.
>Poisonous individuals create a toxic atmosphere in the gaming community.

Sounds correct metaphorically.
>>
>>46519512
>>46519565
Damn but I bet he would have written some truly awesome 40k fluff. Better than Black Library's at any rate.
>>
File: 13589542183057.jpg (162 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
13589542183057.jpg
162 KB, 480x640
>>46526746
While true, people really mean to denote further meaning to it. Yes, toxic includes attitudes of people and enviromnents. But the outcome of a toxin happens to be simply its own effects.

A sickness or cancer is harmful itself and generates more of it, as in when you say "That Guy's attitude is cancerous." Which holds true because more often than not, the way a player or GM acts will impact how others will act, negatively or positively, specially for newcomers.

This is also relevant to 4chan, as people will act according to what they've experienced of the community and their enviromnent. This is why posting style changes so much between boards and why certain types of posting are discouraged and stop after they get unwanted reactions. In this way, 4chan in general is a cancerous community because it's awful attitudes can drive further people to act worse, while a toxic attitude would only apply its direct effect as the most relevant thing, like being rude to guests or customers.
>>
>>46519679
That's a horrible indicator, anon.
"That Guy" threads are so much more popular because they're so much more interesting. Would you rather hear about the fucktard who goes full autism in the most sperg way possible or about the game where everything was pretty decent and the group agreed to continue the campaign.
>>
>>46528322
I'd rather hear about the game session that ended awesomely, due to one or more of the players being a creative genius.
>>
>>46519254
Why didn't you put a question mark on picture
?
>>
>>46528646
Because it's worded like a question, but it's actually a demand. Like a Sargent saying "would you make your goddamn rack."
>>
>>46522016
Nope. That's a myth. Bob Ross was a military instructor, but Rogers had nothing to do with the armed forces. He wore the sweaters his mother knitted for him.
>>
>>46524013
Sometimes I feel sad I don't really have anyone around to take the games this seriously.
>>
>>46527238
Well. Now I know to not say toxic, and I'll start right now.

*ahem*
Your pedantic word correction is cancerous.
>>
File: 1325181850434.jpg (8 KB, 230x251) Image search: [Google]
1325181850434.jpg
8 KB, 230x251
>>46531190
That's my boy, I expect good things from you.
>>
>>46519884
i did this last session. i wore all black, had a scarf, had a spooky magic mask which gave me terrible power, and helped the GM move the plot forward
>>
>>46528322
It's also because people tend to start arguments in them over rule etiquette or social trends or whatever flavor of the month hatred we have.
>>
>this guy who dropped in on a game I was in when I skipped a session
>He never showed up again
>The group was fucking horrible, railroad plots, boring combat, two players dominating every story, 3.5
>start up a new game a couple years later
>put a lot of work into it, make it a sandbox game
>this guy gets invited by a player 4 sessions in
>tells me the game was horrible and he decided to go start his own 4e game for a while
>plays a bro as fuck orc paladin, gives me some good ideas for running the game
>later tells me he loves my campaign and that he's been driving from an hour and a half away to play it
>gives me an adventure he wrote
>it's fucking cool, tons of interesting challenges that require smart play
>He gets super pumped for my game when he shows up and I'm always excited to hear how his campaign has been going
The funny thing is that we were both motivated by our experiences in a horrible group to up our games.
>>
>>46528646
Because why would so no to Mr Rogers? It's not a proper question.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.