[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
needs tips on what i can add to these boards to make more cover
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: DSC02681[1].jpg (59 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
DSC02681[1].jpg
59 KB, 640x480
needs tips on what i can add to these boards to make more cover for necromunda,mordheim,frostgrave, etc
>>
File: rioolsamenboven[1].jpg (110 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
rioolsamenboven[1].jpg
110 KB, 640x480
>>46501790
like some sort of removable pieces that would fit nicely
>>
File: 4borden[1].jpg (125 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
4borden[1].jpg
125 KB, 640x480
>>46501808
>>
File: DSC02707[1].jpg (131 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
DSC02707[1].jpg
131 KB, 640x480
>>46501823

i already have some modular stuff. each board has 5 places with ladders or ways to hide/remove ladders.
>>
>>46501790
How about some removable bridges?
So you can connect some of the higher areas?

Anyway does look pretty good so far. So have a bump from a fellow countryman.
>>
>>46501808
>>46501823
That looks dope as fuck. Mostly just cut foam that's given a paintjob? What are the dimensions of each square, 1ft x 1ft? Using about an inch or so as the height of each layer?
>>
i dont have more pics but i filled the boards up with painted glue so theres a green non-see-through muk on all the black spaces. also made i made small bridges on all the points of the board with the little steps that go into the black parts.

bigger removable bridges sound kinda cool but what do you mean with connecting higher areas.

>>46502118
i used the thickness of the foam plates as a way to make things fit. so most places are like 1 times the thickness of the board and others 3 times.

i had like a few pieces set aside i used to measure, like fore the actual large spaces i used the 3 times thickness piece 2-3times.

i also want to mention you could use the boards as a buildings. like floor 1,2,3,4 or 2 boards next to each other and 2 boards next to each other but a floor higher.
like i said earlier every board has 5 points for ladders.
>>
I don't have any tips cause I don't even know what game this is for, but this looks dope as fuck and I hope you get good input.
>>
>>46502200
>painted glue
What's the process there, if you don't mind me asking?

And I think what they meant by bridges is just paths that connect upper areas directly, rather than requiring climbing to reach them. Catwalks and bridges, that sort of thing.

>>46502253
Any small skirmish game, really. Frostgrave, Mordheim, Necromunda, Infinity, Deadzone, etc.
>>
>>46502283
there are probably better ways, but glue was cheap as fuck and i needed a lot, so i put green paint in wood-glue and poured like 5 tubes of it on the board.

>nd I think what they meant by bridges is just paths that connect upper areas directly, rather than requiring climbing to reach them. Catwalks and bridges, that sort of thing

ooooooh, i made this keeping in mind it is underground so the top of the walls actually hit the ceiling, i can also stack the mup for easy storage since they are all exactly the same height on all places (with what i imagined was the ceiling)

but yeah i might need to make a ton of removable things and turn it into an outside sewer,
>>
>>46502507
My first thought looking at it was that it was a ruin, so depending on the actual physical details you work in, it could be repurposed that way. I'm coming from the DnD background of "use your imagination, even when inconvenient" though, and it seems like tactical games with maps tend to add scale details to maps, based on pics I see.

How long has making these taken so far, OP?
>>
>>46502717
i dont really know, i really enjoyed the cutting part, just randomly place stuff and glue it on the board. probably took 2 hours cutting and gluing the first board but it got faster after each board.

i forced my brother to help me paint so that was 2 hours to paint everything black (needed to lay it on reeeaaal thick, this stuff sucked in paint) then i took another 1-2 hours for each layer, i did 3 layers (after the black layer)
>>
One thing you can do is to coat the foam (or whatever) in glue, pour fine sand all over it, then shake off the excess. Just like the fast and cheap way to base models. The paint can be spray primered and then painted whatever colour and it will look like stone if you didn't gob the paint on too thick or use sand that was too chunky. The benefit is that you don't have to worry about how paint will react with whatever the base material is, because it's under a layer of sand and PVA.
>>
>>46502998

It also adds a protective layer against cuts and bumps, which foam landscape always has a problem with. It sucks when you spend all your time to make something, then after a few games you see the little white balls start to come out of the walls, or you can start seeing the pink or white colours on the edges where it gets worn.
>>
>>46502998
thanks, will try on a different set of boards. but for these i am really looking for ways to add more modular terrain, mainly cover because i think there are to many open spots.
>>
>>46503035
i used really thick protective paint, so far no issues. stuff wasn't even more expensive then normal paint.
>>
File: sewer ladders.png (807 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
sewer ladders.png
807 KB, 1632x1224
>>46501823
i just wanted to mention that these parts are removable. if you look at the thing the yellow is placing.

the small things against the walls are little blocks that hide ladders, the large block i can just pull out in whole and replace by either a block with a ladder or without a ladder.

this way you can play on multiple levels
>>
>>46503151
so maybe in the same way i could add some removable rubble. i am not sure what else besides rubble i can use as modular terrain.
>>
>>46503873
I was going to suggest road blocks yeah. Full height or half height. I guess climb checks are a thing in mordheim
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.