[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
Everyone Loves Warlocks Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Which warlock patron is the best and why is it the Ghost in the Machine?
>>
>>46515125
The best warlock patron is George Soros. Spend fifteen minutes listening to right wing radio in the US and you'll understand that he's behind everything insidious ever. That or the Jews
>>
>>46515125
>Making the new thread 50 posts early just to remove the discord link
baka desu senpai
>>
>>46515125
Because it's hard to argue with
6d8+3d6+2(DEX)+2(CHA)+30 damage a turn
>>
I play tiefling warlock with fiend as my patron. My DM say he's actually my progenitor and appears in my dream to tell me how much I disappoint him.

>fiend "I saw what you did today, daughter I'm disappoint"
>me "jeeze 'dad' its just one kind act, it's not like I'm becoming a paladin."
>>
>>46515327
I've always played the fiend patron as an assistant manager. He's in charge of the warlock, but Asmodeus and the board members of Baator are pulling his strings.
>>
File: Wnam.jpg (149 KB, 616x281) Image search: [Google]
Wnam.jpg
149 KB, 616x281
>>46515224
baka desu senpai ? s-m-h t-b-h f-a-m?

Should I go with Roscoe Goodbarrel or Roscoe Greenbottle? I'm also considering Reed High-hill for highly obvious reasons.
>>
>>46515302
Care to elaborate on those figures?
>>
>>46515461
Alton Brownbottle
>>
>>46515461
>>46515452
>>46515327
Is Enthrall at level 14 actually good? I'm pretty high to play a green old one patron. The god is just some random shapeless mass of screaming tumors somewhere that doesn't know I exist.
>>
>>46515514
Are you stoned?

>captcha
>select all images with grass
>>
>>46515709
Nah
>>
>>46515973
Shame... I'll toke to you, bruddah.
>>
>>46516038
Back atcha
>Captcha: 430
hmm
>>
File: cultist.jpg (52 KB, 600x462) Image search: [Google]
cultist.jpg
52 KB, 600x462
Which is better for a cultist warlock? The fiendpact is traditional and grants added gusto to you vengeance quests, faepacts are more about staying away from others and getting spirited away on ethereal ventures, GOOpacts are about seeing absolute and maddening truth beyond any ethical or moral alignment, and the undying pact grants the ability to stagnate and extend life with removing the need to feed, breath, or age.
>>
>>46517238
GOO is the typical cultist type, but any of them can work.
>>
>>46517238
Christian clergy are undying warlocks.
>>
>>46515125
>Everyone Loves Warlocks
>>
For some reason i can't create a new spell in the spellviewer program, anybody know the solution to this problem ?
>>
File: 1387161107474.jpg (85 KB, 456x412) Image search: [Google]
1387161107474.jpg
85 KB, 456x412
Aight lads, i'll be running a duo as a druid with a ranger, was thinking moon druid to tank / wildshape. anything I should know / expect to deal with?

5e
>>
File: Nis.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Nis.pdf
1 B, 486x500
One of my players wants to be a fairy, so I homebrewed this. Thoughts? Criticisms?

I know the order of "+2 for main race, +1 for subrace" is backwards, but I wanted to make Seelie better warlocks, sorcerers, bards, and Oath of the Ancients paladins, and have Unseelie be better as rangers and druids.
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 950x534
Playing adventurer's league death house at the FLGS. The GM is instituting house rules like "if you roll low, you might hit an ally."

That's bullshit. Is there a reporting mechanism? A way to rate him low?
>>
>>46518702

Start your own group and play with people you like. Don't waste your time with Adventurer's League.
>>
>>46518248

Remember that you can't cast spells while wild shaped until 18th level, but you can maintain concentration on an existing spell. Ask your DM how he'll rule on "beast you have seen before", because that'll have a big effect on what you can turn into. Don't invest too much in physical stats, since you won't be using your own in combat.
>>
>>46518667
I dig it, would make some flavorful feylocks
>>
>>46518762

Thanks, that's the main intention behind it. I'd also love to see someone play an Oath of the Ancients paladin with it as well, and make glorious war in the name of Queen Titania.
>>
>>46518702
State your case for how stupid this is. Then point out that high-level, supposed "expert" fighters would be more danger to their allies than their enemies. Then leave if nothing changes.

Although the fucking death house rooms are so small that you probably would hit your allies.
>>
Arcane trickster or multiclass into wizard?
>>
>>46518795
>Although the fucking death house rooms are so small that you probably would hit your allies.

But historically soldiers fought in much closer proximity to each other and slicing your allies to pieces wasn't exactly a common occurrence despite being nearly pressed shoulder to shoulder. Veteran warriors have the common sense to stab instead of swing like an idiot if they're going to be in extreme close quarters. Unless said warrior is sub-five int.

I don't think any logical case can be made for ever having friendly fire melee as a result of a low d20 roll. If we're talking low as in 1-3 that's a FIFTEEN PERCENT chance to injure a friendly every time you attack. Fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>46518799

Depends on what you want to do. Arcane trickster has mage hand legerdemain and magical ambush, which are pretty awesome, and you'd maintain progression on sneak attack and all your basic rogue abilities. Multiclassing would potentially get you more and more powerful spells, but you'd get fewer ability score improvements, less sneak attack, and miss out on dank shit like Evasion and Reliable Talent.

I'd say either do Arcane Trickster or full wizard with the criminal background.
>>
>>46518799
Why not both
Improved mage hand should not be underestimated
>>
>>46518853
If the fighter is constrained to stabbing due to the situation, and the potential stabbing victim knows this, then the fighter should get disadvantage, but that's it.
>>
>>46518853
Yeah but the typical group going into Death House isn't a trained group of soldiers. It's a ragtag group of lightly trained murderers
>>
>>46518916
Therefore a 20% chance (plus whatever arbitrary number the DM rolls behind the screen) determines whether you take half your health
>>
>>46518916
Level one martials are arguably more than lightly trained. Paladins the most, then fighters, then rogues/rangers and lastly barbs. I'd assume even your average run of the mill first level fighter has at least had 2-3 years of somewhat "professional" training (proficiency in all weapons? that's not exactly a simple achievement)
>>
My fellow DMs I come with a question

My players will most likely come to the tomb of moving stones from PotA this weekend and I want it to be challenging, but if course don't want to have a TPK, which could happen considering the tactics the bringers of woe use (pic related)

Just like that there are a lot of encounters in this adventure that worry me as far as party survival goes

Should I be lenient? Meaning intentionally use area spells on spaces where they don't hit as many PCs as possible, wasting higher level spell slots on bad spells etc?
Or should I be absolutely ruthless and give them a challenge?

There is 1 complete noobie, 2 inexperienced and 2 others that are okay, if it helps
>>
File: 1409049966844.jpg (347 KB, 620x650) Image search: [Google]
1409049966844.jpg
347 KB, 620x650
>>46518995
Forgot pic
>>
>>46518667
Nice. Might actually let me players use this (which means it seems more balanced than any homebrew race I've seen yet). Still a bit wary on the subrace powers - I'm not really a fan of giving players spells higher than cantrips for their race. But they're both very flavorful.
>>
>>46518995

Don't pull any punches. Make it hard, and let them work for it. They'll appreciate the victory more.

What you should do, though, is give them lots of hints and foreshadowing through detailed descriptions. Frescoes on the wall depict cultists frying hordes of paladins with spheres of evil darkness, to warn PCs that there will be AoE spells. Enemies with similar stats look and dress similarly, so players can learn their attacks and plan accordingly. Bad guys threaten to do things, then do them the next round. That kind of thing.

Give them lots of opportunities to feel smart and awesome, but don't intentionally water down the challenge. It's better to give your players enough support that they can succeed at awesome things and overcome immense challenges, rather than reduce the amount of awesome and challenge in the module.
>>
>>46515468
Revolvers are 2d8 (three shots because thirsting blade and 2 guns), hex is d6 per hit, lifedrinker adds CHA mod to damage and sharpshooter adds 10 damage per hit for a -5 to hit penalty
>>
>>46519087

Thanks! If your players end up using it, please post here and let me know how it goes.

I tried to balance the spells roughly with what Tieflings and Aasimar get, but I am concerned that they might be a bit too useful. They're meant to be very handy in allowing a clever player to bypass combat, which I think is in keeping with the flavor of the race, but not terribly useful for combat applications. Invisibility might still need to be toned down, though.
>>
>>46515224
>discord link
Did you perhaps mean:

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
>>46518667
That's pretty cool, dude.
>>
>>46519137
Fair enough, I'm biased due to my players always using disguises to bluff their way though large numbers of enemies - I'm lucky to have players who don't simply charge the castle.

If you want the two subraces to bemoe or less equal: the Seelie more or less have Disguise Self 1/day, right? Looking at first level spells, maybe the Unseelie could have Silent Image? It would fit with their theme of deception.

Btw, I'm really a fan of their flight mechanic - cool and thematically appropriate, but limited enough to be balanced.
>>
>>46518995
don't aim for a TPK, but don't aim to avoid a TPK. just aim for a strong challenge where a TPK may or may not happen, and leave the ball in their court
>>
>>46515125
How would one change the Undying pact to make it look more appealing to their players?
>>
>>46518002
It's the cycle, first we hate them, then we love them, then we hate them again.
>>
>>46519096
Sounds good, thanks
I'll probably let them know that the difficulty will be cranked up too, so they're ready for when the black earth priest spider climbs his way to the ceiling and shatters the everloving shit out of them
>>
>>46519253
>I'll probably let them know that the difficulty will be cranked up too
Definitely. Make sure everyone knows what they're getting into.
>>
I just rolled 16 16 16 15 14 11. What class would benefit the most from having almost all stats so high?
>>
>>46519358
Anything, really. You could try out some multi-class shenanigans if you like.
>>
To the anon who wanted an updated EN5IDER mega, I created the old one with a throwaway account. Here's a new, fully updated one (only 2 new PDFs since last time).

https://mega.nz/#F!i4hH3LwZ!7k-d-dm6vldzzvOofgbSTQ
>>
>>46519376
What would go well with a barbarian? And which race for that matter.
>>
>>46515125
Reposting because this retard made the thread 100+ posts too early:

New DM here. How do I make wilderness travel / exploration shine?

My group has two Rangers and one character with the outlander background. Also, we use theater of the mind.

Would a mapless hex crawl be fun, do you think? Like, I have a DM-only map of square tiles, and ask the party to choose NSEW to move to the next tile, which they can map themselves if they choose.

Should I implement tracking of food and water? Outlander essentially eliminates this in all but strict time constraints, and not all travel is time constrained.

I'm also thinking about using the 24 short rest / 7 day long rest during wilderness travel to preserve the "adventuring day", justified by the fact that they're hiking / foraging inbetween fights, not lounging at an inn, so it's more tiring.
>>
>>46519448
2/2

Also, what is the purpose of survival checks?

Determining direction is trivially easy under most situations even when you're not a superhuman who is incapable of becoming lost under mundane circumstances.

And Outlander takes care of food/drink, although the PHB kind of makes it sound like that's an unnecessary redundancy and that food/drink foraging is implied in travel speed.

So basically, that leaves following tracks as the major function.

Then "discern signs an owlbear lives nearby", which seems like it could be investigation or nature as well, but okay, it's something. I don't really know when it would ever come up, but it's something. You somehow suspect something lives here, but don't have enough information to confirm it, roll survival. Got it.

Next, predicting the weather? When does that ever matter? Unless you're roleplaying a character afraid of lightning, or it's a naval or mass-combat heavy campaign, never.

Finally, avoid natural hazards. So basically perception, but particularly for naturally occurring traps. Which I guess can come up from time to time.

It just feels like the entire concept of a ranger relies on mechanics that aren't in the game.
>>
>>46519425
3 levels in champion fighter for crit shenanigans
or
11 levels in champion fighter if you want 3 attacks and more crit shenanigans
or
1 level in Rogue to get expertise in Athletics to go full luchador

Casters don't mix well with Rage
>>
>>46519425
Barb/Bladesinger would be a pretty fun build, though I don't know if it would be "good".

You could also just go for a normal build and put those three 16s in your 3 physical scores. Very good stats for a barb.
>>
>>46519358
half-elf rogue/bard with 15+1 str, 16 dex, 11+1 con, 16 int, 16 wis, 14+2 cha. skill monkey extraordinaire
>>
>>46519425
Do you have wis? Then go bear totem/moon druid and be the ultimate wildman
>>
>>46519358
Definitely a bard
>>
>>46519228
Decided to take a quick crack at buffing the Undying Patron for myself. Most likely not perfect but it's a rough draft.

Strength of the Grave stolen from the Shadow Sorcerer in the Underdark UA because I thought it made for a god ability for a person who is supposed to be cheating death. I put it at level 14 to avoid 1 level dips for such a good ability and moved their old level 14 ability to level 6 because it's basically just Second Wind but spookier

Feedback wanted and appreciated. Didn't bother with nice formatting because fuck it, I'm just spitballing at this point
>>
>>46519618
>animate dead on the list
That's really, really strong, but honestly they might need it. 3 undead every short rest is going to be hilarious. New necromancer class acquired.
>>
>>46519453

I answered you in the other thread, but just to TL;DR that one...

You're the DM, you make those abilities relevant. D&D adventures should not take place in cozy little countrysides where nature will never mess with you. D&D takes place on craggy, snowy mountains, in dark enchanted forests, in vast burning deserts, on raging seas, in sweltering jungles. If nature isn't relevant in your game, you should change that, because your game is missing a lot of stuff that would make the game more fun for the whole table.
>>
>>46519658
Crap, I didn't even take that into account. that's a little ridiculous

I'll find something appropriate to change it to
>>
>>46519696
Well I think it fits. Perhaps just make an invocation like "cast animate dead 1/short rest" and automatically give it to them?
>>
>>46519743
Not looking to make a new invocation, just to buff the existing Patron.

On one hand, the Warlock will still be spending one of their very few spell slots on keeping control of their summons, but on the other hand, once they've built up their force, keeping control would be easier. It's probably why Animate Dead isn't on their spell list by default but it's very thematically appropriate.

If Animate Dead doesn't stay on the list, the replacements I considered are Feign Death, Remove Curse, or Stinking Cloud (as if summoning corpse stank)
>>
File: Hex Crawl Travel DM Notes.png (135 KB, 1204x974) Image search: [Google]
Hex Crawl Travel DM Notes.png
135 KB, 1204x974
>>46519453
Direction: and yet people, experienced people, get lost often enough.

Outlander: honestly, it is over powered with ranger if you are doing a hex crawl. What you need to do is address if the given area has food. Take the intent of Outlander to be 'gets more food' and don't worry so much about the number. Make the number dependent on the roll. Just Outlander does better.

Weather: it matters if they get caught out without shelter. Enforce lack of sleep, health issues, exhaustion if they are wet or exposed. The worse the incoming weather the more time they need to build shelter to cover it. Let me tell you anon, as an old Army Ranger weather matters it the most huge way. It would matter far more to a fantasy ranger. Make it matter.

Tracking and perception: consider the whole thing that they may be hunted. Spot an ambush. Detect tracks/lair of a creature they cannot handle. The second should come up very often at lower levels.

The reason that ranger mechanics don't feel part of the game is that nearly every adventure is some version of a dungeon. The Forest is the dungeon now. Treat it like that.
>>
>>46519808
And don't let it just be a dice roll thing. Take the Outlander food deal for example. Rather than have him roll the dice and get food, make that an opening for a bit of adventure. The dice result simply gives him the opening.

Good roll? He sees a game trail and can hunt that animal that brings in the food for the party. He still needs to track it and kill it.

It doesn't, really shouldn't I suppose, be a half hour deal. But give that ranger ten minutes of start time to expand on what that skill did - not just a toss of the dice.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d6)

Hey /tg/, I'm hoping to make an Arcane Trickster who uses magics that allow him emulate a spider. However, I'm not super familiar with all the spells and it's annoying flipping between pages/scrolling through PDFs for half the time. Are there any properly navigable spell compendiums out there? Preferably one that lists the spells by class as in the PHB but with a mouse-over that shows the spell description?
>>
>>46519100
Blade pact is melee only
>>
>>46519940
Look in the pastebin
>>
Party manages to kill am adult red dragon at lvl 4 thanks to some 20s and afew 1s, dm gives everyone 700xp and says we are lucky to get that much, we are over powered as is
>>
OP's pic got me thinking

Is there a sci-fi variant or reskin of 5e?
>>
>>46519956
what a shit DM. dump him. also, please greentext the fight.
>>
>>46519977
there's some sci-fi weapons in the DMG and a couple of UAs about modern settings

not really enough for a game though
>>
>>46519952
Fucking nice, this thing is great!
>>
File: en5ider_024_into_the_stars.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
en5ider_024_into_the_stars.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46519977
>>46520005
Not official, but you might like this.
>>
>>46519956
Let me guess, he's one of those DMs that hands out magic items like candy, so you're all space marines by now.
>>
>>46519618
I'm not a fan of just straight up giving deadlock second wind

The changes I have thought of have been more subtle
Lv1 spare the dying gets a range of 30
Lv6 change spare the dying hp gain to con mod hp for both you and the target every time you use it on a dying creature
Lv10 you can also be revived with raise dead
Lv14 bonus action to regain 1d8+con hp, no rest limit
>>
>>46519793
Removed Animate Dead and replaced it with Stinking Cloud to supplement Warlock's blasty nature

r8, h8, ber8
>>
>>46519945
Modern magic has an invocation that allows pact weapon to be a firearm
>>
>>46520072
I should've waited a second before posting. Muh bad

I like the range change, and although cantrips are specifically stated to not provide HP healing, I think that it only works on a dying creature might make +Con HP to both you and target forgiving.

I'll make some changes and we'll see how i turns out. Gimme a second
>>
>>46519983
>play pladin dragonborn and always introduce myself when I enter.
>smell sulfer and huge pile of rubies in middle of cave, dragon sense goes off.
>tell my party and give them heads up I'm going to introduce myself, talked my way out of last dragon lair with stupid high chr and luck.
>cleric, monk, fighter and a bard npc stand back, player bard tries to hide and vast invisible.
>I call out to the rubies that we wish to greet the master of this cave and we wish to pass through peacefully.
>it asks how the hell I am, tell him I'm the reincarnation of the god of fishing and he discovers the bard trying to hide.
>>
>>46520114
We have 2 magical items a great sword I never use that makes me lucky, and fighter has a mask with alert.
>dragon laugh and tells me to prove I'm a god, so I use my god powers to do a party trick and make a little radiant rainbow appear.
>when I say he found the bard, i mean he flicked so rubies at her and made her extremely bloody, so in a rage she charges from side.
>bard npc is her master and tries to save her by tackling her to ground, dropping magic book he had that calls down swarm of meteors if it loses his hand
>was meant to stop is from stealing it from him
>dragon sees non of this is focused on my godly party tricks.
>I see book go flying under dragon, I tell him give it a moment.
>stand there like Tony Stark as 4 meteors crash down on screaming dragon, incasing him in a solid mass of rubies
>he took no fire dmg, but shit load of bludgeoning, he retaliates by breath fire at me.
>dm thinks he's killed me and asks how much HP I have
>tell him to just tell me how much it did, no fudging
>tells me I took 63 fire dmg
>party looks like we all going to die
>tell him I took 31, they all forgot I'm gold
>dragon fails every roll to try and break free, still knocks out monk and bard with bite and wings
>>
How often should I be providing my players with magic items/weapons? Is there a good resource for what kinds of items they should expect to have by certain levels?

I don't want to end up with a Monty Haul campaign, but I would like to give my players rewards for doing well.
>>
>>46520072
>>46520099

So I took advice from your Spare the Dying changes but didn't utilize your bonus action heal. HP regain with no rest limit is pretty much just a full heal whenever you want and kind of pushes it into overpowered territory. Got rid of the resistance to undead hostility feature as it conflicted with the Spare the Dying changes in terms of what you get in a single level.

As always, r8, h8, ber8
>>
>>46519390
Cool man. Will you be keeping it updated?
>>
>>46520271
6th level should probably also let you cast animate dead 1/short rest. That'll put you roughly on par with a necro wizard of your level.
>>
>>46520277
Definitely, but I might forget. If I do, just ask.
>>
>>46520309
All good my man.
>>
>>46520271
If it works for you then roll with it. I'm still not a fan of straight up second wind though
>>
>>46520251
Took a while to take it down and it still did plenty to us, but we still had all our spells and abilities up since only had weak fights leading up to it. Plan to harvest rubies and dragon parts for awhile.

Party doesn't get along and kind of formed buddies inside of teams, but we fight together really well once we stop fighting each other.
>>
>>46520251
>bard npc dropping magic book
>calls down swarm of meteors if it loses his hand
>book go flying under dragon
>4 meteors crash down on screaming dragon
>he took no fire dmg, but shit load of bludgeoning

So you killed a dragon because the DM literally said "rocks fall, dragon dies".
>>
>>46520331
Neither am I but if it works for Fighters then it's decent enough. Plus the main point wasn't to add entirely new feature, but to alter existing ones and give it existing options that felt thematically correct.

>>46520295
Version 4. How's it look now?
>>
>>46520256
Read the DMG, starting on page 133.
>>
>>46520340
Meteors don't stack on target, all it did was piss it off and restrain it, DMs wanting to put flair on everything turned against him. He still almost killed monk and bard outright, think he is getting annoyed we gave a habit of getting mad in character and wanting to attack things when he thinks we shouldn't.
>>
>>46520369
Looks pretty cool. I'd play one.
>>
>>46520369
I just wish warlocks got a pact feature at 20. This patron is begging to let you turn into a lich or a vampire.
>>
>>46520395
Your DM is shit and your campaign is probably also shit. Find a new one.
>>
File: DnD 5e Lich Ritual.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
DnD 5e Lich Ritual.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46520412
Funnily enough I have a convoluted homebrew for turning into a Lich based off of the old 2e ritual. It was supposed to be meant as a more in-depth option instead of "I do the Lich ritual" but ended up just an afternoon writing prompt.

Don't expect it to be good, but if you actually want to use it, go for it
>>
>>46520436
>No, you don't get Legendary Actions or Legendary Resistances . You're a full caster
god damn it. You don't need help breaking the game: you just naturally do it
I kek'd.

Liches must have 9th level spellcasting, not just 6th.
And if you don't feed your phylactery it doesn't shatter, you just become a demilich.
Rest looks good. Well done!
>>
>>46520482
Feel free to change what you want. I muffed up the demilich part though. I'd change it but it was just homebrew sitting around in my 5e folder I wrote almost a year ago, so I never had intentions of using it
>>
>>46520412
The way I see it it already kinda does
I mean, you can reattach lost limbs, don't need to breathe or eat or sleep, can regenerate, don't age and are ignored by undead (mostly)

You're basically undead, and can cast spells, making you a minor lich
>>
/5eg/, give me your worst, most terrifying, aberrant nightmares. The more frightening the better.
>>
File: NecromancerCover_Springborg.jpg (212 KB, 1600x992) Image search: [Google]
NecromancerCover_Springborg.jpg
212 KB, 1600x992
What's the best legions-of-the-undead build using only official material? Right now I'm going for warlock 5 + wizard necro 15. Since you can cast spells from spellcasting in pact magic and vice versa, you can have short rest zombies
>>
Rolled 11 (1d100)

>>46520251
>>46520336
Damn, what a story.

My group and I fought a white adult dragon the other day (we're all ~level 7). We knew the dragon was coming when we were crossing a field, so we abandoned our caravan, laid a magic door on the ground, and hid inside. We waited a while and after some strength checks
to break some ice, we opened the door back up to find that the dragon took the door back with him to add to his hoard. He came back, saw that the door was dislodged, and (despite having only 8 int - our DM hates it when we play the game cautiously) dropped the door into a pit of freezing water in the middle of his lair.

To get out of there, I considered using my blink squirrel and size-changing magic, but my DM said the squirrel's strength would be too low, so I used Leomund's Tiny Hut to encapsulate only a small amount of the water and block the rest from our side of the door, opened the door allowing a few cubic meters of water into the room, went to the other side of the door, closed it, and switched it to a door that leads to the astral sea. From there, I hammered a climbing hook into the stone floor of the pit and tethered myself to it with rope, opened the door to the astral sea, and went through it, clinging to the door frame on the other side. This meant that I was exiting the Tiny Hut, thus dispelling it, and so the water was jettisoned to the astral sea. I went back to my party, and we used a rope ladder and teleportation magics to get out of the pit.

From there, we set up another Leomund's Tiny Hut and waited for the dragon to return. When he did, we cheesed him with arrows from inside and casters poked out and in the hut throwing spells at it while it maintained a spot in the air from where it was breath weaponing us. Our Barbarian tried to frontline it but took about 70% of his Max HP in cold damage and ran back to the hut for healing.
>>
>>46520412
PCs as liches doesn't really make sense in 5e (I remain unsure if it honestly ever did in older editions either).

There doesn't really seem to be a point, either, there's nothing to do with immortality or whatever in the timescale and power level of 5e.
>>
>>46520588
3.5 had a splatbook where one of the classes (Dread Necromancer) made you a lich at 20. It was really cool.
>>
>>46520547
Trying to think of this I realized I have not had a single nightmare since I was a kid, unless you count stress dreams
>>
>>46520624
Then you have my undying envy. >.>
>>
>>46520624
You know I never really thought about it, but I never have nightmares either. I didn't think it was strange until just now, when...

>One definition of "nightmare" is a dream which causes one to wake up in the middle of the sleep cycle and experience a negative emotion, such as fear. This type of event occurs on average once per month. They are not common in children under five, but they are more common in young children (25% experiencing a nightmare at least once per week), most common in teenagers, and common in adults (dropping in frequency about one third from age 25 to 55).

Once a month? I haven't had a nightmare since I can remember.
>>
>>46520676
I read somewhere once that people who play vidya are less likely to have nightmares because their subconcious instead tries to kick whatever spooky things ass instead.

Could be a load of bollocks tho I dunno.
>>
>>46520582
DM decided that this INT 8 dragon was smart enough to know that the hut doesn't have a bottom and so he had the dragon flee and while we were figuring out what to do (figured it was leaving to heal up and return later), he tells us that the dragon is suddenly inside the hut with us, having tunneled from underneath.

Would be a TPK and was pretty unreasonable. I argued that we would hear the fucking thing underneath us and I had dragons as a favored enemy so I would know they can burrow. So the barbarian and I pushed the casters into the magic door and ran out of the hut. Dragon comes up, closes the door (because, sure), and starts fucking the barbarian up. Earlier in the fight, I activated my Ring of Obsidian Armor (stone-skin ring flavored with obsidian), so I went base-to-base with the dragon to distract it so our barbarian would get the chance to charge it and triple attack.

The door falls down a 10 foot radius circular cross-section hole that the dragon apparently excavated, so our casters were out of the fight. On their turn, they opened the door, which caused it to stop freefalling (door can't move while it's opened), and they had to use some clever tricks to get back up to help us out. Our sorceress threw some Blights at the dragon from the doorway before the dragon waddled over to our frozen unconcsious barbarian to finish him off. I was almost dead myself, the barbarian on death saving throws, and the fight looking close, so I decided to use my one-shot kill arrow that I've been holding onto as a contingency for months. I activate my spirit companion (giant eagle) and its ability to give party and I advantage on attack rolls. I shoot the arrow into the dragon, land the hit, and it uses its Legendary Resistance to make the save. Not sure how many times it has use that in this fight yet at that point, but the magic of the arrow would still be intact.
>>
>>46517238

I think the idea of the undying light warlock is cool, but of those 4 I'd probably go with fae or fiend.

What do you guys want to see for future pacts? I think it would be cool to see a pact to some kind of strong elemental creature (or maybe to the plane itself, like the Undying Light), personally.
>>
>>46520624
Same here. Well, back when I was writing my thesis I had a dream where I accidentally deleted the files (and apparently forgot I have 3 different backup copies), and I've sometimes had a dream where my teeth fall off, but those are really lame and didn't even in the dream elict a very strong response (it was more of "oh, damn it" than "oh god, the horror!").
>>
>>46520701
Makes sense, all the shit we can get away with in vidya has to have some sort of effect on our psyche, and I'm more willing to believe it makes us subconscious badasses than ticking time bombs as the soccermom-media would have you believe
>>
>>46520547
Nightmare Anon here. I've been wanting to spice up my list of aberrations with which to torture my players.

These aberrations were created by what amount to Cthulhu-esque psionic creatures that can manipulate a creature's body using pseudo-Science.

Unfortunately for my players, things are about to be stepped up a bit, because they're going beyond the "safe-ish" territories.
>>
>>46520779
>dream where my teeth fall off, but those are really lame and didn't even in the dream elict a very strong response (it was more of "oh, damn it" than "oh god, the horror!").
Same. It used to happen quite frequently, and it did horrify me (since losing my teeth is a small fear of mine), but after the 4th or so dream of that kind I remember thinking in the dream "are you serious? Ugh, fucking hell." Haven't had one since.
>>
>>46518916

A level 1-2 Fighter is often pointed out as being able to represent an ELITE warrior/soldier/guard. Most people who fight semi-professionally or professionally don't have any class levels at all.
>>
>>46520785
For a while I kept a dream journal.

My dreams always had vidya elements in them. Like a minimap, or respawning, or levels, or whathaveyou. Just as part of the dream world, same as gravity or floods or school would show up from time to time.
>>
>>46520813
That's because no NPCs have class levels. Take the Gladiator or Knight, as an example of a professional Fighter-like character with no class levels.
>>
>>46520779
Yeah I've had the teeth fall off one, but to be honest my first thought was "well, at least no more dentist"

Yeah the real bad ones have to do with IRL shit, like my boss realizing I'm actually very underqualified and firing me or my degree being rendered worthless or my SO cheating, that kind of thing
>>
>>46520582
Wish we could do stuff like that, its hard enough trying to get upgrades to our gear, every weapon the enemies use are all used so only worth 1 gold or something, I had 500+ gold worth of weapons, and armor according to players guide and was saving up for some full plate. DM didn't want to spend forever with my character at shop selling so he had a merchant we were with sell it for me. It was all used so you get 45 gold... I have no become untrusting of this merchant and refuse to help him, now hoarding all treasure for myself and sharing small amounts when someone else does something worth of a portion
>>
>>46520582
>>46520747
The dragon took me down with a triple attack (+cold damage) and went to finish off the Barbarian. Dragon knocks my eagle out of the sky, one shotting it, and then swallows the barbarian. I crit my first death saving throw and on my next turn I charge the dragon, grapple it, yank the arrow out, and stab it back in. The dragon fails his save and it turns out that this homebrew arrow my DM made trades souls between the creature attuned to it and the target. So now my soul is in the dragon's body with 16HP, the dragon's soul is in my body with 1HP, and the barbarian is about to fail his last death saving throw automatically in my stomach. DM let me use a Legendary action to throw up the barbarian. The casters nearly kill me as they exit the hole, and I use my next turn to knock my body with dragon soul unconscious and tell the party that there was a body swap.

Was some bullshit, I'll tell you. For future reference, how can you ground a dragon? As in, how to force it to land? Fight would have been much easier if we could have accomplished that.
>>
>>46520844
>For future reference, how can you ground a dragon? As in, how to force it to land?
Get it in a corner of its lair with a low ceiling.
>>
>>46518859

I feel like you either give up too much sneak attack progression or you lose out on 4th level spells, which is a real bummer imo. I'd stick to either full AT or Wizard, personally.
>>
>>46520844
>For future reference, how can you ground a dragon?
I'm pretty sure there's no spell or method of actually causing someone with wings to stop using them, so it requires the DM to accept your idea. I shoot a dragon with a big fuck off ballista one time and pinned one of its wings to its body.

If you enlarge a Str-based character sufficiently, I think they could grapple and restrain the dragon while it's on the ground. Would prevent it from taking off, I think.
>>
>>46520844
Our red dragon could still move its head wings and tail, but since the Ruby it was breaking out of had it restrained we were able to just bash it to death. Having nothing magical to use in a fight makes things alittle less creative and more hack and slash. Told the fighter we should take scales to get some armor made, and the bard who is a red head might look good in a leather cloak made from the wings, I'll be damned if we don't get anything from it, wouldn't even give us lvl 5..
>>
>>46520813
>A level 1-2 Fighter is often pointed out as being able to represent an ELITE warrior/soldier/guard.

Weh. Not really. You're better than the ragtag town militiamen, but not the King's royal guard.

>Most people who fight semi-professionally or professionally don't have any class levels at all.

Yes, but class levels don't make you stronger than not having class levels, it just makes you an NPC.

Knights are what, CR3? And guards and bandits are CR1/8.

A level one fighter is far outclassed by a knight, but could handle one or two guards or bandits. You're not an elite warrior at level one, you're more like the squad over-achiever.

>>46520831
The PHB literally says the armor and weapons off monsters is usually in such shit condition it can't even be sold at all.
>>
Playing my first game next week. What's a good class to go with for my first time out? I'd like to be useful to the group.
>>
>>46520883
Get on its back get super lucky and grapple its wings mid flight, plummet to the ground and both take fall damage
>>
>>46520975
It literally doesn't matter pick anything
>>
>>46520831
>was saving up for some full plate
Do you be happening to be playing Curse of Strahd?
>>
>>46520966
And yet I was taking them off city guard, which wouldn't be in shit condition...
>>
>>46520987
Paladin it is.
>>
>>46520995
No but I hear there are 4 that magically resize to any player
>>
>>46521001
>And yet I was taking them off city guard, which wouldn't be in shit condition...

Maybe it wasn't, until you filled it with arrow holes.
>>
>>46520975
The absolute simplest classes are fighter, rogue, and warlock. Don't worry so much about pulling your weight, you'll be an asset to the group if you don't split the party and don't do anything obviously stupid.
>>
File: Lords of Madness Monsters.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Lords of Madness Monsters.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46520792
Well, some anon ported the monsters from Lords of Madness (the 3.5 edition splatbook about Aberrations) into 5th edition, which could give you some things you could use. Same person also did a bunch of Cthulhu-themed monsters, adapted mostly from the CoC RPG. Those could be useful as well.

I had a bunch of Cthulhu Mythos monsters in my Cthulhu-themed homebrew as well, but the monsters weren't the main focus so they're not as interesting as the other anon's versions.
I'm thinking of adding a few aberrations into one of my other compilations (about my homebrew setting's version of dark elves, who worship eldritch gods instead of Lolth), but those aren't really particularly nightmarish as far as aberrations go (I mean, aberration/elf hybrids that look like they're in a perpetual state of having their black, tarry flesh slough off from their bones are pretty mundane, really).
>>
File: 1439425153041.png (535 KB, 638x921) Image search: [Google]
1439425153041.png
535 KB, 638x921
>>46520975
It's 5e, even the worst options(WotE Monk, Beastmaster Range) are still usable to the point where non-minmaxing groups won't notice the difference.

Legit just pick a class that feels mechanically comfy to you if you care so much. That way, you won't forget your abilities.
>>
>>46520944
Lol, adult red = 18,000 experience

700*5 = 3,500 experience total assuming a party of 5.

Your DM is useless, he gipped you guys 14,500exp.
>>
>>46521021
Fill great axe with arrows how?
>>
What are some systems with good exploration / travel mechanics that I can steal and drop into 5e?
>>
Is a barbarian that focuses on javelin throwing viable or should I just stick with regular barbarian weapons?
>>
>>46521079
Go buy a real metal weapon, hit it against another metal weapon really hard a few times, and tell me how well it looks after.
>>
>>46520883
We do have access to ridiculous enlarge magic. Wouldn't be too difficult for our barbarian to enlarge and be in melee range of the dragon despite that its in flight.
>>
>>46521086
Sure. You just don't get rage damage when you're using throwing weapons.
>>
File: Joshua.png (658 KB, 827x1165) Image search: [Google]
Joshua.png
658 KB, 827x1165
>>46521031
I'd argue that Barbarian is far simpler than Rogue. Barbs flip a kill switch and go in. Rogues are forced to skirmish using their Cunning Action in many instances, sometimes even having to make the choice of using it offensively and leaving themselves vulnerable.
>>
>>46521034
Huh. I like. Thanks.
>>
>>46520844
Shove. If it was anything less than ancient, an Enlarged grappler (who isn't a gnome or halfling) can Shove it prone to cause it to fall out of the sky and take bludgeoning damage when it hits the ground.

To stay with the creature so you can continue attacking it, you could possibly take the Climb onto a Bigger Creature action from the DMG. That lets you hang on and get advantage for doing so!
>>
File: 1428516460122.jpg (132 KB, 636x900) Image search: [Google]
1428516460122.jpg
132 KB, 636x900
>>46521117
>>46521086
Yes, you even get your Rage bonus. http://www.sageadvice.eu/ have gone through this. If the weapon is melee, it doesn't matter how you use it, it counts as a Melee Weapon Attack. Same applies to range. The only thrown melee weapon that was explicitly stated to gain the benefits of both melee and ranged are daggers.
>>
>>46520547
Look up Lusus Naturae and Teratic Tome.
>>
>>46521202
That's not true. They are melee weapons, but they are used as ranged weapon attacks via the thrown property.
>>
Where can I learn more about fae and the seelie court and all that stuff? Is there an older sourcebook that details it all?
>>
Rolled 1, 8, 7, 6, 8, 4, 11, 5, 5, 3, 4, 5, 1, 5, 2 + 75 = 150 (15d12 + 75)

>>46519940
So I'm sorting this character out and I'm trying to pick relevant spells for the spider theme. The only relevant cantrip available is Poison Spray but I need to pick one more. Is it permissible for me to combine elements of one of the cantrips and the magical item "wand of viscous globs" (cumshot wand that restrains target)? I guess it's up to my DM. Would you allow this?
>>
>>46521353
Restrained is one of the most powerful conditions in the PHB. Advantage to every attack roll against him, disadvantage on all of the target's, disadvantage on Dex saves, and his speed becomes 0. And that's on a cantrip.

So no.
>>
>>46521255
Wrong

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-august-2015
>>
>>46521014
That is actually a really good choice. Just remember you can buff as well as fight.
>>
>>46521448
No, correct.

Are you referencing the bit where a melee weapon remains a melee weapon when you throw it? Because that's not in dispute. It's still a melee weapon, but you're making a ranged weapon attack with it.
>>
>>46521430
The wand of viscid globs is overpowered in its mechanics I realize, so I'm just referring to the flavor elements of the thing. Maybe the effect being that it slows the target by 10ft/turn for 1d4 turns on a successful ranged spell attack?
>>
>>46521457
Alright, sounds more or less what I'm going for anyway. Best get a backstory together
>>
What is it about this game that attracts the Monty Python-quoting, lolsorandom people? Why do they still exist?
>>
>>46521539
Tabletop RPGs have done that for an extremely long time, this isn't news.
>>
>>46521448
How is that wrong? The thrown weapons are melee weapons that are making a ranged weapon attack.

It's a very similar mistake to unarmed strikes being melee weapon attacks, but fists not actually being melee weapons.
>>
>>46521353

You're thinking of a level 2 spell, Web. Using a level 2 spell on a cantrip would be pretty lame.

I'd see if your DM will let you take spider themed spells over the typical enchantment or illusion spells, too
>>
>>46521516
Samefag. Why not just re-flavor Ray of Frost? Deal bludgeoning damage and it slows them by 10 feet.
>>
>>46521539
I've been wondering the same damn thing. Get back to me when you know. I didn't even know what Monty Python was before getting into the hobby, now the shit is borderline triggering to hear during a game.

Except the "TIS BUT A SCRATCH!" quote in response to being critted twice by an Ettin. Shit still gets me.
>>
How effective at blasting are Warlocks?
>>
>>46521995
Very.
>>
>>46515183

hasnt he literally admitted to doing that though

like he;s proud as fuck to fund leftist cuases
>>
>>46521995
Effective enough. I like my blaster fiendlock. He definitely contributes in combat.
>>
>spend hours on a really cool character concept
>literally roll 5 and under for the whole session
>die horribly
>FINE FUCK THIS I'LL JUST BE A BORING FUCKING FIGHTER FOR MY NEW CHARACER FUUUUCK
>out of 30 rolls that night, 24 of them were natural 20's and not a one was below 18
>fighter is getting praised as the bestest and most badass mother fucker alive
>i hate him so fucking much i wanted to be a druid REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

what do?
>>
>>46522340
What do you mean what do? Stop being a whiny bitch, maybe.
>>
>>46522340
lol

Fate has other ideas, it appears. Multiclass into druid, maybe? Get some nature funk going?
>>
>>46522340
Multiclass nigga
>>
>>46521539
Shut up noob.
>>
>>46522402
>>46522409
>>46522422

But I'm already a level 3 Battlemaster. I dont like to multiclass because you cripple yourself.
>>
>>46522518
How do you cripple yourself?
>>
>>46522518
You only cripple yourself if you do it poorly. In your case, wait until at least Battlemaster 6 so you can pick up Extra Attack and your Second ASI, and make certain that your second class meshes well with your current one. Moon Druid sound like it would work decently well with Battlemaster, so maybe look into that.
>>
>>46522340
>be retarded
>make retarded decisions
>get upset at own retarded decisions
>lash out
>>
>>46522518

>He doesn't want to go Battlemaster/Moon Druid to use Maneuvers while shapeshifted to fuck up peeps with his bear claws even more.
>>
>>46521539
*hits you with a spork*
"Shut up you banana turd!" xD
>>
>>46515493
:)
>>
>you look at the character sheets of your players and notice that they're all Chaotic Neutral
What do you do?
>>
>>46522699
Nothing, because this didn't happen, because they make their characters in front of me.
>>
>>46522699
The same thing I was planning on doing after poking fun at them for a few seconds.
>>
>>46522699
Force them to make black and white decisions and then based on how they act adjust their alignment accordingly.

"Oh Dave, you just saved those orphans instead of killing them, you're chaotic good now."
>>
>>46522699
Prepare to have the laws of the world be screwed with, and screw with them in return.
>>
>>46522340
If you don't want to play that character any more, have him settle down and work at a bar or something.

> Frank settled down in the Valle
> And he hung his wild years on a nail that he drove through his wife's forehead
> He sold used office furniture out there on San Fernando Road
> And assumed a thirty thousand dollar loan at fifteen and a quarter percent
> And put a down payment on a little two bedroom place
> His wife was a spent piece of used jet trash
> Made good Bloody Marys, kept her mouth shut most of the time
> Had a little Chihuaha named Carlos
> That had some kind of skin disease and was totally blind
> They had a thoroughly-modern kitchen, self-cleaning oven, the whole bit
> Frank drove a little sedan, they were so happy
>>
>>46522340
>druid
>good

where did this meme come from?
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Added the new Adventurers League Backgrounds.
>>
And for anyone still unable to find them.
>>
>>46522939
What do you mean. Druid's pretty good. Moon Druid is even better.
>>
>>46522939
Back in the days of 3rd edition D&D and its more recent spinoffs (3.x, PF) the charop folks discovered that you could do basically anything any other class could do, frequently more effectively than they could, if you were a Cleric or Druid and your DM was stupid enough to never make any rulings to put a check on your power ever.
>>
>>46523011
But they have really dogshit spells, and wildshape stops being good after level 10 or so.
>>
>>46523017
And thus the concentration mechanic was born!
>>
File: Curse-of-Strahd-Backgrounds.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Curse-of-Strahd-Backgrounds.pdf
1 B, 486x500
moar backgrounds
>>
>>46522989
>>
>>46523038
I don't see how their spells are dogshit. Wildshape never stops being good if you're a Moon Druid. You have so many forms available to you that have so many different capabilities (movements, vision types, resistances) and in combat there are meatier forms with decent damage and a great health pool. Once you hit 10, in fact, you get access to Elemental Shapes.
>>
Rolled 1, 6, 2, 5, 1 + 1 = 16 (5d6 + 1)

>>46519940
>>46521353
>>46521516

>>46521430
>>46521599

So my DM approved it to work as follows:
>roll a ranged spell attack; choose either the body or the head
>on a successful hit, the target is (if body was chosen) restrained or (if head was chosen) blinded until the end of its next turn

I can use Mage Hand Legerdemain in synergy with this cantrip:
>hide
>cast mage hand
>cast web shot, blind target
>cunning action to pickpocket target with made hand
>their perception check gets disadvantage against my sleight of hand check

Any holes in this plan?

Also, I'm thinking of taking Green Flame Blade as my third cantrip to use in synergy with Web:
>web a group of enemies
>next turn, sneak attack green flame blade one of the restrained targets (auto sneak attack because if restraint, right?)
>after 5th level, the target takes a d8 of fire damage and the second target takes 1d8+spellcasting ability modifier of fire damage
>these creatures are in the web so they also take an extra d6 of fire damage (and the web burns away next turn)

So, assuming level 8 rogue (so that he can take Web, a non-enchantment/illusion spell), 16 dex (+3 modifier) a spellcasting ability modifier of +3, and a bladed melee weapon that gets like a d6 damage roll, we get:

Damage on first target:
>Sneak attack = 4d6
>Weapon attack = 1d6 + 3 (dex mod) + 3 (proficiency mod)
>Green Flame Blade = 1d8 fire damage
>Web on fire = 2d4 fire damage
Total damage = 5d6 + 1d8 + 2d4 + 6

Damage on the second target:
>Green Flame Blade = 1d8 + 3 (spellcasting ability modifier) fire damage
>Web on fire = 2d4 fire damage
Total damage = 1d8 + 2d4 + 3

Any holes in this strategy?
>>
>>46523042
True. I'm glad for the addition of concentration, personally. I was just pointing out that in 3rd edition the notion that Druids were just a shittier Cleric variant was broken. People well-versed in 21st century D&D are accustomed to the idea that Druid is a good class.
>>
File: holy statue.jpg (61 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
holy statue.jpg
61 KB, 500x499
Hello /5eg/, noobie here.

After a long campaign of harassment, a friend and I finally managed to convince another friend to DM for the both of us. He chose D&D 5th edition, with which I am not familiar at all, though I have played D&D 3rd & 4th as well as Pathfinder.

We'll be starting at level 1, and I know our DM hasn't got a lot of experience and has something of a mean streak.

Here's my question: what's a good novice class that I can pick and do OK with without reading the entirety of the 5srd beforehand?

Bonus question: it is likely we'll be playing a pre-written scenario/campaign, how tough are they? There'll be only two players, and I don't think our DM will lower the difficulty, do we need to optimize our characters real hard to survive?
>>
>>46523097
My only problem with moon druid is that they only get 2 users if wild shape until twenty. It's their core mechanic, they need to be able to use it at least once per encounter.
>>
>>46522917
Nice greentext, makes me wanna kill myself.
>>
>>46523097
When I was reading through the Curse of Strahd adventure I kept seeing spots where having one or more Druids on-hand would be super useful. More so than any other class.
>>
File: lotfp fighter.jpg (281 KB, 900x1168) Image search: [Google]
lotfp fighter.jpg
281 KB, 900x1168
>>46523147
Fighter with champion archetype is the simplest choice and a solid if no frills choice.

they should all be fine with the exception of Hoard of the Dragon Queen. it was a rush job by a 3rd party and it shows. I remember complaints about the opening confrontation(s) when it first came out...
>>
>>46523159
I understand, but Wild Shape does recharge on a short rest.
>>
>>46523159

Adventuring day is balanced around 2 encounters -> Short rest.

They get 2 uses per short rest, meaning they CAN use it at least once per encounter, if the DM is balancing the game properly.
>>
Working on a homebrew warlock pact option.

I like hex. Would this be overpowered?

You may cast hex without using a spell slot once per short rest, for each time you take this invocation. You can take this invocation any number of times.
>>
>>46521128
Barbarians have a larger number of features, and they're features that you have to keep track of even when it's not your turn. A rogue never has the equivalent of forgetting that his rage should have worn off because he didn't attack or take damage for a turn. The worst that can happen to a new rogue is forgetting that he can disengage after hitting someone, and that's not the kind of mistake that brings the game to a halt and forces the DM to retcon the last turn or two.
>>
>>46523147
>Here's my question: what's a good novice class that I can pick and do OK with without reading the entirety of the 5srd beforehand?

Literally anything it doesn't matter

5e is actually balanced
>>
File: The Great Race of Yith.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The Great Race of Yith.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Cthulhufag here. I decided to make a little more Cthulhu Mythos stuff, and copied the idea they had with the Revenant (non-race-specific subrcae), to let you play as the Great Race of Yith (or rather a mind of one possessing a murderhobo). Probably a bit too strong as a race, but being an alien mind from across space and time should grant you some fun things.

Not sure whether I'll just try to cram this somewhere in my existing "Disciples of the Outer Gods" pdf (it doesn't really fit under classes or monsters), or just put it in the mega as a separate thing.
>>
>>46523302
Can you please explain how you use Hex to its full advantage? I have a warlock in my party but his hexing never seems to be very potent.
>>
>>46523368
you hex at the start of the fight and get extra damage on all your eldritch blasts from then. seems self explanatory to me.
>>
>>46523368
Hex is good for laying down damage one opponent at a time, that's about it. You cast it once, concentrate on it, and switch it to a new target as a bonus action when you're done attacking that guy. Between encounters your DM might let you park it on an ally so you don't burn a spell slot needlessly.
>>
>>46523432
Could you just park it on yourself RAW?
>>
>>46523368
It's a bonus action spell with no save. Warlocks get an extra 4d6 from it at higher levels, but also you can use it to help your other casters get off their Dave it suck spells.

For example: choose wisdom and then use hold person. You can do all of this in one
turn.
>>
>>46523368
Step 1 apply hex
Step 2 hit thing
Step 3 if thing is dead, move hex to new thing, otherwise repeat step 2
>>
>>46523467
The only way to unpark it is for the creature to drop to zero HP. If you drop, you fall unconscious and lose concentration. Parking it is silly anyways. It's definitely not worth doing.
>>
>>46523467
>>46523432

>If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to curse a new creature.

If you put it on an ally you need to drop them to 0.

However, as a DM I interpret "before this spell ends" as any time within that 1 hour of concentration. You don't have to "park" it on anyone, it stays on your last victim unless you break concentration or move it to another as a bonus action.
>>
>>46522632
You are no great humorist.
>>
>>46522699
Alignment is just a rubric to further define your character's outlook and circumstances, so I chill and see how their characters embody their version of Chaotic Neutral.
>>
>>46523467
>>46523432
Things to note. You can shift it to a new target subsequently using a bonus action. There is no time limit on when that has to be used, so the 'Lock can just wait until he sees a new target after the last one died.

In fact, parking it on an ally or yourself is an awful choice. By RAW, the only way you can get it off at that point is by reducing the target to 0 HP, so parking it on an ally would necessitate knocking them unconscious and parking it on the self means it is wasted (concentration broken when you go unconscious).
>>
>>46523537
Depends on how strictly you interpret "subsequent". I think context makes that immediately after.

Regardless, you can just carry a bag of rats and hex them to park it.
>>
>>46523523
Okay, so you bring a bat of rats with you. After you finish the encounter, pull out a rat, hang the rat by its tail on a fish hook on your belt, and park the hex on it. Before your party aggroes the next enemy/group of enemies (or at the first available opportunity in the case of the enemy having a surprise attack for example), snap the rat's neck and transfer the hex to your next target.
>>
>>46523592

Look up "Subsequent." It just means "sometime afterwards."
Nothing implies it has to be the next turn only.

This also makes casting it at a higher level actually make sense. Nobody is going to be in combat for 8 or 24 straight hours.

>>46523624
you don't have to do this reeee stop it with the rat sacks
>>
How terribad is one level in Druid and then multiclassing into rouge? One of my players just hit level two and is switching due rp reasons. I'm all down for it but I worry that he might fall behind in combat.
>>
>>46523097
>don't see how the spells are dogshit

I don't know how else to describe them. They aren't good.

their only offensive cantrip is 30 foot and pulls the enemy 10 foot, and does 1d8 damage.

bad.
>>
>If you reach 0 HP and are downed, you gain a level of exhaustion.
Does this make death too punishing crunch-wise?
>>
>>46523592
Strictly, subsequent wouldn't have a time limit. It takes a much looser reading of the word to ascribe it a new definition. If they wanted it to be immediate, they would have used a more apt word, such as consequent or successive.
>>
>>46523182
Thanks, I'll look it up!

>>46523337
My issue is not with balance, but with complex mechanics which might pop up in a class I'm not familiar with.
>>
>>46523797
You can't possibly be serious
I really hope you're trolling because otherwise you're a retard
>>
>>46519956
Punch him in the face and quit the game.
>>
>>46521001
So you're trying to sell stolen goods, taken from a cop. brilliant, your GM should have let you get the 5 bucks you'd get from a shitty mass produced axe and then had the guards breathing down your neck in the next hour.

Goods are only valuable if you can sell them. Stolen goods are less valuable because they're hard to sell, guard equipment is impossible to sell because it's made for guards only, no merchant or fence would be stupid enough to buy that shit, no person would be dumb enough to use it because it's a big flashing sign saying "this shit was obtained illegally. And for the money it would take to alter it enough to be untraceable but still usable you might as well just buy a new fucking axe.
>>
>>46523776
Generally when multiclassing you want to hit at least 3 to pick an archetype. If 1 Druid/19 Rogue is his plan he's not really getting much except some parlor tricks.

Druid 3/Rogue 17 or some other mix makes him either a sneaky-ass Moon druid panther or a rogue with some neat caster tricks if he goes Land Druid.

I just wouldn't suggest Arcane Tricker, since then he'll want Int as well and his stats would be stretched pretty thin.
I'd go Assassin. Become the ultimate hitman and predator, sneaking into places as a mouse and then lying in ambush.
>>
I'm making a system for wilderness travel. Thoughts on this night watch mechanic?

Option 1:
>every night, one person takes watch for the night, rolls perception, DC is based on danger of region, if failed some bad thing happens (camp attacked, food is spoiled or eaten by animals, an unknown threat picks up the party's trail..., etc, possibly based on a random table)
>said person doesn't have exhaustion removed that rest

Option 2:
>Same as 1, except there's no exhaustion interaction, and the DM randomly determines who rolls for that night

Option 3:
>same as 2, except everyone rolls, and badness happens if failures exceed successes
>>
>>46523797
You're actually retarded.
>>
File: UA Gothic Characters.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
UA Gothic Characters.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Thoughts on new UA?
>>
>>46524276
inquisitive
>>
>>46524276
>Revenant
Meh

>Inquisitive
Garbage

>Monster Hunter
"If they're just gonna give every fighter superiority dice they should've just made it a class mechanic"
>>
>>46524308
>"If they're just gonna give every fighter superiority dice they should've just made it a class mechanic"
1000x this.
>>
>>46524101
The watchman should not be able to create monsters or spoil food just by having bad vision. The Perception check should only determine whether the party sees an attack coming, not whether an attack happens at all. The way you should do it is to have a random encounter table for each region. Each day the party spends in the wild in that region (and the length of the trip is determined by the party leader's Survival check) roll on the table. Most of the time nothing should happen, but sometimes monsters will attack in the night, sometimes they'll try to ambush the party on the trail during the day, and sometimes they may encounter noncombat problems like bad water or sinkholes.

And the overland travel speeds assume that the party is only marching for about 10 hours a day. That's plenty of time for the party to rest in shifts so that everyone gets a long rest each day while still having a watchman on duty.
>>
>>46522962
Oh yeah, so I found out it's Harborfolk, not Haborfolk.
>>
>>46524429
>The Perception check should only determine whether the party sees an attack coming, not whether an attack happens at all. The way you should do it is to have a random encounter table for each region. Each day the party spends in the wild in that region (and the length of the trip is determined by the party leader's Survival check) roll on the table. Most of the time nothing should happen, but sometimes monsters will attack in the night, sometimes they'll try to ambush the party on the trail during the day, and sometimes they may encounter noncombat problems like bad water or sinkholes.

But why? For what purpose? Those have the exact same outcome, but one rewards the party for having good skills, while the other is purely random chance.
>>
>>46524308
I like that, imagine:

Champion: you can use your superiority die to HIT THING HARDER
>>
>>46519956
adult red dragon is worth 18000xp divided amongst your party. he is a fucking kike
>>
>>46524471
>HIT THING HARDER
>HIT TWO THINGS
>HIT FAR THING

The options are limitless, anon.
>>
>>46522962
>>46524438
Also, Insugent->Insurgent
>>
>>46524504
>CRIT THINGS MORE
>CRIT THINGS HARDER
>>
>>46524504
What a world to be alive in, anon
>>
So as I understand it, Invisibility trumps Pass Without Trace in cases of simply trying to hide, not considering being tracked right?

And by trumps, I mean makes obsolete.
>>
>>46524471
>>46524504
>>46524530
Although in a way monster hunter already does that exact thing
>HIT THING HARDER
>HIT THING BETTER
>>
>>46524635
.... make thing hit itself?
>>
>>46524566
Both are very solid in their own way. Pass without trace is perfect for group stealthing to ambush or bypass a group of enemies. Invisibility is better for solo stealth missions to steal something or assassinate a single person.
>>
>>46524566
They are useful for different things. Invisibility seeks to make it so no one sees you going. Pass Without Trace seeks to make it so no one sees you when you are gone. PWT might actually be better for someone with high Stealth, as it makes it so there is litle evidence of that person to track once they are gone.
>>
Can someone please tell me why there isn't a Ranger subclass that is to the Druid spell list what the Arcane Trickster is to the Wizard spell list?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.