[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any tips/resources on how to decently play as a warrior-poet/warrior
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1439115728662.jpg (217 KB, 1120x800) Image search: [Google]
1439115728662.jpg
217 KB, 1120x800
Any tips/resources on how to decently play as a warrior-poet/warrior philosopher?
>>
Quote the Book of Five Rings at random times.
>>
You 'make love to fair maidens', you do not pig-fuck sluts behind the inn.
>>
>>46487938
>Any tips/resources on how to decently play as a warrior-poet/warrior philosopher?

Be intelligent and introspective.

Also stab people to death.
>>
>>46487938
You have a rap battle with your foes before the actual duel
>>
>>46487938
Have a reason for why the character is a warrior poet. It doesn't need to be deep, or anything, but have a specific point in the character's life where you could see him/him having either warfare or philosophy/poetry enter his/her life. Perhaps as a squire the character met a woman at his Lord's table who simply seemed to understand the world in a different way. Perhaps the warrior fought in a distant land where he/she encountered a culture that highly emphasized public poetry in the town plazas every week. Or maybe when the character was at his/her lowest they were inspired by a preacher reciting scripture/an academic creating new ways of thinking/ a small local boy pretending to reenact the deeds of a legendary mythic hero and it pushes the character to find a code to live by.

Once you establish that you can make the character into a great poet warrior. use that memory to set the tone of the character's philosophy/poetry.
>>
>>46488285
>I do not "gank terrified teenage boys who were conscripted by an incompetent lord to guard their homeland"
>I defeat vile servants of the dark lord in single combat!

>I do not sack tombs and live like a fatted hog off the spoils
>I liberate relics from savage lands and bring them to cultured collectors who will preserve them for posterity!

Alternatively, OP could just describe his character laboriously composing a fantasy novel about a strange world where people drive magic wagons with no horses, and where lords with the power to vaporize cities enslave countless peons in prisons with cloth walls, using their sorcerer's to make the peons believe they actually WANT to be imprisoned there.
>>
>>46487938
Be as pretentious as possible and see how long it is before one of your fellow party members tries to get you killed.
>>
>>46487938
Same way you play anything else well. You look at your inspiration for playing it to begin with, you try to understand the motivation of your character. You read up a ton on relevant topics so that when you're in character you contribute to the immersion of the other players by expressing yourself and acting in a manner befitting of your character.

So. Where did you get the warrior poet idea feom? Look there for inspiration. What do you think is cool about it, that's why you should focus on. How do you make it original or put your own spin on it, that's going to determine how memorable and interesting your character is.
>>
>>46489792
Wait, everyone doesn't have a dick-assed thief that always tries to get at least one person killed so he can get a bigger share?
>>
>>46487938
John Keegan's "The History of Warfare" has some good sections about the lawful bearer or arms and degrees of lucidity from warrior castes in different time periods. The audiobook is fucking comfy.
>>
>>46487938
Watch Mystery Men and practice the style of sayings that The Sphinx uses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5I94bT23cQ
>>
Play your character as Marcus Aurelius.
>>
File: julius_caesar_stabbing.jpg (74 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
julius_caesar_stabbing.jpg
74 KB, 620x412
>>46488302
>Also stab people to death

This part is very important
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.